DOA6 Tournament Preview Showcases New Moves

Last weekend there was a casual tournament for Dead or Alive 6 at Couch Warriors Crossup in Melbourne, Australia. This preview was informative, but also our first glimpse of what competitive DOA6 could be like. The DOA6 demo provided runs on the same build shown at DOA Festival, so you will see improvements to the stage design and more Bass gameplay, who has hardly been seen since his reveal.

Considering this was a preview event, the matches were really good for the time these fighters had with DOA6. Some players do not like the Break Blow and Hold mechanics, but these players showed how imperative they are to creating a more seamless experience. When you combine these factors with the improved animation, you have an absolutely stunning game that defines what an e-sport title should be for competitive players and spectators alike.

Competitive player, @Berzerk! has posted all kinds of new moves, lists and changes to his YouTube channel as an extension of content to the recorded casual matches at Couch Warriors. Team NINJA gave these players an opportunity to show the world DOA6, and they did an impeccable job of managing their time experimenting with different characters. You can also read a followup report by Berzerk! in the forum with even more interesting system findings!

He confirms in his video that Bass has a brand new hit throw (input is 44P*T) which gives the champion more variety to his move pool. If you watch the Bass matches provided you will notice his high damage output through strikes and counter throws, plus a brand new launch throw. Specifically watching Bass in this casual fight with Mila displays significant improvement to the hit detection of his moves in DOA5 from the start of the match.

Helena players might be excited by her new sidestep from the Bokuho stance! The command for this move is 2P+K, and according to Berzerk it evades the initial frame of an attack. If you do not perfect the timing for this sidestep, you will be punished for it as shown in the video.

If you're studying the Christie matchup for DOA6, you can check out her current move list, and Berzerk displays a few new move videos for your observation. In the first video we see that Christie has a punch and kick option out of her 7K backflip. So not only can she keep people away with initial move, but she can dive in with the punch and transition to a different side with the kick option.

In the second video you will see that she has an extension to her BT launcher that allows her to keep her opponent in the air for an extended amount of time. Judging by these early matches, one may assume that Christie will still be an extremely effective character for tournament play. She has damaging moves, she's one of the fastest characters in the game, and now has even more ways to keep her damage going.

While we are on the topics of heights and launchers, let's pay close attention to his video featuring Hitomi. As he says "Launch height depends on the launcher in DOA6." He demonstrates the same combo from different launchers, and shows that you can get a follow up from a bound attack after a combo. Bezerk also wants players to understand the difference in damage between Hitomi's 236P and the Break Blow as the follow ups.

Bezerk also added a video that details some of Diego's current safe moves and some fuzzy guarding techniques from them. Diego has a few awesome guard breaks and moves that allow him to escape throws and mid attacks. Beyond these specific topics, you might see Diego perform a move or two you haven't seen in this footage.

A few days passed before Berzerk uploaded a new video of Tina fighting Diego at the 'Forbidden Fortune' stage. Not a lot of moves outside of her DOA5 list are discovered in this casual fight, but there are some remedies for that. Tina enthusiasts will be happy to know that her classic 4K, KP, 66K, PP string and 6PP moves have returned to her arsenal.

Though the information on Tina is sparse, there are some new moves displayed outside of Tina's rump-thrusting break blow. She has a new high elbow attack that can hit and extend even when your opponent is close to the ground, and a new stomp type move when her opponent is on the ground. Both of these attack could play out interestingly when you factor in how many ground options Tina has.

Berzerk also uses his main character, Leifang to illustrate pieces of DOA6s system changes with the DOA Festival build. He shows that the ground game is still being debated at Team NINJA since it is currently incomplete and can go on forever. Though the bounds mechanic sees more completion as it adds more variety and options to the gameplay.

Even if this wasn't a major tournament, a lot of new material was discovered from the demo that wasn't seen at DOA Festival. If you watched everything you might have noticed that the ash and dirt from the explosions on 'Road Rage' sticks to the fighters, and their clothing will tear as well. Team NINJA is applying a coat of polish to an already attractive DOA6 and we will continue to keep you updated on everything at FSD, even through the holiday season!

Last edited:
That sidestep option for Helena seems interesting. Hard but rewarding. Thanks for the footage. It's hard to see all her new moves.

Looks like Bass 1pp no longer guarantees pick up. Or Berzerk timing was just off. Not a fan of that not guaranteeing a pick up.

Decent article Ninja, but a little feedback can you dial back the bias on DOA?

"When you combine these factors with the improved animation, you have an absolutely stunning game that defines what an e-sport title should be for competitive players and spectators alike."

Lines like that don't add anything to the article and indirectly throws shade at other games. You should work on using less bias language and stay more neutral and take advantage of using hard news approach.

This is just feedback that's all. Just another writer from another, who has experience writing news article for high school and college. I get this site is about DOA and for DOA fans. That's great, but websites such as 8ywarun and TestYourMight don't write articles like this. They are more straight to the point and give you the information you want to know.

With that said, I'm happy DOA 6 is looking solid. I still think the game doesn't need meters in the same vein as Soul Calibur but it seems like it overshadow the game too much similar to SC6. Looking forward to popping off with Zack.

Decent article Ninja, but a little feedback can you dial back the bias on DOA?

"When you combine these factors with the improved animation, you have an absolutely stunning game that defines what an e-sport title should be for competitive players and spectators alike."

Lines like that don't add anything to the article and indirectly throws shade at other games. You should work on using less bias language and stay more neutral and take advantage of using hard news approach.

This is just feedback that's all. Just another writer from another, who has experience writing news article for high school and college. I get this site is about DOA and for DOA fans. That's great, but websites such as 8ywarun and TestYourMight don't write articles like this. They are more straight to the point and give you the information you want to know.

With that said, I'm happy DOA 6 is looking solid. I still think the game doesn't need meters in the same vein as Soul Calibur but it seems like it overshadow the game too much similar to SC6. Looking forward to popping off with Zack.

I am not unfairly prejudice or against anyone playing other games outside of DOA. I think zealot or extremist would be a more suitable word for me, and I'm going to preach the word of DOA as loud as I can.

Sometimes I enjoy using exaggerations to make a point, and I want my excitement for DOA6 to come through every chance I get. My objective is to promote the game to the best of my ability, and explain why it is so great while having fun.

Love 8wayrun, but it's not FSD. The views per story are not so different that I would change my style of text based news to be like all of the others. Your feedback is noted, but I assure you that we have a drafting process and my extremities are kept at a very fair balance.

Last edited:
Levels and characters are looking really clean. I'm glad they have added new moves plus the break blow. That gives players more things to do and tools to use. Plus now people can't complain about being wrecked on a wall because now they can use the break system to escape.

I am not unfairly prejudice or against anyone playing other games outside of DOA. I think zealot or extremist would be a more suitable word for me, and I'm going to preach the word of DOA as loud as I can.

Sometimes I enjoy using exaggerations to make a point, and I want my excitement for DOA6 to come through every chance I get. My objective is to promote the game to the best of my ability, and explain why it is so great while having fun.

Love 8wayrun, but it's not FSD. The views per story are not so different that I would change my style of text based news to be like all of the others. Your feedback is noted, but I assure you that we have a drafting process and my extremities are kept at a very fair balance.
I would tighten it still. You can hype for DOA 6 that's cool but there is a still way to do it. For example, when my Cubs won the World Series Chicago Sports writers showed their glee and excitement with quotes and really selling you on how hard was the grind to get the title. Your approach is more of the creative writing side of things, and if it was your personal blog or anything I wouldn't be as worried about some of the language you're using. Either way, thanks for the classy response. I know we don't have the best history, but I like to provide fair and honest feedback. I do enjoy a lot of your articles as you really know how to use hard news effectively.

Last edited:
I would tighten it still. You can hype for DOA 6 that's cool but there is a still way to do it. For example, when my Cubs won the World Series Chicago Sports writers showed their glee and excitement with quotes and really selling you on how hard was the grind to get the title. Your approach is more of the creative writing side of things, and if it was your personal blog or anything I wouldn't be as worried about some of the language you're using. Either way, thanks for the classy response. I know we don't have the best history, but I like to provide fair and honset feedback. I do enjoy a lot of your articles as you really know how to use hard news effectively.

You spelled honest wrong. :p Anyway, let's forget about the past and move on with enjoying Dead or Alive 6. If you feel the need to further critique my work, a PM would be most appreciated so that we do not get too off-topic. You are appreciated, my friend -- do not mistake that.

For the rest that have been following this post, you might want to give it another look as I have made updates to the original post adding more links, all of the additional videos that Chris added later on.

A Twitter analysis is also in the works, but I may reserve that content for the specified thread in the forum. The information DOA6 and Team NINJA Twitters are good, but they are a little vague and have gotten some people upset pertaining to the wall game.

The wallgame is.....interesting. Let's just say that. Okay, I'll move it to PM next time. I look forward to more. Now onto this I still have yet to watch the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD