The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Omegan Eckhart

But not against characters with a 17 frame 2P that gives -5 on hit... on top of a 13 frame high and a 14 frame mid....
But as a grappler you do have a low OH that will eliminate her BKO duck and any attack she does from BKO. The only thing she can do to avoid a low OH is to cancel out of BKO to avoid the grab. You have a tool that eliminates every one of her options except one when blocking her 3in1's. Make sure she knows that there is only one way out when you block her 3in1's and screw her over for it.

Low OH > 2P when dealing with Helena's 3in1's in my opinion.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That statement means nothing to me, can you elaborate? I probably missed a post somewhere...

Sorry, I mentioned it in the Bass forum. Basically 1H is instant, lasts 30 frames (35 in stun) and does 54 - 81 damage depending on the hi-counter with chance of wall damage. 3H+P is 7 startup frames, lasts 40 frames, can only be done out of stun, and would grant 72 damage on hi-counter (beating an attack). Each are easily punishable with a hi-counter low throw even during the recovery of the low offensive hold itself. Oh, and 3H+P doesn't give chance of wall slam.

So in all points, 1H is better than 3H+P in all situations.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah, low OH is severely punishable and low hold has a better recovery. Both options are risky though, so the safest option is to stagger escape, if possible.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, low OH is severely punishable and low hold has a better recovery. Both options are risky though, so the safest option is to stagger escape, if possible.

But many of her options stun on NH, including the low kick going into Bokuho from the knee, or the trip stun. something that's made a bit difficult to SE is a low due to the 5 frame crouch speed.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I agree with what you're saying. Personally, I don't have enough experience against this character to know about all her nasty tools except the force techs.

extravagant

Is Ayane like, stupid easy to play? I was playing on PSN and accidentally picked her due to the select screen timer while I was typing a message to a person, and my opponent was an A ranker online.

I normally use Kasumi, so I decided to kind of button mash while winging it. As a result, maybe it was beginner's luck with Ayane, and it just so happened that the victor was me.

I will begin to ask, is Ayane a really easy and strong character to use, or did I just get lucky against that A rank Tina?

Omegan Eckhart

Is Ayane like, stupid easy to play? I was playing on PSN and accidentally picked her due to the select screen timer while I was typing a message to a person, and my opponent was an A ranker online.

I normally use Kasumi, so I decided to kind of button mash while winging it. As a result, maybe it was beginner's luck with Ayane, and it just so happened that the victor was me.

I will begin to ask, is Ayane a really easy and strong character to use, or did I just get lucky against that A rank Tina?
What Mr. Wah said is correct, in my experience A grade players are far worse in this game than they were in DOA4. I'm not sure why. The only thing about Ayane that is tough>er to use than other characters is her spins. Other than that her pokes are really fast and easy to throw out, her 4P is fast and beats out most things and her none of her combo's are hard to pull off.

I never managed to figure out where the idea that Ayane was hard to play came from...

HiguraShiki

What Mr. Wah said is correct, in my experience A grade players are far worse in this game than they were in DOA4. I'm not sure why. The only thing about Ayane that is tough>er to use than other characters is her spins. Other than that her pokes are really fast and easy to throw out, her 4P is fast and beats out most things and her none of her combo's are hard to pull off.

I never managed to figure out where the idea that Ayane was hard to play came from...
The reason why Ayane is hard to play is because almost everything she does leads to specific combo's which does take some time to learn, you need to have knowledge of her options from BT, and you have to rely on defensive play rather than offense.
I would say she has the most mixup possibilities in the game. Have seen few people play her well for some odd reason.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
-LMFAO. Did I not say from the very beginning, that I knew for a fact that tiers(character placement) was going to change from some player's initial belief! I just knew it. This is just the beginning, tiers are going to change several more times before it's finalized.

HiguraShiki

-LMFAO. Did I not say from the very beginning, that I knew for a fact that tiers(character placement) was going to change from some player's initial belief! I just knew it. This is just the beginning, tiers are going to change several more times before it's finalized.
In b4 Pai becomes SS tier after players find she has a force tech vortex.

extravagant

I think the better question would be, does rank really determine a player's skill?

The answer to your question is maybe. Not all A rank players suck, yet not all of them are good as well. It is a number's game.

.... so I guess you could say I answered my own question.

Zeo

One thing I don't think will ever change though is Jann Lee and Gen Fu. Unless patched, they will probably be top tier from the beginning of this game's life to it's end.

HiguraShiki

One thing I don't think will ever change though is Jann Lee and Gen Fu. Unless patched, they will probably be top tier from the beginning of this game's life to it's end.
Because Jann Lee and Gen Fu are both the Messiah.

XDest

No character in DOA is particularly hard to play at all. Ayane works on (and benefits from) footsies a bit more than most characters, and has a few more movement options. Other than that, she's pretty much like any other character. She got a buff to safety with 3F+K, 66KK4, BT PP6KK4, BT PPPP, etc... but otherwise she's about the same as DOA4. No harder or easier, she should play about the same.

If you were mashing, chances are you were being really unsafe yet the opponent wasn't doing anything about it. Therefore, they probably didn't know how to play the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD