[Aug 18, 2012] I’m a Fighter World Championship: Round 2 (San Mateo, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyByHands

Man, Punishere's Leifang was... really great.
And, I liked Mystik. She may not be so "technical" and all that crap but, not everyone cares about that while trying to enjoy a stream. I thought she done a good job (along with Rikuto) other than saying Leefang even after Rikuto corrected it many times. And, why no shout out to FSD? Or did I miss it?
All in all, great stream... I wish I was there.

DForev

I'm pretty sure it was because he didn't realize Sarah's somersault kick is a launcher in DOA5, which is not the case in VF5FS. I was thinking the same thing too when i watched the match.

Overall, I enjoyed the tournament immensely. It was very exciting and fun to watch. Crazysteady impressed me greatly with his Sarah; she is beast!

Kudos to everyone involved.
This could just be me, but I'm thinking TN nerfed her Somersault kick back into a non-launcher. In one of those, I think balance videos, I believe Sarah did a couple of Somersault kicks that didn't lead into anything, unlike the build that had TN vs Dengeki (I believe). In fact I don't think I've seen a juggle after the somersault kick since that TN vs Dengeki build.

Having said that though, I was sad Crazy didn't use any Full Spin Heel Kicks into juggles like you can in VF5FS. Especially since her rapid kicks in flamingo are so unsafe (although Crazy adapted by throwing a lot of times). Of the three characters I saw him use, I think Tina was his best.

Of the overall tourney, Jann Lee looks dangerous (or at least RyuJin does), but I thought NinjaCW's Bass was a great counter to RyuJin. Unfortunately he lost to Punishere, but it was great to see LeiFang too anyway.

MeanMrMustard

Hey guys, just got back from SF and thought I'd give my impressions of the game.

First of all I'm REALLY liking it. It feels great, the SS system works well (although I didn't use it to it's potential at all), and it is much harder to hold out of stuns than it used to be. The only characters I used were Ayane, Bass, and Jann Lee, but I got to play against a few others. I think Sarah is either really good, or my lack of knowledge about her really got the better of me.

Let me give my thoughts on the characters I used:

Ayane: She feels ok but I never got the hang of her movement. She has a few strings that go BT or into a roll, but I never got a good feel for when to use them, and they felt like the opponent had an easy time of hitting her out of it. She doesn't do well in the stun game, as it takes a lot to CB! with her, and she only has a CB! from front turned, so you'd have to make sure you do a move that leaves you front facing when it's time to CB!.

She has some really good tools, such as her 11p. Although it has a long start up that can leave you BT if you are CH, it is +4 on block (I think), and gives you a nice crumple stun on hit. Also, her 3f+k, which is now neutral on block, and on CH and NH it gives a sitdown stun with a guaranteed BT4k launcher. But I noticed at the range that the move was most effective in DOA4, the follow up launcher was too far away to hit, so I guess you'd have to hit confirm and roll in for a mix up at those ranges.

Her old 4f+p has changed commands to 64f+p. This added direction may not seem like much, but it was the difference between me using it a lot and using it only sparingly. Her old 33p from DOA2 and 3 is back, and is, I believe, -4 on NH, and it still has the low follow up. Her CB is her old 66p from DOA2 and 3, but the command is now 6p+k.

Her cons, in my initial impressions, were that she was fairly unsafe. Her 6pk is now -7, instead of the -6 that it was in DOA4. This may only be one frame but it was immediately noticeable. I felt very afraid to attack with her as almost all of her moves felt like they had a lot of recovery on them, which made it hard to formulate any offense. The most effective strategy I found was playing a very heavy turtle style, using 3F+K to keep out, and her evasiveness to make opponents whiff (although I wasn't very good at that, getting hit out of spins often). Because I wasn't used to sticking with that strategy, I went back into a DOA4 style, fishing with 3p and trying to stun and mix up, I felt like it was rather difficult to be consistent with her. I do believe, though, that that was mainly due to my inexperience with her rather than the character design itself. Her damage also feels a bit low. I felt like she hit much harder in 4, and in 4 it was much easier to hit her BT PP6P-K juggle ender to get max damage + knockback. I felt myself using BT PP4PP7K instead just to be sure it hit.

All in all, I'd like to see her become a bit safer before launch, and be able to CB sooner in stuns.

Bass:
Bass was the character I used the second most, and I probably should have used him against RyuJin instead of Jann Lee. All I have to say is: Bass. Is. Back. He is very strong in this game, but he is not unstoppable, as he still has trouble against heavy rush down. He has a lot of GB attacks, and while they all aren't advantage, and some will probably become useless since they are the last hit of strings, it is a nice addition, and will help him formulate some kind of offense.

The ones that I found were 6f+k (-4), f+k (+ but don't remember the number), 236p (+4), last hit of 4ppp (+), last hit of 9pkp (+), 33pp (+) and running P, which I believe is safe. I'm sure there are more that I didn't find. The last hit of 3pp is easily see-able, but 4ppp can be mixed up with 4ppp+k, and 9pkp can be mixed up with 9pk2p. Not sure if that will matter, but I see a lot of potential in his GB game.

The best part of the new Bass is his pick up game. After some ground slams, most notably the 6kp juggle ender, Bass gets a free pick up that leaves him at either +13 or 14. This is where the fun starts, and where you can really decide to do anything you want. My mix ups from this were 33p, HCF command grab (does not give you a pick up but guarantees a ground stomp), the 9p string, mixed up between the low and mid BG enders, and 1p to stop stepping. This is going to be the crux of Bass' gameplay, and any Bass player should always be looking for an opportunity get into a position to get into this situation.

His full charged HCF combo throw was also very good, if you could land it. It didn't take very long to charge it up, and I used to when I thought my opponent would counter out of stun. After the first part, you get a chance to do the second part, which is the half circle from down to up motion. The timing is odd at first, but once you get it you won't miss it anymore. After this, I was able to do 9pk -> 6pk ->pick up, and against light weights 8k -> 9pk -> 6pk. The same combo also worked on mid weights, and would give you an auto tech situation from DOA4, but you would be around +twenty-something instead of the +13~14 you get from the pick up, but you would also be a bit further away. You can also decide to finish the throw, and Bass goes up in the air, catches his opponent, and piledrives them, much like Zangeif's ultra 1. To do it all it is pretty much like doing the Izuna Drop.

His CB! is 3p+k. It is very good since it is unholdable, and the opponent will just sidestep if they hold correctly. If you land it, you can either do 33p or 7k, which gives you either 9pk -> 6kp -> pick up, or 4pp -> 6kp against the wall.

I had a lot of trouble against heavy rush down from Sarah. This is somewhere it seems Bass will always struggle, but it only makes sense, as he is a slower character who must have good defense to get his offensive opportunities.

I won't really go over Jann since you all saw what he could do with RyuJin's stellar performance, and you saw how my Jann did when pitted up against his...

Overall, I'm really liking the direction of the game. It feels like the true evolution of DOA3 that DOA4 should have been. My main problem is that there may not be enough unholdable stuns, and it is far too difficult to land a CB!. I feel like you have to go too far into the stun threshold, and you have to make 1 or two more guesses than I would like. This makes them a bit risky, and I feel like they won't be a big part of high level play, and we will only see them in desperate situations where someone really needs the damage.

Punishere

Sorry I'm late but I wanted to thank everybody for coming out and watching on stream. Such an amazing event. I still can't get over how fun it was. As a Lei fang Fan myself I wanted show people what Lei fang could really do. There weren't many videos of good Lei Fang play. I tried my best to change that. So many people to shout out its crazy, but you guys know who you are. I may list key things I really enjoyed but all in all it was fun.

IceMage95

I only have one regret about the event: I didn't get to talk to any of the well known players! :( Hopefully there will be another IPL event somewhere in the Bay Area soon.

Allan Paris

I will follow suit and give my impression as well. The game feels great overall, from movement to the environments, if people payed attention to detail. Seeing the training mode first hand was a little overwhelming for me, I am not use to seeing so many options in training mode for DOA.The characters that I played with were Kasumi, Hayate, and Elliot.

Kasumi is different, the reason I really didn't play with her was because my muscle memory from DOA4 cannot co-exist with her new moves. That 33K is love, thanks TN for bringing that back, it's +11 on block. It pushes too far though to do anything with it. On CH or HCH she can put damage on the screen. I was spamming it to see the height on it. Fortunately for me my opponent got hit with it enough for me to see.

Overall, she plays and feels what I have been watching for the past several months; DOA4 Kasumi with new moves and old ones that came back. That is not a good thing when looking at Sarah, Bass, Bayman, Jann Lee, you should get the point by now. I am still going to put some time into her to flush what she can do completely. If she stays as is, she'll be my casual baby.

Hayate is suffering as well, I wish TN would've left his SS move alone. The step is still effective but it is toned down significantly. He too is unsafe, and his 4F+K in DOA4 is pretty much useless now. That whole dash deal he has is nothing special. He has a guard breaking H.punch from the dash, putting him at +7 but you can't do anything guaranteed from it. The mid kick (DOA4: 4F+K) still crushes highs if it catches them, if it is blocked he's at -15. He has a mid punch and a throw from the dash as well, but I didn't bother with neither one. His dash can be used to bait and punish wake-up kicks, him being able to cancel out of the dash does help.

His 6PK looks like a mid but in actuality, it's a high kick and not a mid kick. So he has the abilty to juggle with the string that ends with it along with the move itself. It also may be safe, in the pre alpha build it was -5. I don't recall being punished for it and the time I do remember someone trying to grab me after it, they ate his 8P for a CH launch. I am not 100% on the move being safe. His 9PP is a 2 in 1, the second punch sends the opponent back a good distance, so it can control space. But it is best used against a wall, for obvious reasons.

Overall, Hayate has is plagued like Kasumi, maybe a little worse off than her. Oh yeah, Hayate's DOA4 33F+P is completely gone in the current build.

Elliot, I only played him a little bit, just long enough for me to see that the kid is nice! Guaranteed hits from his parries, and when you bring in the mind game of him throwing you really don't want to hold too much against him. I'm sure everyone has seen his juggle potential. Elliot hurts on CH or HCH beware of that, at all times. I didn't really play with his holds how I wanted to, I was hung up on the fact that he can parry both mid and high options (separately of course) and get guaranteed love from it. I can foresee Elliot being a problem, especially for players who don't pay attention.

I can't say too much on Rig but, the guy is on some ill shit! TN if you are reading this, DO NOT change anything about his mid punch elbow that follows up into his mid kick knee. I greatly apologize for not knowing the notation. I didn't play as him but, I was almost one of his victims. I eventually figured out how to defend against it. Blocking this string and trying to mash out of it is a huge NO-NO (shit blocking it period), getting looped into it is a huge NO-NO, getting grabbed on HCT is a huge NO-NO! Rig makes you think, being put in closed quarters with him will not be good for quite a few characters.

Overall, if you can't SE extremely well, you better learn, like right now. Rig is not having it, not even a little. I pray that TN does not change that string.

I had a lot of fun at this tournament, possibly more-so afterwards. I got the chance to meet some more chill people, and I hope to meet more in the future.

R4712-VR88

Don't give up on Kasumi yet Allan. We still have months of trainning with her before we can just write her off! :]

Allan Paris

I don't know man, she's not stacking up how I'd like her too. But I will stick it out with her to see how she works.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Kasumi's damn 66KK. The second K has to be hit confirmed but can't be mashed :(. I believe you can do 33K after it, you do another 66KK into PP7KP+K.

Off of 7K6P+K you can do PP7KP+K also.

Based off of the combo video.

Renarism

If only I picked Tina for my first round with ryujin I might have actually stayed in the tournament... got close to knocking him out... None the less, I had a blast. It was nice meeting everyone -- I'm was disappointed it was on PS3 only for the tournament... I despised the controllers ;( -- Tina has a lot of changes I need to practice on! I love DOA5 and can't wait for the games launch!

To comment about CrazySteady -- He's decent, but I don't know what people seem to be raving about. I thought Silent Legend and ryujin were doing the best. Maybe it's because I play with crazysteady a lot, and normally beat him on DOA4. I had some offline casuals with him at the booths and his sarah wasn't really doing much against my Tina -- I caught on a lot of her strings begin with mid kick, or high punch/high kick and after that is was over. He did well though getting 4th.

Punishere, Still don't know how you adapted so quickly -- You're leifang was played beautifully ; )

IceMage95

If only I picked Tina for my first round with ryujin I might have actually stayed in the tournament... got close to knocking him out... None the less, I had a blast. It was nice meeting everyone -- I'm was disappointed it was on PS3 only for the tournament... I despised the controllers ;( -- Tina has a lot of changes I need to practice on! I love DOA5 and can't wait for the games launch!
I read online that it's possible to get a converter for a 360 controller to use on a PS3.

Renarism

I don't plan on purchasing the game for ps3. I don't even have a ps3 lol Thanks for that though, I can suggest that to some friends of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD