• Xbox 360

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm honestly just hoping for realistic sales expectations for the game at this point. Ideally there's an even distribution across both platforms, though I see 360 edging out PS3 in the short- and long-term. A lot of people use wireless connections on PS3, more than 360, simply because it's more accessible. That's not good for most fighting games, but hopefully people realize that and wire the fuck up. Realistically, TK should be expecting about 1.5 million in sales. I don't see it doing more than that because the casual crowd likely feels like the genre is oversaturated and will pick up TTT2 and DoA5 purely based on what their friends want to play. DoA has the low bar to entry and TTT2 has a lot of weight behind the name as well as content.

We'll see.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Northern California, Yuba City to be exact.
-Interesting. So it seems the 360 may have the majority of participating players overall. But like I said, we will get a final tally at the end of the year to determine which system would be our tournament platform of choice.

I'm honestly just hoping for realistic sales expectations for the game at this point. Ideally there's an even distribution across both platforms, though I see 360 edging out PS3 in the short- and long-term. A lot of people use wireless connections on PS3, more than 360, simply because it's more accessible. That's not good for most fighting games, but hopefully people realize that and wire the fuck up. Realistically, TK should be expecting about 1.5 million in sales. I don't see it doing more than that because the casual crowd likely feels like the genre is oversaturated and will pick up TTT2 and DoA5 purely based on what their friends want to play. DoA has the low bar to entry and TTT2 has a lot of weight behind the name as well as content.

We'll see.
-Well, Doa4 sold on par to that of Tk6, and Doa4 was considered to be utter garbage, while Tk6 was viewed in a far better light. Tk6 was also on both consoles, while Doa4 was not. Now That Doa5 will be on both, it may very well sell more copies than TTT2. Time would only tell for sure.

DrDogg

Any tournaments I run, I will be pushing for the game to be played on PS3 unless something is discovered that favors the 360 in technical aspects.

You've been warned... ;)

-Well, Doa4 sold on par to that of Tk6, and Doa4 was considered to be utter garbage, while Tk6 was viewed in a far better light. Tk6 was also on both consoles, while Doa4 was not. Now That Doa5 will be on both, it may very well sell more copies than TTT2. Time would only tell for sure.

No offense, but I will be shocked if DOA5 outsells TTT2. There's plenty of room for both games to enjoy great sales, but Namco just has more marketing money and at this point, a larger fan base. Tekken is the best selling fighting game franchise in the world. Any fighting game would have a hard time going head-to-head with it.

UnD34D

I was pretty sure I compared sales of these two games in some thread on this site when Blazeincarnated said something similar and DOA4 didn't sell anywhere near as much as T6. In fact I'm pretty sure DOA +DOAD didn't sell as much as T6...

Edit: Found my post in the TTT2 bikini's thread. DR2K said vgchartz's numbers can't be trusted, but it seemed like the most reputable source with sources of their own that I found. I'm sure if I looked around elsewhere I would find similar numbers. I honestly don't even know how someone could fathom that DOA4 sold almost as much as T6.

Tekken 6: 3,780,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tekken 6

Dead or Alive 4: 500,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/479/dead-or-alive-4/

UnD34D

As long as DOA5 sells enough to get us DOA6 within a couple of years, we're good.
As long as DOA5 warrants a DOA6 we're good.

I'm actually curious, to all the people who want DOA5 tournies on 360, how many of you own a PS3? And vice versa for PS3 users? I've said before my 360 died and I haven't bought another one, I keep a 360 controller for tournaments though, but it pretty much just sits getting dusty in a drawer. I'm just curious if people are voting for a certain system because they only own that system or because they truly think it should be on that system. I know CE has both systems, I assume AP does also, and you both vote for 360 for the reason that DoA4 was on 360, makes sense, I assume DrDogg has both and if I needed a 360 again I could get one, and we both want PS3 due to the controller and from what I've seen, the majority of fighters prefer the PS3. Both have very valid reasons, so I'm just curious who has both.

daman077c

I was pretty sure I compared sales of these two games in some thread on this site when Blazeincarnated said something similar and DOA4 didn't sell anywhere near as much as T6. In fact I'm pretty sure DOA +DOAD didn't sell as much as T6...

Edit: Found my post in the TTT2 bikini's thread. DR2K said vgchartz's numbers can't be trusted, but it seemed like the most reputable source with sources of their own that I found. I'm sure if I looked around elsewhere I would find similar numbers. I honestly don't even know how someone could fathom that DOA4 sold almost as much as T6.

Tekken 6: 3,780,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tekken 6

Dead or Alive 4: 500,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/479/dead-or-alive-4/

Dead or Alive sold just over 1 million copies, that was the bar to get into the Platinum Hits collection, which DOA 4 is listed in.

DR2K was correct in saying vgchartz's figures can't be trusted, they apparently took away some half a million sales (according to their estimates) for God of War 3. That said, the Tekken 6 sales numbers listed there is probably off as well.

UnD34D

Dead or Alive sold just over 1 million copies, that was the bar to get into the Platinum Hits collection, which DOA 4 is listed in.

DR2K was correct in saying vgchartz's figures can't be trusted, they apparently took away some half a million sales (according to their estimates) for God of War 3. That said, the Tekken 6 sales numbers listed there is probably off as well.
I dunno a good source then. I looked at each of their wikis,

DOA4: Dead or Alive 4 has sold 1.2 million copies world wide (uncited)
T6: As of May 2011, Tekken 6 has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide ("Tekken 6 breaks 3 million sales". Eurogamer)

I did a bit of googling and didn't come up with shit else though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I vote for 360 for two very basic reasons, the first being controller preference (genuinely hate the PS3 dpad, despite a lot of others loving it) and Xbox Live. Just a better setup with cross-game chat, more wired connections (in theory), and other core Xbox features like custom soundtracks, my personal crack achievements, and more control over your online presence. The last few weren't Live-specific, obviously, but nice little Xbox features that PS3 is lacking. Trophies just aren't the same, meng.

Raansu

As long as DOA5 warrants a DOA6 we're good.

I'm actually curious, to all the people who want DOA5 tournies on 360, how many of you own a PS3? And vice versa for PS3 users? I've said before my 360 died and I haven't bought another one, I keep a 360 controller for tournaments though, but it pretty much just sits getting dusty in a drawer. I'm just curious if people are voting for a certain system because they only own that system or because they truly think it should be on that system. I know CE has both systems, I assume AP does also, and you both vote for 360 for the reason that DoA4 was on 360, makes sense, I assume DrDogg has both and if I needed a 360 again I could get one, and we both want PS3 due to the controller and from what I've seen, the majority of fighters prefer the PS3. Both have very valid reasons, so I'm just curious who has both.

I have both systems and will be buying both versions but I will be primarily playing on the 360 because that is my preferred system.

d3v

...the majority of fighters prefer the PS3.
Sony has been showing more interest in competitive fighting games and the scene as of late. Getting into EVO was only the first step. Now it seems that they're starting to capitalize on that. Here in Asia, they're sponsoring more and more tournaments. SEA Major (which was a road to EVO event) ran on PS3s thanks to Sony, meanwhile Tougeki is using PS3 for it's console games.

In any case, it's only Capcom who had issues developing for the PS3, once they used it as their lead console, the issues disappeared (3SOE, SFxT).

DrDogg

PS3 is the lead platform for DOA5 and the controller is much better.

I own both consoles though... and I play on stick. It really doesn't matter which console it's played on if the technical aspects are the same, but I favor PS3 due to my first statement.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
DrDogg said:
Any tournaments I run, I will be pushing for the game to be played on PS3 unless something is discovered that favors the 360 in technical aspects.

You've been warned... ;)

No offense, but I will be shocked if DOA5 outsells TTT2. There's plenty of room for both games to enjoy great sales, but Namco just has more marketing money and at this point, a larger fan base. Tekken is the best selling fighting game franchise in the world. Any fighting game would have a hard time going head-to-head with it.

-The current fanbase for both games are quite equal. With Tk having a superior competitive scene. Tk accumilated sales as a series is large, but that is due to its early installments in The 90's. Its current sales pale in comparison. And this with Doa being an console exclusive for its last outing.

-This is neither here or there. Hopefully the game is good enough to support a large competitive scene.

DrDogg

-The current fanbase for both games are quite equal. With Tk having a superior competitive scene. Tk accumilated sales as a series is large, but that is due to its early installments in The 90's. Its current sales pale in comparison. And this with Doa being an console exclusive for its last outing.

The logic of this paragraph completely escapes me...

Berzerk!

Sony has been showing more interest in competitive fighting games and the scene as of late. Getting into EVO was only the first step.
Did they get into EVO or were they handed a golden ticket by the Cannons choosing their system? I get the feeling a lot of the Sony support at certain events is due to the legacy of certain people having old PS2 and just carrying over, converters were ready earlier for their PS2 sticks and pad players were already catered for.

If they're directly sponsoring events, that's a positive new development.

Overall its still going to be up to individual tournament organisers. I'll buy the game on both but run it on Xbox, as that's just what I play more often. Our scene here from locals to majors all run on Xbox, and we encourage use of sticks (we accomodate pad play with converters available too) so platform is not a big issue.

So if it so happens that someone comes in from Xbox or PS3 as their home platform, they'll be able to play just as they normally do.

I don't advocate either as a community, just be prepared to play either according to the event.

d3v

Did they get into EVO or were they handed a golden ticket by the Cannons choosing their system? I get the feeling a lot of the Sony support at certain events is due to the legacy of certain people having old PS2 and just carrying over, converters were ready earlier for their PS2 sticks and pad players were already catered for.

If they're directly sponsoring events, that's a positive new development.
Combination of both. PS3 was used at EVO due to Tekken 5 DR. Then Sony took advantage of this (thanks in part to Jared Rea who is now with Twitch.tv) and added some sponsorship later on. Now they're actually starting to develop with the competitive crowd in mind. Just look at Sony Santa Monica, they've basically filled that (and SuperBot) with FG talent from Sean Gilley (top Guile player), to Seth. The we have Omar, Clockw0rk, Ed Ma and MAJ at SuperBot.

DrDogg

Do any of those people at SuperBot play Smash at a competitive level? It's great to have all that talent there, I'm just curious as to how much it will help the game appeal to the Smash crowd (or if they'd rather appeal to the standard FGC).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Do any of those people at SuperBot play Smash at a competitive level? It's great to have all that talent there, I'm just curious as to how much it will help the game appeal to the Smash crowd (or if they'd rather appeal to the standard FGC).

Speaking of which, you recommend that the DOA boys huddle up with the Smash boys? I mean I could see the logic... there would probably be a bit of crossover there from a casual standpoint.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD