DARK SOULS

Lulu

I just arrived at Sister Frieza's boss room....

However before I let her have her way with me I need to go back into the Corvian Settlement.... turns out I missed two Crystal Lizards and the Follower Spears.

Leave no Stone Unturned !!!

Update: turns out I already got the Lizard and Follower Javelin a long time ago.... I just forgot.... anyway while I was searching I realised I left behind some items.... I'm pretty sure I picked up everything now....

With that out of the way it was time to take on Sister Frieza.... which I did.... in one hour and 12 Minutes... I stopped counting my deaths at around death number 16..... luckily I recorded it so I can go back and count.

Last edited:

Lulu

Alrighty then....

It turns out... for whatever reason my Gamepad Overlay malfunctioned so the recording to didn't capture any of my haphazard button mashing.

LoL... I was going to use it to determine the Game's Input lag... or to determine if your rolling animation has a start up before you become invincible just like the parry.

While I'm attending to that issue I wanted to go over why this boss fight is seemingly difficult... near as I can tell its using the old Reaction vs Timing Trick in order to Guarantee you'l get hit.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about.... Reaction is when you dodge immediately as soon as you see an attack coming out.... Timing requires you to wait and then "Time" your dodge at the appropriate time.... should be easy to grasp... this is an FG Forum after all.

I should also point out that the Dark Souls III uses Negative Edge for its dodging mechanic, basically your character won't roll until you release the button... not when you first press it.

Okay... with that out of the way....
Frieza is no different than any other cheap enemy in the game... you know... Hitboxes that exceed you rolling distance... damage sponge..... unpunishable... Shitty Level design... lock on issues... blah blah blah, I'm sure we'l all familar with From Software's Douchebaggery by now. However what causes the majority of the deaths.... at least for my build.... is her basic Scythe combo....

Its pretty straight foward, the first swing must be dodge on reaction.... easy enough.... the 2nd hit has variations.... she can swing it again immediately, that merely requires a another Reaction dodge. Or she can delay it for a Harder Slash that must be dodged with Timing....simply performing another dodge immediately even with the Blood Ring is just going to get you hit... The Direction of the roll is irrelevant.... she lunges forward, tracks you like magnet and swings in a full 360 arc so any dodge on reaction is guaranteed 35% life loss.

Her last variation is an evasive slash that transitions into her Invisibility Stance.... it can be evaded by the same method as her fast follow up so its not worth mentioning.

And that's basically it... the combo can be up to three hits long and the 2nd & 3rd can either be fast or delayed.... if she delays the 2nd Hit then she can't continue the combo....

With the animation being ambiguous and the game not reacting to your inputs immediately then its completely random wether you'l get hit by the 2nd Hit or not...

This is yet another Battle of Attrition....meaning you win by not running out of resources too quickly... not with any skill of any kind.

However unlike other Boss Fights that are blatantly poorly contructed like the Dragon Slayer Armor or Saint Aldritch.... Frieza's douchebaggery is more cleverly hidden. As I said.... They can be dodged easily.... neither one is unavoidable but just by applying simple odds getting hit is guaranteed. Hence you'l have to chug on some Estus to not die.

Phase 2 is pretty Straight Forward... its Soul Purpose is to dwindle down your Estus with More Familiar bullshit, nothing worth mentioning there.... and Phase 3....I don't know....once you get to Phase 3 with over 5 Estus left then you can essentially trade blow for blow with her and win.

I'l know more when I go over the Footage....

Also if anyone wants to you can try finding an Option Select for Frieza's combo.... assuming the Parry animation is Fast enough then you can dodge the first hit then immediately go for the parry on the 2nd attack every time.... then we'l see if theres enough time to recover and dodged the Delayed Follow Ups.

Its worth noting that depending where you roll even a well timed parry might fail because of offsetting your position.... after all if any enemy is far away enough or at an angle or incline then the parry will fail.

I'd do it myself but but I already Murdered the Bitch so.... any Volunteers ? :)

Sotherius

Frieda is such a kickass boss. Everything she throws is easily reactable, she staggers, she is parriable for good damage if that is your playstyle, she can be backstabbed, and she is still challenging. She doesn't have much HP, even when you summon Gael for the boss fight for help, and giving you a Slab between second and third phase was such a cheap trick to make believe that the fight was over, i just laughed the first time i got caught by that. She is probably one of my favorite bosses in DS3.

Talking about bosses, I realized i pretty much have Nameless King memorized in my head, on the new build i was trying, i pretty much got him first try (Quality Build using Murakumo as my main weapon), around SL 70. Feel Happy.

If there is one boss i hate in this game is the demon prince from the second dlc, is not a good fight when your main attack source is fire damage, even if you have dark and physical pyromancies as well, but with other builds he is not as problematic. He also has too much HP across the 3 phases i would say. I still have to learn how to deal with second phase properly, not using a shield sometimes is a pain.

Lulu

They are two versions of the Demon Prince depending on which demon you kill first.... for the most part they are the same but they have different Ultra Moves.... one Shoots a lazer and the other rains down Giant Fire Bombs.....

Which one did you get ?

I got the lazer one.... was able to Stagger Him twice because his lazer was easily telegraphed.... just ran behind him and emptied my Stamina bar in his Butt Cheeks... its a classic.

I suppose he might be harder to Stagger if you summon help from an NPC....

Wait, as a Pyromancer shouldn't you be able to use Dark Weapons too ? In fact if you're a Pyromancer you should be able to benefit from every type of magic and magic weapon.

Lulu

Man Split Damage is so annoying.

Aren't there any Pure Magic/Fire/Lightning weapons like in DS1 ?

Sotherius

Wait, as a Pyromancer shouldn't you be able to use Dark Weapons too ? In fact if you're a Pyromancer you should be able to benefit from every type of magic and magic weapon.

Yeah, i do benefit from it, but i also like to keep inside a character, and Rubian is a pyromancer at heart. I'm also going to start another pyromancer, i want to see if i can work with demon fist.

Aren't there any Pure Magic/Fire/Lightning weapons like in DS1 ?
There is the demon scar that is pure fire, don't remember any other weapon that is pure from an element.

Lulu

Yeah, i do benefit from it, but i also like to keep inside a character, and Rubian is a pyromancer at heart. I'm also going to start another pyromancer, i want to see if i can work with demon fist.

Rubian seems like he's confident in his abilities.... Very Sexy quality in a man.

There is the demon scar that is pure fire, don't remember any other weapon that is pure from an element.

So theres hope !!! :)

I hope its not unwieldly.

Edit: LoL... The Demon's Scar has some rubbish Scaling....

Ah well... guess we'l never have anything as good as the Wooden Hammer and Queelag's Fire Sword.

Last edited:

Lulu

Quelaag's fire sword is split damage.
Its more like Side Plate Damage.... the meat of the sword is mostly Fire.... and it Scales with Humanity.

If more Damage is required I just activate Power Within, because that was actually viable in that game.

Rubian is a lady. =P

My apologies to the lovely lady...

LoL... did you make your character with some crazy skin colour like Blue or Purple ?

Sotherius

DARK SOULS™ III_20171025121409.png

She is kinda normal?

Argentus

LoL... again, thats essentially what I said earlier. It literally doesn't exist outside of Great Weapons.... and even then you have to actually swing your weapon to turn poise on....

Which is fine if you manage to kill whatever group of enemies surrounds you, but if you wind up soaking up too much damage and need to estus up then you are poiseless... theres no ultra great estus thats going to let you estus safely.... and thats bound to be an issue if your gameplan is essentially "Lets Trade Hits !!!"

I've never particularly liked armor in any type of game.... I mean when developers dedicate so much time and resources into Armor they're basically saying "We Expect you to get hit." And sure enough, taking damage is guaranteed, even when you're blocking.

All that time spent crafting 200 pieces of armor could've been used to give you defensive options actually designed for PvE... if only to make glass cannon builds more viable.

Ofcourse this is nothing new, throwing PvE enemies against a character with PvP mechanics is something From Software has been sucking at since Demon Souls...

my problem is glass cannons were perfectly viable in previous souls games. but since all ranged attacks were nerfed horribly in DS3, not so much anymore.

Also its always been the other way around. game is designed around pve with the pvp just slapped on, that's why pvp is always so buggy and broken.

Argentus

Alrighty then....

It turns out... for whatever reason my Gamepad Overlay malfunctioned so the recording to didn't capture any of my haphazard button mashing.

LoL... I was going to use it to determine the Game's Input lag... or to determine if your rolling animation has a start up before you become invincible just like the parry.

While I'm attending to that issue I wanted to go over why this boss fight is seemingly difficult... near as I can tell its using the old Reaction vs Timing Trick in order to Guarantee you'l get hit.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about.... Reaction is when you dodge immediately as soon as you see an attack coming out.... Timing requires you to wait and then "Time" your dodge at the appropriate time.... should be easy to grasp... this is an FG Forum after all.

I should also point out that the Dark Souls III uses Negative Edge for its dodging mechanic, basically your character won't roll until you release the button... not when you first press it.

Okay... with that out of the way....
Frieza is no different than any other cheap enemy in the game... you know... Hitboxes that exceed you rolling distance... damage sponge..... unpunishable... Shitty Level design... lock on issues... blah blah blah, I'm sure we'l all familar with From Software's Douchebaggery by now. However what causes the majority of the deaths.... at least for my build.... is her basic Scythe combo....

Its pretty straight foward, the first swing must be dodge on reaction.... easy enough.... the 2nd hit has variations.... she can swing it again immediately, that merely requires a another Reaction dodge. Or she can delay it for a Harder Slash that must be dodged with Timing....simply performing another dodge immediately even with the Blood Ring is just going to get you hit... The Direction of the roll is irrelevant.... she lunges forward, tracks you like magnet and swings in a full 360 arc so any dodge on reaction is guaranteed 35% life loss.

Her last variation is an evasive slash that transitions into her Invisibility Stance.... it can be evaded by the same method as her fast follow up so its not worth mentioning.

And that's basically it... the combo can be up to three hits long and the 2nd & 3rd can either be fast or delayed.... if she delays the 2nd Hit then she can't continue the combo....

With the animation being ambiguous and the game not reacting to your inputs immediately then its completely random wether you'l get hit by the 2nd Hit or not...

This is yet another Battle of Attrition....meaning you win by not running out of resources too quickly... not with any skill of any kind.

However unlike other Boss Fights that are blatantly poorly contructed like the Dragon Slayer Armor or Saint Aldritch.... Frieza's douchebaggery is more cleverly hidden. As I said.... They can be dodged easily.... neither one is unavoidable but just by applying simple odds getting hit is guaranteed. Hence you'l have to chug on some Estus to not die.

Phase 2 is pretty Straight Forward... its Soul Purpose is to dwindle down your Estus with More Familiar bullshit, nothing worth mentioning there.... and Phase 3....I don't know....once you get to Phase 3 with over 5 Estus left then you can essentially trade blow for blow with her and win.

I'l know more when I go over the Footage....

Also if anyone wants to you can try finding an Option Select for Frieza's combo.... assuming the Parry animation is Fast enough then you can dodge the first hit then immediately go for the parry on the 2nd attack every time.... then we'l see if theres enough time to recover and dodged the Delayed Follow Ups.

Its worth noting that depending where you roll even a well timed parry might fail because of offsetting your position.... after all if any enemy is far away enough or at an angle or incline then the parry will fail.

I'd do it myself but but I already Murdered the Bitch so.... any Volunteers ? :)

this is why i don't melee in these games lol. Kite and ranged attack.

Doesn't help that i prefer dex weapons, which don't stagger/stun for SHIT on pve enemies, so if I have to melee at all, i just do one scratch then get out.

Anyways i'm about to tackle the ringed city with my mage if anyone wants to play.

Lulu

Also its always been the other way around. game is designed around pve with the pvp just slapped on, that's why pvp is always so buggy and broken.

Given how many enemy types can't be parried, back stabbed or kicked... and just how rubbish your attack range and rolling distance is....

I'd say the mechanics wore designed for PvP and then retro fitted to PvE.... even if the mulitiplayer is optional.

Argentus

Given how many enemy types can't be parried, back stabbed or kicked... and just how rubbish your attack range and rolling distance is....

I'd say the mechanics wore designed for PvP and then retro fitted to PvE.... even if the mulitiplayer is optional.

no that's just the game's old school difficulty lol. Your options are designed to be situational.

How ludicrously OP crit attacks like backstabs and parries are in PVP, along with how utterly busted rolling and weapon hitboxes are in pvp, are the evidence I see for PVP just being slapped on.

Sotherius

Ranged attacks have been really useful for me in Dark Souls 3.

Really my pyromancer doesn't even care about most enemies (now i'm doing a close combat run that changed), or the patterns of a lot of bosses really.

Having a Greatbow on my quality build let me neutralize a lot of enemies as well, i was able to to the whole irythill dungeon and profaned capital collecting everything without resting in a bonfire.

In Dark Souls 1, i finished before on NG and NG+, but since you couldn't respect, i had to restart my character with a more planned build, in this run, i two shot Pinwheel with my pyromancies.

Lulu

no that's just the game's old school difficulty lol. Your options are designed to be situational.

How ludicrously OP crit attacks like backstabs and parries are in PVP, along with how utterly busted rolling and weapon hitboxes are in pvp, are the evidence I see for PVP just being slapped on.

For all we know the entire game itself is "Slapped On"... Those same issues occur in PvE.

Anyway.... I murdered Midir and Shira and Fillianora and the Judicator/Judicators.... now its just me & Uncle Gael left....

I'm gonna shove my sword so deep in his ass he'l be tasting Steel for a week....

Then I can go back to Geralt and his Whores.

Edit: Nailed it !!!

Gael was rather annoying, the whole damaging cape thing was a cheap trick.... rest of the fight was straight forward..... why is it like all these bosses are just regular enemies with Giant Health Pools ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lulu

Now that I'm done with the DLC... its time to prepare for NG+.....

I need to pick up anything I haven't picked... make all the necessary upgrades and infusions before I lose all my embers.... Transpose before I lose the Transposing Thingy and Buy all the Spells from everybody.... BEFORE I KILL THEM ALL !!! :mad:

And Respect... obviously.

I'm looking for a high scaling but low requirenent Ultra Great Weapon of any type.... Moveset, Speed & Range is irrelevant... I just want the Damage.... the only one in my Inventory is the Cathedral Knight Great Sword....

Any Recommendations ? Zweihander perhaps ?

Edit: Think I'm just about done.... Is it actually worth murdering everyone to see what they Drop ?

In DS1 you did get some useful drops from quite a few of the NPCs.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I just started Dark Souls 3. So far it's substantially better than Bloodborne and substantially worse than Nioh.

The most difficult thing thus far has been putting up with Dark Spirit invaders and their shitlord connections. Whoever thought that spirit invaders would be a good idea is a fucking moron.

Sotherius

About invasions, yeah, you either love it or hate it.

And i agree, Nioh is widely better and bloodborne is worse, but i have to say, i preffer the weapon upgrade system in dark souls 3 over nioh a thousand times...

Other thing, is you can play Dark souls 3 offline if you don't want to deal with the online shenanigans, the npc invasions are fun and also give you stuff.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD