Thoughts on Hitomi thus far post Itagaki.

Do you want Hitomi to be redeemed in terms of plot, feature, and gameplay?

• Total voters
Hitomi had such amazing potential since being a poster girl and with such popularity, she was up there with the ninjas but her role in the story didn’t make through with the ninjas. Instead TN made doa6 repetitive of her losing to the champion who is this time Diego, flirting with Eliot, losing to a spar to Leifang, but what is new is that she beated Honoka who is related to Ayane whom she met back in DOAD. To me, the golden trio will consist of Kasumi, Ayane, and Hitomi no matter what and Dead Fantasy even as a fan project has proven that. I am amazed and proud that my favorite girl is up there in the polls despite how poorly she was treated in terms of facial feature, gameplay, and plot since the start of doa5. I hope there is a chance for her to redeem in the future if Itagaki ever returns or if he is doing his best to influence his loyal tn followers. She is one of Itagaki’s favs and I hate how much the current tn has shown her such disregard these days. Not to mention I want her tank top and jeans to be her main costume again instead of some traditional karate outfit. One of these days I would love to see her being as one of the main protagonists aside Kasumi and Ayane in terms of nostalgia during her glory days in a dlc, spinoff, or a request for a sequel. Tn better not disappoint!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't think that's gonna happen tbh, Hitomi isn't one of the main characters and she doesn't have much of a connection with Hayate. And her plot isn't really important to make her a main protagonist either. She's a staple character but doesn't really have anything major to offer story wise

Tina2040_

Was Hitomi always going to be the new "It" girl though?
Of course she was pushed heavily in DOA3 - so was Christie - because they were new characters.
Her appearance in DOA2U supports your argument, however she was indeed stripped of her starring role in DOA4 as Helena took center stage along with the ninjas. Hitomi was reduced to a trivial plot, which is a shame.
I wonder the reasoning behind the change of emphasis on her as a poster girl from DOA3 to DOA4.

She was pushed a bit for DOA5 too, but her story didn't go anywhere. I always thought they were trying to set her up for higher billing in the DOA franchise when they revealed her before Kasumi for DOA5... but again, that amounted to nothing.

Hopefully in DOA7 characters such as Mila, Hitomi and Eliot can get the higher billing.

Split69

I don't think that's gonna happen tbh, Hitomi isn't one of the main characters and she doesn't have much of a connection with Hayate. And her plot isn't really important to make her a main protagonist either. She's a staple character but doesn't really have anything major to offer story wise
Hitomi has always been my favorite female fighter especially since most of the love usually goes to ayane and kasumi but you can't deny that hitomi is a beast in doa6 gameplay wise any ways least from what I've seen, i always thought there should have been more deeper story with her and Ein, but then again the story aspect from doa seems to be rather rushed and short, DOA was my first fighter I played online and always has a soft spot in my heart even tho I feel like they have rather missed the high mark of the past series iterations , say what you want but the core elements to me a long with the pretty graphics has the potential at the very least to be the best fighting game period, but that's up to the developers to deliver all we can do is play the game

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Was Hitomi always going to be the new "It" girl though?

Originally she was designed to replace Kasumi. In DOA3 early concept they were planning on doing a Street Fighter Alpha like change where most of the roster was going to be new.

That said, Itagaki ruined Hitomi in DOA4, and 5 and 6 (moreso 5) look to put her character back towards her DOA3 state.

Tina2040_

Originally she was designed to replace Kasumi. In DOA3 early concept they were planning on doing a Street Fighter Alpha like change where most of the roster was going to be new.

That said, Itagaki ruined Hitomi in DOA4, and 5 and 6 (moreso 5) look to put her character back towards her DOA3 state.

Interesting, do you have a source for the DOA3 early concept? I'd love to know more!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Interesting, do you have a source for the DOA3 early concept? I'd love to know more!

I forget which source it was that told me that. Either in the DOA History book or on Itagaki's facebook wall in a comment section where he stated it, along with some other facts from him such as what "OMEGA" was and why they couldn't snap him back to normal. He said Epsilon was DOATEC's research into mind wiping and making a human shell, and Alpha was DOATEC's research into making the perfect body/warrior, and OMEGA was their end form of the two where they were successful in mind wiping someone - in this case Genra - and boosting the body's performance at the same time.

Fun related tip, one of the DOA1 concepts for a poster of the characters used Street Fighter Alpha's character poster as a reference. lol.

Thank goodness it didn't happen.

Would have certainly been a modern day Koei Tecmo blunder of a decision I'm sure.

Dionysus

Yeah, that story is in DOA History Team Ninja Freaks too. It's on pages 82-83. He talks about how they planned to replace the old characters and have the new ones meet them in DOA4, but gave up the idea because they realized how much people cared about the old characters such as Kasumi. Interesting idea but would have been a disaster probably. I wonder if characters like Hitomi would be as ill-remembered as the SC5 ones if she had replaced Kasumi etc.

KwonJigglypuff

Hitomi is supposed to be the poster girl for Tutorial nowadays.

They need to connect her a bit more to the ninjas though. She could have gone to MIST lab to save Hayate, but Honoka and Marie took her spot. She's outdated. Too old. Muahaha.
Maybe in DOA7 she could try to enter the ninja village and get beaten by Shiden for that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD