DOA5LR Who can punish low holds the hardest?

KING JAIMY

We all know it... the infamous low hold. Of course it's there to hold low strikes, but its intended use is different sometimes. Especially in the online realm, where we face a lot of opponents. Some of them tend to do a panic low hold when they are in a stun to try to get out of it. They'll avoid high strikes, low strikes and standing throws this way. However, this does not deem them invulnerable to low throws. A smart player will notice their opponent overusing the low hold, and punishes this bad habit with a low throw. A lot of characters can deal at least around 75 points of Hi-Counter damage with a low throw. So four succesful reads and they're done for. The question here is: Who can punish low throws the hardest? I have created a ranking for all characters where I have listed their most damaging low throw on Hi-Counter. Of course, there are other ways to punish a low hold besides low throwing them (e.g. Bass can do his 3K to go for a sit-down stun which leads into a guaranteed launcher), but the main focus here is punishment with a low throw. I hope you can all read it, since the image is resized.

Also, feel free to post your own experiences of people overusing low holds. How do you deal with low holders and what do you think of this habit? From my experience, people who have this habit tend to do a low hold when they get stunned, but a soon as I land another stun, they'll go for a standing hold. This is a pattern I have noticed recently; the deeper the stun threshold, the less likely it is that they will do a low hold.

DOA5LR - Low Hold Punishment.png

Last edited:

RoboJoe

That image is really small, lol. Anyway, a lot of the times I prefer to do a mid launcher instead of a low throw punish for the utility. Carrying someone to the wall, off a cliff, etc is well worth the slight drop in damage imo. I haven't played in a while but I'm moderately sure some characters like Akira or Gen Fu can do more damage with a launcher anyway, at least on lighter characters, but don't quote me on that because I don't feel like getting the numbers to check.

To be honest, I don't like low holds the way they are. I would like them to be considered standing and have the same frame data as the other two. I'm sure there's a reason for it being the way it is, but I don't really recall right now.

Lulu

The Low Hold is the only defensive hold that is an Option Select.... but I heard performing a critical low hold actually has a much higher recovery than all the standing ones..... so its not like its always the go to option.....

Anyway I think Hayabusa has the best low hold Punish, the input is not exactly reactionary friendly but it is a flexible punish... he can complete the Izuna and get all the damage or he can just do a juggle from it. Its also got enviromental benefits in stages with Ceilings (Home Stage) and Open Ledges (Lost World).

Argentus

best at punishing low holds? People with low grabs. Mila can go straight into her beatdown on a low opponent, same with Leon, and Ryu and I imagine Bayman has the same.

Lulu

My primary concern is trying to get the Low Hold to come out when I want it to so that I can punish it to the fullest....

I'm currently playing La Mariposa and her low offensive hold is actually a launching throw.... so my primary objective is to bait an opponent into Crouching..... which is hard because Crushing Lows is La Mariposa's Specialty.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think the fighters that can launch the opponent with a low throw like Kasumi and Phase 4 can punish the hardest IMO. The hi counter will make the throw damage even more venomous, but the launch from the throw is bread and butter for a skilled player, and very damaging combos can be made thanks to this. Also, if the opponent is near a danger zone, the overall damage output will be much more deadly. But again, that's just my opinion.

Nikotsumi

...I get so mad when someone avoids my high launchers with low holds. Usually i do not punish them with a throw, but with a mid launcher instead. However with Nyotengu and Honoka it's different, too much damage from their throws e.e
From my experience playing with Honoka online, i noticed that most people tend to react with a low hold after Bokuho PP and Dragon Stance P+K, don't know why, and then i just do HnK 2T for the glorious damage. With Nyo i just spam 2P,2PP until i see the low hold xD

jjinkou2

From my experience, people who have this habit tend to do a low hold when they get stunned, but a soon as I land another stun, they'll go for a standing hold. This is a pattern I have noticed recently; the deeper the stun threshold, the less likely it is that they will do a low hold.

A topic on pattern recognition could be interesting to create too! i didn"t notice that one, but i'll be more aware of it now. something i noticed is the WUK is often (and almost always) a low kick if people is about to die.

another one is : people running to you, will do a mid punch or a throw.

and the last i know is after 2 punchs comes a mid kick.

They do it only when they don't think much , or under pressure.

Lulu

A topic on pattern recognition could be interesting to create too! i didn"t notice that one, but i'll be more aware of it now. something i noticed is the WUK is often (and almost always) a low kick if people is about to die.

another one is : people running to you, will do a mid punch or a throw.

and the last i know is after 2 punchs comes a mid kick.

They do it only when they don't think much , or under pressure.

I do that sometimes.... luckily I have Alpha to help me get rid of that habbit when it begins getting out of hand.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD