Why do you guys hate DOA4¿

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The short answer to your questions is that they slowed down throw speeds from 4, 5, 6, or 7 frame start up throws to a range of 5-12 start up throws depending on character. This made it so you really couldn't punish holds with throws on reaction like you could in DOA2 and DOA3.

Even then, there are many times in DOA4 where the player can hold immediately after getting hit and actually recover from the hold before the attacking player recovered from the attack that stunned the holding player, granting them frame advantage for being hit.

AegisOrnus

The short answer to your questions is that they slowed down throw speeds from 4, 5, 6, or 7 frame start up throws to a range of 5-12 start up throws depending on character. This made it so you really couldn't punish holds with throws on reaction like you could in DOA2 and DOA3.

Even then, there are many times in DOA4 where the player can hold immediately after getting hit and actually recover from the hold before the attacking player recovered from the attack that stunned the holding player, granting them frame advantage for being hit.
You just solved, like, my largest mind fuck since first transferring from DOA2U to DOA4. Now I'm really upset at how DOA4 turned out. What a game...

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Yeah. I was one of the many that dropped the game early on when we realize how much it was screwed up. From the patches that screwed up the game, to the unplayable online.

Rubedood

Played the demo when I first got an Xbox. Hated it. I ended up getting it a year and a half later anyway, played it for a month and dropped it. It was also my first DOA game, which didn't help matters. But yeah, all the reasons I couldn't stand it have been brought up already.

It's also why I'm skeptical about the new one. They have a LOT to make up for, and I don't know if they're capable of it. I'm probably gonna get it anyway.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Doa4 wasnt a competitve fighter, and have been proven time and time again. With that said, no one wants doa to be tekken or vf, but a good fighting game that we can all enjoy.

DrDogg

I'm not saying DOA5 hasn't been through a truckload of horseshit debauchery because it most certainly has, but saying that DOA4 wasn't competitive is just a downright stupid thing to say.

Keep in mind, Team Ninja hasn't produced a single good game since Itagaki left.
Keep that in mind for as long as Tecmo decides to keep that subsidiary open.

You're in the wrong place if you think DOA4 was a competitive game. You're also in the wrong place if you feel Itagaki had a positive influence on the DOA series (from a gameplay standpoint).

Ooobe

My concern is that the idea of being accessible is misinterpreted to mean a nub <like me> should have a chance to beat a good player, and that's just not true. Good players should always win because of better fundamentals, knowledge and execution. Otherwise you get just another random guessing game. I think the emotional rollercoaster is common and to be expected, after what everyone went through with 4, some of the things we've heard lately and the fact that all we can do now is wait.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Ooobe, thats true. We as players do not want to go through another Doa4. Hopefully the completed game stands up to what we seen at gvn or even e3!

Stikku

You're in the wrong place if you think DOA4 was a competitive game. You're also in the wrong place if you feel Itagaki had a positive influence on the DOA series (from a gameplay standpoint).

There have been plenty of DOA4 tournaments. Are you senile or something? Just because it wasn't at Evo or SBO doesn't mean anything, considering no DOA has ever been at an SBO or an EVO. Actually, DOA4 was at EVO2006, but it really really doesn't matter cause Evo has also catered to Super Smash Brothers and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. DOA plays differently from other fighters, and people need to realize that instead of constantly pushing the idea that it should just be Virtua Fighter with different characters and 5 Kagemaru's.

But look what we have now, the very concept of free-step-dodging, which this DOA fansite so aptly took it's name after, is missing in DOA5, and replaced with command-sidestepping.

Either you are just flat out bad at playing DOA, or you'd rather just play some other game.

And your comment about Itagaki is unfounded in totality.

Then again, maybe what you were getting at is, If I actually enjoyed the DOA series, I shouldn't be here?

I can deal with that.

PhoenixVFIRE

There have been plenty of DOA4 tournaments. Are you senile or something? Just because it wasn't at Evo or SBO doesn't mean anything, considering no DOA has ever been at an SBO or an EVO. Actually, DOA4 was at EVO2006, but it really really doesn't matter cause Evo has also catered to Super Smash Brothers and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. DOA plays differently from other fighters, and people need to realize that instead of constantly pushing the idea that it should just be Virtua Fighter with different characters and 5 Kagemaru's.

But look what we have now, the very concept of free-step-dodging, which this DOA fansite so aptly took it's name after, is missing in DOA5, and replaced with command-sidestepping.

Either you are just flat out bad at playing DOA, or you'd rather just play some other game.

And your comment about Itagaki is unfounded in totality.
DOA4 only had tournaments and was a part of all those things like CGS etc.. because it was the ONLY fighter on the system at the time. DOA4 is not competitively sound in any shape or form, I suggest you don't even bother with this argument because just about everyone will disagree. Just agree to disagree if you don't think so, it will save everyone a headache and help to not derail the thread.

Stikku

DOA4 only had tournaments and was a part of all those things like CGS etc.. because it was the ONLY fighter on the system at the time. DOA4 is not competitively sound in any shape or form, I suggest you don't even bother with this argument because just about everyone will disagree. Just agree to disagree if you don't think so, it will save everyone a headache and help to not derail the thread.
DOA in Dallas.
Get some money, travel to texas, stop feeling like no one wants to play your game because you think it's shitty, cause it isn't.

Edit: It's thanks to DOA in Dallas that many DOA american players got sent to Japan to try out Dead or Alive: Dimensions and discuss DOA with Yosuke Hayashi.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
DOA4 is largely considered to be a disgrace to a major part of the FG community. Now, you can keep on pressing the issue with people, but you're going to either get ignored or not taken seriously at all.

And Itagaki certainly didn't understand how to make a fighting game. Sure, the NG action games were awesome, but DOA was always poor man's VF.

Stikku

DOA4 is largely considered to be a disgrace to a major part of the FG community. Now, you can keep on pressing the issue with people, but you're going to either get ignored or not taken seriously at all.

And Itagaki certainly didn't understand how to make a fighting game. Sure, the NG action games were awesome, but DOA was always poor man's VF.

I dunno man, It's hard to not be taken seriously when you speak the truth.

I have never even heard of a single soul disliking DOA for any mechanical or technical matter until DOA5 was announced, so you might want to check what hype train you're riding and get off at the next possible stop.

I'd say you're the one who isn't being taken seriously if all you have to say is "DOA is a poor man's VF" and "Itagaki doesn't know what he is doing". He certainly understood it enough for you to become a fan of DOA and post on this site, or to incite whatever lies you're aiming to spread.

Regardless, this topic isn't about DOA4.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Okay, I see what you're trying to do here.
emot-byewhore.gif

DrDogg

DOA in Dallas.
Get some money, travel to texas, stop feeling like no one wants to play your game because you think it's shitty, cause it isn't.

Edit: It's thanks to DOA in Dallas that many DOA american players got sent to Japan to try out Dead or Alive: Dimensions and discuss DOA with Yosuke Hayashi.

I also heard that she kicks high. Truth or ugly rumor?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Those changes to doa was never the problem. If you do some research on the forums, you will see the exact reasons as to why doa4 is frowned upon.

Stikku

I'm sorry but I wont be doing that. I have 7 years of DOA4 knowledge to know it couldn't be true. I'd really like to know what exactly people said/implied that they disliked about DOA4 though, other than it didn't have as many costumes as DOA2U!

Since this seems like topic derailment, lets switch back over to the topic of "Apprehensions about DOA5".
I share some of that apprehension, that's all I aimed to say - though not for many of the reason's MeanMrMustard posted.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD