Why not just merge VF Completely with DOA?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Argentus did...(see title of the thread). -_-
I see.

Be that as it may, my suggestion still stands. I would prefer to keep the roster small at first with the experimental crossover, then work toward roster expansion (preferably original characters to complement the permanent unity of both franchises) if the project is successful both casually and competitively. Either way, going all in with the entire roster of both franchises at the start (especially with a count as unbalanced as this) is unreasonable.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
No, it has guest characters like quite a few fighters before. WB Games isn't developing a horror icon fighting game so far as we know but Freddy Krueger showed up in Mortal Kombat 9. Namco Bandai isn't crossing over into Star Wars but a few Star Wars characters popped up in SCIV. Same deal here.

I hope guest characters disappear completely or are just platform specific so they aren't available in tournament play.

PhoenixVFIRE

I personally would not like that at all and I think the games should stay separate.

Also, didn't Hayashi or Shimbori speak of some other character from another game that they really wanted as a guest in DOA, but decided not to because Akira was too much like this person or something? I forget the character's name.

Argentus

I personally would not like that at all and I think the games should stay separate.

Also, didn't Hayashi or Shimbori speak of some other character from another game that they really wanted as a guest in DOA, but decided not to because Akira was too much like this person or something? I forget the character's name.
the guy from Shenmue.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I actually dont want a DOA6 I want the next game to be DOAxVF...

And contrary to whats been said, the games are far more similar than the just the button layout..
Lets see.

-buttons
-free cancel
-tracking/nontracking
-negative frames on normal hit
-crushing
-triangle system.. yes vf has it too .. especially when throws lose to strikes.
-environmental threat
-wake up kicks
-4 different knockdown states
-stagger escaping
-stuns causing guaranteed followups (faints, sitdowns)
-string delay
-frame trapping
-offensive sidesteps
Should I go on?

The games are infact more similar than different. More so than ever before in DOA5.

Not to mention.. the VF cast is just awesome.. the men are actually manly ... So that aspect would get balanced too.

And we can't deny the awesome job TN did integrating the 4 characters we got.

I'm all for the merge.. as long as we stay on the 5U/LR system. Or a slightly updated version from it..

Last edited:

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
d3v said:
Horrible example when every competitive fighting game has a version of this.

Not when u consider the fact that the triangle system in both is identical...

When you look at say soul calibur or tekken .. you can throw a strike in its startup frames.. this does not apply to doa and vf. Unless u have an OH.. which lose to throws.

I would like to add that another similarity is that in both games you cannot throw an opponent in stun. (Unless its a hit throw.. such as sarah's FL 2K.T or tina's K.T) . Which is again different from SC and Tekken

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
the guy from Shenmue.

The reason for this was not because it was similarities from Akira. It's the fact that they asked for a character from a game that hasn't been renewed in quite a long time. There was talks about Shenmue now but during DOA5's initial release they had little to no hope in plans for a remake/sequel to Shenmue so asking for a character like that is a bit....odd. Whereas you ask for a character from an ongoing series which makes sense in a way. (If the series keeps going.)

Me personally? I don't care if they stop guest characters are not but I truly believe guest characters brings a sort of extra new shine/hype to the game that is completely different from a standard type of hype. I find console exclusive guest characters extremely ridiculous and pointless to the point where most are banned from tournament play for honest reasons, that alone kills hype. (Unless it's something like Nicole which makes sense to be console exclusive.) From what I see? I was checking up magazines and watching Nicovideos of even Sega promoting DOA5 in convention centers. That's a big 1up for supporting a game that's not even made by Sega...simply because VF characters are in there(?) most likely. Now my issue with crossovers "games" is the fact that most of them end up getting rushed or just overall don't end well. Particularly FGs.

This is how I feel:

VF characters coming into DOA with their own DOA model or vice-versa depending on characters - Great stuff. Hope they bring more.

A **actual DOAxVF** game with a big roster and a whole new mechanic specifically made for it - (Worried.) game may become rushed and not balanced..I'll try it out if it comes true but I won't get my hopes up with it being good.

Last edited:

Argentus

The reason for this was not because it was similarities from Akira. It's the fact that they asked for a character from a game that hasn't been renewed in quite a long time. There was talks about Shenmue now but during DOA5's initial release they had little to no hope in plans for a remake/sequel to Shenmue so asking for a character like that is a bit....odd. Whereas you ask for a character from an ongoing series which makes sense in a way. (If the series keeps going.)

Me personally? I don't care if they stop guest characters are not but I truly believe guest characters brings a sort of extra new shine/hype to the game that is completely different from a standard type of hype. I find console exclusive guest characters extremely ridiculous and pointless to the point where most are banned from tournament play for honest reasons, that alone kills hype. (Unless it's something like Nicole which makes sense to be console exclusive.) From what I see? I was checking up magazines and watching Nicovideos of even Sega promoting DOA5 in convention centers. That's a big 1up for supporting a game that's not even made by Sega...simply because VF characters are in there(?) most likely. Now my issue with crossovers "games" is the fact that most of them end up getting rushed or just overall don't end well. Particularly FGs.

This is how I feel:

VF characters coming into DOA with their own DOA model or vice-versa depending on characters - Great stuff. Hope they bring more.

A **actual DOAxVF** game with a big roster and a whole new mechanic specifically made for it - (Worried.) game may become rushed and not balanced..I'll try it out if it comes true but I won't get my hopes up with it being good.

To be fair, he was in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing a while back.

Hell, my Xbox avatar is wearing Ryo's jacket lol.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
To be fair, he was in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing a while back..

That's why isn't it?

It's a business standpoint to ask for a character that may not intrigue certain fans. VF is more spread in a way than Shenmue if you think about it. It's easier to add a character from it's own company to another game within the same company.

Last edited:

Star Outlaw

Not when u consider the fact that the triangle system in both is identical...

When you look at say soul calibur or tekken .. you can throw a strike in its startup frames.. this does not apply to doa and vf. Unless u have an OH.. which lose to throws.

I would like to add that another similarity is that in both games you cannot throw an opponent in stun. (Unless its a hit throw.. such as sarah's FL 2K.T or tina's K.T) . Which is again different from SC and Tekken

I kind agree, but also disagree with COW on this. The games do have many similarities at their core, but at a certain point they start to feel really different. Just from my semi-casual perspective, simply having holds for every character at every level AND low throws for every character AND the stun system in which you can perform a hold while stunned gives DOA a very different pace from VF. The two games have different mind games due to different tools. VF has more complex sidestepping mechanics and throw escaping, but DOA's entire stun game is it's own mind game, along with the added layer of universal low throws. The flow of a match and the amount of tension at a given time varies greatly. There's also the differences in physics at play, which makes DOA much more juggle heavy.

In VF a match starts slow but with a lot of tension, waiting to see who makes the first big mistake, and when that happens there's a big burst of energy when the punishment comes. In DOA, there's always some tension, but not as much since a mistake doesn't always lead to big damage, but it builds up during the stun game, because if you don't stop the attacker in time, you will eat a good bit of damage. So, generally speaking, this gives DOA a bit of a faster pace and more energetic flow, but not a lot of buildup. Virtua Fighter creates more tension for a bigger release, but it's tension isn't as constant as Dead or Alive. You're fairly "safe" in VF until you make a fatal mistake, while in DOA you're in more constant danger of getting hurt due to holds, but the damage is less lethal. Even the stages reflect this; VF has instant win/loss ringouts, but in DOA hitting a danger zone isn't a guaranteed KO.

I feel that a crossover game should lean more towards a less realistic angle, so I think it should have more similarities to DOA in general, but I would want VF elements too. What I think would be interesting is if they managed to combine these systems. Give it DOA's Holds, Stuns, and maybe Low Throws and floatier juggling, but also VF's sidestepping and throw escaping method along with better punishment opportunities. I almost wish there was a way to bait someone into throwing you when you're in a stun state. They're expecting you to do a hold, and you know this, but you turn it into a throw escape and turn the tables that way. It would be risky of course since you would still need to guess the correct input, but it would make for another way of making a comeback. Attacking once you're out of stun might be safer, but deliberately baiting out a throw escape could lead to big damage.

Maybe have multiple stage levels but also ringouts, so once you get to the lowest level of certain stages there's nothing but a ringout below. Or maybe even make it like Soul Calibur where some ringouts lead to new levels of a stage, but I think the former method fits VF and DOA better.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor

And contrary to whats been said, the games are far more similar than the just the button layout..
Lets see.

-buttons
-free cancel
-tracking/nontracking
-negative frames on normal hit
-crushing
-triangle system.. yes vf has it too .. especially when throws lose to strikes.
-environmental threat
-wake up kicks
-4 different knockdown states
-stagger escaping
-stuns causing guaranteed followups (faints, sitdowns)
-string delay
-frame trapping
-offensive sidesteps
Should I go on?

The games are infact more similar than different. More so than ever before in DOA5.

Not to mention.. the VF cast is just awesome.. the men are actually manly ... So that aspect would get balanced too.

I'm all for the merge.. as long as we stay on the 5U/LR system. Or a slightly updated version from it..

A groove system would make more sense to me that highlight those subtle differences between VF and DOA.

David Gregg

Honestly I think the smartest collaboration would be with Tekken. Granted it would be even more work with that crossover b/c of mechanic differences but it's the hottest 3D fighter out there right now and it could really bring in some good attention to DOA.

Shinko Li

I'm all for a crossover, honestly I had really no idea of Virtua Fighter's existance before. I feel like TN did a great job of really exploiting and capturing the hell out of these 4 characters. They look good. They play well, I'd love a crossover. I even recently tried virtua fighter , and loved ot because of TN introducing to me. It made me find Pai, and I developed a huge love for the character. I do agree with EmperorCow though, I'd rather not see a doa6 , at least not just yet. I'd LOVE to see a VFxDOA collab. I also feel like doa5 has been the most experimental thing TN has ever done. The character changes, the guest characters, the stages, the changes, etc. I also like the customization in VF! Just imagine , what if TN did something similar? Anyway, I'd love to see a collab.

NightAntilli

Lets see.

-buttons Yes
-free cancel Yes
-tracking/nontracking VF has linear, half-circular and full circular. DOA does not really make a distinction between half and full circular.
-negative frames on normal hit VF Also has a quite a few moves that are + on normal hit and even on block. Most that are negative on normal hit are actually lows, while DOA has that stupid -5 on normal hit P that makes no sense.
-crushing Yes
-triangle system.. yes vf has it too .. especially when throws lose to strikes. Yes, but it's Block> Strike, Strike> Throw, Throw> Block. DOA although having block, has advertised to have holds instead of blocks in the triangle system. Having holds although present in VF are character dependent rather than a system mechanic. And you can't hold in stun like DOA.
-environmental threat VF has ring outs and walls. That's it. More boring so DOA wins in that regard, visually anyway, but walls work as they should, which is to extend juggles rather than ruining them. VF also has multiple wall states that are not present in DOA. Wall splat, wall stagger, wall hit, wall slide. They all require a different strategy. And ring out is a ring out, not some 50/50 guessing BS like the cliffhanger.
-wake up kicks Yes
-4 different knockdown states Yes
-stagger escaping Yes
-stuns causing guaranteed followups (faints, sitdowns) Yes
-string delay Yes
-frame trapping Much better in VF than in DOA
-offensive sidesteps Yes but they work differently. Offensive sidesteps in DOA have specific moves to attack from. In VF it allows you to use ANY move you want, and you get additional frame advantage by hitting the opponent from the side. DOA lacks the side-hitting mechanic.
Should I go on? Yes please :p

See replies in red. DOA has one thing VF doesn't have, and that's environmental impact. Especially DOA5 with the tables, boxes, ceilings and so on. Other than that, VF has the advantage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD