Characters Universals

Kohlrak

For the longest time i though (5)P was the only pseudo-universal (move with attributes that are shared that most characters have), but xhuntressx pointed out 3 more of these, which convinced me to hop over to zack (normally use Kokoro) to see if i could find some others, and i came up with the following list. I'm basing this off of the moveset for dimensions, but i have a feeling this is pretty loyal throughout DoA5U as well. If anyone has an corrections (false positive, missed some attributes, or etc) please correct me. Also, if you know of any others, let me know so i can add it to the list. If it proves consistent enough, I think it might be useful for character guides, especially if we can come up with good shorthands (EX: Kokoro mixes well off the jab, but it's unsafe). Hopefully this can help those like me who are having a hard time learning characters.

EDIT: It would seem that certain classes have differences in attributes For example, grapplers have longer startups for equivalent moves.

NOTE: &| is "and/or"

Pseudo-Universals:
P:
1P Escape
2P generic low
3P High-Crush Mid (15 frames)
5P Jab (10 frames)
6P Lead body elbow (11 frames)
8P high crush high stun
9P high stun backhand
66P stun (12 frames)

K:
2K Generic low

P+K:
1P+K &| 4P+K is that chargeable, slow block breaker

H+K:
2H+K Generic sweep (distance matters)
5H+K Stumble stun high kick

### H+P+K: Normal Taunts

T:
66T Standing OH (DOAD and below?)
3T Low OH (DOAD and below?)

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
speaking as a Bayman player

1P Escape(no)
6P Lead body elbow (11 frames) (not an elbow)
9P high stun backhand(sounds like his 4p)
1P+K &| 4P+K is that chargable, slow block breaker(i fucking wish)
5H+K Stumble stun high kick(no)

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
This won't be the same for every character. Not all jabs are 10 frames, and most characters don't have an OH (though they did in DOA4 and DOAD).

To list some examples:

What do you mean by 1P being an "escape"?
Few 3P inputs crush anything.
I can't think of a single 8P input off the top of my head that crushes highs.
9P is a jumping attack for several characters and isn't always a stunning backhand.
2K is a generic low, but there's also K, which is a generic high.

Also, "K+T" is not a normally recognized input. The correct input would be H+P+K, and the generic taunt input is not a raw H+P+K, but rather 464H+P+K.

Kohlrak

This won't be the same for every character. Not all jabs are 10 frames, and most characters don't have an OH (though they did in DOA4 and DOAD).

To list some examples:

What do you mean by 1P being an "escape"?
Few 3P inputs crush anything.
I can't think of a single 8P input off the top of my head that crushes highs.
9P is a jumping attack for several characters and isn't always a stunning backhand.
2K is a generic low, but there's also K, which is a generic high.

I'm starting to think that there is some "classing" to this. I'm noticing that most characters' jabs are 10, but for grappling characters like Leon, Bass, etc, these are slower. I'm probably organizing this the wrong way and it'll probably turn out to be a much larger project, but i think it'll be rewarding in the end.

Although, in DoAD i'm crushing high kicks with Bass and his 3P as well as with a number of other characters. There seems to be a varying amount of delay before the crush actually starts, but i'm seeing the opponents attacks and i'm not getting hit.

Also, "K+T" is not a normally recognized input. The correct input would be H+P+K, and the generic taunt input is not a raw H+P+K, but rather 464H+P+K.

Right, i meant that they are generally all taunts. Numbers weren't specified because 464 is pretty much universal, but i'm seeing alot of 646, 22, and other combinations, but they all share the main attribute of being useless outside of annoying someone. Perhaps i should put ### in front to make that clearer.

Edit: maybe i'm wrong on that crush. I'll find out shortly.

EDIT: Just doing a round robin with initial hits (the question marks are for moves that look like some crouching is being done, but i CBA to check when i'm just doing a prelim), and i'm noticing some interesting effects. Note that i didn't look into strings, but only the initial punch.

1P
Bass: High crush stun low (22)
Bayman: Spin low (22)
Christie: Spin high crush low (19)
Kasumi: high crush? low (16)
Ryu: Spin high crush low (16)

2P
Bass: High crush? low (17)
Bayman: Low (16)
Christie: Low (14)
Kasumi: high crush? low (12)
Ryu: High crush low (14)

3P
Bass: Crush mid (18)
Bayman: Mid (13)
Christie: High crush mid (16)
Kasumi: high crush mid (11) (Wow, a mid at slow jab speed)
Ryu: High crush mid (15)

4P
Bass: Windup mid (17)
Bayman: Spin stun high (16)
Christie: Spin 2BT high (14)
Kasumi: Spin stun high (25)
Ryu: Spin mid (15)

5P
Bass: Jab high (13)
Bayman: Jab high (11)
Christie: Jab high (9)
Kasumi: Jab high (9)
Ryu: Jab high (10)

6P
Bass: Mid (15)
Bayman: Mid (14)
Christie: Mid (11)
Kasumi: High crush? mid (11)
Ryu: Stun mid (13)

7P
Bass: Stun high (22)
Bayman: Stun high (18)
Christie: Sidestep high (17)
Kasumi: Escape
Ryu: Escape

8P
Bass: Stun high (21)
Bayman: stun mid (17)
Christie: Launcher high (22)
Kasumi: Low crush stun mid (20)
Ryu: High crush stun high (14)

9P
Bass: Stun high (17)
Bayman: Jumping Bounce stun mid (28)
Christie: Stun high (14)
Kasumi: Advance
Ryu: Advance

Last edited:

Kohlrak

speaking as a Bayman player

1P Escape(no)

This seems to be mostly for the Ninjas, and a few straglers.

6P Lead body elbow (11 frames) (not an elbow)

Seems to be the same concept, despite not being an Elbow. I was hoping that i could push "lead elbow" into a common name. It would seem that "lead body strike" would be more appropriate.

9P high stun backhand(sounds like his 4p)

His 4P is a rear backhand stun. Some other characters are sharing a rear backhand with this button, but the attacks are having totally different attributes (rear backhand, no stun, leading into back-turned stance).

1P+K &| 4P+K is that chargable, slow block breaker(i fucking wish)

Yeah, i'm noticing alot have it, a few don't.

5H+K Stumble stun high kick(no)[/quote]

So much for that one.

It looks like i'm going to have to tackle this a totally different way.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, in general most of these are true, but the specifics are case by case. Like Leifang's 66P knockbacks on NH, Sarah's 3P is a high punch, etc.

That said, if I were to ask something like, "Does Kokoro have a 1P type move?" I'm pretty sure everyone will understand what I mean and answer no.

Kohlrak

But i don't, and of all the DoA tutorials out there that i've seen, none of them describe what these "type moves" are. You'd have to experiment with the whole cast and figure out the common denominators to figure out what to expect from 1P, 2P, 3P, and all the way up. If a new guy knew what these moves should look like, he can identify, when experimenting with new characters, what moves to try first and what moves are probably strengths or weaknesses of that character. For example, I already noticed that the ninjas have 7P and 9P as escapes, so i know if a new ninja comes out, odds are i can rely on 7P and 9P to be those jumps.

Understanding patterns like this helps one memorize a new character more quickly.

Brute

Standard Donor
Understanding patterns like this helps one memorize a new character more quickly.
But there aren't really patterns. You can say "in general, this input will do something like this _____" but the exceptions are generally numerous and random, as in there's no pattern that dictates when exceptions occur.

Kohlrak

But there aren't really patterns. You can say "in general, this input will do something like this _____" but the exceptions are generally numerous and random, as in there's no pattern that dictates when exceptions occur.

True, but if you know 3 characters, and if you're learning a 4th and you go through the move list and you're seeing the moves that are similar to 2, you don't bother working too much with them, while the unusual ones are the ones that'll give you trouble in regards to when to and when not to use them.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think you're confusing 9P (:9::P:) with 7P (:7::P:).

Bass' 3P isn't a crush.
His 1P is. His 2P is.
His 6P is the typical mid punch but isn't an elbow.
His 7P is a chop.
His 8P is an overhead ground slam
His 9P is a forward high elbow

His 2K is a low but doesn't crush
His 1K is a low but doesn't crush
His K hits high
His 7K hits mid, doesn't crush, and is a launcher
His 8K hits high, doesn't crush, and is a launcher
His 9K hits high, and causes a knockdown
His 6K is his fastest mid, doesn't crush.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD