Winter Brawl X: First Tournament Experience

JusTheBest29

Yo yo yo, JusTheBest here! Or UnholySerpents... Or JTB Serpents27... Eh, call what you wish I guess.

So at Winter Brawl X, I finally decided to make my offline debut. When I got there, me and my friends(I went as a part of a school field trip, don't judge me) were pretty excited to compete and see how well we'd do. I participated in DOA and BlazBlue, while my friends wanted to compete in SM4SH, KI, TTT2, and SC. Since I was on the main floor, I decided to look around and have casuals in other games such as Skullgirls, and Darkstalkers on arcade machines, it was from that point I knew that I CANNOT play on stick to save my life. But onwards to my DOA adventures.

While watching my friends play SM4SH, I noticed there was a lone DOA setup being played by @Fullmetal (aka Blackmoonrisingx) and a friend of his. I decided to watch for a while until Blackmoon passed me a controller. I played his friend and lost horribly. I always knew of how it would take a while to get used to playing offline and playing on the monitors but I didn't expect it to be that devastating. After a while I had a long set with Blackmoon right after and I started to feel more in tone with playing on the monitors, although the set ended in I believe 15-7 Blackmoon's favor, nonetheless I felt a bit better about how I was playing.

I also played a few games against an opponent who was also in my pool named Blk Patriot, who mained Tina, and I had a good set with him as well, making me feel even more assured as to how I might do in the tournament.

Tournament time comes, I check in with @Katsu Hayami the entire time to see who my opponents are, and I win my first match by default, as my opponent didn't show. Second match is against Blk Patriot which I managed to win and advanced. Next match makes me panic as its against Blackmoon, and it was streamed so it made me even more nervous. As soon as I got up there, all that training on the monitors turned to nothing and I dropped every combo, looking back on it made me cry a bit, and I end up losing. As soon as I lost I told him "If anyone put me in loser's, I'm glad it was you." Now in the loser's bracket, I tried to keep a cool head and go on.

My loser's run was kinda short, but for my next match against another Tina named Metsy, I win in a close set I had to clutch it out for. And then Katsu tells me I fight @LordXav1er on stream. Just like with Blackmoon I panic while playing drop all my combos, and miss punishes (sensing a trend here?), And I ultimately lost, getting eliminated from the tourney. After beating me, Xav1er says "4th in pool, pretty good for a first timer", I take these words to heart and it made me feel accomplished. So in the end my record was 3-2. My only regrets are not winning a match on stream and not talking to many people while I was there.

Coming home, I tell all my friends about my experience and they said I did great and that everyone was rooting for me in the stream and all. That made me smile as I thought I let a few people down. But overall, I'm glad I came and didn't go 0-2 like I thought I would lol. I'm definitely going to attend more tournaments in the future and I hope to see some of you there, Summer Jam or ECT might be the next one I go to.

Some shoutouts-
Blackmoonrisingx - Being the first person I actually met at the tournaments, helping me get used to the monitors and giving the awesome " I'm a Fighter" necklace and Terumi and Hazama pins. Oh and I also kinda failed for kicking people's asses in Blazblue, did pretty bad lol.
LordXav1er - Making top 8, and finally playing and meeting you offline as the words of kindness you gave after eliminating me.
@LightSonic (NoctTengu) - Congrats at making Top 8 man, unfortunately I wasn't there to see it, but I heard you did well, keep up the good work man.
AeroUsagi - Despite not competing, you were always there right next to me for support whenever I needed it, giving me more confidence along the way and congratulating me after it was all over. Also trust me, I got you next time we play DDR lol.
Everyone in stream that was supporting me- Sorry I didn't win a match on stream and all but it was nice to know that you all had my back spiritually.
PSN Buddies - You guys know who you are, thanks for everything you guys have done for me to help me get better as a player and giving me motivation to always try my best.
And lastly you - For reading this long mess of a post lol.
Without you all I probably wouldn't be where I am today, so thank you all very much! Until next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_173322.jpg
    IMG_20160228_173322.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

LightSonic

Glad to hear you had a great experience at your first tournament! And, thanks! You should've seen the matches! I remembered that you were there on Saturday, but I never actually saw you. lol Maybe because I was always busy doing something like talking and watching matches.

But, yeah hope to see you at future events, man! Offline can take some getting used to if you're used to playing online a lot and on a laggy TV/monitor. Even with all that though, you still did good going 3-2 at your first tournament.

Last edited:

JusTheBest29

I'm glad I was the one to make your first tourney experience an awesome one! :)
Haha, thanks man, it's mainly thanks to you that I had so mjch fun while I was there.
Glad to hear you had a great experience at your first tournament! And, thanks! You should've seen the matches! I remembered that you were there on Saturday, but I never actually saw you. lol Maybe because I was always busy doing something like talking and watching matches.

But, yeah hope to see you at future events, man! Offline can take some getting used to if you're used to playing online a lot and on a laggy TV/monitor. Even with all that though, you still good going 3-2 at your first tournament.
I would've loved to be there for Top 8 but my friends didn't want to go back to the hotel and money would have been issue thanks to travel. And I was the guy with the blue camouflage hoodie and big grey coat lol, I didn't really interact with many people while I was there.
Was nice to meet and finally play you offline! I knew you would do work man and was happy you made it to me overall in our pool!

My first tournament I went 0-2 horribly so think about that and keep improving for future events!

OSU!!!
Feelings are mutual man, but trust me I am getting revenge if we ever fight offline again. And you went 0-2 for your first time? That's extremely surprising.
My man Serpents! Very good post my man, you did well bro keep your head up and come back stronger bro.

Much love

Zakku
Thanks man, here's to hoping I do get better from here.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Very interesting tournament experience you had JusTheBest! Glad to see you make the leap to offline play. I can only see you doing better in the future, good luck!

PS: How many times did Blackmoon hit you with the shoulder in total...?

JusTheBest29

Very interesting tournament experience you had JusTheBest! Glad to see you make the leap to offline play. I can only see you doing better in the future, good luck!

PS: How many times did Blackmoon hit you with the shoulder in total...?
It was pretty fun and I hope I can do it again soon. Only time will tell what happens from here.

As to how many shoulders I got hit with uh.... I lost track after 5.... @Fullmetal were you counting?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD