Throw trades

dawnbringer

For everyone who doesn't know how throws trade in this game. If two throws connect at the exact same frame a randomly selected player wins with a counter throw.

I think that given an opportunity that shall be changed in future versions to eliminate this kind of randomness. Easy and effective solution is to make trading throws whiff for every consecutive simultaneous active frame. So either a throw with more active frames wins or, if both have the same active frames, both whiff completely.

There are games that already implement throw trades correctly. Examples are SoulCalibur V and BlazBlue CS.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What about rewarding to the throw that does more damage?, which then of course would lend the question "if throws did equal damage then how would they trade?".

d3v

This would be solved if there were a tech system similar to 3rd Strike.

dawnbringer

What about rewarding to the throw that does more damage?, which then of course would lend the question "if throws did equal damage then how would they trade?".

There are also combo throws and no damage throws that have damage potential but are bound to lose trade to regular throws, if trade is resolved this way.

dawnbringer

Or just an auto throw-break.

While it's definitely a possibility, it's much harder to implement. Currently only neutral and combo throws have throw break animations and frame data. Existing throw breaks grant someone advantage and disadvantage, i.e. lead to non-neutral situation. This solution would require a lot of new throw break animations for throws that do not currently have them, and adjustments to existing ones.

If fully implemented, it would look rather nice. Not too far away from implementing actual throw breaks. But this is definitely not "just an auto throw-break"--it's not that simple.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The problem with doing an "auto throw-break" is that one character will be left at disadvantage.

Evil_Gotenks

Perhaps something like this:
- Winner is the person higher throw stat
- If equal, winner is the thrower who had to go through more frames to land the throw
- If equal, winner is the most damaging throw
- If equal, then fuck this, i'm out

The only way to actually solve it is by both whiffin, some auto break animation (idk, both characters fumble with each others arms quickly and then push each other away, frames r neutral). U could spend all day trying to come up with a logical choice, but there'll always be that rare occassion of it being a mirror match and the same throw happens at the same time.

Tones

Premium Donor
While it's definitely a possibility, it's much harder to implement. Currently only neutral and combo throws have throw break animations and frame data. Existing throw breaks grant someone advantage and disadvantage, i.e. lead to non-neutral situation. This solution would require a lot of new throw break animations for throws that do not currently have them, and adjustments to existing ones.

If fully implemented, it would look rather nice. Not too far away from implementing actual throw breaks. But this is definitely not "just an auto throw-break"--it's not that simple.
That's a joke right.

The problem with doing an "auto throw-break" is that one character will be left at disadvantage.
Just change the value on the frame advantage. My thoughts were more along the line of both characters shrug it off.

NightAntilli

What about... A shake mechanic? They stand together like they're trying to push each other, and the one who 'slow escapes' the fastest, causes a throw break that gives him a slight advantage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD