What got you interested in dead or alive in the beginning

P2p1mbs

I see a lot of people (myself included) got into the series at #3. Makes me wonder if the reason that 3 is considered the best game in the series because it really did have the best gameplay or because it tends to be the first game in the series most people have played.

I personally go with both; I have a lot of fond memories of when I first got into 3 and it was the entry that was good for its time and still holds up really well now (5, however may just overtake it soon for me though).

UpSideDownGRUNT

I found DOA on a demo disc for the PS1 in 1998, then a demo and a friend in the 2000s, though it wasn't really until 2006/2007 until I got my own copy of DOAU and played the crap out of DOA2U.

I actually didn't even play DOA3 until a month before DOA5 came out haha

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Dreamcast bundle that included Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, and Shenmue. Within that bundle also included a demo disc of various games and DOA2 was one of them. Ryu Hayabusa and Leon got me hooked, especially during my youth playing with a cousin at the time where just doing a hold somehow felt like you was a god temporarily. Once I saw an Izuna drop and knocking people out of zones and breaking through church windows into a new area, I was hooked.

benderlax

I played Dimensions once, but I only got through the first chapter. However, I did not get into the series until I played DOA5 Ultimate.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I see a lot of people (myself included) got into the series at #3. Makes me wonder if the reason that 3 is considered the best game in the series because it really did have the best gameplay or because it tends to be the first game in the series most people have played.

I personally go with both; I have a lot of fond memories of when I first got into 3 and it was the entry that was good for its time and still holds up really well now (5, however may just overtake it soon for me though).
I liked 3 because it was a lot more fast paced than DOA2 but not as clunky as that DOA4 mess.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I actually felt the opposite when I played it. But then again I played 3 on 360 where there's random slowdown
Yeah, that slowdown is what keeps me from playing it on the 360 emulator, so I spend more time playing DOA1 or DOA2U. There's also a creepy glitch where in DOATEC HK when you drop to the secret lab below the stage where Kasumi's clones are confined and if you reset the position in practice mode, one of the clone models can be seen floating several feet away in the building from where you start. I thought that was intentional...0_o

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The frame rate also drops on my console during the falls and danger zone collisions in DOATEC HK too. It's a real shame

P2p1mbs

3.0, but it may just be the emulator that I bought for my 360.

aren't those preinstalled in the 360? I use the 360 elite and never had to get any emulator to play 3.1, I just got the game (used) and was good to go. I have had some minor sound problems where there was a delay in the announcer voice after a win but never have significant framerate problems in either 3 or ultimate.

Still, any issues with emulation doesn't make me like 3 less over 4, I never had problems in performance with 4 but I really don't think it holds up that well in comparison (in EVERY way possible).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
aren't those preinstalled in the 360? I use the 360 elite and never had to get any emulator to play 3.1, I just got the game (used) and was good to go. I have had some minor sound problems where there was a delay in the announcer voice after a win but never have significant framerate problems in either 3 or ultimate.

Still, any issues with emulation doesn't make me like 3 less over 4, I never had problems in performance with 4 but I really don't think it holds up that well in comparison (in EVERY way possible).
Yeah, the game is still pretty good, and the system was very well done. Oh and in case you wanted to know, I have a black refurbished 360, so I had to get the hard drive that came with an emulator file to go with it.

P2p1mbs

I'm in UK so I have 3.2

I guess that's another point to 3.1 being the best version of the game that it emulates well on 360 then...

Back on topic: did anyone here get into the series with 4? I got 4 (used copy) AFTER I played 5 and between the unfair AI and overall gameplay changes, I really don't like going back to that game even though I do so anyways...

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
My uncle introduced it to me via 2 Hardcore during a family vacation in 2002. Been my go to fighting series since. Missed out on 3, 2U, and 4 until about my early college days when I bought a copy of 4 to play on a friend's 360, played DOA1 on PS1 several years ago at the same Uncle's house at a family gathering, and just last year I got to play 3. Bought a 3DS and Dimensions when I learned DOA was on it. Saw the reveal trailer for DOA5 and two weeks later I had myself a PS3, just had to wait a good while for the game to be launched. Got a vita for DOA5+. When I learned 5LR was coming to PS4/XB1 (quite a bit earlier than the announcement trailer) I had myself a PS4 two weeks after that. Two game series will drive me to get new consoles and handhelds, DOA and Final Fantasy, not joking about that.

synce

maxim_ada.jpg

mizking

i knew the existence of DOA as a kid but was never really into it until about 2004/2005. It was all about Tekken for me (Tekken tag and 5 at least) i made fun of the game because there was bewbz but after playing 2 ultimate and then 4, i started to really like the series.

gamemaster14

I honestly never noticed these issues with 3, which version did you play? 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2?
The only slowdown problem I recall in doa3 is the danger zone explosions, especially when you defeat your opponent by knocking them into the danger zone. It always seams to slow down a bit there.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD