Dead or Alive 5 Weight Classes

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Many people know there are weight classes in Dead or Alive 5 that would cause certain juggles to connect or miss depending on the opponent. However, what many people do not know for sure is the exact weight classes of the characters and what the weight actually affects.Most people are under the presumption that weight class affects falling speed. This is incorrect. All of the characters fall at the same speed. The weight of a character affects how high in the air they are launched or relaunched.

Thanks to the release of Dead or Alive 5+ we can now see the exact weight classes. This is because Dead or Alive 5+ shows off a move's height detail in the Move Detail information pane. In other words, it says how high in the air an opponent is when launched.

For my testing I attempted to get the highest launch possible due to the Critical (Threshold) system giving higher launches at higher threshold by performing a High Threshold Launch on an opponent in crouching state (sit-down stun to be precise).

So the following are the weight classes for Dead or Alive 5 from lightest to heaviest:

• Feather
    :eliot: :hitomi: :kokoro: :mila: :sarah:
  • Light
    :alpha152: :ayane: :kasumi:
  • Welter
    :leifang: :pai:
  • Middle
    :akira: :bradwong: :christie: :hayate: :hayabusa: :jannlee: :lisa: :rig: :tina: :zack:
  • Cruiser
    :helena:
  • Heavy
    :genfu:
  • Super Heavy
    :bass: :bayman:
It should be noted that the weight difference between Featherweights and Heavyweights is the same difference between Heavyweights and the Superheavyweights.

Nightpup

@_@ what. How is Alpha heavier than Hitomi. She's so fat.
So, should we attempt to name these weightclasses at all?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I've been meaning to ask about this for the longest time, but kept forgetting to. Thanks for this info, Mr. Wah.

synce

Hah... I can see the reasoning behind some of these decisions. Christie has an ass the size of Helena's but a jab as quick as Kasumi's, so put her between the two.

Edit: Just realized Sarah's gargantuan self is in the lightest class. WTF?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
dam Eliot needs to bulk up! Some of the girls are heavier than you bro including a bitch that floats in air,how can you be lighter than that!

didn't realize that Bayman was so heavy oh well all it really means is less juggle opportunity on them don't it?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think gen fu and helena could considered heavy-mid like jean and akira. Some combos don't work on them and I don't wether this is because of gravity or their hurt box.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The launch height variants were the following:

2.01m, 2.00m, 1.98m, 1.97m, 1.96m, 1.94m, and 1.88m.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
They obviously aren't static outside of the one combo I used to launch, the height depends on what you are using to launch and where in the Threshold system is the launching attack.

Oooh, right. I should've thought about that. Each launcher has it's own properties and launch height. I'm guessing some launchers like Bass' charge OH actually throw every character the same height while other standard launchers launch depending on the character weight class.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Those criossants are catching up to Helena. Was the numeric difference between characters enough to reclassify them in their own weight class? Are there set ups that work on mid wights, but not Helena and Genfu?

It's them tig ol bitties.

Setups can differ based on character move properties. One character might have moves that work on Helena and Gen Fu but not Bass, and other characters may not. The point is there is a weight difference.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
^^ Well, yes. It was the juggulars all along.

I have a few set ups which don't work for Gen-fu or Helena as you need to hit em at a later hit frame with a launcher for it to work.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
With Akira, I had gone through forced tech combos that only work on weight specific classes and I found there to only be 3 classes.

Light Weights: Eliot, Hitomi, Kokoro, Mila, Sarah, ALPHA-152, Ayane, Kasumi, Leifang, Pai
Mid Weights: Akira, Brad Wong, Christie, Hayate, Hayabusa, Jann Lee, Lisa, Rig, Tina, Zack, Helena, Gen Fu
Heavy Weights: Bass, Bayman

While the characters may be launched at different heights, I want to say that they return to the ground at the same speed. Is there any way to check that?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
While the characters may be launched at different heights, I want to say that they return to the ground at the same speed. Is there any way to check that?

Before DOA5+ came out I was looking into weight classes by frame capturing and advancing. In my tests, Bass and Kasumi both hit the ground at the same amount of frames after his super launcher throw and a juggle of :P:. That's how I verified, as I stated in the front post, that weight does not affect fall speed but instead (re)launch height.

In your specific example, you could have a character that has a juggle/combo that works on Feather, Light, and Welterweights, but another character might have a juggle that only works on Feather and Lightweights.

Point being, the seven weight types are displayed. And as I also stated, the variance in height is rather close between each class until you get to Heavy and Super Heavyweight. However, there is a discernible difference.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD