Tournament system of choice for DOA5?

Which system?

• PS3

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

DrDogg

Speaking of which, you recommend that the DOA boys huddle up with the Smash boys? I mean I could see the logic... there would probably be a bit of crossover there from a casual standpoint.

Smash players generally only take Smash seriously. I don't think it would benefit DOA5 to start grouping ourselves with the Smash players.

UnD34D

Smash players generally only take Smash seriously. I don't think it would benefit DOA5 to start grouping ourselves with the Smash players.
Not to mention our community is in a negative enough light. I mean, we're negatively viewed, Smash is pretty negatively viewed too. I think this grouping with VF is one of the best things that could've happened to DOA and we should honestly embrace it. On topic though, I'd like to say I fucking hate Sony right now, as nothing I try is letting me add funds to my wallet, and I want to download VF5FS really badly...

daman077c

I'd expect with NamcoBandai developing the next Smash game, that more of the FGC will take a chance on the game, and more people will take it seriously, or at least, you'd think.

DrDogg

I'd expect with NamcoBandai developing the next Smash game, that more of the FGC will take a chance on the game, and more people will take it seriously, or at least, you'd think.

Depends how involved they are. If they're just doing whatever Sakurai tells them, then it may not have a significant impact.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
UnD34D said:
Not to mention our community is in a negative enough light. I mean, we're negatively viewed, Smash is pretty negatively viewed too. I think this grouping with VF is one of the best things that could've happened to DOA and we should honestly embrace it. On topic though, I'd like to say I fucking hate Sony right now, as nothing I try is letting me add funds to my wallet, and I want to download VF5FS really badly...

Combining the strengths of both fighters to negate their weaknesses. But I think its much easier for Doa, than it would be for Vf. Doa from its inception was meant to be a flashy new school VF.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
There shouldn't be any more integration than some guest characters, in my opinion. Would I love DoA to be known as a super deep, super respectable fighter? Sure. But come on, this will NEVER happen because we're talking about the internet, here. Worse, we're talking about gamers on the internet, the biggest group of keyboard commandos in history. Keep DoA true to its roots with enough evolution and roster updates to keep it relevant. Madden's been doing it for years and so has WoW and the rest. We don't need to change DoA anymore and combining with VF in any major way would be a terrible idea.

All that said, it seems to me like this thread should be locked or split since it's way off topic at this point.

Berzerk!

In my community, working with smash on an event level is very benificial and you do see some crossover with smash players trying other games.
The main thing is to be inviting and get multiple groups into the one space, have enough scope for friendly casual matches, and let players do what they do.
Keeping on topic, it's another good reason not to officially pin down a tournament platform preference s it's so event dependent.

Our "official" tournament rules should only state for players to be prepared to play on both, encourage use of arcade sticks as a standard (that will make it easier for wider fgc to pick it up - lets not have to jump the hurdle of people assuming its only for pad players). That and other important stuff like round and life settings.
(for the record I advocate default life - normal - 3 rounds per match, best 2 of 3 per set, double elim, extend match count in top 2-4)
On strategy, we should be following what vf has done and any event that holds vf, approach them with Doa. For the end of year major here I was asked what numbers we'd get for Doa and as a rule of thumb I said same as vf. I fully expect that crowd to cross over

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
If it's run at Evo on PS3 pads will be banned. For that reason alone I'd say it should be nailed down as 360. A lot of tournament organizers have been jumping on board with banning PS3 pads, too, so it's not just Evo. Not all of them, mind, and not even a majority of the majors, but enough that it'd be a problem if we do get the attention we're looking for.

DrDogg

If it's run at Evo on PS3 pads will be banned. For that reason alone I'd say it should be nailed down as 360. A lot of tournament organizers have been jumping on board with banning PS3 pads, too, so it's not just Evo. Not all of them, mind, and not even a majority of the majors, but enough that it'd be a problem if we do get the attention we're looking for.

Even if the community decides 360 is the tournament platform, Evo will still run the game on PS3. And it's not all pads that are banned, it's only Dual Shock 3 and Sixaxis wireless controllers that are banned.

DrDogg

Are they still banned if you plug it into the PS3?

Yeah, it's not like the 360 where plugging it in negates the wireless feature. The wireless PS3 controllers are always wireless. The cord only charges the controller, nothing more.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Even if the community decides 360 is the tournament platform, Evo will still run the game on PS3. And it's not all pads that are banned, it's only Dual Shock 3 and Sixaxis wireless controllers that are banned.

I think they'd make an exception if the community plays almost exclusively on 360. I mean, they did run DoA4 and there was no PS3 version.

DrDogg

I think they'd make an exception if the community plays almost exclusively on 360. I mean, they did run DoA4 and there was no PS3 version.

That was before the Sony sponsorship. Not to mention DOA4 was 360-exclusive so there wasn't a choice in the matter. The Capcom community is very clear that they feel the 360 version is superior, and Evo still runs PS3. I would be shocked if they made an exception for DOA.

Megawarrior

Yeah, it's not like the 360 where plugging it in negates the wireless feature. The wireless PS3 controllers are always wireless. The cord only charges the controller, nothing more.
I always wondered....how does the controller run when you plug it into a laptop or pc for emulators?

DrDogg

I always wondered....how does the controller run when you plug it into a laptop or pc for emulators?

You can't just plug it in and have it work like the 360 controller. You need special drivers and a blutooth device to make it work.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD