Media Virtua Fighter vs. Dead or Alive (trailer included)

Star Outlaw

What a crossover game between DOA and VF would be like. DOA and VF share similar controls and there's already VF guest characters. Street Fighter and Tekken somehow managed a crossover despite even greater differences, so I think this could work.

The biggest hurdles would be whether or not to implement DOA's counter system and how stages would work. Ringouts haven't been a part of DOA since the first game. I do think I'd prefer DOA style stages though.

Star Outlaw

If it means I'd get the dream team of Ein & Jean Kujo AKA Team TORIYAH!! I'd be down.
Another thing is how many characters to include for each side. There's only 20 VFighters, so including more DOA fighters means possibly having to add characters from Fighting Vipers. Or Siba. Then it'd be Fighters Megamix 2.

But Ein would make a good rival to Jean.

Argentus

What a crossover game between DOA and VF would be like. DOA and VF share similar controls and there's already VF guest characters. Street Fighter and Tekken somehow managed a crossover despite even greater differences, so I think this could work.

The biggest hurdles would be whether or not to implement DOA's counter system and how stages would work. Ringouts haven't been a part of DOA since the first game. I do think I'd prefer DOA style stages though.

Issue here.

SFxTekken turned out to be a total joke due to the sheer differences in mechanics, and should never be used as a crossover example.

Secondly, doa5 wasn't a good showing of incorporating vf into DOA. Akira and Pai can be irritating, while the Bryant's are downright infuriating. The mechanics may be similar, but they move to a completely different rhythm than DOA, with general movements and motions being closer to tekken.

That said, I would still rather see Dead Or Alive x King of Fighters, if only to be a better counterpoint to sfxt :) plus I can think up direct parallels for almost all the characters (Leon/Clark, Blue Mary/Tina, Vanessa/Mila, Bear/Bass, Joe/Zack, Kasumi/Mai, Hitomi/Yuri, Hayate/Andy, etc)

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Issue here.

SFxTekken turned out to be a total joke due to the sheer differences in mechanics, and should never be used as a crossover example.

Secondly, doa5 wasn't a good showing of incorporating vf into DOA. Akira and Pai can be irritating, while the Bryant's are downright infuriating. The mechanics may be similar, but they move to a completely different rhythm than DOA, with general movements and motions being closer to tekken.

That said, I would still rather see Dead Or Alive x King of Fighters, if only to be a better counterpoint to sfxt :) plus I can think up direct parallels for almost all the characters (Leon/Clark, Blue Mary/Tina, Vanessa/Mila, Bear/Bass, Joe/Zack, Kasumi/Mai, Hitomi/Yuri, Hayate/Andy, etc)
With due respect, what you're suggesting is every bit as mismatched in gameplay as SFxTekken.

No matter how you dress it up, you're still meshing a 2D and a 3D fighter. Worse, you're meshing a 2D and 3D fighter with very dissimilar button schemes and mechanics (yes, that includes even KOF Maximum Impact), leaving the only parallels as something that is better translated to a comic book or web series as opposed to a videogame. DOA characters wouldn't play like DOA characters, and the latter wouldn't play like KOF characters at all. As fun as it would be to see certain characters interact, the game would still be a hot mess.

That being said, I'm still not following on how incorporating VF into DOA is such a bad thing apart from your unwillingness to adapt to the matchups against them, when so many others are trying without so much as cursing them to the frozen winds of hell's ninth circle...

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
SFxT was a really fun game which is what a fighting game crossover should aspire to be. The biggest issue I have with VF is that it's such Serious Business that I don't find it fun to play. I have that same weird respect for the game that most of the FGC does but it really isn't all that appealing to me. I wouldn't want to see a crossover game unless they went nuts with the VF cast and let them do the crazy shit they showed in that spoof trailer for the last release.

Star Outlaw

SFxT was a really fun game which is what a fighting game crossover should aspire to be. The biggest issue I have with VF is that it's such Serious Business that I don't find it fun to play. I have that same weird respect for the game that most of the FGC does but it really isn't all that appealing to me. I wouldn't want to see a crossover game unless they went nuts with the VF cast and let them do the crazy shit they showed in that spoof trailer for the last release.
Well there is Fighters Megamix, so it's not like the VF characters haven't been in a similar crossover before. And if it is just a fun crossover I don't see why AM2 wouldn't allow a looser system like DOA's.

On the subject on how the characters would mesh, I could argue that even in DOA each character feels different, or at least I think that's how it should be in any fighting game. I think the biggest difference between how the VF and DOA fighters animate is that VF animations cut out a lot of excess movement animations. To some this may look stiffer, but I think it's more realistic and makes the moves feel more powerful. For instance, comparing Jann Lee and Jacky's Jeet Kun Do, I feel that Jann's movements are just a bit cartoony, especially one of his spinning kicks where it looks like he's twisting his waist around in a rather unnatural way. But the VF fighters that were included in DOA5 had very little changed about them, which to me means they did transition well, as opposed to SFxT where all the Tekken fighters had to be altered heavily to fit a 2D playstyle.

I did make the trailer partly to show the parallels between the series. Not every fighter has an exact rival (there's no sumo in DOA) but at least each side has about 20. 40 does seem like a high number, but other fighting games have also had very large rosters, so it's not impossible. Though if it is a 3D fighter, that might be pushing it.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I did make the trailer partly to show the parallels between the series. Not every fighter has an exact rival (there's no sumo in DOA) but at least each side has about 20. 40 does seem like a high number, but other fighting games have also had very large rosters, so it's not impossible. Though if it is a 3D fighter, that might be pushing it.
DOA5 vanilla had about twenty characters and VF5FS has nineteen (twenty if you include Dural). It could work out evenly if they only use the characters that were in DOA5 Vanilla, although having forty characters does seem a bit much.

Last edited:

Aven Kujo-Gin

I rather had prefered Goh, Jean or Lau(my VF characters) as guests in DOA5. But the idea of a crossover is not bad at all, if they do it right.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The biggest questions is where to begin and what type of fighting mechanic will it go for. A mixture of both? A brand new mechanic strictly for the cross-over game? it might require a huge amount of talks, tests, and balance all together. Who can stay in the roster..or who gets cut.

I think Eliot would stay. Characters that probably won't stay might be ones that won't exactly be needed(?) Phase 4, Hayate(?). I wouldn't mind trying the game out...But in terms of balance, new stages, content provided It might be difficult....then again, I don't work for them and perhaps it can be easy for them? Dunno. Although, you don't want a game that's being rushed either.

Argentus

Well there is Fighters Megamix, so it's not like the VF characters haven't been in a similar crossover before. And if it is just a fun crossover I don't see why AM2 wouldn't allow a looser system like DOA's.

On the subject on how the characters would mesh, I could argue that even in DOA each character feels different, or at least I think that's how it should be in any fighting game. I think the biggest difference between how the VF and DOA fighters animate is that VF animations cut out a lot of excess movement animations. To some this may look stiffer, but I think it's more realistic and makes the moves feel more powerful. For instance, comparing Jann Lee and Jacky's Jeet Kun Do, I feel that Jann's movements are just a bit cartoony, especially one of his spinning kicks where it looks like he's twisting his waist around in a rather unnatural way. But the VF fighters that were included in DOA5 had very little changed about them, which to me means they did transition well, as opposed to SFxT where all the Tekken fighters had to be altered heavily to fit a 2D playstyle.

Other way around for me. I feel like the VFs are the ones with the more cartoony movements. They move TOO quick and sudden, like there's no weight thrown, no momentum or recoil (Windup, etc) to their moves. It looks unnatural. Seeing a VF move next to a DOA character moving is as jarring as seeing Roger Rabbit move next to bob hoskins, for me. Those "Excess" animations are what make it more realistic for me, all the little details, the way the full body will twist when you throw a kick, rather than just the leg popping out.

With the sole exceptions of their throw animations. THOSE look amazing, but they are so good they look awkward when VFs go back to their stiff normal movements.

Also hell yes we have sumo lol

latest

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
A mixture of both? A brand new mechanic strictly for the cross-over game? it might require a huge amount of talks, tests, and balance all together. Who can stay in the roster..or who gets cut.
My last comment mentioned that the entire roster in DOA5 Vanilla can be in, because that way they'll be even w/ the cast in VF5FS. Adding the ones from DOA5U and Last Round wouldn't be a good idea, considering that will mean DOA has more numbers, and 40+ is too much.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
My last comment mentioned that the entire roster in DOA5 Vanilla can be in, because that way they'll be even w/ the cast in VF5FS. Adding the ones from DOA5U and Last Round wouldn't be a good idea, considering that will mean DOA has more numbers, and 40+ is too much.

I'm fine with that. 40+ is indeed too much. The predicting problem is whether the game will get rushed or not if they decide to make it. The thing with cross-over games is that people get hype to have 2 series mash up together and constantly sending feeds to the company to hurry up and make the game. It gets me hype too, but the hype can slowly die after the first few weeks of a game release to find out that the game was rushed and didn't hit well in the balance department. They should definitely take their time to make the game so that it doesn't flop.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The only way I could see a DOA and VF crossover happening is if the game was a different genre all together. Sorry, but mechanics in DOA and VF are too different to mesh together. The guest VF characters are further proof at how VF and DOA don't mesh well, despite having similar control schemes. If anything, I'd rather Team Ninja and Sega focus on DOA6 and VF6 respectively.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The layers are the same. The issue is how the game will be based upon. DOA style or VF style. But since there are 2 sides where the other side of the community likes the other, the only way they can make a cross over game is if they make a whole new mechanic. Since they are both a "3D fighting game" It is possible.

The guest characters were converted into DOA style, they weren't copy and pasted into the game so how exactly is it further proof they don't mesh well. If they were copy and pasted exactly from VF I can believe that, but it's not.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I don't think a crossover would be profitable. If the VF characters being in DOA5 didn't help to garner interest in VF5FS, then I doubt a crossover will have any impact on either series at this time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD