What was your first Dead or Alive game and what did you initially think of the series?

Lulu

My first game in the series was DoA 2 I believe. I was always more of a Tekken, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur guy. But I thought I give this series a try as well.

What I really liked was the impact of the punches and kicks in this game. It felt more powerful and at the same time more realistic than in Tekken for example.

I liked it quite a lot, although I was not a fan of the doll look of the ladies. That's why I prefered Soul Calibur and Tekken most of the time. But I took a long break from Fighting Games anyway, as soon as I got a good gaming PC.

I came back to this genre with Super Street Fighter 4. Also played the newest titles from Tekken, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

Then I saw Dead or Alive 5, but everyone was telling me "well it's a joke fighter, it's only about boobs and ass". So I stayed away from it.

But when DoA 5 LR came out, I finally wanted to try this series again, because the ladies in DoA 5 no more look like dolls, Team Ninja did a damn good job with them this time imo.
And then I was really surprised, not only by the looks of this game, the deep counter & hold system is really cool and I'm glad I bought this game. I already played it more than MK9, TTT2 and SC5. Even though I'm an Ivy fanboy, but well, DoA has some Ivy's too :D (Rachel, Christie).

I think most people judge too fast. They see the fan service TN is providing and they think this game is all about showing skin only.

Yeah that happens..... its a shame really.... all they have to do is just try it.... right now it's a big leap for people believe that this game is actually deep, especially given what I heard about all its predecessors. But its good and its worth it.....

And I'm gonna tell Everybody !!! ;)

Derock

For me, I first heard of the series in gaming magazines when 1 came out. While it showed the Saturn version, I didn't get a chance to get the PSX version at the time, as I was focusing on anything that was Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter. As I said before in other threads, DOA2 was my first game after trying out the demo on the Dreamcast Magazine disc. That game blew me away with the graphics, music and gameplay. My thoughts, well, I already had seen real and fictional explicit stuff (another story, kids ;) ), so I really didn't care about the sexualization of the female cast and back then, it was tamed. Although Kasumi did had nude scenes but it was censored (don't know what was going on with Itagaki who thought it was a good idea and he had the audacity to said he view her as "his daughter?"). The gameplay itself is a simplified and fast paced VF, same button schemes but with the holds aka the reversals as a universal mechanic for all the fighters.

I really do not understand, even to this day, why everyone in the FGC bashes DOA because of the sexuality fanservice (when other games does it subtly) or felt that its "bland" when its obviously isn't. Yet they praised VF... despite that series wasn't getting the exposure needed like it did when VF2 came out because the series later became too "complicated and/or complex" ?!

euphoria

My first DOA game was the original for PlayStation. I have no idea how I had stumbled upon it. Maybe Blockbuster? (Yeah, I’m old. :oops:) I had only played Tekken before, and I loved that series. Once I played DOA, I instantly loved it way more. It was tough but fun, the music was great, and the characters were amazing.

My opinion has never wavered. I’ve gotten every single DOA game upon release (including the DOAX titles), and it’s still my favorite game series period.

PhoenixVFIRE

Dead or Alive 3 was my first DOA. I remember being at a CompUSA and they had an Xbox with games on it to play. Me and my cousin started playing the demo of DOA3, and I fell in love immediately. I thought the graphics were amazing, button layout and fluid combos were awesome, the stages, everything about this game enthralled me. Ofc, I also was in love with Kasumi... but really, the whole game was just unlike any other fighter I had ever tried to play.

Next thing you knew, I got an Xbox and Dead or Alive 3 for Christmas(? maybe it was a million years ago). Literally only played on Xbox for Dead or Alive and nothing else. Eventually ofc I got other games but DOA was my #1 outside of MMORPGs.

Ninoasker

Dimensions was my first game. Back when the 3DS was released, I remember the trailer looking amazing and giving me Tekken vibes (Tekken was the only fighting game I played at that time), and it was also the time I was getting involved with Japanese culture, so seeing "cool ninjas kickin' each other's butt" was cool for a little 13 year old boy like me lol.

Then I actually got involved with the franchise and it became my favorite fighting game franchise. Not only because of the fighting games, but also because of how beautiful/handsome the characters were and how interesting some of their stories were. It hooked me up instantly, especially after meeting Bayman (my main love in the franchise!). I also learned about DOAX, and I remember being sad because I wanted to play it so hard since it looked like a cute game, but I had no X360.

Since then, I've played every game released (including every DOA5 version except for the original one since when it came out I didn't have a PS3 yet so I had to wait for the Vita version). For the DOAX branch, I've only played Paradise, 3 and VV.

Leifasumi

Dead or Alive 1 was my 1st DOA game. I remember getting it when I was 8 years old. Kasumi, Leifang and Hayabusa were my favourites by far (Still are). I remember seeing Ayane in the opening but never knew how to unlock her :(

I got DOA2 for my PS2 and loved it. I bought the original xbox specifically for DOA3 (The blue one but never knew about DOAU at the time lol), after I found out about DOA Ultimate I bought it and it's honestly my favourite DOA game up to this day.

Then DOA4 came and I got it as soon as it got released but I didn't own an Xbox 360 so I used my friend's, I eventually got my own but didn't play it for too long for some reasons nor did I enjoy it. (Probably hated how slutty the ending were or something like that)

Then I bought a 3DS and 2 copies of DOAD (Loved it).

One of my friends always made fun of DOA and how it's about T&A but when DOA 5 was announced I remember being in my class and I got a text from him telling me it got announced! I didn't believe him at first since the last numbered DOA game was released long time ago and thought he was messing with me but then I saw the trailer and I was over the moon! I couldn't focus for the rest of the day and couldn't wait to go back home to see the trailer 10 times more.

Cadaveri

First time I saw a DOA was on some demo disk back on PS1. I got into DOA properly on DOA2 though.

You could say attractive/interesting characters got me sucked into DOA & gameplay kept me going all these years ^^

XxNoriakixX

I had a demo of DoA1 before I went to the next game store. They had refused to sell it to me because I was 9 or so lol

Danihimuro

My first DOA game was DOA2H for ps2.
I remember that I loved the big stages, the characters, mainly Leifang.
So I stayed a long time off the series after this, when I watched the movie, I was like "Hey, I already played this". So I researched the game in the internet and came back to the series that was already in the fourth game on Xbox360 if I'm not mistaken.
Ps: I've always been a casual player

JJdude

For it me was Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. A friend of mine had a Xbox with the game. I don't remember if he unlocked the other swimsuits, but we mostly played the volleyball segments. Then we played DOA3 after that and thought it was pretty fun. I don't own a xbox of any kind to these day so the first DOA I owned was DOA5 Ultimate.

Jackie Chan Fan

Dead or Alive on PlayStation.

I first heard about the series when I saw this easter egg for Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast. Insert the GD-ROM on a PC and there are wallpapers of the girls in bikinis. I still have a neutral view of the series then. But I don't have a Dreamcast.

When I first played the game on PS1, I immediately noticed the bouncing breasts, exaggerated bouncing, and had the impression that this is a silly series. Playing through arcade mode, I found that the holds are too strong. I'm always countered by Raidou.

It's in DOA2 when I first appreciated the series, as a fighting game, a beautiful fighting game. The character models are good-looking.

LethalKasumi

DOAU. It was one of my first games, like the one I properly remember. It was a different experience cause I don't think I ever played fighting games. Not to mention that I was a lil kid lol.

Pn33milan

I began my interest in fighting games in 2010, when i bought for my ps2 KOF maximum impact 2.
Nowadays, it's not that great, but it still gave me the interest to look for other games in the genre.
Then i heard about DOA2, which looked great, but was already pretty hard to find.

So, my first DOA game was DOA5 and i loved it. I was very hyped since they announced it, because it was the only 3d fighter main series i was yet to play.
The game was very fun and i also found a large group of people to play with. Some of these gave me some basic tips to try and learn the game competitively.
I am not a huge competitor, but i am glad DOA5 and these friends helped me understand fighting games mechanics more than i used to.

While i do love other series as well, like soul calibur and tekken, by now DOA5 is the game i still find better to play

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD