Training/SParring

Minatao

So i consider myself fairly new to the DoA series. I've been playing a few years, but it wasn't until DoA 5 Ultimate that i really started getting hardcore into things. I get a lot of hate simply for my character choice, because a lot of people seem to really dislike Kasumi. So i want to change that. I want people to see me as more than just some combo spamming noob, i really do want to get better at this. If anyone is interested I play Last Round on PS4, Minatao. Hit me up if you want a friendly, or if you're looking for a ranked match. I don't mindsome competition.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
doing combo's isn't really spamming
but doing the same combo over and over again can get a bit annoying for the opponent. Then again its there fault for keep getting caught.
if you want to avoid trouble you can learn more combos if you like kasumi has a lot of options. I personally don't care about the hate mail XD

I am a kasumi player myself, you can add my psn if you like to play I am still learning myself.

Minatao

Well i don't mind the hate mail as much as i hate the people who just whine that they don't know how to counter Kasumi. But i'm always up for learning, I've been practicing more of her evasive maneuvers (The backflip dodge and a few others) and kinda playing more a hit and run game.. but i want to learn a few more strategies. DoA is surprisingly technical that's why i love it. If people want to add me to help practice, please, i always welcome the help. The community here is amazing, and i could learn a lot ithink.

Soaring Zero

Sorry you get hate bro. I main Kasumi as well and I get some crap for it too like "Your character is OP that's the only way you win", and "Kasumi takes no skill you just spam the same cheap moves over and over". The salt is oh so real especially for anyone who mains one of the ninja. If I had a PS4 I'd be happy to play with you.

But a tiny tip, the hit and run strategy is ok for Kasumi I mean she's fast enough to pull it off just fine but she actually has the tools to be very aggressive mainly in the mid to close range. You should find out what her safe pokes and mixups are and use those to open your opponent up. Try to get good at mixing in throws as well as she has some good ones mainly 236T and 33T.

Minatao

Thanks for the tips. And i know she has some VERY agressive moves that end in a teleport and a few other nasty moves. But i don't know the game well enough to really pull those off. That's why i'm here. best way to learn is to throw down right?

Soaring Zero

Good attitude. Take your time and learn the basics of the game first before worrying about character specific things. You'll find plenty of good players here who would gladly help you along the way.

Minatao

Well i've played since DoA 4, i'm just new to the competitive aspects of the game. I need to practice my holds and my defensive timing, but the fundamentals i'm pretty solid with at kasumi.. I'm a solid E rank at my best and an F- at worst... not much but... It's a start.

Intelligent Alpha

Any other characters that might help me get hold timing and defense down a bit better maybe?

Bayman, Leon, Leifang, Bass, Tina - since they are perceived to favor holding often! If you're trying to get hold timing down, practice against any ninja! Oh, look - my avatar! The spazzing against her is ridiculous! (I'm serious - "She's too fast!") Christie ... no one is worthy of being her toy! Helena - she is no slouch either!

If you wanna get fancy and do advanced holds: Bayman, Leifang, Ryu, Kasumi, Hitomi, Mila (she fits the above, too), Ayane ...

Piece of adivice (and people shun this), but even when you get to where you can hold very effectively, it is not a bad option to block because you can get punished. This is unwise against Bayman, Bass, Tina and don't ever do this against Alpha! There is no reason to take more damage than necessary! 100 > 150!

Also, if you wanna get good at holding, slow down! Defense is meant to be played slowly! I'll use Alpha as an example! There is nothing wrong with beating her defensively (except it being "too hard"). I've played many who more often than not take the easy route usually ending in no-contests. However, games are much better when they don't! I've seen improvement from players whom I've given this advice to whether I've won or lost these fights - I enjoy them much better.

Defense and defending oneself requires lots of time and patience! You won't win all the time, but that isn't the goal here! Likewise, being flashy shouldn't be the goal on offense all the time either. Pace yourself! Your offensive and defensive growth will come naturally!

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

So unless i'm against a heavy grappler standard blocking isn't a bad idea? good to know.

You can block against everybody! 99.9% of the time, tick throwing is not used (aka "Punch, punch, Grab"). Again, don't take more damage than necessary regardless of the characters' damage outputs. Most write off Pai for being "weak," but the math regarding Hi-counter damage doesn't change with her (though it is alot less than Bass or Alpha's)

Throwing on the exact frame still nets a +50% damage dealt bonus! This goes for everybody!

Minatao

i hate the combo challenges.. It doesn't give me credit for the one move even though i'm doing it properly.. and i can't figure out why

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD