Why not just merge VF Completely with DOA?

Argentus

Was just seeing people asking for more VF characters because we aren't likely to see a new VF....and it got me thinking.

Why not go the King of Fighters route and just merge the lesser (In popularity) franchise with the others?

I'm not a fan of bs like Sarah, but looking overall, I think it might be better to just bring in the full VF Roster as part of DOA permanently, rather than hoping for a new VF game that likely won't be too popular anyway.

(Sides, for crossovers, I'd still love KoFxDoA :D)

Thoughts?

KwonJigglypuff

VF less popular than DOA ?
Why should it be this way, and not the other way ?
Oh you mean Tecmo should buy the franchise because Sega needs money ?

synce

I think DOA and VF are equally niche, except Tecmo can afford to keep rereleasing DOA5 because of all the DLC. Even back in vanilla days they mentioned they were making millions in profit... anyway I wouldn't mind a complete crossover but I'd use VF5 as a base and just bring in TN for character modeling

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Was just seeing people asking for more VF characters because we aren't likely to see a new VF....and it got me thinking.

Why not go the King of Fighters route and just merge the lesser (In popularity) franchise with the others?

I'm not a fan of bs like Sarah, but looking overall, I think it might be better to just bring in the full VF Roster as part of DOA permanently, rather than hoping for a new VF game that likely won't be too popular anyway.

(Sides, for crossovers, I'd still love KoFxDoA :D)

Thoughts?
-NO, NO.....HELL NO!!!! The VF characters in DOA5 was just a brilliant marketing ploy, to prove without any doubt that The DOA series was competitively up to par With the like of VF & TK! I applaud team Ninja for their craftiness. They single handedly shut the rest of the FGC the fuck up!!!!! Its a total catch 22. You cant say DOA5 is shallow without saying the VF characters are shallow. And we know no one in the FGC will ever down play the depth of the VF characters! Also, their inclusion virtually forced the hands of all competitive players to compare/contrast Both the VF & DOA cast and employ strats & tactics from a higher level of thinking.

-With that said, DOA6 will not need any VF guest characters, and can just be a pure DOA Fighter!

Star Outlaw

I'd rather they just do a crossover. VF might not be as popular, but it has firmly established itself as its own franchise for over 20 years now. While the two games do play similarly, VF does have its own intricacies and mechanics that make it distinct. If Tecmo bought the franchise and made their own Virtua Fighter games that would be...slightly better, but definitely not what I would want.

Aside from all that, VF does till have its own storyline, however marginal it may be, and mashing the two together would undermine the stories on both sides. Theoretically, if this was to happen, I guess you could say that Donovan is either a part of or an enemy of J6, and that J6 is also looking to either take control of or eliminate DOATEC, with a desire to implement their research into their own Dural project. You'd still end up with basically two separate storylines in one game, however similar, and DOA already has multiple subplots.

Another thing to consider is that VF has always been a lot more grounded that DOA. For one thing, Dead or Alive already shares a universe with Ninja Gaiden, which is full of super powered demons and ninjas and what not. VF's fighters and mechanics have leaned more towards the realistic side of things. However, Virtua Fighter does have Dural, and the VF pachinko gmes actually show that its world may be a bit more fantastic than at first glance. There's one part where Akira seems to fight some Oni, though that my have been a dream. We also see some J6 soldiers that look like cyber ninjas.

Overall, merging both series is plausible, and might actually work with enough tweaking, but I think keeping them separate is better, and a big crossover game would be a good compromise.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Please no. Stop trying to kill 3D fighters! Virtua Fighter is the grandfather of 3D fighters and thus should be its own thing! The only thing I'd want is if Team Ninja made the models, because Akira, Pai, Sarah, and Jacky have never looked better. If Team Ninja would develop another VF with their graphical style, but Sega developed the system mechanics, that would be ideal. Team Ninja knows how to make a pretty game with content that the fans want (like Story Mode and Arcade Mode with character endings), but Sega knows how to make a better fighting system. They should team up together and develop the next Virtua Fighter. Don't kill off a franchise, but there could be a way to reinvent it.

CFW

These are two completely different games that operate nothing alike. I'm pretty sure the majority of the Japanese fanbase dislikes how accessible FS is + players that just hate how DOA plays at a high level, so that wouldn't be smart for either side.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
There's still quite the fan base for VF. I remember when I was playing DOA5 vanilla, some VF fans were mad that Akira and Pai's moves had been 'dumbed down' to fit the needs of the DOA system, and refused to play DOA for that reason. It's hard to even do a cross over of DOA x VF because you have to try find that balance that both sides of fans will agree with.

David Gregg

I'm not going to go into detail with my thoughts about the VF characters in this game since I realize there are many people here who use and enjoy them so I'll just say I hope that you VF fans eventually get VF6 and leave it at that. XD

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Considering that Sega is currently under life support reducing themselves to strictly the mobile market, and VF is in dire need of casual appeal these days in order to achieve the same level of financial relevance it has with Virtua Fighter 2... I'm personally okay with this. Despite being a solid game in its own right and being particularly hailed in Japan as the 3D fighter of choice, that alone isn't cutting the mustard these days for VF to thrive as an IP in the rest of the world. It needs more casual appeal and personality to go with it, which it's lacking compared to other 3D fighters.

Besides, if DOA had to compromise its casual appeal in order to appease the competitive players and it turned out successful, Sega should have no problem doing the latter for VF in order to stay afloat financially in these dire times they're in.

Just to be on the safe side though and not provoke an angry mob in the thread, they should test the waters with a full-on crossover, while also giving a well thought-out narrative to breathe new life into the story of VF while also enriching DOA's characters in ways we haven't seen before. If people like it enough, it just might stick. Besides, TN's made it a point VF was a huge inspiration for their game, and seeing AM2 and TN actually work together to actually merge the gameplay and storylines in a big way has been something I've dreamed of for years.

NightAntilli

Doesn't matter what people say... The VF fighting system is still vastly superior to the DOA fighting system. Problem with VF is that it lacks the flashiness of DOA, which makes it less interesting to watch to people who don't know what's going on.

I wouldn't want to fuse the franchises. A crossover title would be fine, although I'd prefer they'd use the VF system rather than the DOA system.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I believe Shimbori did say he was interested in the crossover, maybe that's why he decided to add the additional characters from vanilla to ultimate. Maybe in DoA6, and DoA6: 'ultimate' he will add additional VF characters until the character roster becomes a crossover.

David Gregg

Besides, if DOA had to compromise its casual appeal in order to appease the competitive players and it turned out successful, Sega should have no problem doing the latter for VF in order to stay afloat financially in these dire times they're in.

VF characters =/= competitive DOA. Just want to clarify this point. Not to mention Team Ninja shouldn't add those characters in order to take "pity" on the franchise.

Doesn't matter what people say... The VF fighting system is still vastly superior to the DOA fighting system. Problem with VF is that it lacks the flashiness of DOA, which makes it less interesting to watch to people who don't know what's going on.

Yeah...I'll stick with the inferior version. Without the counter system it wouldn't be DOA.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
VF characters =/= competitive DOA. Just want to clarify this point. Not to mention Team Ninja shouldn't add those characters in order to take "pity" on the franchise.
I don't recall saying TN should take pity on the franchise...

David Gregg

I don't recall saying TN should take pity on the franchise...

The VF franchise has a lot more to gain merging with DOA then the other way around. DOA5 is a very successful game that continues to grow strong and that will happen regardless of if VF characters are in it or not.

Sega should focus on VF6 rather than bump up DOA 6's roster to 50 something fighters (and that's not even including if TN wants to add any new DOA fighters of their own). It's way too excessive especially for people who don't like VF.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
The VF franchise has a lot more to gain merging with DOA then the other way around. DOA5 is a very successful game that continues to grow strong and that will happen regardless of if VF characters are in it or not.

Sega should focus on VF6 rather than bump up DOA 6's roster to 50 something fighters (and that's not even including if TN wants to add any new DOA fighters of their own). It's way too excessive especially for people who don't like VF.
Who said anything about throwing in the entire roster, let alone having that many?

If anything, it would be DOA's roster that would be cut to at least match that of VF's relatively smaller cast. @Star Outlaw had the right idea with his concept trailer he posted some time ago.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD