DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Heikou

Standard Donor
What makes Alpha-152 so bad? Friend says she's placed too high in too many tournaments to be considered one of the worst characters.
She's the lightest character in the game, leaving her open to the most damaging juggles, and she doesn't have wake-up kicks. Her only wakeup option besides teching is a special wakeup kick that is extremely punishable.

She's been nerfed heavily since vanilla, and in this game, it's not uncommon for characters with indisputably weaker tools than other characters to place well in tournament since it's more about the player than the character (moreso than any other game I can think of).

Lulu

What makes Alpha-152 so bad? Friend says she's placed too high in too many tournaments to be considered one of the worst characters.

A similar Argument can be made for Phase and Eliot. Generallt whenever these characters place well its usually a testament of the Skill of the players who wield them.

In any case the Tier list is tightly compressed.... despite having so many characters the difference between the best character and the worst character is like the Difference between Blue and Indigo. Characters have advantages over one another but its never a landside in any matchup......

Heikou

Standard Donor
In any case the Tier list is tightly compressed.... despite having so many characters the difference between the best character and the worst character is like the Difference between Blue and Indigo. Characters have advantages over one another but its never a landside in any matchup......
To be honest, I would say that there are some pretty horrible matchups; however, no matter how awful the matchup is, the triangle system never allows it to be unwinnable. For example, if Nyotengu is being pressured by Pai, she has no way out apart from risking a rather slow crush, or holding, both of which are quite risky.

So it's not like there aren't bad matchups, it's just that there's never a matchup that can't be won off of reads.

Lulu

LoL... I think thats what said.... but if there was any confusion I'm glad you cleared it up. ;)

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
He's got all the tools he needs they just need to stop normalising him, he's fine the way he is.

The VF characters are all better than average leaning towards pretty much perfect overall. Akira is the one leaning more towards being the better of the four with Jacky and Pai being slightly lower than him in terms of being average. All four have fantastic neutral and stun games.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Nothing on Naotora?
Yes, I am curious to see her tier standing too, at least on the Japanese side. I already know a lot of people will say she's bottom tier because she's easy to hold, but I feel differently on the subject, or maybe it's because I play her differently. But yeah, how is she on the tier spectrum?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Eventhubs say she's low mid so take that as you wish...
EventHubs? More like EventScrubs as most of the people here on FSD would say XD. Their DOA tier list is completely jacked up, I honestly would not trust them with my life.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
She doesn't suffer against Hayabusa. Don't have anything to say for other MUs.
From what I can say from match ups I've had, she does well against Alpha. Kasumi is a hard counter for her, but she can even out the odds if she spaces her properly and prevents her from moving in. Nyotengu is imo an even MU, Naotora bodies her at close range, but the fact that Nyo can handle being at a distance too AND those OHs of her definitely will shut Nao down....but if she tries to fly towards her or do that "wind" attack, Naotora has tools to halt all that...it's definitely a balancing act for that particular MU. XD

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Eventhubs say she's low mid so take that as you wish...
That list isn't correct at all. It's a bunch of people editing that list. From bad to good players. You're not going to find a good representation of a list there. Not even in other games. Stick to the community sites of the FGC. EventHubs are relatively good for tournament dates, character strategies (depending on the editor), & player profiles of certain games.

The Japanese players have her listed at A+ Tier. Pretty much right around the same as our list, maybe higher. Go & look at the front of the Official Tier List thread. She's a solid character because of her mixup options to accommodate her speed & how she controls neutral in most matches.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
That list isn't correct at all. It's a bunch of people editing that list. From bad to good players. You're not going to find a good representation of a list there. Not even in other games. Stick to the community sites of the FGC. EventHubs are relatively good for tournament dates, character strategies (depending on the editor), & player profiles of certain games.

The Japanese players have her listed at A Tier. Pretty much right around the same as our list, maybe higher. Go & look at the Official Tier List thread. She's a solid character because of her mixup options to accommodate her speed & how she controls neutral in most matches.
....She's A tier?! I knew it! She does have potential after all. :-D I say this because a lot of players who used her say she's not that great because of linearity, but you're not exactly supposed to just rushdown with her or just mindlessly use the K and 6K kick strings.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
....She's A tier?! I knew it! She does have potential after all. :-D I say this because a lot of players who used her say she's not that great because of linearity, but you're not exactly supposed to just rushdown with her or just mindlessly use the K and 6K kick strings.
She never was a bad character to begin with. Always have been like a Top 15 or right outside of it. She has everything that she needs in the game. Just that she's also the most studied character in the game because she's one of the most popular. She gets predictable when you're not fully utilizing her strings & pressure options. One thing you have to understand with her no matter playing offensively or defensively is you can't get caught standing still with her. And you have to be willing to take some risks. There is a such thing as taking a good risk: Like 66K-K but getting held for being safe at -3. The hold doesn't do a lot of damage for the defender so that's what she wants if they react to it rather than block for safety.

She's a character that puts more emphasis on offensive matters, but also has good defensive options being able to counter strike, poke, with parries & an expert holds. One of the best wall games in the game, one of the best ceiling games in the game; people knock her & others out who can utilize the ceiling because they all do a shit ton of damage.

Her being unsafe stops her from going any higher & others have better range options (though she has her mobility to move around).

EDIT: Yeah mindlessly mashing strings is one way to die. In order to play Kasumi, you need to be good at string delaying & free canceling while understanding her longest reaching tool (66K).

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh....well, that let down my hope for Naotora a little. At least I know Kasumi is still solid, maybe we'll get more tier insight on her in time, I still believe in her. :-D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD