DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Grimace

Is there an updated teir list with the results from TFC or anything like that? I always like looking over the spreads :)

UprisingJC

@866AiN999 @UprisingJC any opinions? No makes or numbers. Just who's decent/good/great?

The following list is just my own opinion.

Top: Ayane, Christie, Hayate,
High: Kasumi, Genfu, Helena, Rig, Leifang, Zack
Mid-high: Hayabusa, Hitomi, Akira, Mila
Mid: Leon, Kokoro, Bass, Bayman, Lisa, Tina, Sarah, Momiji, Marie
Mid-low: Nyotengu,
Low: Jacky

I have no opinion about those not listed above .

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor

Mid-high: Hayabusa, Hitomi, Akira, Marie, Mila
Mid: Leon, Kokoro, Bass, Bayman, Lisa, Tina, Sarah, Momiji

I appreciate it for sharing and thanks for not including characters you're unfamiliar with.

Can this list be used to represent Taiwan or is it purely personal?

What is the general opinion of the cast over there?

KING JAIMY

Mid-high: Hayabusa, Hitomi, Akira, Marie, Mila
Mid: Leon, Kokoro, Bass, Bayman, Lisa, Tina, Sarah, Momiji

Please enlighten me why you think Jacky is among the worst characters in the game while Marie is mid-high tier. Makes no sense to me. :/

Also, Hayate as a top tier seems like a consensus in Asia. Why is that, actually?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Anyone @UprisingJC uses is top tier, and he's a scrub who just knows how to use broken characters. :p

Looool okay, I've seen him play DOA for years. 2U and 2O looked fun when the Taiwanese players got their hands on it.

Doa3 was a different game in Taiwan. I remember Taiwanese players having a different plays style compared to everyone else.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Looool okay, I've seen him play DOA for years. 2U and 2O looked fun when the Taiwanese players got their hands on it.

Doa3 was a different game in Taiwan. I remember Taiwanese players having a different plays style compared to everyone else.

Ah those 3.1 vids were from the Taiwan cup right?

UprisingJC

Please enlighten me why you think Jacky is among the worst characters in the game while Marie is mid-high tier. Makes no sense to me. :/

Also, Hayate as a top tier seems like a consensus in Asia. Why is that, actually?

Jacky:
1. Lacks range.
2. Often starts his offense with 6PP(PP6PP), which hits high and thus can sometimes be countered or just crushed, unlike Kokoro who has one more follow-up 6P6P that hits mid so her opponent has to take the risk of being hit by it if he decides to go for high crush moves.
3. The high P parry is just a joke.
4. No reliable get-in tools

One thing to mention: it's not just me but some other players in Taiwan also think Jacky is not that great although I said that the list I showed above was just my own opinion.

Marie: I mis-listed her. She should be in mid-tier.
1. Actually her SS P is decent, but most people only use her 2P+K.
2. Characters lacking tracking tools may have a hard time dealing with her.
3. Her 4K is a strong move.

Hayate:
1. 4P crushes highs, tracks, causes a deep stun on NH and has follow-ups. Besides, some mids can't even hit him due to the stance.
2. 8P+KP, a move that people are aware of and is often abused as well. Some tracking moves can't even get him.
3. In terms of being a striker, his damage output from throws is high.
4. Decent tools for whiff punishment and get-in purposes

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@UprisingJC Why do you think Ayane is #1 on your list?

I have her bouncing between 2nd and 3rd, but am curious about your opinion.

I'd also like to ask why do you think Leifang isn't in front of Ayane?

Hayate is most certainly believable as very strong the more dedicate time to him. Starting to reconsider him being better than Momiji in some ways.

UprisingJC

@UprisingJC Why do you think Ayane is #1 on your list?

I have her bouncing between 2nd and 3rd, but am curious about your opinion.

I'd also like to ask why do you think Leifang isn't in front of Ayane?

Hayate is most certainly believable as very strong the more dedicate time to him. Starting to reconsider him being better than Momiji in some ways.

1. The order of the characters in the tier doesn't mean anything.
I put the 3 chars in the top tier but it doesn't mean I think Ayane > Christie > Hayate.

2. Leifang lacks range. I don't really know what she can do once she's spaced out by Ayane.

3. Momiji excels at mid/long combats, but Hayate also can do this if he wants. Overall, I still think Hayate > Momiji.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
1. I see, makes sense.

2. Leifang's range is actually good once it's figured out, and that's not by many players. She's one that can string herself across the screen reliably with 7P. It works since 7P can go into any of her jab or PP strings. Not knowing what button stops this sort of approach rewards her well. I believe Requiem is the only Leifang I've fought that has that figured out. Other than this, 2H+K and 66P are a mid/low mix up on approach. Limited, but all effective.

3. Momiji is pretty good in CQC, she has what's necessarily to fight, defend and open you up there. When the fight turns into a range one, she is definitely more effective, everyone knows this.

But what I meant was that I am starting to think Hayate is simply better because once he hits you, his damage output is better overall.

KING JAIMY

Jacky:
1. Lacks range.
2. Often starts his offense with 6PP(PP6PP), which hits high and thus can sometimes be countered or just crushed, unlike Kokoro who has one more follow-up 6P6P that hits mid so her opponent has to take the risk of being hit by it if he decides to go for high crush moves.
3. The high P parry is just a joke.
4. No reliable get-in tools
1. This applies more to Marie Rose than Jacky, actually. Jacky has good range. Prime examples would be 6PK, 3K, 66K, 4H+K, 6H+K, 66H+K, 6P+K, 8PP, 1P+K string and 4P. There's probably a few more but all in all I would say Jacky has good range.

2. This is NOT a weakness of Jacky but a weakness of the player. Starting offense with 6PP is the stupidest thing you could ever do with Jacky, since it can either be crushed or held, like you said. This is the #1 thing a Jacky player should never do and it honestly makes him look bad. Rather, start your offense with 6P, 6P+K, 4K, 2H+KK, 3PP and 4P, 1P+K string, 6H+K and 3K at longer ranges.

3. Agreed, but why would you just stand there and do nothing? The high punch parry almost never comes into play since you're almost always fighting or on the move.

4. 6P, 1P+KP, 3P(P), 6P+K, 4K, 2H+KK, 4H+K, 6H+K, jab string, 44P, BT 2P, BT P, BT P+K. Experiment with these and you'll see Jacky is not a bad character.
One thing to mention: it's not just me but some other players in Taiwan also think Jacky is not that great although I said that the list I showed above was just my own opinion.
That's okay, and I respect your opinion. I was just wondering why you put Jacky so low and Marie Rose so high. Tier lists are based on opinion for the most part anyway.
Marie: I mis-listed her. She should be in mid-tier.
1. Actually her SS P is decent, but most people only use her 2P+K.
2. Characters lacking tracking tools may have a hard time dealing with her.
3. Her 4K is a strong move.
1. SS P is unsafe (-8) and doesn't get around certain things Minuet does. The stun, however, is good.

2. True but they can keep that in mind and use throws instead since the general property of a throw is that it tracks.

3. Also true, 4K is very good (safe, good range, deep stun, etc.)

The main tendency I notice from your reasoning is that you list valid points, but those points are really specific (e.g. ''Her 4K is a strong move''). While this also plays a role, the general strengths of a character are what make the character. I could also say: ''Jacky's 1P+KP is good, Jacky's 4K is good, Jacky's 2P+K is good, ...'' but that wouldn't capture the actual strengths of the character.
Hayate:
1. 4P crushes highs, tracks, causes a deep stun on NH and has follow-ups. Besides, some mids can't even hit him due to the stance.
2. 8P+KP, a move that people are aware of and is often abused as well. Some tracking moves can't even get him.
3. In terms of being a striker, his damage output from throws is high.
4. Decent tools for whiff punishment and get-in purposes
I have nothing to comment on Hayate since I do not play him at a high level, but I know for a fact that he is a really good character. Personally I wouldn't place him top tier, but he is certainly not bad.

UprisingJC

I appreciate it for sharing and thanks for not including characters you're unfamiliar with.

Can this list be used to represent Taiwan or is it purely personal?

What is the general opinion of the cast over there?

1.Personal.

2.Top 5:
3. Also true, 4K is very good (safe, good range, deep stun, etc.)

The main tendency I notice from your reasoning is that you list valid points, but those points are really specific (e.g. ''Her 4K is a strong move''). While this also plays a role, the general strengths of a character are what make the character. I could also say: ''Jacky's 1P+KP is good, Jacky's 4K is good, Jacky's 2P+K is good, ...'' but that wouldn't capture the actual strengths of the character.

Sorry about that. I was working and I had to finish this asap in order to join an upcoming meeting so I didn't elaborate.

The reasons that I mentioned Maries' 4k to be good are:
1.Stuns on NH and the duration is long(+20~+28), although not long enough to make sure that SE doesn't work on fastest CB if Marie intends to do so.
2.Safe on block(-5).
3.Covers a decent range.

KING JAIMY

The reasons that I mentioned Maries' 4k to be good are:
1.Stuns on NH and the duration is long(+20~+28), although not long enough to make sure that SE doesn't work on fastest CB if Marie intends to do so.
2.Safe on block(-5).
3.Covers a decent range.
Yeah I already said I agree with that. 4K is one of Marie's best moves and so is the equivalent 4PK.

Lulu

What's the consensus on Honoka these days? Anything scary discovered yet?

Ah yes... good ol' "T-Rex" :honoka:.

Well they did increase the range on some of her moves so who knows..... I'm sure something will turn up.

If this keeps up then we might not be able to call her "T-Rex" anymore. :(

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD