The King Of Fighters XIV Thread

Kodachi

Standard Donor
The game is looking great, hopefully they can really polish up the graphics a bit more by release, 50 characters is a lot so I see why it's taking them some time.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Got some gameplay footage for that ass!

I think what freaked people out (other than the graphics) was that they thought the game was gonna play like Maximum Impact. The 2D gameplay is retained right here.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
*sees Angel*
kreygasm.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
tumblr_nywtv8drd81rn8um6o1_1280.jpg

The characters look so generic, careless and lifeless! D: This is imho unacceptable in a fighter, where it is all about the characters. This looks like some rip off Chinese android phone game.

Banana56

tumblr_nywtv8drd81rn8um6o1_1280.jpg

The characters look so generic, careless and lifeless! D: This is imho unacceptable in a fighter, where it is all about the characters. This looks like some rip off Chinese android phone game.

The game is still in development. The graphics will get better.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Not even an attempt to polish since the last trailer? That budget must be tiny.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The game is still in development. The graphics will get better.

I think I explained it in this thread before. The problem is not that the "graphics" are not good, it is the art direction and character design that is bad. And that is something you unfortunately can not improve later on. You can improve the technical side of the graphics (image quality, aliasing, framerate, resolution, lighting and so on) but not the idea behind everything if there is not much of an idea to begin with. An ugly pig is still an ugly pig if you put a pretty Chanel dress on it. Well, it might look even uglier than before in comparison.

My older post regarding this matter:

Updating the graphics (technical aspects) doesn't bring that much, if the art direction is generic, lifeless and without sense for style. That's the real issue here. I heard people complain on the web "Eeew...that looks like a PS2 game!! D:" or "Ugh...those are some really low polygon models! D:" That is completely exaggerated and actually wrong. The character polygon models are indeed quite detailed. More so than Tekken 7 for example, whose character models have very visible polygon edges. The textures are also okay. I've seen PS4 games with much worse. If SNK doesn't change something with the art direction, especially the characters, the game will stay visually bland, even with beautiful polygon models, textures, shaders, lighting, image post processing and all that stuff. The typically choppy 2D animations also don't really fit with the 3D characters and backgrounds. It looks just jarring...the complete look of the game does. :/

Well, at least Kyo has his brunette hair back now! XD

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Got this from Dream Cancel. Here's what we know about KOF14 so far:

The game:
  1. KOF XIV is a “PS4 console exclusive” set to release sometime in 2016.
  2. KOF XIV is developed in partnership with Sony. As a result, it is getting lots of exposure from Sony including main stage announcements, booth space at PSX. Sony is also hosting the official trailer on their YouTube channel, as well as hyping up the game on their twitter feed.
  3. SNK is also embracing social media. They put a plaque in front of the demo stations to urge fans to tweet about the game using the hashtag #KOFXIV
  4. KOF XIV will begin a new chapter for the KOF saga.
  5. Kyo, Iori, Andy, Leona, Chang, Kula, Billy, King, Ralf, and Angel are confirmed. There will be new characters (unrevealed) as well.
  6. Game modes include online battles and party battles.
  7. Development is 70% complete according to producer Yasuyuki Oda.
  8. There will be more opportunites to try out the demo in Japan in the future.
System mechanics:
  1. Game play is designed to be less combo heavy compared to XIII to accomodate the wide range of players who play online at home.
  2. Ground blow back attacks will cause wall bounce, which you can follow up on.
  3. You can just defend/instant block. Though the specifics of how it works is still being tweaked. One dev had said it gives health back, but the producer said that it’s not really a discernable difference other than blocking (at least in this build). He mentioned it gives more meter and reduces guard bar used, but that’s not really noticeable.
  4. You can cancel a special move into super move, though the canceling window is small. It requires a bit of execution. It also does not cost any additional resource beyond the meter required for the super move.
  5. Drive gauge is gone.
  6. New system includes Max mode, which grants access to EX moves.
  7. Ex moves can only be performed in Max mode.
  8. The lenght of the timer in Max mode changes depending on your character position. Short for the 1st and long for the 3rd character.
  9. Max mode activation freezes the screen, so it’s possible to activate and react to your opponent’s action accordingly.
  10. You can cancel a normal move with Max mode activation and continue the combo from there.
  11. Pressing light punch repeatily will give you a unique auto combo similar to Persona 4 Arena. It will also automatically combo into super if you have meter.
  12. There will be announcements on screen and also from the announcer for counter hits. The damage output from auto combos are lower than regular combos.
  13. Climax supers requre three bars of power gauge to perform.
  14. Normal grabs with HP and HK are different versions, similar to old KOF games.
  15. You gain one bar of super meter when you lose a character.
General gameplay impressions:
  1. Despite the issues with animations and graphics, players who tried the demo seem to have positive impressions and are excited to see the final game. The game also looks a lot better in person than from watching videos.
  2. The game still feels very much like a typical KOF game, except that jumps are a bit more floaty than the past.
  3. Normals feel strong, anti air normals are also strong (unlike in XIII).
  4. Iori’s rekka is a bit slower, but his fireball is very fast. He also gets his dp+k move “311 Shiki” from ’98.
  5. Kyo’s super “182 Shiki” from ’99 makes a return. His far st.lk from past games is also back. Light rekka follows are fully comboable midscreen.
  6. It’s much easier to cross up.
  7. Chang’s ball spin move is much weaker (thank god). It is now slower and he spins it at a downward angle.
  8. Kula’s cr.C is much faster and has better recovery. Kula’s counter shell (qcb+p) does not knock down.
  9. Andy has an air down b move that grounds him faster while going straight down.
Source: http://dreamcancel.com/2015/12/06/everything-we-know-about-kof-xiv-so-far/

Banana56

I think the art of the game isn't very good either, but tbh with a 50 character roster I can look over it.

Waiting for Alice to be revealed!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

BRG Choy

I disagree with the choppy animation part in that old quote. It actually looks smooth, but unnaturally too smooth. Animations in this game have no weight, it doesn't look like it hurts.

Rubedood

Angel back is a nice surprise. Can't wait to see dat ass in motion

Just give me Vanessa, and it's a confirmed buy

Shiranui

The new gameplay looks promising to me. Combos have been limited by removing Drive bar and drive cancels, and EX moves only can be used in MAX mode now. I find this a good decision since drive cancels and ex moves where cool in XIII but they totally unbalanced the game. I think this way we'll have combos but maybe not that crazy combos of XIII and characters will be more balanced. We'll see. What I really like, despite the graphics are not ideal, is that when you see gameplay videos you have a very familiar feeling that you are infront a KOF. That's very positive, I think. About characters, well, I couldn't care less about Angel and Kula. But I really got hype seeing King in the trailer, Ralf looking really cool with his new design and Billy who has one of his best encarnations ever, in my opinion.
I'm happy because I liked what I have seen and I can't wait to see more and to see Mai.

Btw, the official page was updated with some info and images.
http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/specialinfo.html

d3v

From what I'm hearing, in the current build, Just Defends work more like Guilty Gear Instant Blocks than MOTW Just Defends.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD