What's the good mentality for fighting against characters with strong holds?

helumi9089

I'm a Kokoro player and started playing DOA for the first time in DOA5, but I've always had some problems against certain players because of the fear of their holds.

She's a character with standard speed. i10 jab, i12 mid and i13 low while her kicks are much slower, so mostly she'll just use her jabs to attack when near the opponent.
I barely run away before the round starts and often want to attack, but against certain characters like busa, bayman, marie I always hesitate because their holds are strong.

At worst I could lose 140 health if getting caught by hayabusa izuna punch hold just for attacking in DOA6. Should I move away from those characters or just use kicks even if they are much slower? Her kicks start-up are i15. I have a i12 mid and characters like busa and bayman have i13 mid. Should I still use slower moves to attack them?
Her kicks are too slow to be used at the start of the round and I don't want to get stunned by opponent's fastest moves if they wanna attack for doing that.

I wonder if doing 2P would discourage them from using holds because it's +0 on NH and they don't really seem to care about it.

I've been having this problem and I think lots of people also do. I watched a lot of streams, inluding high-level players all around different communities.
When they face Busa or leifang they mostly stand still and don't really like to attack. It's busa/lei that kept pressing buttons or throwing them because of them standing still too much probably because of fear I guess.

In DOA5 this also happens to a lot of people when facing Genfu, but he's not in DOA6.

NightAntilli

The safest option is to simply block or position yourself better within the map. Most players have a pattern though, and generally, people that play the same characters start in similar ways. When you have more experience you'll know better what to do. There is no real best thing to do, because everything can be countered from the start.

xDevious

Standard Donor
Delay your strings and watch your opponent closely, especially during stuns, which is when most people like to Hold. When playing against Hold-heavy characters, you should always expect Holds, and when you see a Hold come out, punish it with a Hi-Counter Throw. It may deal less damage than a big stun into launch juggle combo would’ve done, but if they keep Holding, the damage will add up if you punish it every time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD