The International Interviews: #21 Blackmoonrisingx

ikodomo

"Respect Da Shoulder"
- Blackmoonrisingx

wkob52.jpg

We are back at it again with another edition of the International Interviews. This time it's another player coming from the online community and demonstrating to the offline scene that you can place high in majors no matter where you train or the inexperience you have in tournaments. Progressing exponentially and beating the likes of Gehaktbal and Sonic Fox at last year's major, NEC; Blackmoonrisingx has been garnering attention for his phenomenal 7th place result at the highly stacked tournament. Now with the new year upon us, he is looking to forward to improving his resume and placing consistently high with his tricky and savvy Lei Fang.

Name?

Xavier Alvarez

Gaming Alias?

Blackmoonrisingx

Country of Origin?

The Peoples Republic of Shoulder... Lol jk USA

Where does the name Blackmoonrisingx come from?

The 1980s film starring Tommy Lee Jones in... Black Moon Rising. Nah, it's actually inspired from an album cover from the band Converge. The name of the album is "All We Love We Leave Behind." The album art cover is the different phases of the moon, from full moon to new moon, a white moon fading to black. Also while thinking of my new gamertag at the time, I was reading a manga chapter from Bleach and it was called, Black Moon Rising. That's the chapter where Ichigo Kurosaki obtains his bankai form and fights Byakuya Kuchiki to save Rukia. Ever since the name just rolled with me. I guess I should mention the "x" part from my gamertag Blackmoonrisingx, is a reference to a Lei Fang I admired. She was known as Yellow Dragon X and her patriotism and the setups she had with Lei Fang inspired me. From there I said to myself that Lei Fang is the one.

You like anime? How about Manga? What are your favorite Anime and Manga series?

I enjoy watching anime. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is my most favorite. Recently I haven't been reading and watching anime, and it's mostly due to lack of interest and the last one I was interested in was Prison School.

What did you think of Prison School? That anime was awesome!

I thought it was pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the next season. The live action was also pretty decent.

Who is your main character in DOA5LR?

Lei Fang

What makes Lei Fang so intriguing to you than any other character?

Her technicality, she's pretty technical... and her shoulder is amazing!

What would be her pros and cons?

Cons: I would say her poor range, somewhat linear attacks that can easily be side stepped. I guess if the player abuses her holds, that can hurt the Lei Fang player.

Pros: Parries, Offensive Hold resets, her 4P+K parries high and mid punches. This woman is capable of making her opponent not have a turn to attack. Oh man, don't get me started on the things she can do with her mid kick hold!

Who are Lei Fangs best and worst match ups in DOA5LR?

It all depends on the stage. Personally I don't think she has a bad match up; however, if I'm playing a stage with a ceiling against Gen Fu or ninjas, I would say it's in their favor. Slippery surface definitely is in Gen Fu's favor. A lot of people say Lei Fang vs Ayane is a bad matchup for Lei Fang but that's not necessarily true. Sure, Lei Fang is pretty bad when it comes to range and the Lei Fang player cannot approach Ayane easily but that doesn't make it a terrible a matchup. Lei Fang has the tools to deal with such shenanigans.

As for best matchups, I never really thought of this, maybe Hitomi. I usually stop Hitomi players. When Hitomi players knock me down they usually go for that anti wake up kick and most of the time I see that coming and mid kick hold on wake up. Probably Rachel as well but I don't know, I never thought of it...

Honestly, in a game like DOA, it's mainly player matchups because I can't do certain things to a player like I can do to someone else. That's one of the cool things about this game. There's no terrible matchup in DOA that's like in Injustice, General Zod vs Lex Luthor and let me tell ya... That match up is by far one of the worst matchups I ever seen in a fighter. I recommend people to watch that and then compare that matchup to DOA and ask themselves, "is DOA like this?" Absolutely not. There's no matchup like that in DOA.

Do you have any specific Lei Fang players you learn from?

Yellow Dragon X, Requiem, and TeruRock.

Who are the Lei Fang players people need to keep a close eye on?

Requiem, NykNyks, and TeruRock. Don't keep an eye on me people, I'm bad...

Any tips for the up and coming Lei Fang players?

When in doubt... 3P+K

Favorite Lei Fang Costume?

Pop Idol!

jglkls.jpg

How long have you been playing DOA for fun?

Over... -counts finger- 10 years? It's been a long time.

Competitive player?

1 year so far, 2016 will be my second year.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Condition
Bait
Shoulder

Any weaknesses in your game you are trying to improve on?

I have no offline fundamentals and I wish I can improve them. All I have is online and the timing screws me up when I play offline. NEC was actually the first time I tried to utilize fuzzy guarding, the 334 method.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament?

Going over setups, gather some Intel, playing training mode, and practice not dropping combos in order to get used to the offline timing.

Do you have any players you train with for an upcoming tournament?

Not really, but whenever I travel with my NC folks, I play with them.

Are you the type of person who listens to music or chats amongst friends right before a tournament start?

Listen to music.

What Genres of Music do you typically listen to?

Classical, Heavy Metal, Alternative Rock, Instrumental, old school rap, anything that sounds good really.

What are the tournaments you have attended thus far? What were the results?

TFC 2014:
I have no idea lol I remember playing Hajin in losers and he eliminated me. I don't know the placing for this tournament.

Final Round 18: 7th

TFC 2015: 9th

Defend the North: 7th

NEC 16: 7th (most recent)

I can't for my life place higher than 7th :(

If people want to have a good laugh they should watch this...

How did you think you did at last year's NEC?

I think I did pretty well. I wish I could've done better but my lack of offline is holding me back.

vs Gehaktbal

Can you tell us about your experience at NEC?

It was an amazing event! Lots of upsets, player maturity, the hype, and hanging out with your long distant friends!

vs Sonic Fox

Any funny, interesting or fascinating stories you would like to share with us while you were at NEC?

Hm, I remember Mz. Hoodless telling a story about Gehaktbal getting wasted and he challenged someone to a money match and was running towards that person and in the middle of running towards the person he challenged, he collapsed. He was that wasted. He was like, O_O "MONEY MATCH!" According to her.

Planning on going to any tournaments this year (2016)?

Yes.

Any specific tournaments you aiming to go to this year?

WinterBrawl X Final Round 19 TFC SCR Defend the North (maybe, I don't want our game to be screwed over again like it did last year.) and NEC

Interested in traveling internationally to play in tournaments around the world? If so, where? Why?

JAPAN!!!!!

Because fighting games and Dead or Alive is more appreciated. The game I enjoy playing is more appreciated in Japan than here.

Do you think there will be another Battle Royale circuit for this year?

I hope so, it was pretty good!

What do you think of the DOA scene in America?

It's progressing.

Do you think the US is the best in the world when it comes to DOA?

Not anymore.

Do you think the American players have been improving as a whole or only a small group of players?

Just a handful are improving.

Which versions of DOA do you hate the most? Why?

DOA4, I think it's so stupid being able to do a hold after a wall splat. The game had some cool stages though but that there being able hold after a wall splat is dumb.

If you had one sentence you would like to tell Team Ninja, what would that be?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to play this amazing 3D Fighter, I LOVE IT!

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

Hm... I enjoy watching JC Akira. Akira matches are hype! I also enjoy watching Sweet Revenge because he plays a derpy character and to this day it still amazes the things he can do with Gen Fu. Every time I watch Sweet Revenge doing something nasty, I shake my head and say, "so stupid...". TeruRock is another I enjoy watching and watching him makes me feel so... disappointed in myself but at the same time happy for him. He's way ahead of me with Lei Fang. He's still the one I want to play against and I achieved that dream match at NEC but it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

In the US, players like to move around or hit their opponent when they have won a round. In Asia, it is customary for the winner of that round to just stand there. Why do you think that is?

To show respect towards their opponent perhaps.

Do you think the US players should follow suit with Asia or do you think we should just do whatever we want?

If it allows the person to become humble, then sure.

Does it bother you when people hit or taunt you when you lay on the ground after each round you've lost ?

Depends who it is.

Any commentators you enjoy listening to?

Master, Allan Paris, Zakurye (he did a great job at TFC.

How is the South Carolina scene?

Not active.

Really? Sounds Rough. Can you tell us more about your scene and the players people should look out for?

Well, I don't know how often the folks from South Carolina have casuals and the folks from Charlotte, we're spread out.

As for players to look out for:

South Carolina: Onsen, Immerwolf, that one Ayane player who made top 8 at TFC KP RestlessTick I think is his gamertag.

North Carolina: Tempest Lancer, Keyon No, KP Savage, HK_Solenerro, Jyakotu, and myself. No need to worry, NC is free :(

Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its potential growth?

I have no idea, we're all too far away.

What are best places people need to visit in your area?

Cary sucks, but if you're in North Carolina and travel to Asheville, Asheville is pretty awesome.

What are your favorite foods and drinks?

Chinese food, pizza, root bear, liquor, and tea!

Hobbies?

I play Violin every now and then, I suck though. Heavy Metal/Hardcore Vocal Covers.

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue....

I will mash out of negatives, with 3P+K.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

Gen Fu, Christie, Helena, Ninjas, and Rachel.

What's your take on DOAX3?

I'm impressed but no Lei Fang :(

Are you interested in DOA6 coming out anytime soon?

Yes.

Anything you would like to see being added or removed for DOA6?

A better side step system and the ability to break throws. I think it's silly if an opponent forwards grabs me after I'm blocking several strikes, I can't break those type of throws. I'm only allowed to break standing throws and offensive holds. I guess Lei Fang could use some adjustments in her Sabaki and other characters that have Sabaki tools. I feel that if I Sabaki a back turned move, I deserve a better reward. At least give me a limbo stun. 6P+K Sabaki should be a single guess method instead of a double guess and it should be similar to Kokoro's Sabaki and whenever she lands her Sabaki, she can go for a critical burst after landing her Sabaki. I just feel that Lei Fang should get that because her 6P+K is very slow and it gets beaten out even if you make the right call.

If you were given the chance to create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, What character would you create? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I guess... A younger version of Ip Man. As for gender, I guess female because the chances are higher lol. Martial arts: Wing Chun

Why play DOA over any other fighting game competively?

I was actually aiming for Tekken but I had a match against LordXav1er online and he's the one who recommended me to participate in DOA tournaments.

Why did DOA capture your interest?

It's similar to Virtua Fighter and Virtua Fighter was my very first fighter I ever played.

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

The Lei Fang mirror match against TeruRock. It was the one moment I ever wanted in a tournament, however; I lost. I really wanted to win but he was too damn good and it goes to show that my Lei Fang has a long way to go. Even though I was disappointed in myself, I hugged TeruRock because it was his last day before he leaves to Japan, a sportsmanship kind of thing I guess... I don't know, I just felt the need to hug him because he and I went through hell in pools to make this Lei Fang mirror happen.

vup04.jpg

2e372p1.jpg

*Credits to Nerd Jawns for the amazing photos*​

What other games do you play for fun? Competitively?

Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege, Metal Gear Solid V, Dynasty Warriors, Guilty Gear (trying to get into it competitively), Virtua Fighter 5 FS (too bad this game is pretty much dead here, I would've play this competively) too many games I play for fun.

If you could give any advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

Make sure it's worth it and hopefully it'll make you into a better person.

Twitter? Youtube? Facebook?

@_fullmetalx

http://facebook.com/blackmoonrisingx

My YouTube is pretty much dead, I barely use it.

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to my Lei Fang family: TeruRock, NykNyks, Requiem, Virtua Kazama, MissMaia, Blackula and iLeifang :)

Shoutouts to Rikuto and thank you for spending your time training me in DOA5. I wouldn't have made it this far without ya! :)

Thank you NykNyks for boosting my spirits up. I'm still green to these events and your encouragement really helps! :)

Thank you Requiem for having the opportunity to give me some Lei Fang tips and I don't know if you're aware of this, but you're actually the first Lei Fang player I watched in tournament videos and wanted to be just as good as you with Lei. :)

Thank you BBoy Dragon for coaching me against TeruRock. I was getting destroyed and kept panicking. I was doing well on the second set but I messed it up. I don't think I could've gone that far in that match if it wasn't for you. Thanks bro! :)

Special shoutouts to LordXav1er for convincing me to participate in DOA tournament. I was actually aiming to play Tekken competitively. Thanks buddy! OSU! :)

Special thanks to TeruRock, it was awesome meeting you in person and your Lei Fang is fun to watch. Maybe one day I can go to Japan, play arcades, go on tours, and I'll have my run back. I'LL HAVE MY REVENGE! XD

Shoutouts to Tom Lee, Yasushi Tani, and Team Ninja. I'm happy to be part of the DOA community, supporting the game and will continue to do so by showing up to these awesome events! Thank you for allowing me to play a fantastic 3D fighter I enjoyed playing for over 10 years now! >:D

2sbk31d.jpg

Last edited:

ikodomo

Hey guys! Sorry for the long delay. With ongoing personal reasons on my end, I had very little time to work on the interviews. However, just a heads up, there will be another interview coming out next week from a player that has been highly requested for quite a while. The week after that (hopefully i'm not too busy then) will be another one "old school" DOA players will know and remember. Again, please let me know if you have any feedback whatsoever with the interviews. I enjoy reading all of your comments, Lovers and Haters. Thank you all again for your support!

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Gotta proof these man. Glad to see them still going up though.

Fullmetal

Money match?
I don't know the exact details but you were wasted and challenged someone according to her story. No money match was involved because you collapsed, it's a funny story she told us though. I wish I could have seen that lol

Darkslay

I was wondering when X's turn would come, glad its finally here!
If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Condition
Bait
Shoulder
Shoulder
Shoulder
Shoulder
Don't keep an eye on me people, I'm bad...
The only thing scrubby about you will only ever be your attitude towards yourself, be proud, dude! I'm ready for more upsets this year. ;D

Fullmetal

I was wondering when X's turn would come, glad its finally here!

Shoulder
Shoulder
Shoulder

The only thing scrubby about you will only ever be your attitude towards yourself, be proud, dude! I'm ready for more upsets this year. ;D
We shall see!

ColonelColver

You've come a long way, Blackmoon. From all the way back to early DoA5U when we were both fraudulent ranked warriors! It's amazing to see how you've stepped your game up this far. I wish you luck on your future endeavors, and next time we play offline, i'm gonna beat your ass! Seriously, though, props to you, homie.

Fullmetal

You've come a long way, Blackmoon. From all the way back to early DoA5U when we were both fraudulent ranked warriors! It's amazing to see how you've stepped your game up this far. I wish you luck on your future endeavors, and next time we play offline, i'm gonna beat your ass! Seriously, though, props to you, homie.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it!

ZakkuRye

Standard Donor
Very good interview B-MRX!
Glad to see your getting the full recognition world wide now :).
IMO best Lei USA. Keep at it my man. You'll crack though 7th place, stay on the mission.

Peace!

Heikou

Standard Donor
How is the South Carolina scene?

lol. I haven't played offline since NEC, and normally drive up to Charlotte (NC) for casuals anyway.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
This was a wonderful interview! The images near the end with BlackMoon & TeruRock tell the story. Major props to how you did at NEC16! After witnessing TeruRock's & JC Akira's DOA prowess, it makes me long to go to Japan even more to experience their DOA FGC. I predict more shoulders will be delivered in the near future...

That Hitler video cracked me up also LOL.

*inb4petopia makes a dumbass remark about the interviews being show-&-tell.

Fullmetal

This was a wonderful interview! The images near the end with BlackMoon & TeruRock tell the story. Major props to how you did at NEC16! After witnessing TeruRock's & JC Akira's DOA prowess, it makes me long to go to Japan even more to experience their DOA FGC. I predict more shoulders will be delivered in the near future...

That Hitler video cracked me up also LOL.

*inb4petopia makes a dumbass remark about the interviews being show-&-tell.
Thanks man! I'll try better this year! Eh, some people are just harder to please than others I guess. I still belittle myself even though I made such progress in DOA, still an online scrub LMAO

Ichiron47

We've had many encounters online from DOA5U, and even to this day, I still get caught by the parries, and that damn shoulder. lol! It was an honor to meet you in person at Defend The North, and I hope if this year goes my way, we'll see each other again at another tournament, and this time our battles won't be in casuals. :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD