DOA5U Trying to learn Sarah, but feeling like DOA isn't the game for this.

Cake

What I figure is that DOA is mashy in online play, or at least with high latency. I honestly can't speak from personal experience about offline play because LOLPORTUGAL, but I would imagine it's entirely different.

If you only play online, that might be why you get that feeling.

Dave

All I can say is you just need to learn more. Sarah is undoubtedly one of the best characters in the game, but just because of all the tools she has doesn't mean you can ignore everything your opponent does. Trust me, I used to think like that. She isn't indestructible. I suggest you watch some videos from the media section and look over her threads in the official character page. You really shouldn't be randomly standing in flamingo either, especially up in an opponents face. Most of them will hit you. Who wouldn't? Her pressure doesn't come from flamingo, it comes from her quicker strikes from neutral stance like jab for instance. Almost all of her punches are good for building stuns and pressure.

synce

but the counter system is precisely why the game isnt as mashy as most fighters, people can't just mash combos like they do in other fighters without getting countered, and thats why DOA is hated, I've found. peopleclaim that DOA is just mashing counters, because they can't just mash strings lol.

You can't mash in other fighters though. In say Tekken or VF if you want big damage you have to punish with a launcher or guaranteed setup. You can also punish with a jab or single hit but that's about it. If you try punishing with a random string your first may connect but the last would be blocked and you'd probably get blown up. In DOA that random string will lead into a stun where you try to outguess (NOT outplay) your opponent, hence mashiness. Even at the highest level in US and Japan I see people whiffing counters often. IMO, DOA never be taken seriously until TN fixes that.

Kudja Is Loved

I really hate the fact that you guys have taken such a massive offense to me stating that my current opinion of the game is that its mashy. You guys are defending DOA way too hard, and I understand why and thats okay but i'm not here to try to make anyone feel bad or lesser for playing the game. I'm not even here to try to call the game bad, I was just saying how it felt to me.

I don't really need twelve million people coming just to beat me over the head with the fact that i'm new to the game by saying "If you think its mashy you suck." Sure, i'm perfectly okay with having to deal with the fact that I suck. I've been playing for like 3 weeks. I don't expect NOT to suck, lol. But you guys have taken the original point of my thread, half way answered it and then buried the original point under an ocean of borderline-butthurt. How am I supposed to learn how to beat the issue when the only answers i'm getting is "you suck?" C'mon guys, help me out here.

I came here and asked a question because I know I suck.

Brute

Standard Donor
I never said you sucked. I said that the mentality that DOA is mash-friendly is going to be counter-productive to your progress and development as a player. Thus, it's best to try and get that notion out of your head early on. The longer it feels mashy, the longer you'll want to play it that way (and subconsciously, will play it that way). So what's the best way to stamp out that idea? Well, that's what everyone is trying to poke at, I think. We're trying to present reasons as to why DOA is not mashy in hopes that you acknowledge at least some of those reasons and attempt to apply them to your play.

Usually the people who say DOA is mashy suck at playing it.
I'll let that speak for itself.
^This is a generalized statement, not specifically referring to you. I've never played you, so I don't even know if you suck or not. The purpose of this statement was to acknowledge that playing DOA with the mindset that it is mash-friendly will result in sub-optimal play. Always. Thus, it's best to let go of that idea ASAP.

Does that make sense?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I gave advice! ;_;

Learn your frames, though. DOA gives the frames straight to you if you turn on the move details or whatever it's called. Gotta know the numbers to play someone like Sarah, contrary to what Brute may imply. :v She's very strong, but she's not Gen Fu strong where you can almost ignore the other character.

Brute

Standard Donor
I never said you could be ignorant of frames and still beat knowledgeable players by mashing, even if you are Sarah.

I said that if you do know your frames Sarah become a torrent of bullshit that makes reason curl up in a ball and cry itself all through it's tortured nights.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I haven't played against a good Sarah yet, honestly. All I have to judge with is my own shitty Sarah. Then again, I play Leifang and have parries and half a dozen moves that crush mids consistently and don't really care about slightly negative frames. Someone good with Sarah play against me~! :v

Brute

Standard Donor
I haven't played against a good Sarah yet, honestly. All I have to judge with is my own shitty Sarah. Then again, I play Leifang and have parries and half a dozen moves that crush mids consistently and don't really care about slightly negative frames. Someone good with Sarah play against me~! :v
@AkaShocka

Kudja Is Loved

I'm sitting in training mode right now.
Gonna crack session on Sarah and hopefully get the timechamber effect. Got videos pulled up and everything, on it.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I'm sitting in training mode right now.
Gonna crack session on Sarah and hopefully get the timechamber effect. Got videos pulled up and everything, on it.
I highly recommend looking into your character's frame data. In training, you have the option to enable it. If you need help understanding it, we are more than happy to explain it.

Knowing your character's frame data/properties will help in your decision making when the match starts heating up.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD