Will we be able to mod things beyond costumes with PC version?

Argentus

No, I was referring to the notion that DOA5 mechanics (which are core mechanics, btw) are gimmicky, etc.
Well....get over it, because they are lol. Its turning what used to be a standard mechanic into a cutscene, two comeback supers, and an "kid mode" stun mechanic only really there to set up the slowass supers. Gimmicks. Game wouldn't lose anything with their removal. People may lose their preferred combos, but thats about it.

d3v

Well....get over it, because they are lol. Its turning what used to be a standard mechanic into a cutscene, two comeback supers, and an "kid mode" stun mechanic only really there to set up the slowass supers. Gimmicks. Game wouldn't lose anything with their removal. People may lose their preferred combos, but thats about it.
Game would need to be heavily retuned without critical burst.

Lower life to compensate for lower damage, more natural combos, more moves that put you into stuns like limbo stuns, etc.

Corvo792

Lower life to compensate for lower damage, more natural combos, more moves that put you into stuns like limbo stuns, etc.

Agreed. Not sure why Argentus thinks removing this would be good for the series? The original problem with the series (especialliy DOA4) is that there was such little reward for good setups.

Argentus

Agreed. Not sure why Argentus thinks removing this would be good for the series? The original problem with the series (especialliy DOA4) is that there was such little reward for good setups.
And the issue now is that there's too much reward for bad setups. I see a lot of strategies all just funneled down to "set up the critburst". we need a better balance than that. Critburst is the only "gimmick" mechanic that I'll agree can be argued as actually useful/necessary, but I don't think its good the way it is.

Do me a favor and try something. Try playing...while IGNORING the critbust mechanic. And tell me what you think.

I wound up in a similar situation with the Naruto Ultimate Storm games, after they added cancel dashes. People argued that its needed for combos and setups so you can't just run and spam projectiles, but then I had some people try playing WITHOUT cancel dashing, and lo and behold, so many more options, the game just OPENS UP, because the cancel dashes just override every other option in the game.

I'm not a fan of mechanics that funnel all strategies down to the same thing, so I wanna toy with it and see how to make it better, is all.

FatalxInnocence

Do me a favor and try something. Try playing...while IGNORING the critbust mechanic. And tell me what you think.

You are aware that people are forced to do this anyway, right? It's kind of hard to land critical bursts consistently... unless the person doesn't know how to a) stagger escape or b) counter. Critical bursting in itself is risky. Most people will counter for the critical burst at that point in the stun threshold, so you have to either launch or throw them.... so you are essentially playing the game without it even with it as an option. Just felt the need to point that out. >_>

Argentus

You are aware that people are forced to do this anyway, right? It's kind of hard to land critical bursts consistently... unless the person doesn't know how to a) stagger escape or b) counter. Critical bursting in itself is risky. Most people will counter for the critical burst at that point in the stun threshold, so you have to either launch or throw them.... so you are essentially playing the game without it even with it as an option. Just felt the need to point that out. >_>
Only the people who are smart about it. This is more about how I see everyone trying the same thing over and over. Power attacks I just dont like having comeback supers, and they seriously need to fix force techs to be something more than "attack low to completely nullify wakeups and recovery", but CRITBURSTS, I'm not a fan of because I see so many people just trying to do critburst combos.

If you got rid of it, it wouldn't hurt the people who are good enough to not need to rely on it in the first place, but it would however force the lesser players to up their game. At least in theory.

You are right though i didn't think that response through, sorry, just woke up.

d3v

And the issue now is that there's too much reward for bad setups. I see a lot of strategies all just funneled down to "set up the critburst". we need a better balance than that. Critburst is the only "gimmick" mechanic that I'll agree can be argued as actually useful/necessary, but I don't think its good the way it is.

I wound up in a similar situation with the Naruto Ultimate Storm games, after they added cancel dashes. People argued that its needed for combos and setups so you can't just run and spam projectiles, but then I had some people try playing WITHOUT cancel dashing, and lo and behold, so many more options, the game just OPENS UP, because the cancel dashes just override every other option in the game.

I'm not a fan of mechanics that funnel all strategies down to the same thing, so I wanna toy with it and see how to make it better, is all.
I already mentioned in my post all the things that would have to change to make removing critical bursts viable.

All this just compensates for the lack of reward without critical burst.

Lower life and more natural combos also brings the game back, more in line with 3.1 which for many is still the gold standard for competitive play without critical burst.

Argentus

I already mentioned in my post all the things that would have to change to make removing critical bursts viable.

All this just compensates for the lack of reward without critical burst.

Lower life and more natural combos also brings the game back, more in line with 3.1 which for many is still the gold standard for competitive play without critical burst.
So are you saying it would be worth a shot to mod it that way?

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
the only thing i would be interested in is giving kasumi her c7 back from doa4 (my favorite costume of hers)

David Gregg

So are you saying it would be worth a shot to mod it that way?

I don't think you realize what a major undertaking this would be (and if it would even be worth it tbh). It may sound simple (remove CB's, give characters more natural combos, make it more like 3.1) but actually try and implement that in a game that has 34 characters. Each character of whom you need to have a thorough understanding of so that when you make those changes you don't screw or overpower them in a major way. Not to mention for it to gain popularity there has to be other players who aren't satisfied w/ the current gameplay and that's a lot less than what you're thinking.

Looking at the prime example of a game with heavily modded gameplay, Project M was created because fans felt like Brawl was a serious step back from Melee. Even with a team of project leaders, play testers, animators, etc... it took about 3 years worth of updated versions to finally release the full roster of characters, resolve most bug issues (a common problem when you mod a game) and have the gameplay reach a state where they were finally satisfied. And then think about how in SSB the characters' movesets are a fraction of what they are in DOA.

I'd stick to modding the menu layouts personally.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I don't think you realize what a major undertaking this would be (and if it would even be worth it tbh). It may sound simple (remove CB's, give characters more natural combos, make it more like 3.1) but actually try and implement that in a game that has 34 characters. Each character of whom you need to have a thorough understanding of so that when you make those changes you don't screw or overpower them in a major way. Not to mention for it to gain popularity there has to be other players who aren't satisfied w/ the current gameplay and that's a lot less than what you're thinking.

Looking at the prime example of a game with heavily modded gameplay, Project M was created because fans felt like Brawl was a serious step back from Melee. Even with a team of project leaders, play testers, animators, etc... it took about 3 years worth of updated versions to finally release the full roster of characters, resolve most bug issues (a common problem when you mod a game) and have the gameplay reach a state where they were finally satisfied. And then think about how in SSB the characters' movesets are a fraction of what they are in DOA.

I'd stick to modding the menu layouts personally.

^ That.

Project M is an amazingly well made community mod to correct an inherently flawed game and steer it in the right direction. However, the Smash community is much, much, much, much larger than our DOA community and that's the only reason Project M managed to actually be a thing, getting people on board with making it and having it become successful in the tournament scene.

While it would be cool to see something of the scale of Project M done with DOA5, the game is far from being anyway near as flawed as Brawl was and we simply don't have a large enough community to make a project like that worth the time it'd take to accomplish, anyway.

31gma

Hope Nexus Mods will add a client for DOA5:LR, they'd filter out those inappropriate mods plus make it easier for the average person to upload their desired mods rather than search for folders and replace files

AMR97

I don't expect Skyrim-like modding capabilities. Probably just costumes and some shiny ENB/SweetFx to boot.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD