[Aug 18, 2012] I’m a Fighter World Championship: Round 2 (San Mateo, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMSWedge

I had a ton of fun at this event - even my fiance got pretty into it, though he doesn't know a thing about DOA. It's a much easier game to watch and understand than Starcraft though! :)

Good to see lots of old faces, and meet some new ones. Maybe next time I won't be such easy fodder. :p Also glad I can do dumb things that point out to the devs what needs to be fixed. ;)

When the game comes out, I'm hoping we can start up some local Bay Area play sessions for offline practice! No reason to get together only for tourneys... I think there are enough of us out here.

Renarism

Definitely, I'd love to have more bay area offline meet ups. I was surprised of the number of people who actually are not far from me at all who came to the tournament. We need to create a larger scene here.

SkatanMilla

Just wanna pop in and say congratulations to Ryujin, very impressive play!
I was already pinning Jann Lee as the strongest, or at least being up there, but I was not expecting to see someone utilizing him this well so early!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Definitely, I'd love to have more bay area offline meet ups. I was surprised of the number of people who actually are not far from me at all who came to the tournament. We need to create a larger scene here.

Amazing how it works when people go out to find others who share interests. Won't find anyone if everyone just sits at home and wonders why no one has knocked on their door yet. ;)

I had a ton of fun at this event - even my fiance got pretty into it, though he doesn't know a thing about DOA. It's a much easier game to watch and understand than Starcraft though! :)

Good to see lots of old faces, and meet some new ones. Maybe next time I won't be such easy fodder. :p Also glad I can do dumb things that point out to the devs what needs to be fixed. ;)

When the game comes out, I'm hoping we can start up some local Bay Area play sessions for offline practice! No reason to get together only for tourneys... I think there are enough of us out here.

Try to hit up the rest in the SoCal area: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-official-socal-doa-thread.576/page-2#post-28886 ;)

daman077c

Thats a nice compliment, did we come across each other online in DOA4 back in the day? (I'm Gunstar Red). You are likely already almost there but I want to encourage you to go - you are sure to learn a lot from good Lei Fang players like Nykko and you will be SO glad to play other people offline. I want to see Lei Fang repped well!

Yeah, I went; Dogg talked me into it. I don't think I came across you on 4; but I've seen the videos to know well enough that you and Punishere are two of the best (if not THE best) Leifang players out there today.

Speaking of this weekend, to Dr. Dogg - Yes, it was worth it. I think it'd have been even more worth it if I had hung out with Allen, Swoozie, Vanessa, Kayane and Legend for more of the night after the tournament; I ended up sitting at the Greyhound station until 6:15 in the morning twiddling my thumbs. >_>

Leifang got changed BIG TIME from 4; I'm no longer going to be able to do 6F+KP; as they've made it 6F+K,P+K, and the P+K has a delay to it. She's also got a unique parry (was it a parry) that could be done at the end of her punch strings by holding back on the last hit, and from there you could do a push-back throw or a number of attacks. I didn't see it used all that much, but again, there wasn't really a whole lot of time to really sit down with the game and strategize attacks. I did see how you could get her CB in three hits, though I don't see it getting used that much in tournament play, even though its lead-in is a sitdown stun, IIRC.

Anyhoo, it was nice meeting everyone, and the fun after wrapped everything up nicely, even if Allen and myself ended up walking several blocks off course in attempting to meet up with Rikuto and the rest of the gang. I had fun getting in early with my press credentials, and then played against Kayane for a good 20 minutes before doors officially opened. I had a bit of fun playing in the tournament, and then had a great time hanging out for a bit at the end of the night. I think that shot of whiskey I had (while everyone else had tequila) is still burning in my chest and making me shudder. :p All that said, I'll try to make an appearance at an east coast tournament next year (or sooner), if I've got the money. The experience was great. :)

DrDogg

Results:

1. RyuJin (Jann Lee)
2. Punishere (Leifang)
3. NinjaCW (Hitomi, Bass)
4. Crazy Steady (Sarah, Tina, La Mariposa)
5. Allan Paris (Kasumi, Hayate)
5. sWooZie (Kasumi)
7. CaliJared (Bass, Jann Lee, Ayane)
7. Silent Legend (Rig)

Thanks to everyone who came out and played at the event. Sorry I wasn't as available to talk to as I would have liked. I had my hands full getting the tournament underway and running smoothly.

We'll have one more coming your way next month. I'll post details as soon as they're available. I'm not sure if it will be an open event or not, but it will be broadcast live like the last two.

Does that stun at 3:08 not count as a sit down stun? A bit retarded to be in a stun like that and be able to hold out of it.

It's a sit-down stun, but not all sit-down stuns have the same advantage, and you can shake out of them to lower the advantage even more. Once players have more time with the game, they'll start to use only the guaranteed setups from sit-down stuns. However, there are some characters that don't get anything off sit-down stuns. Those characters are low tier... surprise, surprise.

I can't say too much on Rig but, the guy is on some ill shit! TN if you are reading this, DO NOT change anything about his mid punch elbow that follows up into his mid kick knee. I greatly apologize for not knowing the notation. I didn't play as him but, I was almost one of his victims. I eventually figured out how to defend against it. Blocking this string and trying to mash out of it is a huge NO-NO (shit blocking it period), getting looped into it is a huge NO-NO, getting grabbed on HCT is a huge NO-NO! Rig makes you think, being put in closed quarters with him will not be good for quite a few characters.

Overall, if you can't SE extremely well, you better learn, like right now. Rig is not having it, not even a little. I pray that TN does not change that string.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

The string you're referring to is 6PK, It definitely needs to be "fixed". As far as I can tell it's a glitch. I don't mind it being advantage on block, but when you fight someone who knows how to abuse that, you will understand that in its current state, that one move alone makes Rig seem top tier.

IceMage95

We'll have one more coming your way next month. I'll post details as soon as they're available. I'm not sure if it will be an open event or not, but it will be broadcast live like the last two.
So is there going to be another event before the launch party?

Allan Paris

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

The string you're referring to is 6PK, It definitely needs to be "fixed". As far as I can tell it's a glitch. I don't mind it being advantage on block, but when you fight someone who knows how to abuse that, you will understand that in its current state, that one move alone makes Rig seem top tier.

Ok, fair enough. That advantage must stay. Silent Legend did mention something about it being a glitch. He didn't go into details about it though. I for damn sure had fun playing the 3 matches against whatever the hell it is though.

Renarism

The Launch party in san francisco? If you find out if it's private or not can you please post it ASAP. I'd like to know so I can make plans to attend. <3

~Renarism

IceMage95

The Launch party in san francisco? If you find out if it's private or not can you please post it ASAP. I'd like to know so I can make plans to attend. <3

~Renarism
I remember Master posting something about it on TKPlayers. Apparently it's going to take place the day before the game launches (I'm assuming the NA launch date). I hope it's the weekend before or something because I definitely won't be able to make it if it took place on a weekday because of commuting and school. :(

DrDogg

I remember Master posting something about it on TKPlayers. Apparently it's going to take place the day before the game launches (I'm assuming the NA launch date). I hope it's the weekend before or something because I definitely won't be able to make it if it took place on a weekday because of commuting and school. :(

Details are not available yet, but it won't be on the 24th. It will likely be a weekday though.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If it's the launch party it'd be either the 24th or 25th I'd imagine. Pure guess.

Steady G

Everyone did amazing at the San Mateo tournament! It was exciting to finally be involved in a DOA tourney. I had a blast! Congrats to Ryujin for winning that $1400! Amazing Jann Lee! =]

Anyone know got background on Crazy Steady? I've never heard of him before today.

Yes, I am an SS rank n DOA4 online & I pretty much been playing DOA my whole life... Haha but what exactly did you want to know? =]

Zeo

Ha! Sup Crazy, good show indeed. Still can't seem to beat your Tina myself, but I'll get there. I actually have a few questions myself.

1. Why did you pick Sarah, was it a whim for fun or did you honestly want to use her from the get go?
2. Do you play VF? You seemed pretty familiar with Sarah and I'm wondering if that was familiarity or sheer talent
and adaptation.
3. Do you plan on maining or seconding Sarah when the game comes out?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Glad to see you here Steady. West Coast has had problems as far as the DOA 4 scene went, but I know there are a lot of guys over there wanting to get things up and running for DOA 5. I hope you can make it to more events in the future, I think most everyone will agree you were great fun to watch.

Steady G

Ha! Sup Crazy, good show indeed. Still can't seem to beat your Tina myself, but I'll get there. I actually have a few questions myself.

1. Why did you pick Sarah, was it a whim for fun or did you honestly want to use her from the get go?
2. Do you play VF? You seemed pretty familiar with Sarah and I'm wondering if that was familiarity or sheer talent
and adaptation.
3. Do you plan on maining or seconding Sarah when the game comes out?

Haha Zeo! Just keep practicing and eventually you will be my Tina! You are a skilled fighter!

Okay now for the questions...
1. I told myself before the tourney that all I wanted was to get a chance to play with Sarah. And that is exactly what I did.
2. I do play VF and guess what? Sarah is my main! =p
3. I want to main Sarah. My goal in DOA5 is to make sure that when I play with Sarah online, she will be one of the hardest characters to beat. Haha Sarah is a BEAST! =]

Glad to see you here Steady. West Coast has had problems as far as the DOA 4 scene went, but I know there are a lot of guys over there wanting to get things up and running for DOA 5. I hope you can make it to more events in the future, I think most everyone will agree you were great fun to watch.

Yeah I think it would be nice to join the DOA community! =] My plan is to attend more DOA events. This was my first time going to one of these events and I enjoyed myself! Its nice to see the DOA players physically, instead of seeing them behind a TV or Computer screens! Haha im glad that you guys enjoyed my matches! That means a lot to me! Thanks!

Zeo

Haha Zeo! Just keep practicing and eventually you will be my Tina! You are a skilled fighter!

Okay now for the questions...
1. I told myself before the tourney that all I wanted was to get a chance to play with Sarah. And that is exactly what I did.
2. I do play VF and guess what? Sarah is my main! =p
3. I want to main Sarah. My goal in DOA5 is to make sure that when I play with Sarah online, she will be one of the hardest characters to beat. Haha Sarah is a BEAST! =]

Pretty much all the answers I expected, lol. I'm a former VF player and I mained Akira so I probably will be re-learning him for this game, he won't be my main but I'll be sure that he's no slouch.

Anyways, continue to beast as you've been doing and I'm sure you'll be even more of a beast with Sarah when the game comes and and probably one of the first SSes online. But I'll be competing with you for that as well, be prepared!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD