Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Helena

Omegan Eckhart

I'm actually a little bored of Helena. Momoji is pretty fun so I'm playing her a lot right now. Not dropping Helena but until something interesting is found I don't feel much of an urge to play her, especially seeing as people are so busy spamming mid punch counters that I can't use any of her new stuff anyway.

ninjaguy446

Got home a while ago and am in the lab with Helena (finally the weekend! :D). I noticed a couple of things I think were changed though.

1KK launches on NH. I think in Vanilla it only launched on CH.
BKO P+K doesn't wall hit.

Were they like that before or am I just going crazy? lol

Omegan Eckhart

Got home a while ago and am in the lab with Helena (finally the weekend! :D). I noticed a couple of things I think were changed though.

1KK launches on NH. I think in Vanilla it only launched on CH.
BKO P+K doesn't wall hit.

Were they like that before or am I just going crazy? lol
1KK? Her low kick low kick string?
BKO P+K did used to hit the wall, with the move being given re launch properties I guess they removed blow back too.

Rawbietussin

I'm not sure if this has something to do with weight classes now (since I used Rachel as a training dummy) but somehow when I did BKO T 8K BKO PPK. The K part on BKO PPK doesn't connect unlike in Vanilla 5 and same goes with BKO T 4PPK 9K with the 9K bit when I was able to do it on Bayman and Bass back then.

Kokomi

I don't think this is the place to post this, but I've played Helena during DOA2 many years back and intended to main her, but seeing how complex her gameplay was, I resorted to something more basic like Hitomi after DOA5 came out and skipped DOA3 + DOA4.

I was watching a tourney fight by Rikuto and Xcalibur earlier on and I'm starting to wonder if Helena is a must learn for any players seeking to be competitive. It seems to me like every competitive fights I see, at least one Helena pops out. Players like Emann, Artemis are also mainers of Helena, is there an answer to this?

If so, I'd like to start picking her back up seeing as how she's secretly OP, not just for the sake of being competitive. But then, I'd like to know if there any answers to the question I just asked. Is she still any easier to pick up from DOA5U too? Seeing as how I have little to no knowledge about her.

Last edited:

Omegan Eckhart

I don't think this is the place to post this, but I've played Helena during DOA2 many years back and intended to main her, but seeing how complex her gameplay was, I resorted to something more basic like Hitomi after DOA5 came out and skipped DOA3 + DOA4.

I was watching a tourney fight by Rikuto and Xcalibur earlier on and I'm starting to wonder if Helena is a must learn for any players seeking to be competitive. It seems to me like every competitive fights I see, at least one Helena pops out. Players like Emann, Artemis are also mainers of Helena, is there an answer to this?

If so, I'd like to start picking her back up seeing as how she's secretly OP, not just for the sake of being competitive. But then, I'd like to know if there any answers to the question I just asked. Is she still any easier to pick up from DOA5U too? Seeing as how I have little to no knowledge about her.
# She's not OP she's just balanced in a lopsided manor.
# Xcal is the only person winning with her atm.
# Emann now mains Christie, I think.
# Helena pops up at tournaments a lot because of how easy she is use if all you do is loop her FT.
# She is almost exactly the same as she was in Vanilla.
# She is now one of the easiest characters to use as long as you are okay with the fact that her guaranteed set ups are total garbage and don't mind playing DOA4's stun game constantly.

Akumasama

I still didn't have the chance to do more than a bunch of matches, but despite me not noticing differences in training mode (aside from the ones we already discussed) I keep getting the feeling she plays "different".
I don't get what, I don't get how, but I do get that feeling.

Maybe it has something to do with the new animations like the "air spin", the "ground slide", or that other one after BKO 4+K which is different (still allows the same combos though, I think?).

Dunno, it's probably just a feeling and nothing practical, but she feels different to me. I don't get the same feeling from Christie for instance, which is strange...

Kokomi

# She's not OP she's just balanced in a lopsided manor.
# Xcal is the only person winning with her atm.
# Emann now mains Christie, I think.
# Helena pops up at tournaments a lot because of how easy she is use if all you do is loop her FT.
# She is almost exactly the same as she was in Vanilla.
# She is now one of the easiest characters to use as long as you are okay with the fact that her guaranteed set ups are total garbage and don't mind playing DOA4's stun game constantly.

What's the Vanilla? If so, where do I start for basics as a Helena player?

Rawbietussin

Vanilla means the original version of the game (DOA5). I try suggest doing Command Training first to know her entire moveset and get acquainted with it. Then try formulating combos and juggles in Free Training.

Akumasama

Combo training is a good thing too :D And if you haven't done it yet, do the general "Game Training".
Might feel redundant, but it explains all the important mechanics of the game, which u've gotta learn and master if you wish to play a certain character, whomever you're gonna choose.

Kokomi

Vanilla means the original version of the game (DOA5). I try suggest doing Command Training first to know her entire moveset and get acquainted with it. Then try formulating combos and juggles in Free Training.

Combo training is a good thing too :D And if you haven't done it yet, do the general "Game Training".
Might feel redundant, but it explains all the important mechanics of the game, which u've gotta learn and master if you wish to play a certain character, whomever you're gonna choose.

Thanks, I just completed her command training this afternoon actually, still kinda feel sloppy with her. I might go online and try a few matches with her and post some videos up.

Omegan Eckhart

I'm going to make a guide for Helena's frame data soon.
Take an anti depressant before hand, her frame data looks awful.
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/helena-breakdown.1483/

This is a thread detailing everything you need to start up with Helena. It was written for Vanilla but it is still relevant as she was changed very little from 5 to 5U. Anything new to 5U is listed in this thread.

Akumasama

Afraid that guid might be a bit "too much" for him, at the moment.
Maybe in a weeks or more he'll be able to fully apreciate it, but alas atm I'm afraid it's too early ^^'

d3v

Finally tried her out again this after avoiding her due to the PFT nerfs. Goddamit, I miss the blender.

ninjaguy446

Finally tried her out again this after avoiding her due to the PFT nerfs. Goddamit, I miss the blender.
It's not that bad. You can still play her the same because most people will tech anyways. Plus, she still has her awesome mixup game with new transitions into BT.

I think her new SDS is really good for getting CB!. I know it's not guaranteed, but it's barely reactable since it's pretty fast.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD