Who will be cut in DOA6?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I think you messed that quote up, I didn't say that lol.

Well, now you did!

latest

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
What do you guys think will happen to the new characters like Marie Rose, Phase-4, Nyotengu, and Honoka? Who do you think will stay or get the boot, Yakuza style?

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
What do you guys think will happen to the new characters like Marie Rose, Phase-4, Nyotengu, and Honoka? Who do you think will stay or get the boot, Yakuza style?
Marie Rose is going to stay, because she's become very popular and was the only DLC character from Ultimate to introduce a completely new fighting style. Phase 4 is of course going to stay because she has story relevance, especially after that ending in DOA5. Nyotengu and Honoka of course are going to stay, mainly because Nyotengu gives back a fighting style fans miss and because Honoka has become increasingly popular with fans as well and they will most likely flesh out her secret power.

SoftCabbage

Honoka steals more moves than the original thief himself.

Raidou should merge with Honoka. And if they're keeping her, give her something legit, while Raidou will be a mix of his ninjutsu and stolen moves that he adapted.

Kodachi

Standard Donor
I think everyone will return, but I can see Momiji and Rachel being DLC to promote NG4. All the other new characters have relationships with other DOA characters but them so i don't think TN intended on including them into the main story. Raidou will return for sure to develop Honoka's story and Marie Rose is already set up as Helena's servant.

Chapstick

:akira::jacky::sarah::pai:

^Gone altogether

:alpha152::genfu:

^Gone with Phase 4 and Eliot inheriting some moves

:rachel::leon::ein:

^DOA6U, don't think Momiji will get cut from vanilla 6 because of how popular she is

:lisa:

^Cyborg Lisa replacing her? Who knows :eek:

:ayane::bass::christie::bradwong::eliot::hayate::helena::hitomi::honoka::jannlee::kasumi::kokoro::leifang::marierose::mila::nyotengu::phase4::cyborg::rig::hayabusa::tina::zack:

^100% positive they'll be staying

I think Raidou will be unlockable if they go back to that, maybe from beating story mode or something same with Donovan if Kasumi and the gang finally get to fight him. Honoka might get some unique moves of her own that they didn't give her in 5LR for time constraints/whatever and I think they'll expand upon Phase's movelist as well.

Number 13

Marie Rose and Honoka will be gone for DoA 6 mark my words.
Joking aside assuming DoA 6 is not just DoA 5, but replaced the 5 with a 6 and a new story then I would expect the vanilla version to have roughly the amount DoA 5 vanilla had put aside the VF guests is 21 characters.

Three main factors I consider to make the cut is

1. Popularity
2. Story Significance/Buildup potential
3. Gameplay style that fills a unique niche

LR is currently at 34 characters with character #35 several months from now. If #35 is in the same vein as MR/Honoka and is another popular figure then yeah she is gonna eat up another slot. From the current 34 I'm gonna weed it down to 20 returning. DoA 6 is likely gonna reserve a couple slots for new characters and maybe a couple more non VF cameos to bring it back to a sweet 24.

Characters that won't make the cut imo for at least the vanilla release are
:akira::sarah::jacky::pai::alpha152::leon::ein::rachel::genfu::momiji:

Characters that are likely to come back in an 'ultimate or LR' =:momiji::genfu::leon::ein::rachel:

Reason why I think this.

- The VF group is self-explanatory. Unless KT and Sega make another deal then it won't happen. Then again Sega likes to whore out their VF characters to other games without making a legitimate VF game these days so who knows maybe another deal could happen. I believe the original reason why this happened was so vanilla DoA 5 would help cross promote the console release of VF5FS and vice versa which released summer 2012 while DoA 5 vanilla came out Fall 2012. So unless a VF6 is announced in the next few years I wouldn't hold your breath especially at the state Sega is in now.

- Alpha 152 is another self explanatory. Was essentially killed off in the story unlike the cliffhanger of DoA 4. Sure it was a clone and could come back, but I doubt it with the slew of new antagonist figures showing up including Phase 4 which seems to fill the void of a clone enemy Kasumi. 152 wasn't particularly popular either even as a female humanoid and play-style wasn't the most unique since it was a modified Kasumi with a few tricks of her own mixed in. So yeah with the limited spots I don't see her making it.

- Leon is pretty much TN not knowing what to do with him. He barely gets exposure even for male tier. If TN couldn't figure it out for DoA 5 then I doubt it will for 6. Bayman already fills the niche of the obligatory alpha male bruiser type character to meet the quota. Bayman also at least found some relevance by at least forming a contact with Helena which is again why Bayman is likely to come back instead of Leon. Unless DoA 6 events is gonna be in a desert then I doubt Leon will ever leave it in the likely limited initial slots the game will have.

- Ein is pretty obvious. The guy is the amnesiac persona of Hayate who used Karate instead of Ninja stuff. He stopped being relevant since his debut in DoA 2 although it's ironic that he was more veteran in the DoA series then both Hayate and Hitomi who both ultimately borrowed off him for their gameplay. Another ironic thing was if he wasn't skipped for DoA 5 vanilla and kept the tradition of him still coming back as a non canon character [DoA 3/DoA 4] then he kind of would have a better shot for DoA 6 vanilla just because he at least had that going for him. Anyway popularity wise he doesn't have much going for him since he is both a male and pretty much being overshadowed by his flashy ninja counterpart Hayate and bubbly Karate fighter Hitomi. Story significance doesn't help either since he has always been non canon although there are some theories that revived relevance of Project Epsilon could maybe bring Ein in some form back, but that is speculation at best. Hayate/Hitomi fills the niche Ein would have filled so yeah his priority is low overall.

- Now Rachel. Yes she is a female and some of you might think I'm insane suggesting she won't make the cut. Here is why: One of the lesser popular characters for a female, has next to no story significance, and gameplay is pseudo Spartan which Spartan was already pseudo from other DoA characters. I want to make it clear that just because a character is female does not guarantee she will make it to DoA 6 [at least the vanilla version] due to limited slots. Her NG roots is holding her back ironically because I doubt the NG characters that isn't Hayabusa will start playing a role in DoA 6 story. It would just overshadow the DoA characters and Hayabusa does enough of that on his own. Hayabusa had several DoA games to fit into the mold comfortably [friend of Hayate, watches/protects Kasumi, has respect from Ayane, etc] while Rachel barely joined in the expansion of one game that has no contacts to any of the DoA characters besides Hayabusa. Her gameplay isn't particularly unique either to fill a niche. So yeah she is more of a bench DoA character that is perfect for helping to sell expansion copies.

- Genfu. At least his case is a bit better then Leon since he at least appeared briefly in the DoA 5 story. Doesn't help though that ironically it would damage his chances. Ok first off again he is a male and an old male to boot so outside of a niche of a niche he isn't popular even for a male character. Story significance is next to nothing at this point. He kind of already fulfilled his main purpose in the early games similar with Leon. His latest purpose is being the master of Eliot leaving behind his legacy. His only real connections right now with other characters is Eliot and kind of Brad Wong. In the climax of Eliot's chapter Gen Fu revealed he was gonna teach him more stuff after his journey with Brad. This could mean Eliot could start using some of Gen Fu's stuff in the next game. If that is the case then that kind of damages of necessity of Gen Fu in the vanilla release just like it did with Ein [another original fighter that had his stuff leached off by future fighters]. It could be a cliche thing where Gen Fu dies of old age and Eliot succeeds him [he is 'the successor' for DoA title]. Gen Fu could come back in an expansion as a non canon character though like Ein. Only thing he had going for him was his gameplay which was unique for the DoA roster but that can change if Eliot starts leeching off him next game. So yeah with a limited space I can see him gone initially given the circumstances. Also having old man in fighters isn't as obligatory as you may think. Look at Wang in Tekken [who still isn't announced in T7] who had a history of missing entires.

- Momiji is similar case to Rachel, but not as bad. She is more popular, has a stronger connection with Hayabusa, and gameplay has at least more depth since Rachel has a pitiful move-list size. Honestly the fact that she is sort of a female ninja like Kasumi/Ayane is what is helping her chances, but at the same time she has similar issues like Rachel is what is holding her back from being a lock. I mean if she does get in for Vanilla I would be the least surprised compared to the above characters I listed.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Marie Rose and Honoka will be gone for DoA 6 mark my words.
Joking aside assuming DoA 6 is not just DoA 5, but replaced the 5 with a 6 and a new story then I would expect the vanilla version to have roughly the amount DoA 5 vanilla had put aside the VF guests is 21 characters.

Three main factors I consider to make the cut is

1. Popularity
2. Story Significance/Buildup potential
3. Gameplay style that fills a unique niche

LR is currently at 34 characters with character #35 several months from now. If #35 is in the same vein as MR/Honoka and is another popular figure then yeah she is gonna eat up another slot. From the current 34 I'm gonna weed it down to 20 returning. DoA 6 is likely gonna reserve a couple slots for new characters and maybe a couple more non VF cameos to bring it back to a sweet 24.

Characters that won't make the cut imo for at least the vanilla release are
:akira::sarah::jacky::pai::alpha152::leon::ein::rachel::genfu::momiji:

Characters that are likely to come back in an 'ultimate or LR' =:momiji::genfu::leon::ein::rachel:

Reason why I think this.

- The VF group is self-explanatory. Unless KT and Sega make another deal then it won't happen. Then again Sega likes to whore out their VF characters to other games without making a legitimate VF game these days so who knows maybe another deal could happen. I believe the original reason why this happened was so vanilla DoA 5 would help cross promote the console release of VF5FS and vice versa which released summer 2012 while DoA 5 vanilla came out Fall 2012. So unless a VF6 is announced in the next few years I wouldn't hold your breath especially at the state Sega is in now.

- Alpha 152 is another self explanatory. Was essentially killed off in the story unlike the cliffhanger of DoA 4. Sure it was a clone and could come back, but I doubt it with the slew of new antagonist figures showing up including Phase 4 which seems to fill the void of a clone enemy Kasumi. 152 wasn't particularly popular either even as a female humanoid and play-style wasn't the most unique since it was a modified Kasumi with a few tricks of her own mixed in. So yeah with the limited spots I don't see her making it.

- Leon is pretty much TN not knowing what to do with him. He barely gets exposure even for male tier. If TN couldn't figure it out for DoA 5 then I doubt it will for 6. Bayman already fills the niche of the obligatory alpha male bruiser type character to meet the quota. Bayman also at least found some relevance by at least forming a contact with Helena which is again why Bayman is likely to come back instead of Leon. Unless DoA 6 events is gonna be in a desert then I doubt Leon will ever leave it in the likely limited initial slots the game will have.

- Ein is pretty obvious. The guy is the amnesiac persona of Hayate who used Karate instead of Ninja stuff. He stopped being relevant since his debut in DoA 2 although it's ironic that he was more veteran in the DoA series then both Hayate and Hitomi who both ultimately borrowed off him for their gameplay. Another ironic thing was if he wasn't skipped for DoA 5 vanilla and kept the tradition of him still coming back as a non canon character [DoA 3/DoA 4] then he kind of would have a better shot for DoA 6 vanilla just because he at least had that going for him. Anyway popularity wise he doesn't have much going for him since he is both a male and pretty much being overshadowed by his flashy ninja counterpart Hayate and bubbly Karate fighter Hitomi. Story significance doesn't help either since he has always been non canon although there are some theories that revived relevance of Project Epsilon could maybe bring Ein in some form back, but that is speculation at best. Hayate/Hitomi fills the niche Ein would have filled so yeah his priority is low overall.

- Now Rachel. Yes she is a female and some of you might think I'm insane suggesting she won't make the cut. Here is why: One of the lesser popular characters for a female, has next to no story significance, and gameplay is pseudo Spartan which Spartan was already pseudo from other DoA characters. I want to make it clear that just because a character is female does not guarantee she will make it to DoA 6 [at least the vanilla version] due to limited slots. Her NG roots is holding her back ironically because I doubt the NG characters that isn't Hayabusa will start playing a role in DoA 6 story. It would just overshadow the DoA characters and Hayabusa does enough of that on his own. Hayabusa had several DoA games to fit into the mold comfortably [friend of Hayate, watches/protects Kasumi, has respect from Ayane, etc] while Rachel barely joined in the expansion of one game that has no contacts to any of the DoA characters besides Hayabusa. Her gameplay isn't particularly unique either to fill a niche. So yeah she is more of a bench DoA character that is perfect for helping to sell expansion copies.

- Genfu. At least his case is a bit better then Leon since he at least appeared briefly in the DoA 5 story. Doesn't help though that ironically it would damage his chances. Ok first off again he is a male and an old male to boot so outside of a niche of a niche he isn't popular even for a male character. Story significance is next to nothing at this point. He kind of already fulfilled his main purpose in the early games similar with Leon. His latest purpose is being the master of Eliot leaving behind his legacy. His only real connections right now with other characters is Eliot and kind of Brad Wong. In the climax of Eliot's chapter Gen Fu revealed he was gonna teach him more stuff after his journey with Brad. This could mean Eliot could start using some of Gen Fu's stuff in the next game. If that is the case then that kind of damages of necessity of Gen Fu in the vanilla release just like it did with Ein [another original fighter that had his stuff leached off by future fighters]. It could be a cliche thing where Gen Fu dies of old age and Eliot succeeds him [he is 'the successor' for DoA title]. Gen Fu could come back in an expansion as a non canon character though like Ein. Only thing he had going for him was his gameplay which was unique for the DoA roster but that can change if Eliot starts leeching off him next game. So yeah with a limited space I can see him gone initially given the circumstances. Also having old man in fighters isn't as obligatory as you may think. Look at Wang in Tekken [who still isn't announced in T7] who had a history of missing entires.

- Momiji is similar case to Rachel, but not as bad. She is more popular, has a stronger connection with Hayabusa, and gameplay has at least more depth since Rachel has a pitiful move-list size. Honestly the fact that she is sort of a female ninja like Kasumi/Ayane is what is helping her chances, but at the same time she has similar issues like Rachel is what is holding her back from being a lock. I mean if she does get in for Vanilla I would be the least surprised compared to the above characters I listed.
That's pretty much as detailed as anyone can get regarding the fate of Momiji, Rachel, and the VFs for DOA6 (I'll miss Pai and Sarah :( ).

system11

Standard Donor
I think the ones in order of danger are:

The VFs - licensing reasons
Alpha-152 - seriously enough with the Kasumi clones.
Ein - because he's not that interesting.
Raidou - Honoka is a similar concept but more popular.
Gen-Fu for story reasons and to give Elliot a step up (be a shame, a lot of people like him - my gf for example)
Leon - because TN just won't give the guy a break sometimes.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Ein - because he's not that interesting.
If that was an actual excuse they'll have to also get rid of Hitomi, Hayate and any other character that plays remotely like him.

Raidou will be back in 6... Wtf would be the point if making this cyborg version of Raidou to just throw him away with zero explanation of anything?

DontForkWitMe

I sure hope TN doesn't use these sorry ass excuses you guys have come up with as reasons to cut anyone because then 75% of the roster might as well be cut.

The only 100% guaranteed not to return for DOA6 are the VF characters and alpha. everyone else will be back in one way or another either as unlockables, dlc, or in future expansions

system11

Standard Donor
If that was an actual excuse they'll have to also get rid of Hitomi, Hayate and any other character that plays remotely like him.

Raidou will be back in 6... Wtf would be the point if making this cyborg version of Raidou to just throw him away with zero explanation of anything?

He felt like pure filler to me. As for Ein I don't mean his fighting style (although yeah it's covered by others), it's the fact that he is just a fairly bland clone. 'Hayate with amnesia and a string vest'. In my opinion.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I don't see why people keep saying Momiji or Rachel will get cut. they're very popular and with the addition of Nyotengu they have a perfect enemy. while Nyotengu is trying to derp around she'll come under attack by Momiji and Rachel leaving Ryu free to do plot stuff.

UpSideDownGRUNT

He felt like pure filler to me. As for Ein I don't mean his fighting style (although yeah it's covered by others), it's the fact that he is just a fairly bland clone. 'Hayate with amnesia and a string vest'. In my opinion.
EIN isn't a clone lol Ein predates BOTH Hayate and Hitomi they're clones of Ein.

Also he has stuff neither Hayate/Hitomi have like 3P, WRK, 3KK the Hokage etc. And he's just more likable than Hayate brash and arrogant vs stoic and always loses... Yeah Id rather keep Ein lol

If they do cut him I'd at least like a Hayate clne that mixes both Eins best tools with Hayates stuff.

Seigen

Cut Gen Fu? Cut one of the best DOA characters just because of some stupid story? I don't even know the DOA5 story and don't give a fuck about it. It's a fighting game, we don't need a story so they might as well don't bother to come up with one. ffs

SoftCabbage

Cut Gen Fu? Cut one of the best DOA characters just because of some stupid story? I don't even know the DOA5 story and don't give a fuck about it. It's a fighting game, we don't need a story so they might as well don't bother to come up with one. ffs
Frankly saying, a background story is needed, no matter how short or how stupid that is. And thanks to the story, it created a backbone to the series and that created a purpose to expand until now we can see the 5th.

Developers and publishers aren't stupid. Nobody would waste extra bunch money on something unimportant.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD