Whats the best DOA game from a competitive standpoint?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
DOA3 better than DOA5? I thought that the general opinion was that DOA5 is the most polished game.

I don't think me means it literally in that context (? could be wrong), he means that DOA3 doesn't have the issues of present of modern DOA problems so you don't deal with it in DOA3.

DOA5 is a really good game, but he's not wrong that it also certainly has it's flaws.

- Pretty heavy on the stun game
- Neutral step movement is pretty average (just like DOA6)
- Free step movement is pretty average (just like DOA6)

But most of the positives outweight the negatives for DOA5 and it most likely has the greatest roster DOA has ever achieved so far. If anything, I don't think there exist a DOA game with the highest polish. Just about every single one of them has flaws and issues. Some more obvious than others.

There are DOA5 and DOA6 tutorials on YT. Which one is better? I know that DOA6 is the latest game, just asking?

Either one (imo). If it's the basic fundamental type of guides, what you learn in DOA5 or DOA6 can apply to the other, you just have extra new layers to learn (DOA6 for meter with new mechanics based around it, DOA5 without the meter with different mechanics without it)

Since DOA5 is a older game, social media was still rising for it so it could vary. Have to get capture cards and whatnot, some stuff was written more than on actual videos. DOA6 guides were more updated with modern times.

Last edited:
I see, I thought that DOA5 was best iteration considering the overall reception of the game by the competitive scene. Btw how hard is it to get into the game and learn the fundamentals and ins and outs of the game? Is it harder than let's say Tekken? And there are seem to be alot of guides out there, so it's hard to pick one.

Last edited:

inochinagi

Standard Donor
I see, I thought that DOA5 was best iteration considering the overall reception of the game by the competitive scene.

You were asking what the >best< was. DOA5 is considered really good, probably second to DOA3 in terms of competitive gameplay. That's why the competitive scene reception was so good for it.

But the very best is always touted as DOA3. DOA3++ I guess it the best version of it now. But even before ++ existed, the Japanese release of 3.1 was specifically considered the best.

I don't think 5 (nor 6 for that matter) is beginner friendly. The skill floor is intermediate IMO.

My suggestion (take with pinch of salt but this is what I would have told myself as a newcomer):

Pick one character and stay with that character until you get the game fundamentals and advanced techniques under your belt. I think it's counter-intuitive to keep switching characters because not only are you still trying to learn the game mechanics but now you have to learn how your new character works/moves on top of that.

The in-game tutorials are decent. I'd recommend doing them. This video playlist is also a good starting point as well:

DOA5LR Tutorial Playlist

Once you find a character you want to play as, you can search YouTube to see if there's a character guide on them. Then start practicing what that character's bread and butter combos are.

I would say it's less difficult than Tekken (depending on which character you are using) but like all fighting games its still going to take time and playing the game to get to a level of competency.
Emperor cows tutorials are the way to go? I am watching Force of Nature DOA6 tutorials as of now. For now I am gonna stick to playing just Zack, and then maybe try to pick up Mila and Diego down the road.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I see, I thought that DOA5 was best iteration considering the overall reception of the game by the competitive scene. Btw how hard is it to get into the game and learn the fundamentals and ins and outs of the game? Is it harder than let's say Tekken? And there are seem to be alot of guides out there, so it's hard to pick one.
It’s easier to get into than Tekken, but harder to truly master it, but this is just my opinion. For me DOA5LR is the way to go. 6 is fine… sort of, but it will also teach you to rely on a meter and stupid mechanics, whereas LR is more focus on it’s core and key fundamentals. So, long story short, go with 5.

FoN's tutorials are great stuff and I reference his videos all the time. The EMPER0RC0W playlist I linked was just a suggestion on where to start, not the end all be all for 5 tutorials.

@Force_of_Nature maybe FoN can chime in here with better advice/guidance on where to start with 5.
The thing about 5 is that I think it's a better game, and it doesn't have a get out of jail card in meter breaks like in DOA6 so you're actually rely on your fundamentals more.

The issue with 5 is that I can barely find lobbies where the players have a good connection, it's mostly 1 bar lobbies, because the most of the player base is from the US, so the games are very laggy.

Unfortunately PS4 has the most active playerbase for 5 and are US based, as you said.

Like you, I bought 5 this year and the struggle to find other people to play with who have good connections (I play on PC and in USA) dissuaded me from investing too much time in the game. I don't like playing against A.I. in fighting games.

So pretty much stuck with 6 if I want to play DOA online at any moment or I'd have to arrange a time with others to play 5, or 3++ or other DOAs.
You can play DOA3 online? I thought that you couldn't because it was an original Xbox game and they've discontinued the online support for all of the original Xbox games.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
DOA is harder depth wise since unlike Tekken, you have to learn to react to strings more, especially from stuns and the holding system can be intimidating since the guessing and making reads aspect can be hard to digest. In Tekken you don't have to do that except if your character has the ability to reverse or parry and the game doesn't have a stun system like DOA does.

Overall which game of DOA you prefer is up to you, DOA5 is more popular since we had that game's mechanics and overall balance for years and it was executed nicely although it had flaws. 6 tried to become beginner friendly but it wound up making break holds obnoxious, although I disagree with the notion the game "teaches" you to rely on meter or the mechanics, you don't need to break hold unless you're in fatal stun and the game does reward you for making correct reads if you don't use the break holds. Break blows are the game's power blow and fatal stuns are the game's critical bursts so the mechanics are virtually the same as LR but just handled different.

I also don't like how shallow the sidestep system is in 6 tbh, in 5 everyone had two options from a sidestep but now you only have one attack that costs meter. The combo system I won't knock since that's how all games are, every game has a character's go to combos for max damage but you can still get creative in 6, there's actually damaging combos that can surpass the optimal break blow ones but you just have to learn them and know what stages are the best to use them on like the Chinese Festival and in stages with breakables

FoN's tutorials are great stuff and I reference his videos all the time. The EMPER0RC0W playlist I linked was just a suggestion on where to start, not the end all be all for 5 tutorials.

@Force_of_Nature maybe FoN can chime in here with better advice/guidance on where to start with 5.
So I've watched all of the FONs DOA6 tutorials, should I watch DOA5 tutorials of his?

Onryoki

Standard Donor
So I've watched all of the FONs DOA6 tutorials, should I watch DOA5 tutorials of his?
Not trying to sound rude, sorry in advance if I do. But why are you asking for confirmation of other people? I think you should learn the game the way that’s the most comfortable and fun for you. You should do what you feel like doing and makes you think you learn the best.

Not trying to sound rude, sorry in advance if I do. But why are you asking for confirmation of other people? I think you should learn the game the way that’s the most comfortable and fun for you. You should do what you feel like doing and makes you think you learn the best.
I am still kinda green to DOA, so I am asking if I might miss something out if I don't watch the DOA5LR guides cause they might dig a bit deeper on the meat and potatoes of the game.

Guess I'll check it out anyway, cause I've checked VF4EVO tutorial for VF and it explained why thing happen the way they do.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I am still kinda green to DOA, so I am asking if I might miss something out if I don't watch the DOA5LR guides cause they might dig a bit deeper on the meat and potatoes of the game.

Guess I'll check it out anyway, cause I've checked VF4EVO tutorial for VF and it explained why thing happen the way they do.
It all depends on the game you want to learn. 5 is in my personal opinion closer to the fundamentals of DOA as a series.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's fascinating how different players have varied opinions on the best DOA game for competitive play. While you enjoy DOA4, which has its unique charm, many in the community lean towards DOA5 as the pinnacle of competitiveness. Its refined mechanics, extensive character balance, and active tournament scene contribute to its reputation as the go-to choice for serious competitors. By the way, if you're looking for a change of pace from gaming, have you considered catching a movie playing in theaters? It's always refreshing to unwind with some cinematic entertainment.

Is this a bot using Chat AI lol?

That was a strange combination mixed into linking a random suspicious website.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD