The King Of Fighters XIV Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wow, the character design looks so generic and lifeless and they were so iconic before. Look what they did to Andy Bogard. :/

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i cant tell if im getting used to it or they're getting better, but meh its ok. just put a HUD up to fill those empty stages and it'll be alright i guess

Banana56

The game is looking better compared to the last trailer. Andy looks pretty good too.

Hope more reveals are coming before/during PSE though.

Wow, the character design looks so generic and lifeless and they were so iconic before. Look what they did to Andy Bogard. :/

Ehh his design was not much to brag about back then either though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Updating the graphics (technical aspects) doesn't bring that much, if the art direction is generic, lifeless and without sense for style. That's the real issue here. I heard people complain on the web "Eeew...that looks like a PS2 game!! D:" or "Ugh...those are some really low polygon models! D:" That is completely exaggerated and actually wrong. The character polygon models are indeed quite detailed. More so than Tekken 7 for example, whose character models have very visible polygon edges. The textures are also okay. I've seen PS4 games with much worse. If SNK doesn't change something with the art direction, especially the characters, the game will stay visually bland, even with beautiful polygon models, textures, shaders, lighting, image post processing and all that stuff. The typically choppy 2D animations also don't really fit with the 3D characters and backgrounds. It looks just jarring...the complete look of the game does. :/

Well, at least Kyo has his brunette hair back now! XD

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
lol you should see all the funny stuff I find on Twitter regarding how the game looks.

CUnc3SgW4AA5vH0.jpg

d3v

Updating the graphics (technical aspects) doesn't bring that much, if the art direction is generic, lifeless and without sense for style. That's the real issue here. I heard people complain on the web "Eeew...that looks like a PS2 game!! D:" or "Ugh...those are some really low polygon models! D:" That is completely exaggerated and actually wrong. The character polygon models are indeed quite detailed. More so than Tekken 7 for example, whose character models have very visible polygon edges. The textures are also okay. I've seen PS4 games with much worse. If SNK doesn't change something with the art direction, especially the characters, the game will stay visually bland, even with beautiful polygon models, textures, shaders, lighting, image post processing and all that stuff. The typically choppy 2D animations also don't really fit with the 3D characters and backgrounds. It looks just jarring...the complete look of the game does. :/

Well, at least Kyo has his brunette hair back now! XD
Visually bland, you mean like Shinkiro's old art?
/kappa

BRG Choy

Why can't they just hire Hiroaki as the main chara-designer? Remember that booty?

1679704-kkula_kof2002um.jpg

Why can't they bring it over in high-def 3D? Man, 02UM is still the sexiest looking KOF ever.

Shiranui

The game is getting better trailer after trailer. I love new Andy's design, he looks more ninja, but I don't like his hair and his generic face. He looks like if someone tried to cosplay Andy with an edit character xDD But I'm sure they will improve him in future updates, just like they did with Kyo and Iori.
I can't wait for PSX. My hype boooiiils xDD

About the leak... I don't see this happening. Kim's wife fighting, Alice, Nakoruru + pachinko characters, Angel before Blue Mary or Vanessa or Elisabeth. No Shen, no Duo, no Oswald... I just can't belive this nonsense. To me it looks like a wet dream list from some fan.

Crossing my fingers to see Mai soon. I just hope she gets a more complete moveset and some buffs.

Niitris

I'm not believing that leak either. No way the game will launch with 48 characters. Even with the argument that some of them will come via updates, I just don't see them excluding certain favorites who haven't been in a mainline game in 10 years (Shingo, Oswald, Mary, Rugal/Adel, etc).

Banana56

I'm not believing that leak either. No way the game will launch with 48 characters. Even with the argument that some of them will come via updates, I just don't see them excluding certain favorites who haven't been in a mainline game in 10 years (Shingo, Oswald, Mary, Rugal/Adel, etc).

@2:23

Shiranui

Yeah, that's weird. I don't see those boxes in the trailer, I only see them in this comparison video... Even if those boxes exist it doesn't prove anything and I don't believe the "leak". Maybe I'm wrong, but that suposed roster sounds too crazy for a canonical KOF.

Banana56

It was on the trailer though, it was just to fast to see.

And it clearly shows 48 slots, the leak also has 48 characters (plus bosses) so there is nothing to deny anymore, It's the cast.

Also if the roster for 2002 UM and Maximum Impact 2 happened, this games roster shouldn't be far fetched.

Reactions: d3v

Shiranui

Yes, now i saw it. The boxes are in the first teaser. Well, we will see. If the leak is true then I have to say that I don't like that roster at all. But as long I have Mai, Mature, King and some classic teams like FF guys, it's fine to me.

Argentus

The typically choppy 2D animations also don't really fit with the 3D characters and backgrounds. It looks just jarring...the complete look of the game

That's always been an issue since 2d fighters abandoned actual sprites. Street fighter, mvc3, mk9 and mkx...

Gg did it right by doing their best to still look and feel like 2d sprites, only really having 3d for the sake of costumes and super animations.

Either way I haven't watched the actual vid yet (no WiFi and slow data), has Vice been revealed yet? Or Vanessa?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

Oh man, if they bring Rugal back. Glorious.

Speaking of which, any news on the game regarding it's mechanics?

Banana56

That's always been an issue since 2d fighters abandoned actual sprites. Street fighter, mvc3, mk9 and mkx...

Gg did it right by doing their best to still look and feel like 2d sprites, only really having 3d for the sake of costumes and super animations.

Either way I haven't watched the actual vid yet (no WiFi and slow data), has Vice been revealed yet? Or Vanessa?

Neither have been revealed yet, although Vice is on the leak list.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD