Dead or Alive 5 Alpha Demo System and Character Discussions

synce

Does anyone know why you only take damage if your opponent blocks the cliffhanger grab and not the attack? Does the grab do more damage? Anyone have the exact numbers?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Positioning and knowing your surroundings has always been a key part of DoA. That generator is no different.

It's the case with any game but this is just a case of HNK.

"Welp, this map came up and I'm on player 2 side. Can we switch?"
"Let's just pick a new map."

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Does anyone know why you only take damage if your opponent blocks the cliffhanger grab and not the attack? Does the grab do more damage? Anyone have the exact numbers?

Just game theory really. The player would want to do an attack because it won't put them in negative, but if opponent knows they'll prefer this then they earn nothing by guarding the attack. So attacker would want to do throw as the 'unsafe' choice and be rewarded with the damage over the option of 'nothing'.

If both awarded no penalty to the attacker than it literally would be a coin flip, assuming the damage from both throw and attack option are the same (I do not know).

Not saying a condone it, the same can be done just by making the attack do more damage than the throw option without either penalizing the attacker and the same principle will hold true.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Actually no, you know I still call bullshit on it. If player 2 moves at the beginning of the round, then I know he wants to get away from the generator so I'll just follow him. Unless you're Ayane or someone with a dodge move (like Bayman), then you're gonna have trouble getting away from the generator.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Actually no, you know I still call bullshit on it. If player 2 moves at the beginning of the round, then I know he wants to get away from the generator so I'll just follow him. Unless you're Ayane or someone with a dodge move (like Bayman), then you're gonna have trouble getting away from the generator.

its really not that big of a deal ...
like the guys said you can move in the beginning ... plus you have sidesteps and free stepping during the match .. not to mention moves that switch positions .. (which there are quite a few by the way and simply not just throws)

you're thinking in a 2D plane sense ... also you're really not that close to the generator.. you'll need at least one mixup before being slammed in unless you get hit with something like a rediculous powerblow ... (which is easily avoided or punished)

not to mention if you get knocked down you can roll to either side or back ... theres alot of movement in DOA ..
and just like the generators are a threat ... you dont wanna get slammed into the trashcan dangerzone ... there are garanteed unblockable setups for all 4 characters after the trashcan slam giving you an easy combo

every little area in the stage has its little gimmick and i really like that about the game ...

like after the generator explodes .. you start the next round both at the same heght of the slope ..and its funny because you see both players going up before the match starts to try and get the upper ground ...

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I kind of like the placement in the stages, it's kind of like in MK where you can start the second round already in the corner.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
are there any hold resistant moves in the demo apart from ..
ayane's :7::K:
and hayate's :7::K: ??
seems most of the old hold resistant moves are holdable now ..

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

If player 2 moves opposite the crane, his back is now to a wall and not the generator. If player 1 moves with him, his back is to a more dangerous wall with the falling debris causing unholdable stuns.

If player 1 moves in the opposite direction, his back is to the crane, which after being triggered also disables the generator explosion.

So I don't see the problem here either.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
im just trying to word something out for my vid ... please correct me if im wrong ...

now lets say you are stunned with an initial attack (for example busa's P+K)... and you go for a hold during stun ...
lets say its a wrong hold (MID) .. and you get hit ... (PP)
is your stun status is still the same from the previous attack right ?
or does the critical threshold go down from the wrong guess?

if my testings are right .. the stun remains the same and the critical threshold doesnt go down during the hold.. till full recovery (obviously)

is this correct?

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
heres a little random useless tidbit i found in the demo ...
if you get a double KO at a final round . ... the announcer says "double KO" and .. you get an extra round...
if in that extra round ... you get another "double KO" ... player 2 wins >___>
lol ..

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
heres a little random useless tidbit i found in the demo ...
if you get a double KO at a final round . ... the announcer says "double KO" and .. you get an extra round...
if in that extra round ... you get another "double KO" ... player 2 wins >___>
lol ..

It was the same in Doa4 only on the third or fourth final round until awarding it to p1 I think.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD