What was your first Dead or Alive game and what did you initially think of the series?

Kimchi

My first game was Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore for the PS2. I played that game and only that game for months straight when I bought it. I don't remember exactly what made me buy it....maybe just because it was a fighting game and was obsessed with fighting games. I loved the graphics, fighting styles, music and girls...and the boobs/panties haha. I thought it was awesome to have game so focused on females. Leifang and Ayane were my mains back then and I feel like I was much better at the game than I am now, probably because that and school was all I did lol.

synce

I don't remember exactly what made me buy it

This may have had something to do with it (it did for me anyway)

maxim_ad.jpg

gamemaster14

Its funny to hear Itagaki claiming that doa5 ruined his daughter when even early in the series they were exploiting the sex appeal to sell games. To think, those weren't even costumes in doa2 just cheesy promotional renders.

Soaring Zero

My first doa game was DOA3. Wasn't really into it at first mainly because I sucked really hard at it. Of course this is before I was really into fighters. Then I ended up picking Kasumi and won for the first time and I've been a fighter ever since. I also continue to main female characters exclusively.

Star Outlaw

DOA3 was my first, though I did play a demo of DOA2 on my Dreamcast. My first impression was that the gameplay was really fast and required you to have really quick reactions if you wanted to do counters. I liked the counter system in theory, but I had a very hard time pulling it off in practice. I ws like 12 though anyway, and just getting into fighting games.

Gameplay aside though, I felt like the presentation of characters and the story felt kind of off, and in a way I still do. It's always been something that's bugged me about 2-4, the way that some of the story cutscenes are done. I don't mean the pre-rendered cinematics, but scenes between fights in story mode. Just something off about the dialogue and how the characters act seems really flat to me. I thought the character designs were kind of flat too, like they were Barbie dolls made of plastic. The costumes were cool, but the people wearing them just felt like mannequins. I think only hearing them speak in Japanese didn't help, and that sometimes does create a barrier between audience and character. The stages and music were fine though.

I think this is why I liked Brad so much in 3, his drunken master persona stood out to me without being too alienating in a way I felt that Zack was. Wish they hadn't turned Brad into such a perv in 4 and Dimensions.

Perfidious Sinn

Dead or Alive 5 was actually my first. I didn't pick it up for any specific reason, just did it because I like to try literally every fighting game I can get my hands on.

When first playing, I loved how beginner friendly it was. I could beat up on the AI just by playing instinctually and not have to study the game too much. This is a huge difference from other games where combos and movement feel awkward to me; DOA5 just clicked immediately.

I honestly don't remember what character I played or sinking too much time into it though. When Ultimate came out, I tried Rachel and instantly knew that would be my main character. I got deeper into the studying the game and learning combos instead of just playing by feel, and now I'm kinda hooked. Once I get a PS4, Last Round will probably be my first purchase.

Hoarseplay

I pretty much got into the series by sheer luck. I can't even remember how I got it, but at some point, I owned the Platinum Hits version of DOA3. I had no prior knowledge of the series, and since it's only competition were KOF: Maximum Impact Maniax and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, DOA3 won out by being the best 3D fighter I owned at the time.

I didn't have anyone to play with, so most of my time was spent on Tag Survival. I really liked how PAINFUL every attack looked and the idea of a universal counter move in a 3D game was neat. I think I was sold the moment I slammed into an electric wall in the X Octagon and the lights blacked out.

At some point, I snagged DOA Ultimate and fell completely in love. I don't need to sing its praises but I would routinely delete my save data of DOA2U just so I could unlock it all again. I couldn't stop playing for a long time.

My memory's been pretty shit lately, but I think DOA4 was the first game I got for my 360. I still play it every now and again.

I waited until DOA5 Ultimate to buy it, not because I didn't want to sooner, but since the fighting game resurrection, I haven't had the funds to purchase every fighting game I come across.

As a whole, I don't play DOA very often because I kinda burned myself out back when I would marathon DOA2U, but I always have a blast when I do decide to play it.

Rubbish Radish

The first Dead or Alive game I played was Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore. I wanted to give the series a try after seeing some gameplay on that Cinematech or whatever it was called on G4 (back in the days before the channel rotted away). It seemed fun to a little 14 year old me with the multi-tiered levels and the cute girls. When I played it, I actually thought it was pretty easy to get the hang of compared to some other fighting games I played at the time. I didn't really get into fighters until I played Dead or Alive.

I got around to playing an incarnation of the first game with Dead or Alive Ultimate. I thought it was okay, much better and easier to get into than the original Tekken (never played Tekken 2 or 3). Really liked the first games soundtrack.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
DOA3 is a gem of gaming.
-This is the truth. My first encounter with the Doa series was with DOA1! I thought it was nice, however, VF2 felt more polished at the time, and I stood with that. However...VF3 to DOA2 was a total shock. I never went back fully to VF ever since than. The DOA series gave me everything I ever needed from VF, While giving me the Fighting Vipers action I adored. Shit if they put Honey/Candy in DOA next I will explode!!!!

-Deep down I always knew Doa was a great series and innately knew it was one of the deepest 3D fighters created. Once players put aside what other fighters did, done and/or are doing, they will see that except for Doa specific required alterations. Doa do not need what the others are doing, but continue to balance and refine what is already there!!!

d3v

Bought DOA 1 on PS1 just because it was the nineties and anyone worth his salt bought and played every fighting game they could get their hands on. That said, my enjoyment of the series really started with 2 (and 2 Harcore) on the PS2. Sadly, bowed out of playing it due to 3 and 4 being XBox exclusive.

Kasumi-Phase-X

Pretty much similar to other people on how they were into fighting games, I was really into fighting games to a point where if there was a fighting game I would rent it or even want the game (when I was young). Part of My introduction to DOA was magazines from middle school & saw advertisements like DOA2U, DOA4, & DOAX2 (which at the time I wasn't completely allowed to see or play M rated games, which DOA1-3 was T rated which in a way works out for Me considering part of My young age), I did have bit of an interest for the females but what would make Me want to play it was the game footage from DOA4 & DOA2/Ultimate Intro which involved showing part of the gameplay.
The day I finally been able to try out DOA was actually DOA2 Hardcore for the PS2 which was at Movie Magic (which was later closed down), was very excited to play DOA. (also the game I rented also had paper in the case on unlockables, which I've been trying to unlock the costumes & even the CG Gallery, which I have a copy of) I really loved Kasumi's voice when Sakura Tange was the actress, it just sounded so cute.

DOA1 for PS1 & DOA2 Hardcore for PS2 were the only ones I can play (since I didn't have Xbox or Xbox 360 at the time, in order to play the other games). I have paid around 80 dollars of a brand new sealed DOA1 game, which when I was at My dads for weeks (since My mother & stepdad went to China) I played the living daylights out of DOA1 getting all the 14 female outfits (plus playing as other characters 14 times just for fun despite they have 5 costumes, plus Raidou only had 3 costumes. PS. JPN/US only had 3 costumes while EURO had 5 costumes for Raidou which was also in DOA++), unlocking Extra Options from changing part of the stages, voice announcer like Kasumi & Ayane, even changing opponents.
I really loved part of the DOA1 music, which I wanted it in DOA5U since it added DOA3 & DOA2, which plain sucks that DOA1 & DOA++ music were never added. However DOA5LR did added DOA1 music thanks to a comment I sawed at Eventhubs said something about DOA1 music. Try finding part of PSN Store since I have the Core Fighters version for certain reasons, wasn't there. Played bit of Arcade unlock few music started with WO3U, but later got DOA1 which I was happy. (So far I don't know if they have DOA++) I also liked how the models looked at the time (despite My dad said something like "These graphics look terrible, Tomb Raider looks better" which honestly part of models look more smooth & wasn't more polygon which part of Tomb Raider My dad owns, granted this was part of the PS1 era they had their own styles of 3D)
What I think really sucks, after watching full playthrough & gamemaster14 DOA videos which was only in the Arcades, but not consoles was endings. Like once I defeated Raidou on console, there is no endings of any source (not even plain text what the arcades had).

What I enjoy part of DOA as a whole was the gameplay, characters, costumes (including panties), music, cutscenes, character tutorials, & extra options from voice announcer & breast options. I even enjoy playing the spinoff titles which is the Xtreme Beach VolleyBall games.

When it comes to passion & interest for entering fighting game tournaments, despite I do also enjoy SF, MK, KOF, VF, Tekken, SSB etc. DOA is currently the game I really care for the most. Despite if others have different opinions about DOA (mostly the whole not taking it seriously excuse), Itagaki's claim that his creation is ruined, & that Kotaku article about the whole "its more than breast" I wouldn't want DOA to change part of their image just to be taken serious by the ones that weren't into part of the fan service (more likely has never played any of the games, or even played them from beginning all the way to the end) or having to be modest just to appear in tournaments which isn't the case.

Hey, I'll be going to EVO and will try to get to the DOA5LR side tournament. (plus also entering a Tekken 7 tournament)

Xhominid The Demon Within

DOA2 Demo for the Dreamcast. I saw it over my friends house and to say I was enthralled was an understatement. Due to me using Mai Shiranui in Fatal Fury Special, seeing Kasumi back then didn't really sway my opinions all that much compared to how the battles went. Playing at the Waterfall Temple was just...gorgeous. Seeing characters get knocked off tiers was just awesome.

And when my brother got it for the PS2, my mind was completely made up and I was a fan since.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
(NOTE: For the R-Rated version, send a PM)

My first DOA game was the original Model 2 arcade game. Played it at a 2-story arcade building called Boomer's located in Florida, and it was being displayed on a rather large screen. Many of the other games I wanted to play were occupied, and I wasn't eager to play my sister in Sonic the Fighters.

My initial reaction to this was that it was something of a Virtua Fighter clone, but not as over-the-top as Fighting Vipers. The game felt just right to me on terms of accessibility. Ironically, I did not play the females in the game at the start, but played Gen Fu. I was most intrigued at the idea of a Danger Zone and the idea of everyone having the use of holds like Pai Chan from VF at the time.

Along with Vampire Savior, I had more than enough motivation to go on my first big investment on an import console. Since then, DOA has been high on my radar.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I first saw DOA3 during my first few months in Germany in a video store. The way the characters fought looked spectacular. I thought Ryu, Jann and Bass were badasses and I also thought that Helena, Lei Fang and Kasumi looked very pretty. I also liked the tag system a lot.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I randomly came across DOA1 when I was younger. In my house, Tekken and Soul Blade (which turned into the Soulcalibur series) reigned supreme. My cousin had a copy of DOA1 for the PS1 and let me borrow it. I knew nothing about the game and it was definitely different from both Tekken and Soul Blade. But I really enjoyed it because it was easier to pick up and the Danger Zone mechanic looked funny to me. However, what I really became obsessed with was unlocking the various costumes for characters, because if you knew early 3D fighters, most characters only had 2 costumes for P1 and P2. DOA1 was the first game where characters had more than 2 costumes, something that I really enjoyed. Overall, I just saw DOA1 as a fun, fast, 3D fighting game. Then I played DOA2H on the PS2 and was so impressed with how far the game has gone in terms of graphics and mechanics.

Darkton93

My dad worked for Microsoft while I was a kid, so we got our hands on a lot of Xbox stuff. I believe Dead or Alive was the first fighting game I ever played. The specific entry was DOA3.0, so I got a good start. I had a really hard time beating Genra, and I didn't even know how to do holds. I mostly continued due to brand loyalty.

Also...

As with Saber, I also have my share of issues with it, mainly in the online department (short of my getting a "gamer friendly" job in the future, I seriously doubt I'll do the offline scene) & TN/KT going the Cashcom
Cashcom
CASHCOM
You lose.

Darth Lotonic X

I rented DOA3 because tits, and didn't really play it. I ended up getting DOA2U at launch because tits. Didn't really start playing until all my Rainbow Six friends moved to Halo 2, though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD