The Role Playing Game Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah I thought so, I know it's like marmite on If people like it or not. ( Does everyone have marmite? ) I'm excited a lot for it though.

For March though I have no idea what I will be doing because there's way to many things coming out that I'm forgetting what some of them are! When's dragon quest heroes 2 coming out Kasumi?
Sometime I believe in April, As you've already seen by my previous post about it I loved the first game! Maya, Jessica, and and Luceus were my favorite characters...Psaro was my favorite too but not gameplay wise, he has very bad pressure and gets swatted away in the middle of attacks. The next one I hear is supposed to play like a traditional DQ game where you can journey via the world map(♡.♡) and you have random monster encounters(♡o♡). I have to say I like the protagonists of the sequel a bit better than the original, Luceus was kinda basic design wise imo but the male protagonist of the next game is way more notable, the girl too with her hime cut ponytail!

ShinobiGuy

@Tyaren Horizon is one of my most anticipated games for this year. I'm super hyped for it.
Haven't preordered it yet, but will pretty soon.

Edit: I actually had pre ordered it :) just forgot about it....

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Nice overview and what to expect of Horizon Zero Dawn:

The landscape variety in this game. =Q= Snow covered mountains, autumnal valleys, sandy desert, lush jungle and human civilization ruins. All there... I'm really looking forward to this after the pretty samey and limited FFXV world.
@Chapstick

Here also again the E3 gameplay demo for everyone who missed it:

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

So, I wanted to wait for the full game but I actually went back into the Tales of Berseria demo (I had already played the JP one) and here's my thoughts on the combat :
Every Tales games is a bit mashy, and Berseria is not an exception as it felt super mashy at first, especially when playing characters with melee attacks only (Velvet and Rokurou) but once I actually bothered to look up at every attack animation/property and set my artee trees I didn't feel it anymore (though you have to remember what you did set xD).

So far, what I absolutely don't like about the combat is the weakness system and the crappy healing spells, and the more you increase the difffculty, the crappier they become. I swear I saw Healing Circle healing a total of 30 hp once, what?!?!? Not to mention their very long casting time... And here I thought the Zestiria healing spells were already bad... they're super good in comparison. I prefer when there is a main healer like Elize in Xillia though xD
Of course there are other way to heal, but healing spells are completely useless like this.
I like the Soul + Break Soul system, though I didn't quite understand yet how you can obtain more of them, it seems it's totally random (like stunning the enemy etc...).
Also, I had read (on different forums) that this game plays like Zestiria and I have to disagree. Whereas it looks like Zestiria (and I played the hell out of it), it plays almost nothing like it (to some degree) and the past games since there are no directional-input attacks, it's simpler and new. The only Zestiria things in this combat are some spells and the BG system, which here is used only to change characters in battle (which is good) and perform mystic artes, in Zesty it had other uses. The arte-tree mechanic was in other games as well as far as I know.

The skills system is FFIX-like, which I liked, so that's a plus.
Overall I like it and I'm definitely looking forward to play more of it. First time I like to play as almost every character, my favorite ones are Eleanor and Eizen, though I switch to Magilou as soon as I see an enemy casting a spell since her Break Soul seems OP. Velvet and Rokurou are fun too, didn't even bother to play the little kid.

On another note, the english VO is fine, though I'm going with the JP one for my first playthrough.
The battle theme is awesome.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
News and previews of Ninokuni 2! :)

Preview video by Polygon:

Longer and more in depth peview video (unfortunately in German):

Interesting news from this video:
- Interestingly Studi Ghibli is not working on this game anymore but largely the same team is involved.
- No familiars this time but Pikmin style and soot balls (Spirited Away) inpired support of elemental fairies.
- Premise is very familiar to FFXV. Main character is a prince, his family dies, kingdom is stolen from him and he has to reclaim his throne.
- Overworld is different from part one because of a kingdom creation feature which wasn't further specified yet.
- Game will be 60fps on PS4
- Game will also release on PC
- Game will release this year.

German Interview with director Akihiro Nino (with English subtitles):

Also, some new screens:

Ni-no-Kuni-II-Revenant-Kingdom_2017_01-26-17_004.jpg

Ni-no-Kuni-II-Revenant-Kingdom_2017_01-26-17_003.jpg

Ni-no-Kuni-II-Revenant-Kingdom_2017_01-26-17_005.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Since no one is replying I have to shamelessly double post, I guess.

New Mass Effect: Andromeda cinematic trailer was released:

c3HC0B6.gif

Sexy time...:3

If ME:A was as open as Xenoblade Chronicles X I'd immediately buy it. This games begs to have a large open world or worlds to explore. But so far I'm not really impressed...

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So, I wanted to wait for the full game but I actually went back into the Tales of Berseria demo (I had already played the JP one) and here's my thoughts on the combat :
Every Tales games is a bit mashy, and Berseria is not an exception as it felt super mashy at first, especially when playing characters with melee attacks only (Velvet and Rokurou) but once I actually bothered to look up at every attack animation/property and set my artee trees I didn't feel it anymore (though you have to remember what you did set xD).

So far, what I absolutely don't like about the combat is the weakness system and the crappy healing spells, and the more you increase the difffculty, the crappier they become. I swear I saw Healing Circle healing a total of 30 hp once, what?!?!? Not to mention their very long casting time... And here I thought the Zestiria healing spells were already bad... they're super good in comparison. I prefer when there is a main healer like Elize in Xillia though xD
Of course there are other way to heal, but healing spells are completely useless like this.
I like the Soul + Break Soul system, though I didn't quite understand yet how you can obtain more of them, it seems it's totally random (like stunning the enemy etc...).
Also, I had read (on different forums) that this game plays like Zestiria and I have to disagree. Whereas it looks like Zestiria (and I played the hell out of it), it plays almost nothing like it (to some degree) and the past games since there are no directional-input attacks, it's simpler and new. The only Zestiria things in this combat are some spells and the BG system, which here is used only to change characters in battle (which is good) and perform mystic artes, in Zesty it had other uses. The arte-tree mechanic was in other games as well as far as I know.

The skills system is FFIX-like, which I liked, so that's a plus.
Overall I like it and I'm definitely looking forward to play more of it. First time I like to play as almost every character, my favorite ones are Eleanor and Eizen, though I switch to Magilou as soon as I see an enemy casting a spell since her Break Soul seems OP. Velvet and Rokurou are fun too, didn't even bother to play the little kid.

On another note, the english VO is fine, though I'm going with the JP one for my first playthrough.
The battle theme is awesome.

On a fair side, that demo has literally placed you with a location full of easier enemies and enhanced levels with some skills unlocked that's not even suppose to be unlocked at all within those corresponding levels. Basically that demo is mostly catering or drawing attention to a certain degree for playability and impressing those with later moves to draw them in from the flash of it.

My only gripe with Berseria when it comes to the combat is that they retain the BG system idea from Zestiria. Zestiria's combat system (imo) is terrible because it forces you to conserve more on the fusion concept than the traditional Tales style. Tales games becomes a mashy game when the enemies is always staggered with stars in their head or flinched from a certain number of combos or flinged in the air, but at the same time it wouldn't be a terrific game if they wouldn't flinch because the game emphasize on that particular concept, it's a JRPG to avoid that particular difficulty (unless you raise it to that degree). So in regards to the healing, I hear it's based on the number of Souls you've acquired and usage. You can actually get Healing Circle heal in the 1000s if you use a Break Soul after it, personally I find this incredibly dumb and further indicating that they are always trying something new to appeal to the crowd, but some stuff you just can't simply create as new when it comes with more annoyance than good. Not to mention that this game version of the series is incredibly offense-oriented where you can literally win a boss battle without them performing any move whatsoever because they are stuck in a loop of constantly blocking majority of the time. When I first saw the concept of those Souls idea, I said to myself "Huh, perhaps this game prevents you from constantly attacking so much." I mean, one would assume that would be the case with the souls dropping, but then they added this bonus affinity idea where if you hit them on their weak spot it'll reduce cost of artes by alot that constantly gives you combos and more souls upon dealing damage to their weak spot or killing them.

So far, I've been enjoying it story-wise and slightly gameplay wise. I find this game to be more improved than Zestiria, some of the characters in Zestiria are just wavering and simply forgettable. Like I could hardly feel importance with some of them. This game? I enjoy some of the characters a lot besides the main character ironically due to how one direction she becomes. I still feel they should of sticked with the Xillia route in terms of combat and adjustment to skills but that one is just me.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I really have tried to make myself interested in that Mass effect game but I just can't do it XD It looks kinda boring imo but the graphics are good. I'm still looking forward to Persona 5 and Dragon Quest Heroes 2, I just hope they'll eventually release more screens of the latter

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I really have tried to make myself interested in that Mass effect game but I just can't do it XD It looks kinda boring imo but the graphics are good. I'm still looking forward to Persona 5 and Dragon Quest Heroes 2, I just hope they'll eventually release more screens of the latter

Mass Effect is pretty good, though mostly story-driven and one of the reasons why people liked it. Unsure how the new one would turn out.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
On a fair side, that demo has literally placed you with a location full of easier enemies and enhanced levels with some skills unlocked that's not even suppose to be unlocked at all within those corresponding levels. Basically that demo is mostly catering or drawing attention to a certain degree for playability and impressing those with later moves to draw them in from the flash of it.

My only gripe with Berseria when it comes to the combat is that they retain the BG system idea from Zestiria. Zestiria's combat system (imo) is terrible because it forces you to conserve more on the fusion concept than the traditional Tales style. Tales games becomes a mashy game when the enemies is always staggered with stars in their head or flinched from a certain number of combos or flinged in the air, but at the same time it wouldn't be a terrific game if they wouldn't flinch because the game emphasize on that particular concept, it's a JRPG to avoid that particular difficulty (unless you raise it to that degree). So in regards to the healing, I hear it's based on the number of Souls you've acquired and usage. You can actually get Healing Circle heal in the 1000s if you use a Break Soul after it, personally I find this incredibly dumb and further indicating that they are always trying something new to appeal to the crowd, but some stuff you just can't simply create as new when it comes with more annoyance than good. Not to mention that this game version of the series is incredibly offense-oriented where you can literally win a boss battle without them performing any move whatsoever because they are stuck in a loop of constantly blocking majority of the time. When I first saw the concept of those Souls idea, I said to myself "Huh, perhaps this game prevents you from constantly attacking so much." I mean, one would assume that would be the case with the souls dropping, but then they added this bonus affinity idea where if you hit them on their weak spot it'll reduce cost of artes by alot that constantly gives you combos and more souls upon dealing damage to their weak spot or killing them.

So far, I've been enjoying it story-wise and slightly gameplay wise. I find this game to be more improved than Zestiria, some of the characters in Zestiria are just wavering and simply forgettable. Like I can't hardly feel importance with some of them. This game? I enjoy some of the characters a lot besides the main character ironically due to how one direction she becomes. I still feel they should of sticked with the Xillia route in terms of combat and adjustment to skills but that one is just me.
Put your rant about the combat system in a spoiler for conserved space.

I'm only 3 hours in myself but I largely agree with you (except I need to actually sink time into Zestiria because I didn't actually play much of it, I had just gotten to the transformations when other things began happening so WAY in the beginning). It took me about 2 hours to finally get used to it and realize how both OP and incredibly annoying it is to execute. On small mobs (so far I've only used Velvet) you can practically infinite them to death with her Soul Break and proper timing (which is to be expected except I'm on Moderate difficulty instead of normal so this shouldn't really be happening, been thinking of upping to the current max because of this) but the annoying part is that you are punished for attacking with the soul system.
I'm still figuring out how to tell when you can attack safely and when you can't because the souls turn red with arte usage but they also have an outline that can be "used" in the same way when all your souls are red (so far I've assumed this outlined diamond is for martial artes and that currently seems to be true). When you soul break too early on bosses you are screwed out of combos until you stun them AND you power up enemies that you've broken (because you lose one soul and your target gains one soul and the more souls = more power) and it is just so difficult to follow in the beginning.
I vastly prefer the combo system of a number of melee attacks into an arte into an arcane arte (from here it depends on character growth) to either another arte/arcane arte or mystic arte. The BG/Soul system is good to a degree but I still feel it limits the player so much until you've put a ton of hours into figuring out how they work (edit: The old/original TP system without being limited by BG. The the system at a basic level is braindead to use, combo until you reach the end of the combo, Soul Break, combo again until Velvet executes her ender from Soul Break).

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Put your rant about the combat system in a spoiler for conserved space.

I'm only 3 hours in myself but I largely agree with you (except I need to actually sink time into Zestiria because I didn't actually play much of it, I had just gotten to the transformations when other things began happening so WAY in the beginning). It took me about 2 hours to finally get used to it and realize how both OP and incredibly annoying it is to execute. On small mobs (so far I've only used Velvet) you can practically infinite them to death with her Soul Break and proper timing (which is to be expected except I'm on Moderate difficulty instead of normal so this shouldn't really be happening, been thinking of upping to the current max because of this) but the annoying part is that you are punished for attacking with the soul system.
I'm still figuring out how to tell when you can attack safely and when you can't because the souls turn red with arte usage but they also have an outline that can be "used" in the same way when all your souls are red (so far I've assumed this outlined diamond is for martial artes and that currently seems to be true). When you soul break too early on bosses you are screwed out of combos until you stun them AND you power up enemies that you've broken (because you lose one soul and your target gains one soul and the more souls = more power) and it is just so difficult to follow in the beginning.
I vastly prefer the combo system of a number of melee attacks into an arte into an arcane arte (from here it depends on character growth) to either another arte/arcane arte or mystic arte. The BG/Soul system is good to a degree but I still feel it limits the player so much until you've put a ton of hours into figuring out how they work.

Some of the stuff is genuinely fun, there has been limitations to the previous Tales, but this one seems more obvious to it. Most Tales of the past have skills to compensate that or a bypass with a certain cost for it, though you usually have to gain that as you progress through the games. MP is not even a thing anymore from the looks of it and those weren't actually bad at all.

Yeah I liked the early strike normal artes into the martial/special artes after it. The game's story has been keeping me up from such things surprisingly, even from the change of combat with Berseria.

Nikotsumi

I don't get how the BG can limit yourself, to be fair I prefer it over the Xillias' stupid overlimit (don't know much what older games had), which forced you to be linked with someone. With the BG you can do mystic artes whenever you want, which I do not think is a bad thing at all.
As for healing, I heard that in Berseria is the same as in Zestiria, it doesn't heal in percentage but it's based on the user's arte attack and on the target's arte defense. Though it's not really the same, they were definitely changed/nerfed, since Healing Circle (let's take this as an example) in Zestiria actually heals a good amount of HP regardless, compared to the other crappy spells, and can heal even more if you raise those stats.
From what I've seen in Berseria the main healing source is your Break Soul, but that means you have to attack even more in order to heal, don't like this. But who knows, maybe at end-game, when your stats are high enough, those spells will become good [?] (I doubt it).
What I also don't like is that they're even worse if you raise the difficulty, and I like to play with the highest difficuly available, guess I'll just disable those spells from the AI then.

The thing is that when you are low in HP you usually stop attacking/back off to defend or heal yourself instead of attacking, in Berseria if you're low on HP you have to attack more, causing you to do even more damage, it's like you're doing the same thing over and over, though appartently you can do this only with Velvet and Eleanor, the other characters' Break Souls are situational, Rokurou's is a perfect example (howver it can still be used to cancel combos)
It would have been better if healing spells were reliable (+heal/a bit shorter casting time) and Break Souls didn't heal you imo.

To be honest I hope they'll go with the Xillia route in terms of combat as well for the next game, since I do not like arte trees that much to begin with. It's true that in Berseria is less limiting, but it still remains so.
With that said, I'll finally be able to start the game in a little while, so I'll have a more clear view.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I don't get how the BG can limit yourself, to be fair I prefer it instead of the Xillias' stupid overlimit, which forced you to be linked with someone. With the BG you can do mystic artes whenever you want, which I do not think is a bad thing at all.
As for healing, I heard that in Berseria is the same as in Zestiria, it doesn't heal in percentage but it's based on the user's arte attack and on the target's arte defense. Though it's not really the same, they were definitely changed/nerfed, since Healing Circle (let's take this as an example) in Zestiria actually heals a good amount of HP regardless, compared to the other crappy spells, and can heal even more if you raise those stats.
From what I've seen in Berseria the main healing source is your Break Soul, but that means you have to attack even more in order to heal, don't like this. But who knows, maybe at end-game, when your stats are high enough, those spells will become good [?] (I doubt it).
What I also don't like is that they're even worse if you raise the difficulty, and I like to play with the highest difficuly available, guess I'll just disable those spells from the AI then.

The thing is that when you are low in HP you usually stop attacking/back off to defend or heal yourself instead of attacking, in Berseria if you're low on HP you have to attack more, causing you to do even more damage, it's like you're doing the same thing over and over, though appartently you can do this only with Velvet and Eleanor, the other characters' Break Souls are situational, Rokurou's is a perfect example (howver it can still be used to cancel combos)
It would have been better if healing spells were reliable (+heal/a bit shorter casting time) and Break Souls didn't heal you imo.

To be honest I hope they'll go with the Xillia route in terms of combat as well for the next game, since I do not like arte trees that much to begin with. It's true that in Berseria is less limiting, but it still remains so.
With that said, I'll finally be able to start the game in a little while, so I'll have a more clear view.

Which is why Berseria is a highly offensive oriented JRPG. There is no real logic to continuously attack (to some degree) just to be healed on a good pace. When you play Berseria and somewhat Zestiria you don't feel overwhelmed at all in situations that calls for dire circumstances, (such as a boss who will constantly toss in Mystic Artes when he/she/it is near death in the older games) the linking was something entirely part of Xillia itself but the skill customization was pretty base compared to the previous ones before it. If anything, Abyss was probably the only one that kept some natural concept down while keeping the game flow at a normal pace. Linking was minor in Xillia (especially 2) where you could literally finish the game without linking at all. It was just there with positive benefits generally.

As for the healing circle idea, I heard it from GameFaqs with that Youtube guy omegarevolution or whatever his name was mentioning about break souls is where you get the most buck out of bad situations (which isn't grand on that case since you are not often in heavy danger except for specific battles, unsure if it's just bad AI or that your attacks causes the AI to loop in block phase.)

Yeah I agree with the Xillia combat route, though I do prefer they do not use BG gauge in the future at all to eliminate the annoyance factor. It's not exactly contributing difficulty factor but more of a nuisance. If they want to stick with it, then by all means they can since it is actually tolerable to complete the game. It's best we keep these posts to a minimum since it's a whole Role Playing Thread than a Tales thread.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Tomorrow first press previews of Horizon Zero Dawn should trickle in. There will also be a live stream of new gameplay with the Dutch developer. It will be 18:00 pm European time. For once we EU people won't have to wait till late night or early morning. XD I'll be back with a link when the time comes. :)

Until then let's have some amazing new screens:

image_horizon_zero_dawn-33910-3283_0006.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-33910-3283_0004.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-33910-3283_0001.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-33910-3283_0007.jpg

#mostbeautifulopenworldgrpg

@Jadeinchains will you be experiencing the live stream with me? :)

Jadeinchains

I might actually just to check out the game more to see if it interests me, It is definitely gorgeous based on those screenshots.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
First two Horizon Zero Dawn preview vids up! :D

2 minutes of Pro footage:

Dat lighting... =Q=

33 minutes of regular PS4 gameplay:

Looks gorgeous too!

Edit:
I think I'm going to open Horizon Zero Dawn thread once more material comes later today. :)

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
From Corriors to Mountains, IGN's look behind the scene of Horizon Zero Dawn:

Guerilla Games jumping into a completely new genre could either turn out fantastic...or a complete mess, lol. XD

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'll have to wait to find out... Horizon looks amazing but all the footage of Yakuza Zero and especially its goofy side quests I need to buy that game.

Im definitely still getting Horizon just not at release lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD