The Official SoCal DOA Thread

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
(My apologies in advance, not trying to double post here)

If there are folks out here that are at least serious about local play, I think now would be the best opportunity for everyone to communicate. So that we can start planning together for meetups, carpools, etc. If people know about any venues we can all go to (or if people are willing to host at their place), we should start sharing information. I can always bring a set up.

I would love to get with the local scene in DOA again, and KOF XIV.

Jared

I know that if we get decent consistent number that we can have a spot at WNF in Santa Ana. We could also do Super Arcade in Azusa as well and maybe piggy back off of their Tekken and/or Soul Calibur events. Watson, who owns super, is a good guy and is always willing to host communities and give them a chance as long as the numbers are there.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
If people are willing to commit to that, then it'll be pretty sweet. Super Arcade is where I believe some KOF players are going to gather too pretty soon so that's two birds with one stone.

b-bombs

Standard Donor
Happy to see some energy returning to the SoCal scene with the rise of DOA6. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do as much organizing this time around. My work is taking up way too much of my time and focus. I’m very happy to support anyone else that organizes and of course back up all my awesome SoCal DOA friends wherever I can. Don’t forget, Alex does want representation for DOA6 at Wednesday Night Fights. It’s a great established place to get some growth. Last time I went to Super Arcade they looked like that had some space for casuals. Wishing everyone the best! I’ll get in wherever I fit in.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I think the first thing (and #1 thing) that needs to be done is seeing what the player interest is like. WNF will be nice 'n all, but we will really need to get players together locally as much as possible as well. Being able to go somewhere that's mostly in the middle for people would really help. And we have to keep players interested.

Jared

I'll be looking to go to WNF every week if that's what we can all attend. I think that would be the highest profile and most consistent venue we can ask for, and as long as numbers are decent we can keep coming back. How many people do we have? Also if we have any new players I'd be happy to help how I can.

Dr PaC

We can probably get it there the first week and go from there. If we can get a decent number of commits I can contact Alex Valle about it and see what we can do. WNF is a much different thing than it was during the DOA5 launch.
That sounds good

Jared

So how many of us can make it to Wednesday Night Fights on the week of release? The first WNF would be March 6th. For those that are unaware, WNF is held at the Esports Arena in Santa Ana. It's a really cool venue, and they even have a bar if you want to grab a beer after (or before, whatever) the tournament.

Even if you don't feel too competitive, or are nervous about competing, I'd suggest coming and checking it out. Usually people are very friendly and willing to help, and meeting up with people who share interests could be a really good time. Also, if you know people who want to come but don't come to FSD, either link them or let us know they want to come. Given DOA's past, I'd rather have numbers to bring to Valle before I ask for space. Also we could probably also get some space if we bring a set up if our numbers aren't enticing enough for Valle. He really wants to grow the FGC (and in turn his business) any way he can so I can see him open to hosting us. He's already posted on Twitter/FB about it.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Well, I just got a job interview this coming Monday. So I'm not exactly sure how my schedule is going to look in regards to tournament travel. It's not my biggest priority right now. But will fit it in once I have some things figured out.

Jared

You gotta do what you gotta do. This is a hobby after all and not a priority. Good luck on the job interview. I hope you're able to make it out.

Can we get a list of what cities we all live in? Right now I'm in the High Desert so I'm about 1 1/2 hours from WNF.

Even if it isn't WNF we can probably run our own thing whenever we can. So Cal has always been a sparsely populated area in terms of DOA, but hopefully we can turn it around. DOA6 looks like a better game than its last two predecessors, so I can see more people wanting to compete. I know we can be a strong region if we want to.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Appreciate it man.

Also, running locals is what some of us mostly talked about. I would really like to get SoCal active in DOA again.

@Jared Do you have discord? I made a server for west coast and adding people so we can all communicate about gatherings.

Nickysan

Hey everyone! New to the forums. I’ve been looking to get into DoA for a while and figured now would be as good a time as ever. Is discord the best place to keep up on where gatherings are happening?

If you are all looking for a place to play then I would really suggest going to Don’s Arcade. It’s a venue hosted out of a garage with a bunch of candy cabs. There are also two HD cabs with a PS4 for new stuff. It’s a pretty sick set up. I go fairly regularly. People mostly play old capcom stuff there, but occasionally people will come and play newer games. I spoke to him and he said he would be more than happy to have you all come. The game is preordered and will be there on Friday. I hope some of you can make it.

Here is Don’s official post from SRK with his contact info:
https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/dons-arcade-aka-astro-city-torrance-carson-fridays-8pm-3am/114145

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD