The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Yeah, I was gonna bring that up.

This was a day after The Game Awards since VF was brought up. The challenge about making a new VF is that they want to make sure to keep the core elements of VF, but at the same time they want to draw in new players by creating a "dramatic" effect with their gameplay. I know Seiji Aoki mentioned that Rollback Netcode will be the standard going forward for future VF games, but also: I believe SEGA of Japan is also discussing with the JeSU-licensed VF players (as well as some of the OGs like Fuudo for example) on feedback, but you know... NDAs and all.

Kinda wish they talk to us Western VF players because we do exist.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Since VF5 is ending on a cliffhanger storyline-wise because Lau has an incurable disease that might cause him death, it's unclear if he'll live or not. Rebooting the storyline with a brand new story might be the way to go IMO.

As for gameplay and roster, I hope they retain the entire cast from VF5US and put them in the roster. Taka especially because SEGA now has the technology to support a heavier character. I also hope the retain some of VF5US/VF5FS gameplay such as Wall Splats, Side Blocking, etc.

TheHunterKiller692

Uh... Sega, please do NOT reboot the series!
Reboot or not, it looks like we have a better explanation for why they didn't unveil VF at TGAs. But, go on.

As for gameplay and roster, I hope they retain the entire cast from VF5US and put them in the roster. Taka especially because SEGA now has the technology to support a heavier character. I also hope the retain some of VF5US/VF5FS gameplay such as Wall Splats, Side Blocking, etc.
Same.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
This is a Virtua Fighter title that is developed to be a modern competitor to Street Fighter and Tekken with esports concepts and mechanics that are similar to current Street Fighter and other fighting games. It is a concept that evolved a lot.

Not even a VF reboot can escape from having meter mechanics. :mad:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Modernized Jeffrey just dropped for the new reboot.

1709616553495.png

I have a feeling that Pai will be replacing her dad Lau since Lau was battling with an incurable disease from VF4 to VF5 storywise. So, I wouldn't surprised if she has a few of her dad's moves in the new VF similar to how in the Tekken series both Hwoarang and Xiaoyu replaced Baek and Wang respectively after T6. Other than that, I'm excited to see how this new installment will turn out overall.

Last edited:

Derock

I have a feeling that Pai will be replacing her dad Lau since Lau was battling with an incurable disease from VF4 to VF5 storywise. So, I wouldn't surprised if she has a few of her dad's moves in the new VF similar to how in the Tekken series both Hwoarang and Xiaoyu replaced Baek and Wang respectively after T6. Other than that, I'm excited to see how this new installment will turn out overall.
I'll be okay if they gave her that route, especially after she saved him from Lei-Fei. Her, along with Akira, the Bryant siblings and Kage are the most popular characters of the franchise.

I'll be okay if they gave her that route, especially after she saved him from Lei-Fei. Her, along with Akira, the Bryant siblings and Kage are the most popular characters of the franchise.
Exactly. I wanna see more of her rivalry with Lei-Fei develop as well.

Either way, I hope this reboot goes well against the two big dogs of the fighting game world which are Street Fighter and Tekken right now. Virtua Fighter has been an EVO staple in the past so hopefully it'll reclaim that position when it drops.

Last edited:
I remember that SC5 sold poorly. So, here's to hoping this VF reboot doesn't.
Yeah. That's because the 17 year time skip was completely unnecessary and threw out the majority of the female cast (with only some of the male cast being removed) and replaced most of them with unlikable successors and children counterparts. Also, don't even get me started on its story mode either. -_-

Tekken managed to pull off the time skip extremely well while the Soul series didn't

Also, the poor marketing didn't help either

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I remember that SC5 sold poorly. So, here's to hoping this VF reboot doesn't.
If you watched why SC5 failed on What Happened, you already know that 2012 was a terrible year for video games overall. But again, the AM2 team that worked on VF5FS and VF5US will be working on this. On top of that, Odashima was also credited for VF5US as a planner.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD