A Discussion of sexualised design of male/female characters

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol I'm probably the only person who doesn't find her (specifically that costume) hot.

I wouldn't call her ugly but she's a definite "meh" to me.

Nope, you are not the only one. ;) I find the costume very trashy and apart from being super skimpy it doesn't offer much in the design department. It's very plain and uninspired. Add to that the exaggerated proportions all characters have (small heads, huge muscles, big hands and feet) and I can't really find her sexually attractive.

These costumes would have been nearly as skimpy but are actually much better designed:

biYnlJJ.jpg

tumblr_o0f4ojTFJp1s70s7yo1_1280.jpg

They are skimpy but also make Laura appear sporty and fun-loving (first one) or battle tested and badass (second one). The costume they chose looks however just slutty and silly.

Last edited:

Xhominid The Demon Within

I find it pointless. If a character is made for fanservice, why should it truly be a problem at all? You have these types of characters in other media as they are defined as only being badasses or nerds or whatever.

Last time I checked, Quiet isn't suddenly making all the other females in the series into objects and plenty of others see as a damn fine asset(no pun intended) whenever they bring her into a mission.

I can understand the disappointment but I honestly gotta draw the line when it comes to feminists being right on anything when it pertains to fiction...

Argentus

Nope, you are not the only one. ;) I find the costume very trashy and apart from being super skimpy it doesn't offer much in the design department. It's very plain and uninspired. Add to that the exaggerated proportions all characters have (small heads, huge muscles, big hands and feet) and I can't really find her sexually attractive.

These costumes would have been nearly as skimpy but are actually much better designed:

biYnlJJ.jpg

I really wonder why they didn't go with one of these...
That one with the jacket and ponytail would have been leagues better. and yeah like you said, the proportions are too monstrous to find her "hot".

I always found Laura in general a little too ridiculous and that outfit especially so even for Street Fighter and games around it's league.

Even if it's something a Brazilian woman would wear, it's not something you would wear in a fight unless you want to flash everyone...
I know this is coming from a Dead or Alive fan and Street Fighter overall is an anime fighter but damn. Ultimately I don't hate the outfit but I'm going to judge it in the same way people judge the overly fetishy and ridiculous costumes Dead or Alive tosses out in it's DLC and say that it's just too ridiculous.

Argentus

I always found Laura in general a little too ridiculous and that outfit especially so even for Street Fighter and games around it's league.

Even if it's something a Brazilian woman would wear, it's not something you would wear in a fight unless you want to flash everyone...
I know this is coming from a Dead or Alive fan and Street Fighter overall is an anime fighter but damn. Ultimately I don't hate the outfit but I'm going to judge it in the same way people judge the overly fetishy and ridiculous costumes Dead or Alive tosses out in it's DLC and say that it's just too ridiculous.

I haven't seen her in action but at least Elena's skimpy outfit made sense for her character and fighting style.

I haven't seen her in action but at least Elena's skimpy outfit made sense for her character and fighting style.

Elena's make sense because it seems like she is from an actual village in Africa, in which native tribes still dress like that. Laura really has no excuse because while it may be casual wear for Brazilians, it's horrible for a fighting game because it's literally as bad as most DLC DOA costumes that go completely fetishy because of how impractical it is and how gratuitous it is as well(Even R.Mika got an alt that isn't as ridiculous and it's freaking Rainbow Mika we are talking about).

Jadeinchains

biYnlJJ.jpg

They are skimpy but also make Laura appear sporty and fun-loving (first one) or battle tested and badass (second one). The costume they chose looks however just slutty and silly.

To be honest I actually like the look of her new outfit. But thee last outfit there with the blackbelt would have been the best one. Maybe its just the way its drawn though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A photo I took in Arkham Knight...

BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20151019012424.png

This is not from a cutscene but taken during normal gameplay. After you defeated her, you carry Harley Quinn around like that for a while. Considering her butt is normally covered by the skirt, it's really perfectly modelled from all angles. I checked. ;)

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I find it pointless. If a character is made for fanservice, why should it truly be a problem at all? You have these types of characters in other media as they are defined as only being badasses or nerds or whatever.

Last time I checked, Quiet isn't suddenly making all the other females in the series into objects and plenty of others see as a damn fine asset(no pun intended) whenever they bring her into a mission.

I can understand the disappointment but I honestly gotta draw the line when it comes to feminists being right on anything when it pertains to fiction...

its metal gear, there shouldn't BE any characters made purely for fan service. and while Quite doesn't make Meryl or The Boss any less awesome she is the sole representation of a female in MGS5 and its not a good one because she's such a poorly made character its not even funny.

its metal gear, there shouldn't BE any characters made purely for fan service. and while Quite doesn't make Meryl or The Boss any less awesome she is the sole representation of a female in MGS5 and its not a good one because she's such a poorly made character its not even funny.

How so to be frank? You are basically going insane and venting and forgetting that while she is basically Kojima's fetish, you are seriously not making yourself look any better by even remotely pretending that Kojima not hosting Metal Gear anymore as a GOOD THING. Basically, you are acting hysterical over something that honestly barely effects anything and we have no true idea where anything is supposed to lead up to considering how rushed MGS5 is...

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
How so to be frank? You are basically going insane and venting and forgetting that while she is basically Kojima's fetish, you are seriously not making yourself look any better by even remotely pretending that Kojima not hosting Metal Gear anymore as a GOOD THING. Basically, you are acting hysterical over something that honestly barely effects anything and we have no true idea where anything is supposed to lead up to considering how rushed MGS5 is...

Quite was just one of the things, the boss fights sucked, the villian sucked, Ocelot and Miller were utterly ruined, dynamic codecs were removed, music was completely forgettable, the protagonist was utterly boring and lifeless, no cut scenes, more than half of the missions in that were filler that had nothing to do with the plot, no memorable characters were introduced, etc... i could write a book of why MGS5 sucks as a metal gear game.

yeah it had great fucking gameplay and absolutely NOTHING i loved about Metal Gear.

Quite was just one of the things, the boss fights sucked, the villian sucked, Ocelot and Miller were utterly ruined, dynamic codecs were removed, music was completely forgettable, the protagonist was utterly boring and lifeless, no cut scenes, more than half of the missions in that were filler that had nothing to do with the plot, no memorable characters were introduced, etc... i could write a book of why MGS5 sucks as a metal gear game.

yeah it had great fucking gameplay and absolutely NOTHING i loved about Metal Gear.

And all that has to do with whatever the hell caused it to be rushed straight into oblivion with no improvements whatsoever aka Konami.

Her name is Quiet but I think Russian is going utterly insane over the fact that Quiet doesn't really gain the super huge character development most of the other female characters have because Quiet's actually work in the same way as the buddy system works for D-Dog and D-Horse. The few scenes otherwise do show more about her but not much.

But if anything, I ALWAYS found how people complained about the photo-synthesis stuff utterly bugfuck stupid and still do to this day.

No, don't try and quote Jim Sterling the dumbass, it's a fucking video game in a series that has never been fucking realistic. It's like complaining in Dead or Alive, Ryu doesn't bust his head along with his "hostage" whenever he does the Izuna Drop because realistically, he wouldn't survive either but who gives a shit, it's a game.

It makes even less sense considering Volgin was always capable of using Lightning, The Fear can literally turn invisible, The End is basically Quiet without his lungs being charred and many, many, MANY other supernatural phenomenon happening within the series itself...but people complain about this!? It's like people going full stupid whenever they see the upgraded scenes in MGS: Twin Snakes and completely ignore MGS2(which came out way before the remake of MGS) started having unrealistic shit happen in it too because "reasons".

Had to rant, it bugs me and still does.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
She's called Cidney in the Japanese version I think.

If I recall she was originally supposed to be FFXVs Cid which in English is her grandpa.

There seems to be lots of confusion regarding this. In English she (Cindy/Cidney) also refers to him (the real Cid) as "Papaw" or "Pawpaw" (however you spell that. XD) which is apparently Southern slang for grandfather. But in reality he is her father in the Japanese version, who also fought alongside Gladiolus' father and Cor at the side of Noctis' father in important past battles:

Official concept:
FFXV-ATR-Captures_09-19-15_003.jpg

I think the quick translations done for Duscae just totally butchered some aspects of the game's lore and characters. Noctis sounding like Batman (what they are now trying to change apparently), Ignis sounding like an arrogant prick (whereas he sounds proper but still likeable in Japanese) or Gladiolus being a bit too much on the grumpy side (whereas in Japanese he sounds much more upbeat and dorky.)
Prompto they got on point however in the English version. ;)

To stay on topic, is obviously pandering to the shonen-ai/yaoi loving crowd in several scenes just alone in Duscae also counted as sexualization?

tumblr_nlmxsgvJt41qcm0i5o2_r1_500.gif

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD