Why do so many people dislike the VF cast?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Difficult to MASTER yes.

Difficult to wing it? Oh hell no lol. I only played him like 5 times but he was VERY beginner friendly when mashing from my experience. He hits quickly, no recoil on his moves, and his moves hit at various angles. Aside from remembering to watch out for holds you can literally just alternate punches and kicks with him and hell keep thwacking away.

Yeah that wouldn't get me a win at high level but it doesn't disprove my point at all.

And you guys seriously gotta stop trying to just dismiss everything with "no your opponent just sucked" it makes you look desperate for an excuse lol. Even if they did, it has no bearing on Akira being easy to wing it with. He doesn't have awkward stances or anything like Sarah. His actual base movements are really basic, but surprisingly fast. He's just a lot of solid strikes. Only complicated when you try to go into setups and juggles. Fundamental though (which is all you really need in DOA), he's super easy due to his fighting style.

It does disproves your point because that shows you played people who are not strong at the game. You pounded a noob by mashing, that alone shows that the player you just played with are not strong at the game because it is already a known fact that you cannot victory mash with Akira.

You made an incorrect statement and it is difficult to convince you otherwise from a VF character that has a DOA model. To us "you" are desperate to exclude the VF characters as actual playing characters. Learn the game for once, there are no excuses, you are making an excuse to not deal with them. Your dislike just shows the type of player you are, there is no hope in convincing you so give up. Your requests with changes will never happen because it was never broke or unfixed to begin with. Enjoy.

Argentus

It does disproves your point because that shows you played people who are not strong at the game. You pounded a noob by mashing, that alone shows that the player you just played with are not strong at the game because it is already a known fact that you cannot victory mash with Akira.

You made an incorrect statement and it is difficult to convince you otherwise from a VF character that has a DOA model. To us "you" are desperate to exclude the VF characters as actual playing characters. Learn the game for once, there are no excuses, you are making an excuse to not deal with them. Your dislike just shows the type of player you are, there is no hope in convincing you so give up. Your requests with changes will never happen because it was never broke or unfixed to begin with. Enjoy.

You are way too hung up on wins and losses.

Whether I win or lose or how good the opponent is, has zero relevance to how Akira handles for a beginner.

Just because you don't win the indy 500 doesn't mean you can't drive a car, understand?

You keep thinking in terms of "he's just mad because he lost" when winning or losing has no impact on the matter whatsoever. Regardless of whether I win or lose, I still don't like how the VF move in a manner different from the DOA cast, and regardless of whether I win or lose, I found Akira easy to pick up and play.

Seriously take a step back and actually pay attention to what's being said.

I dislike the vf for the aesthetic of their twitchy animations clashing with the fluidity of DOA. Where I win or lose a match does not change this, thus, irrelevant.

I found Akira easy to mash with. Doesn't matter who I was up against, because I'm talking about how Akira handles.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Here's the thing. The information you provided is not an actual fact, he was never considered mash friendly and never will be. It's up to you to accept that. You chose not to, so that answer is forever alone in your possession. This is the last response since you provide invalid feedback on a character that is just plain invalid. So yes, I understand that you are not too heavy on the game, but don't provide information to stuff you know nothing about.

Good day Argentus. Enjoy.

Tempest

Ok no. I've played sly bass, I've played destruction bomb. And I have played a person at my local scene with a solid Akira. He is not a character you can mash and succeed with. If you do not know how to execute his best tools, and know when to use them, you will not find any success with him. I am not afraid of an Akira that can't get his guaranteed guard break damage, juggle with h+k, or utilize the instant palm. None of the VF characters are mash friendly (no not even Sarah ).

Argentus

Here's the thing. The information you provided is not an actual fact, he was never considered mash friendly and never will be. It's up to you to accept that. You chose not to, so that answer is forever alone in your possession. This is the last response since you provide invalid feedback on a character that is just plain invalid. So yes, I understand that you are not too heavy on the game, but don't provide information to stuff you know nothing about.

Good day Argentus. Enjoy.
Ok no. I've played sly bass, I've played destruction bomb. And I have played a person at my local scene with a solid Akira. He is not a character you can mash and succeed with. If you do not know how to execute his best tools, and know when to use them, you will not find any success with him. I am not afraid of an Akira that can't get his guaranteed guard break damage, juggle with h+k, or utilize the instant palm. None of the VF characters are mash friendly (no not even Sarah ).

Say what ya want but I mashed with him well enough lol.

I find him the easiest of the VFs to pick up and play, by far, is all I'm saying.

Xernuht

From my own experience, I don't like how most of the VFs feel in this game, especially Akira and Sarah. I assume it's due to how their animations work, but like it has been said, there's no perceivable weight to their moves. The frame data may say they're -8 or whatever, but they don't feel like I can throw out of them.

This feels really weird, because I play VF5, and they have the proper safe/unsafe feel there.

The cosmetic stuff is anything from cute (sound effects) to mildly annoying (character voices ripped from VF5).

Ictinike

The main reason people hate, from what I have asked, is because they are more difficult to use and because you know if a person is maining them, the chances of you getting bodied by one is high when you come across them. Why? Because they're difficult to use and the only people that'll do well and main them are those that are really willing to learn the game. A better example of mashy character would be momiji, Christie, or Hitomi. Obviously, they aren't cheap, but you can pull off a wider variety of moves by pushing buttons. Now, with Akira, Jacky, Sarah, and to a lesser extent, Pai. This won't work. You'll likely pull off like, four moves tops, because their execution is different.

Though, I don't agree with VF combos not being flashy. People always get excited when they see an Akira doing work with that one frame knee, Jacky and his kick, Sarah and her pressure, Pai and her resets.

Personally, I only think a VF looks jerky, is when a person doesn't know how to link their moves. They feel different to me, because like I said, they flow differently. But Nyo feels different from Hitomi sooo...

Also, I think the whole mom thing beating a player by mashing was only to be taken as a joke and not used as evidence. If they were easy to pick up more people would use them.

Majority that I have spoken with, their main reason for hating them is because they lose to them. All other complaints is usually brought on from annoyance of losing. Just like when you are really annoyed by someone then everything they do gets on your nerves, "Damn, why he gotta breath so loud?"

There is reason Akira players usually get respect for who they main.

In the end, there is no real answer. Some people dislike for no reason at all.

HHH816

this is my old ranked match with akira player during DOA5 vanilla, i nearly lost

Last edited:

saikyom

i think people like them because they are harder to use.
i main akira and think he's great,couldn't see anything wrong with him. ( wish they bring my main from vf : goh hinogami)
but sarah and especially jack seem sooooo out of place......animation and modeling wise.

Lando41

Hello i am new here but a extremely longtime fan and player of both VF and DOA series from the beginnings of both. Nice to meet you all. Topic at hand....playing both games i see no reason to believe the VF cast have frame issues in the game. They were made utilizing DOA mechanics in the game and as far as any of them is concerned they transitioned well from VF to DOA pretty polished. Any dislike is gonna be more perspective than reality wise concerning their movement and of course online issue in any lag.

Sarah plays just fine and if your gonna judge by frame data then you problem would be with her moveset initially not her overall gameplay. She plays the way she plays and moves because she has to based of her style mechanics type. Same as all the other VF cast and doa. The not sticking out vs the others is just a personal jolt, not the companies. If you wanna play as the character...pick them, if not the dont. They didnt get any less treatment than the rest of the cast but if so then it was based on character personality. Pai has outfits to reflect herself ingame like Sarah does as well and if any fan service ones of sorts is clearly done well. They all look great and i actually love sarah and pai look in the game than even Vf 5 final showdowns.

People may not understand how to deal with them when fighting them is also a personal gripe and not the companies fault either. Every character in the game is beatable and can beat anyone. The better you are with the VF character the more you stand a chance against someone who is good with a Doa one. Your personal skill will dictate how well you are with what the Vf character can do, they are no more special than anyone in the game Other than being guest characters. I just seen a lot over the years nit picking for no real reason other tha to do it because its either they a fan of some other game franchise and draw nonsense opinions and are just biased. VF molds very well into DOA and I gotta give them props for achieving it pretty solid. Hell i say nring more of them over...gimmie Vanessa, Eileen, Lion and so on if could. Its a great blending. Remember this is a 3d game and frame data works a quite bit different to greatly different than 2d ones. I am a sprite artist and a 3d modeler as well....its a lot of differences in motions and the code timing of them vs frames. Things have to be a specific way to achieve certain goals In a characters gameplay of a move not overall .

Sorry for the long post and glad to be here as a longtime fan and player.

Argentus

I don't understand not liking a character because you can't beat them. For me those are two separate matters. For example, I like Christie, even though I have a helluva time fighting her.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I don't understand not liking a character because you can't beat them. For me those are two separate matters. For example, I like Christie, even though I have a helluva time fighting her.
Likewise, I don't mind Jacky Bryant, as he's one of my favorite VF characters (Lion and Shun Di still my most favorites). However, I do struggle against Jacky. Just because I have a difficult time beating a character doesn't make me dislike them.

Lando41

I love the whole roster, Honoka is a bit weird but as you play with her she can grow on you, i wish they gave her a real original gameplay style tho. I find the most moments in a heated battle up against real good players who can work Akira and Sarah very well. But i also done played some good Doa side too. They could had brought over a few more Vf 5 folks too dang it, ok i am being greedy. lol.

Usually against Jacky and Sarah players i tend to play more defensive counter, even tho 3 of them are not as easy to counter since they moves and combos pop out fast in good strings like sarah, jacky and pai. Akira ya got to play against him ( depending on on the players playstyle vs the characters actual movesets ) aggressive countering. He got a lot of readable moves but most players i found go more for his dash in game. So must time those counters right on the money. He slower than kokoro but packs more power so ya got compensate for that by getting more aggressive against him and force players to go for the dash ins and side step those and then combo punish for the misses.

Playing aginst VF characters is same as playing against DOA ones, use tactics. Akira is not a button masher character by far, never has and never will be . He doesnt have those pokes that are easier to get out and pretty much he is a more harder character to master. Frame data reading in Doa5 is pretty much almost useless since they are tighter but you got a lot of combos that are just over punishing in tag mode.
Basically i dont see why anyone would fuss over Vf characters in the game, they are equal in everything to the others. The reasons given tho are extremely vague and present no real viable facts that they are like those ways said to be. Animations wise, Tecmo ported in Vf moves, tweaked them to fit the doa flow while still retaining some of the characters original styles but with improvements. I like how they changed up some who grabs in Vf are now counters in Doa 5. Pretty damn good idea if ya ask me. Lol.

Dr Drake

I only dislike the VF Chars because they have no taunts.

no Taunts = worst Tier.

And I am not a fan of Cross up stuff.

Lando41

I only dislike the VF Chars because they have no taunts.

no Taunts = worst Tier.

And I am not a fan of Cross up stuff.
Lmao!!!! Really?

Well if your not a fan of Crossups then yeah you wouldnt probably get the most fun out of them if you cant set that aside to enjoy the games for what they are....fighting games.
I like sf x Tekken....not a ton but i like it. VF side flow more natural so it wasnt forced to blend in with DOA 5. Thats a great example of a good cross up game to me if they went ahead and made a real cross over, this just has a tiny few characters as guests. So its not a true Crossover. Dont know what DOA6 will have in store next if they bring some other Vfers or just go all out and do a Crossover. The best 2 games to do it anyway.

Ictinike

I don't understand not liking a character because you can't beat them either. But for whatever reason it happens. I mean, just look at the constant cries of hate and for nerfs because people can't deal with certain characters. Alpha is a prime example.

Let's be honest here, we all have heard of people calling the VF cast cheap. More likely toward Sarah then the others.

Argentus

I don't understand not liking a character because you can't beat them either. But for whatever reason it happens. I mean, just look at the constant cries of hate and for nerfs because people can't deal with certain characters. Alpha is a prime example.

Let's be honest here, we all have heard of people calling the VF cast cheap. More likely toward Sarah then the others.
Yeah but to me at least that's a separate matter.

Ictinike

Yeah but to me at least that's a separate matter.

Oh, I thought we were making generalizations about why people dislike VF characters. I didn't know we were talking about you.

Edit:: Sorry, this sounded much meaner than I intended! Lol I was not taking shots at you, I promise.

Lando41

Oh, I thought we were making generalizations about why people dislike VF characters. I didn't know we were talking about you.

Edit:: Sorry, this sounded much meaner than I intended! Lol I was not taking shots at you, I promise.
Well the thread is about generalizations why folks dont like VF characters and either reasons why they dont or figurings as to why would they even not like them since most the reasons i done heard or read are pretty much from personal gripes , nit picks and even unfactual statements. Some folks domt like Sarah cause her poke game is pretty dang good but she lacks power with them so you need more hits. Combos and such to take down characters, but to me amd others, thats balancing her out. Everyone can be countered, blocked, reverse and can be aggressive and defensive. Its just up to how players play with them and or handle them.

Most the hate or gripes are based on playing against them rather than with them. I always found it a great tool to play with the VF characters and learn to understand them so when you play against that character you know what things it can do and how to handle them in fighting them. Its worked for me for over 26 plus years in fightimg games . This game and cast are no different.

DyByHands

I thoroughly enjoy them. And because of them I grabbed some VF games, which was a great move. I feel like their inclusion was super successful as homage and to promote VF to DOA players (and possibly the reverse). I new of the VF/DOA relationship but I never wanted to play VF due to the "technical" shadow it has. But after playing with Akira and Pai in 5 vanilla, I was sold.

And they're way better guests than the Spartan :cool:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD