Why do so many people dislike the VF cast?

Lulu

My preferred tactic after 7k is a simple 3hk to down em for a mount, but I usually just go for mixup to mess with them first. My usual pattern is

7k>2hk>3hk. They fall for it almost every time. I dunno if I'm remembering inputs right but with or without 7k it goes
Long reach poke
They attempt to counterattack
Sweep to avoid
They try to hold
Somersault>Mount.

Wait I'm remembering it wrong I think. Something like that at any rate.

Little extra damage and it breaks their rhythm for a while, keeping the match in your favor because you set the pace not them. That's why I prefer riskier stuff over guaranteed setups. Guaranteed is too predictable. Read the opponent and guide their actions.

Simpler option for following 7k is to just somersault with 3hk for a mount.

On sidestepping...I don't play tag lol. Changing input took some getting uses to but its way better imo.

But yeah stagger escape and sit down stuns just seem...I dunno if this is the right word but...gratuitous? They're pointless in DOA, but seem more to cater to people used to other fighters with more guaranteed setups. Either way, "spin the thumb stick" was a terrible way to implement it.

As for dealing with unholdable stuns like sit down, treat it like baiting the opponent then read and punish the attack that would put you in sit down stun. Most people who use it rely on it exclusively because its easy damage, so it makes them really predictable. Like when fighting Akira, don't brother going on the offense. He's all about pounding you, which is an opening thanks to the hold system. Eat damage to get a feel for the players habits and preferences, then simply Hold his preferred attacks.

Though yeah the vfs are a pain because they leave you in stun so damn long so if they get momentum you're fucked lol. But like I said there's ways to deal with em. That's how I do it.

On slow moves though...sit down stuns aren't needed for that either because since this is a 3d fighter you can easily land slow moves by just reading and using them for Crushes instead of trying to throw them out normally.
Thats what I love the most.... reading an oppoenent so well that you don't need to rely on guarantees...... I hate guarantees..... don't get me wrong I abuse these stuns like crazy but I don't actually enjoy doing it.
Mila's mounting setups are fantastic if you opt for the riskier multi strike option instead of the safe single follow up throw then you get roughly the same amount of damage as a juggle..... I like them becausI'it seems like its the best way to change gears in a match and forces your opponent ho change their attack strategy and behaviour..... whats even cooler is Mila's 7 K fully charged on Counter Hit Guarantees a Level 3 Sit Down stun...... people who get hit by this thing tend to hesitate afterwards because it just catches them off guard and leaves in a compromising position.... bold moves are awesome.

Argentus

Thats what I love the most.... reading an oppoenent so well that you don't need to rely on guarantees...... I hate guarantees..... don't get me wrong I abuse these stuns like crazy but I don't actually enjoy doing it.
Mila's mounting setups are fantastic if you opt for the riskier multi strike option instead of the safe single follow up throw then you get roughly the same amount of damage as a juggle..... I like them becausI'it seems like its the best way to change gears in a match and forces your opponent ho change their attack strategy and behaviour..... whats even cooler is Mila's 7 K fully charged on Counter Hit Guarantees a Level 3 Sit Down stun...... people who get hit by this thing tend to hesitate afterwards because it just catches them off guard and leaves in a compromising position.... bold moves are awesome.
Exactly :) plus it is SO much more satisfying knowing you outplayed them instead of just abusing guaranteed setups. Keeps your skills sharper too.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Id say Pai is closest to actually moving like DOA however.
-I have to totally agree! I did a quick article/comparison praise piece of the inclusion of the VF5 cast into DOA5. In that very piece I made a clear distinction of How DOA continued along the VF2 path, and the cast had the energy and charisma of a "Pai" like Character!!! So out of All the VF5 inclusions, Pai fits in the best. The others move akward due to Sega wanting them to retain too much of their VF5 identity in DOA5! I am pretty sure Team Ninja is more than capable of totally retrofitting the VF5 cast....thus them always being a lil akward and out of place! A matter of fact, a better more natural fit would have been the Fighting Vipers Cast! I would cum a 10,000x if They had Candy/Honey in DOA5...omg, That bitch would rock in this game ;-)

Argentus

-I have to totally agree! I did a quick article/comparison praise piece of the inclusion of the VF5 cast into DOA5. In that very piece I made a clear distinction of How DOA continued along the VF2 path, and the cast had the energy and charisma of a "Pai" like Character!!! So out of All the VF5 inclusions, Pai fits in the best. The others move akward due to Sega wanting them to retain too much of their VF5 identity in DOA5! I am pretty sure Team Ninja is more than capable of totally retrofitting the VF5 cast....thus them always being a lil akward and out of place! A matter of fact, a better more natural fit would have been the Fighting Vipers Cast! I would cum a 10,000x if They had Candy/Honey in DOA5...omg, That bitch would rock in this game ;-)
Lol which version though? Human or cat?
gfs_88797_2_2.jpg

Stf-honey-amy.png

I say screw it, alter ego costumes like Lisa/LA mairposa and bass/Mr strong lol

Number 13

lol VF characters make the DoA characters look like interesting characters with a lot of depth. One of the complaints the VF series has to deal with is the lack of character development/lore exploration that fleshes out these fighters so you actually see them as something more then floating hitbox models. Tekken in comparison has no issue with this became Harada actually tries to tell a story/establish a setting/evolve the characters/etc. Sega would have to put a bit~ more effort then a short synopsis/character bio in the game manuals to get that message across. To be fair DoA in the past wasn't much better in the past under Itagaki, but with Doa Dimensions and DoA 5 they are improving on that area more.

Ok about the actual topic. I don't hate VF characters in general. I like VF. However, chalk me up as another one that didn't like the execution of the transition to DoA 5. Issues are as followed:

- Too many VF guests. Four of them is overkill that passed the border from "homage" to "padding roster at minimal cost to help sell game". Would gladly trade two of the VF guests for one original DoA character if that was ever a choice.

- Voices should have been rerecording. I don't buy the "it was for fanservice" excuse. The "fanservice" was bringing the VF characters to DoA 5 in the first place. The real much more likely reason that holds more water on why the voices were not rerecorded for DoA 5 was rerecording the voices [instead of copy/paste] would have cost them more time/money/resources/effort. That is fine if they want to cut costs, but don't expect people to not complain about it just like on their other decisions to cut costs such as costume recolors or mimic characters.

- The uncanny valley animations. I didn't have a problem with this in VF. You know why? The reason was because it didn't stand out in a game full of them. Now when it clashes with DoA 5 characters? It throws people off. It's not a a matter of "git gud", but it's a matter of maintaining appropriate levels of consistency. I had the same issue with how Yoda was handled in SCIV that literally existed to infuriate players not because he was too good/bad/whatever, but how unorthodox the character was for a SC game.

- Balance. Enough said. It wouldn't be an issue for VF, but this isn't VF. They need to be adapted to DoA standards for the meta-game since they are in a DoA game. I expect the reverse to happen if a DoA character was in a VF game. Again this isn't a "git gud" issue because I'm not complaining that they are relatively more difficult execution wise, their tier placement, or whatever, but the VF characters don't follow the rules that the majority of the DoA characters have to follow which makes the VF characters stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not saying VF are too good or whatever, but they don't play like they are in a DoA game is the issue which I think is the least they could for taking up roster space.

- No VF character themes. I can understand this not happening in vanilla since vanilla didn't have music customization [it first came in the Vita game which was expanded in Ultimate and above] which brought the DoA series character, character select, training etc themes. Yet by now with LR with the amount of music added there is still no VF character themes. That means VF characters are still stuck with "STAGE" as their default theme so it was bad enough that they stuck out as a VF character in a DoA game, but not they stick as a Vanilla character as well. Yes I know you can change their themes which I'm sure most of us did, but that is just hiding the issue not resolving it.

- No taunts. Minor issue, but issue nevertheless. In a game where the characters have multiple taunts they didn't give the VF characters at least one single taunt by now in LR? I'm not asking for out of character shit like seeing Akira calling someone an idiot or whatever, but it's not that hard to add an animation [it's not like there was much effort being invested in these VF characters as the above issues addressed] throughout DoA 5 - DoA 5 LR that fits the character especially with all the recycled stuff at their disposal. If only this was an issue I wouldn't have cared to begin with, but this got added into a pile of other issues which makes the lack of taunts now look like a bigger issue then it should be.

I liked how they at least updated the outdated models so it wouldn't be too obvious the amount of corners being cut so props on them for that. This is coming from someone who was hyped when he first saw Akira fighting Kasumi in that trailer, but was disappointed how it was all handled. Wouldn't want VF guests to come back again if this similar result is gonna happen again.

Lulu

Wow.... people care about that stuff ?
Not me..... I see all the characters as nothing but hitbox models and it doesn't phase me one bit.... the gameplay is just too good.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
lol VF characters make the DoA characters look like interesting characters with a lot of depth. One of the complaints the VF series has to deal with is the lack of character development/lore exploration that fleshes out these fighters so you actually see them as something more then floating hitbox models. Tekken in comparison has no issue with this became Harada actually tries to tell a story/establish a setting/evolve the characters/etc. Sega would have to put a bit~ more effort then a short synopsis/character bio in the game manuals to get that message across. To be fair DoA in the past wasn't much better in the past under Itagaki, but with Doa Dimensions and DoA 5 they are improving on that area more.

Ok about the actual topic. I don't hate VF characters in general. I like VF. However, chalk me up as another one that didn't like the execution of the transition to DoA 5. Issues are as followed:

- Too many VF guests. Four of them is overkill that passed the border from "homage" to "padding roster at minimal cost to help sell game". Would gladly trade two of the VF guests for one original DoA character if that was ever a choice.

- Voices should have been rerecording. I don't buy the "it was for fanservice" excuse. The "fanservice" was bringing the VF characters to DoA 5 in the first place. The real much more likely reason that holds more water on why the voices were not rerecorded for DoA 5 was rerecording the voices [instead of copy/paste] would have cost them more time/money/resources/effort. That is fine if they want to cut costs, but don't expect people to not complain about it just like on their other decisions to cut costs such as costume recolors or mimic characters.

- The uncanny valley animations. I didn't have a problem with this in VF. You know why? The reason was because it didn't stand out in a game full of them. Now when it clashes with DoA 5 characters? It throws people off. It's not a a matter of "git gud", but it's a matter of maintaining appropriate levels of consistency. I had the same issue with how Yoda was handled in SCIV that literally existed to infuriate players not because he was too good/bad/whatever, but how unorthodox the character was for a SC game.

- Balance. Enough said. It wouldn't be an issue for VF, but this isn't VF. They need to be adapted to DoA standards for the meta-game since they are in a DoA game. I expect the reverse to happen if a DoA character was in a VF game. Again this isn't a "git gud" issue because I'm not complaining that they are relatively more difficult execution wise, their tier placement, or whatever, but the VF characters don't follow the rules that the majority of the DoA characters have to follow which makes the VF characters stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not saying VF are too good or whatever, but they don't play like they are in a DoA game is the issue which I think is the least they could for taking up roster space.

- No VF character themes. I can understand this not happening in vanilla since vanilla didn't have music customization [it first came in the Vita game which was expanded in Ultimate and above] which brought the DoA series character, character select, training etc themes. Yet by now with LR with the amount of music added there is still no VF character themes. That means VF characters are still stuck with "STAGE" as their default theme so it was bad enough that they stuck out as a VF character in a DoA game, but not they stick as a Vanilla character as well. Yes I know you can change their themes which I'm sure most of us did, but that is just hiding the issue not resolving it.

- No taunts. Minor issue, but issue nevertheless. In a game where the characters have multiple taunts they didn't give the VF characters at least one single taunt by now in LR? I'm not asking for out of character shit like seeing Akira calling someone an idiot or whatever, but it's not that hard to add an animation [it's not like there was much effort being invested in these VF characters as the above issues addressed] throughout DoA 5 - DoA 5 LR that fits the character especially with all the recycled stuff at their disposal. If only this was an issue I wouldn't have cared to begin with, but this got added into a pile of other issues which makes the lack of taunts now look like a bigger issue then it should be.

I liked how they at least updated the outdated models so it wouldn't be too obvious the amount of corners being cut so props on them for that. This is coming from someone who was hyped when he first saw Akira fighting Kasumi in that trailer, but was disappointed how it was all handled. Wouldn't want VF guests to come back again if this similar result is gonna happen again.

Majority of the complaints made here are an issue with SEGA AM2 such as the character voices. I'm pretty sure Team Ninja woulda had no problem rerecording the voices or giving the characters "taunts" for instance. Everything that was done to the VF characters had to be approved by SEGA AM2 in order for it to be allowed.

Argentus

Exactly thank you. Agreed with everything.

Again my main complaint is how they simply weren't fully adapting them to DOA, instead trying to make them play like vf in DOA', which is a glaring difference.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wow.... people care about that stuff ?
Not me..... I see all the characters as nothing but hitbox models and it doesn't phase me one bit.... the gameplay is just too good.

Oh no, don't worry about the posts you see here. It's quite the plague here, only one that is actually valid is the voices. It sounds like it was recorded off of Audacity. The VF characters are renewed as temporary DOA characters since they have a base model and base motion of the cast. Even rumors that Jann Lee's base model was used to create the DOA Akira. Team NINJA received the rights to create an Akira and the other 3, they didn't drag the VF characters straight out of the VF game, it would not work and would cause balance issues..the layers of the game are different. Let Yu Suzuki do the characters and *then* you would see an actual clash. But fortunately, we should be glad he didn't actually helped do it.

There is no clash of the system. They would of been banned ages ago if they did such mistreat. They are not special and they deserve no special catering. And hitbox would be the last thing people should get into on this topic, do not get me started with that one. This thread needs a serious Mr. Clean if we are actually taking these posts serious lol.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Lol which version though? Human or cat?
gfs_88797_2_2.jpg

Stf-honey-amy.png

I say screw it, alter ego costumes like Lisa/LA mairposa and bass/Mr strong lol
-I say the human version. It was so funny. My cousin and I went to block buster,and he picked up this game. I asked why the fuck did he go and get that shit lol. Not knowing it was made by the same team as VF....I put the game into my Sega Saturn, and Candy/Honey was the first chick I picked up!!! The game was so freaking fast and jammed pack full of action. Actually, DOA didnt get to that type of level until DOA2!

Lulu

Majority of the complaints made here are an issue with SEGA AM2 such as the character voices. I'm pretty sure Team Ninja woulda had no problem rerecording the voices or giving the characters "taunts" for instance. Everything that was done to the VF characters had to be approved by SEGA AM2 in order for it to be allowed.
Including the Costumes and giving the female VF cast jiggle physics ?
If those guys are not going to make abother VF then they should atleast have the decency to let them cross over into DoA.
Oh no, don't worry about the posts you see here. It's quite the plague here, only one that is actually valid is the voices. It sounds like it was recorded off of Audacity. The VF characters are renewed as temporary DOA characters since they have a base model and base motion of the cast. Even rumors that Jann Lee's base model was used to create the DOA Akira. Team NINJA received the rights to create an Akira and the other 3, they didn't drag the VF characters straight out of the VF game, it would not work and would cause balance issues..the layers of the game are different. Let Yu Suzuki do the characters and *then* you would see an actual clash. But fortunately, we should be glad he didn't actually helped do it.

There is no clash of the system. They would of been banned ages ago if they did such mistreat. They are not special and they deserve no special catering. And hitbox would be the last thing people should get into on this topic, do not get me started with that one. This thread needs a serious Mr. Clean if we are actually taking these posts serious lol.
yeah I noticed that..... I remember when I was new to the series and I thought the VF characters had an unfair advantage...... now that I know how they really I beat them quite easily..... now if only there was something I could about Brad Wong. Hmmmm

Lulu

All right people... thats enough.... we're talking about fighting games here, not Adventure Games. Bad characters comes with the Territory.
Although I must say, DoA having a Female MMA and Wrestler is kinda fresh to me, usually its a dude using those styles as Evident by VF's Wolf Hawkfield and El Blaze. On the plus side they do have Vanessa, who is superior to Mila in every way, near as I can tell.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I was referring to the quotes, not the voices. I know the VA is horrible for most of characters.
The quotes are pretty stupid also: "I want a serious fight!", "You better take me seriously!". Some of the quotes make you want to rip your ears off compared to DOA's quotes.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD