Tengu Being Added? Female?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well DID10 is this weekend, it's possible we'll get some sort of announcement seeing as it's the first event on The Road To TFC. (You guys should so totally start planning on being at TFC btw)

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I honestly never really cared about Tengu, but all the teasing followed by the sex change showed a massive disrespect to the fanbase. That they think so lowley of us that they automaticaly "know" we won't buy anything without tits

When i say I'm proud to be an asshole, it's precisely because of things like this, I don't like being mean but it's preferable to the bullshitting TN does.

Female Tengu

you couldn't say to use Bankotsubo without giving him his classic clumsiness or villain arrogance, so not giving an "image" too much far from his old one.

Why is that a problem? And what's with the girl? She couldn't use that clumsy style as well. I don't think that TN just copied Tengus style 1:1 on that character. How would this be a problem for a new male, more humaoid, Tengu DOA5'ish design?

the sex change showed a massive disrespect to the fanbase

I'm not a fan of Tengu (but I do like his appearance and design he always had) but I somewhow agree with this one here.

gnooz

I hope TN will erase all bosses from history and will create brand new boss for DOA6 just like this devil child boss from RE4 :) Imagine Marie vs this thing lol.

Resident-Evil-4.jpg

Kronin

Why is that a problem? And what's with the girl? She couldn't use that clumsy style as well. I don't think that TN just copied Tengus style 1:1 on that character. How would this be a problem for a new male, more humaoid, Tengu design?

I think that when @gnooz talked of a dumb Tengu he was talking of Bankotsubo and not of another character substituting him as this girl or a real Tengu (fully inhuman). So when I answered to you I was giving for granted that you were discussing about bringing back Bankotsubo, not another full Tengu.

If the fans of Bankotsubo dislike to get a "Tengu" human girl, I think that they would dislike even more to get a character from the Tengu race (so fully inhuman) not being the same old DoA2 boss.

And I agree, from the smile the character seems to me "evilish" smart (as a Kitsune for making an example) and not clumsy, another reason because I don't think that she will move or will make the same "grunts" of Bankotsubo.

@Russian-chiropractic19 I think that considering the great sympathy that Tengu get in this forum, we fans of him could be all partially blinded from the effective popularity of the character out there (sadly).

Yes, this move definitely cant satisfy completely his fandom and I think that TN is the first to know it, but under this pov the fact that in the end they could bring back his moveset is for me a sign of respect for the people that asked for him.

Last edited:

Female Tengu

I pretty sure gnooz was talking about his creature-like look. I don't see a problem with that when TN can redesign his face/body, just as they did with most girls in the game.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT complaining here becasue I'm anything but a Tengu player or even fan. It's great to have that (maybe reworked) fighting style back. But I don't ignore his fanbase and that characters existence, so that's why I talk about him, TNs design choice (which is obvious because bewbie-based DLC sells better in DOA) and possible not-creature-like-looking designs.

But I will also bring that statement: I would be pissed if TN suddenly changes the sex of Ayane.

Last edited:

Kronin

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that the old DoA2 boss would have returned with his same personaly but with a design definitely more cool looking and fearful compared to the past: I think that the mask alone of this new character give a good vibe about it.

gnooz

Actually TN solved these Tengu lovers biggest problem they made him playable Tengu character. Maybe thats why they redesigned him but they could have made redesigned male!!!!!!! He isn't boss anymore she will be selectable for next games too, yaay....

I will continue talk about DOA 6 :) for DOA6 boss I want child boss maybe just like psychic sailor Saturn from sailor moon. Sci fi oriented theme more preferable than devil theme for me :)

Kronin

Actually TN solved these Tengu lovers biggest problem they made him playable Tengu character. Maybe thats why they redesigned him but they could have made redesigned male!!!!!!!

Until now my only complaint with this new character - considered in itself without thinking to Bankotsubo - is just this: a lost chance for creating a new male one.

But I like to think that, in addition to the obvious bigger appeal of the women in the series, TN got this decision also for paying homage to the "Female Tengu" concept used in Ayane's DoA2 line and so ingrained in the mind of the fans along the years. There is a reason because, even if the idea was never more mentioned or hinted in the series, "NG Clans" got an Ayane female tengu card: the concept ended to be really popular for the fandom.

Last edited:

gnooz

I am sure next character gonna be a boy!! Only good thing about this female Tengu release is this. This makes you sure about future :)

Kronin

I am sure next character gonna be a boy!! Only good thing about this female Tengu release is this. This makes you sure about future :)

I like to think it, but I'm not more so sure: personally I continue to believe that TN will close the DLC roster with a female character. So in this moment I think that we could end to get a male one only if after there is still a girl.

Brute

Standard Donor
Almost everyone was in panic mode "OMG NOT ANOTHER CLONE" "ITS OBVIOUSLY AYANE!" "CANT TEAM NINJA CREATE ANYTHING ORIGINAL!?"

3 days later, guess what, it's not a clone, it's not ayane,
Of course, there were those of us who jumped in panic mode going "OMG NOT ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR FANSERVICE INSTEAD OF BANKOTSUBO" and of course we were totally fucking right.

and it's pretty original to be a female tengu.
I'm not sure I'd say another move thief with boobs is "pretty original."

Of course, we don't know that she's a move thief with boobs. But considering that 3/4 of TN's latest new characters are, I'm guessing there's a pretty good chance we've got some of that action goin' on here, too.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I like to think it, but I'm not more so sure: personally I continue to believe that TN will close the DLC roster with a female character. So in this moment I think that we could end to get a male one only if after there is still a girl.

it might go new male, then irene.

im going to go the optimistic side and say TNs choice was based on their little faith in Tengu and not just guys in general.

gnooz

and it's pretty original to be a female tengu.

I don't think she is original from those pictures she looks like a customization of Kunimitsu even her mole is in same spot lol.

Number 13

For those still asking "WHY!?" this is happening the answer is pretty obvious. Tekken Revolution awhile ago did a character vote poll consisting of ten characters where the top voted one would be added into the game. The list had females, males, and even bizarre creatures like Tengu such as a giant mantis or a salmon. Unsurprisingly the result ended with Vampire girl being first place, Sexy Tekken Force Girl being second place, Shin Kamiya (fangirl #1 pick) got 3rd place, sexy zombie bride getting 4th place, etc. You get my point.

If a game like Tekken that doesn't make their fan-service aspect too obvious compared to DoA has a fanbase that would prioritize the "sexy" females over rugged males or bizarre creatures then you know how the overall DoA community would have handled it. Since TN is making the characters paid DLC unlike Tekken Revolution that made the female vampire free (with some big grinding involved though) that means whatever character they pick has to be marketable outside of a niche demographic and bring something different (even if minor) to the DoA table.

MR (gothic Lolita that feels like Lili + Alisa) and P4 (clone of the popular mascot character of the series with flashy teleport cancels and air grabs) both fulfill these minimum requirements as DLC candidates. Sex and Violence sells to the masses in nearly any form of media (I.E the big picture) and can't blame TN that the market hasn't shifted in favor of loving bizarre looking creatures over individuals with the XX chromosome. This doesn't mean that males or even bizarre looking creatures are off the table even if they are paid DLC. TN might throw a bone and sacrifice a bit of potential profit just for the sake of meeting the minimum quota of a single non-female addition just for the sake of adding one. In any case, can't deny that this masked female Tengu wasn't a smart rational decision because I would be lying if I claimed old Tengu would sell a fraction as this masked female would.

Kronin

A great work like always @THE_WORST_KOKORO! I really think that she could end to appear pretty close to your "identikit"

I don't think she is original from those pictures she looks like a customization of Kunimitsu even her mole is in same spot lol.

I'm starting to think that the mole is more a clichè element than something owned by Kunimitsu. Even the TK Dinasty Warriors's character Lady Nō or Nōhime got the same peculiar trait (credit to the user 1111qq from Gamefaq for the find):

No-sw3.jpg

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD