The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Murakame

What is it that makes people say Gen Fu is top tier? Have there been videos of some exceptional play? I rarely ever see the old man.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So who would have the advantage of Gen Fu and Jann Lee?

I'd think Gen Fu's numerous sit-down stuns and fast poke attacks along with his parries will give him a nice fight against Jann Lee's quick pokes and mid/high mix-ups.

Murakame

So who would have the advantage of Gen Fu and Jann Lee?

I'd think Gen Fu's numerous sit-down stuns and fast poke attacks along with his parries will give him a nice fight against Jann Lee's quick pokes and mid/high mix-ups.

This sounds like Gen Fu has the advantage at close range because he can shut down Jann Lee's offense with parries while maintaining offensive pressure whereas Jann Lee really only has throws as an alternative to strikes in any attempt to open Gen Fu up IMO.

Lobo

I'd say its dead even. Gen Fu beats Jann up close (he beats everyone really, except for maybe Leifang). His mids are a tad faster, and he has really good crushes that can stop Jann's pokes. He can also parry at disadvantage, to put the pressure back on. And we all know that all Gen needs is one hit to set up his sit-down stun nonsense.

However, I think Jann is one of the few chars that can slow down Gen's up-close game. Jann's mid-punch hold is Gen Fu's worst nightmare, as it completely changes the advantage to Jann's favor.

Jann also has better spacing, so a good Jann can just turtle outside of Gen Fu's optimal range, bait an unsafe move or whiff, and punish with a dragon gunner.

So I can't see it being but a 5-5 matchup (maybe 5.1-4.9 in Gen's favor)

Jefffcore

I'd say its dead even. Gen Fu beats Jann up close (he beats everyone really, except for maybe Leifang). His mids are a tad faster, and he has really good crushes that can stop Jann's pokes. He can also parry at disadvantage, to put the pressure back on. And we all know that all Gen needs is one hit to set up his sit-down stun nonsense.

However, I think Jann is one of the few chars that can slow down Gen's up-close game. Jann's mid-punch hold is Gen Fu's worst nightmare, as it completely changes the advantage to Jann's favor.

Jann also has better spacing, so a good Jann can just turtle outside of Gen Fu's optimal range, bait an unsafe move or whiff, and punish with a dragon gunner.

So I can't see it being but a 5-5 matchup (maybe 5.1-4.9 in Gen's favor)
Actually Jann's mids are faster; only thing Gen Fu has on Jann is his 11i high kick.

I went through his move list to see if I was missing something and the only sit down I found was 3pp. It doesn't give him a guaranteed CB, and it ends a string that's insanely easy to see. Gen Fu's also got a feint stun and a Limbo, same as Jann. Jann definitely plays the stun game better.

Jann has an offensive hold, better spacing, and more damage on Gen, where Gen Fu can crush and parry.

Gen Fu doesn't have any mix up's in his strings and they're stupid easy to stop. Just sayin'.

I'd give it to Jann. Not by a huge margin, but Jann doesn't have to guess as much.

Omegan Eckhart

Thinking of Gen Fu seeing as he has a grab that launches couldn't he set up pseudo force tech set ups similar to Helena? I can't imagine it would be as effective but would it be possible?

P1naatt1ke1tt0

Actually Jann's mids are faster; only thing Gen Fu has on Jann is his 11i high kick.

I went through his move list to see if I was missing something and the only sit down I found was 3pp. It doesn't give him a guaranteed CB, and it ends a string that's insanely easy to see. Gen Fu's also got a feint stun and a Limbo, same as Jann. Jann definitely plays the stun game better.

Jann has an offensive hold, better spacing, and more damage on Gen, where Gen Fu can crush and parry.

Gen Fu doesn't have any mix up's in his strings and they're stupid easy to stop. Just sayin'.

I'd give it to Jann. Not by a huge margin, but Jann doesn't have to guess as much.

How do you escape counter hit 3pp 33p 3p+k? The CB is pretty much guaranteed after second p of 3pp connects. And 3pp ducks highs as well.

Lobo

Assuming you let 3pp hit you (It's the easiest thing to react to ever), the CB isn't guaranteed.
Not necessarily. If the first punch 3PP hits on CH (which it does most of the time because it crushes highs), then you have just one shot to hold the second P (again somewhat hard to do if you were pressing something to get CH in the first place).

Once that second P hits, the CB is all but guaranteed. Ransuu showed me that it is possible to slow escape, but its insanely hard, and the CPU cant even do it with stagger set to fastest. I have yet to have a single person escape the CB after CH 3PP.

If they get wise and start holding the second P, then you can just delay the second P since most of Gen's strings can be delayed forever. Or, you can go straight for launch with 8P or H+K or a hi-counter 236T. Or, if you're in open stance, do 9K and now you have another guaranteed CB.

Gen has just as many options for his stun game. The fact that most people think he's all mid punches just helps him get away with more BS like his open stance 9K.

Jefffcore

You're right, Raansu must not have input it fast enough when he recorded. 3pp is the easiest thing to hold on reaction though. It shouldn't matter if you delay it for 2 reasons: first, he only has 1 follow up after it ;second, he gives you ample time to see and react to it. He move his arm back more when you input the second punch, it's kinada slow.

I couldn't get anything from 9K

Lobo

If you hit 9K in open stance, then you're opponent is left BT close enough for 6P+K to hit. When 6P+K hits a BT opponent, it causes a limbo stun.

Try this combo, and you'll see how good 9K is.
(open stance) 9K, 6P+K, 236P, 33P, 3P+K (CB) All of that, including the CB, is guaranteed if 9K hits open.

HiguraShiki

You're right, Raansu must not have input it fast enough when he recorded. 3pp is the easiest thing to hold on reaction though. It shouldn't matter if you delay it for 2 reasons: first, he only has 1 follow up after it ;second, he gives you ample time to see and react to it. He move his arm back more when you input the second punch, it's kinada slow.

It isn't too easy. Plus most Gen Fu players tend to just throw 3P then grab loop you if you try holding the 2nd P.

Jefffcore

If you hit 9K in open stance, then you're opponent is left BT close enough for 6P+K to hit. When 6P+K hits a BT opponent, it causes a limbo stun.

(open stance) 9K, 6P+K, 236P, 33P, 3P+K (CB) All of that, including the CB, is guaranteed if 9K hits open.
Ohhhh ok

It isn't too easy. Plus most Gen Fu players tend to just throw 3P then grab loop you if you try holding the 2nd P.
That's because you're guessing, you're not waiting till you see it. It is easy.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

Open stance 9K - 6P+K - 236P - 33P - hold 3P launch is the guaranteed setup. But maybe we should end this offtopic discussion before Mr. Wah deletes the thread again.

Jefffcore

It's not technically off topic.

9K - 6P+K isn't guaranteed though; you can struggle then turn around and block or hold. It's a crazy set up if you do get it, but if you don't you're unsafe.

In comparison, Jann can guarantee 105 damage on CH/closed stance with his limbo. As far as I know.

Jann can do 154/155 (depends how long you charge 33p) with H+K, 6K, H+K, CB. If you hold he has the 50/50 with the DG that puts you back in critical. DG with 2 more guesses will get him 154/155 again or with 1 more guess 105(?) . With Gen Fu's set up he's also guessing twice (if the other player doesn't react to the 3pp) and taking 147(?) on CH. He has 236T or 214T (I couldn't get any more than 90 on HCT with 236T).

Both are difficult to get though. Gen Fu is easy to hold, and Jann has to be right up close with H+K (which is tricky against Gen)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Or merge the discussion into a character matchup discussion. Doesn't really matter which character as the board is practically empty.

RoboJoe

The 6p+k and the 3p+k are not guaranteed, if you hit 33p go for a launch right away, forget about cb.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD