Dead Or Alive 6 Builds On Franchise's Core Strengths While Renewing Focus On Inclusivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
DOA has always been about two things, according to its creator - "Sex and violence."

Well he's pretty much gone. He is one of the reasons why DOA had a big impact on the negative feedback and the series became a circle of infinite loop of accumulated issues. A creator who wasn't a fighting game player himself. If anything, DOA are on a positive path without him.

Now it is just violence. It is half the original image. Maybe you like that, that's fine. Just know that many do not and it will affect sales.

I prefer the route of equal, which is my answer for my general approach with DOA. If the game is too hardcore on the action or far too competitive people would lose interest from a casual perspective. But if the game is thriving only off fanservice, anime tropes, or tones just to get people to play the game on life support then it becomes shallow and tasteless. There has to be a balance to this sort of thing. DOA's fanservice and identity approach (least for me) I always considered it as part of it's charm or as a bonus for playing the game, but yet I've always considered it as a fighter first because majority of the game's portion will put you on the screen versus an opponent even it's a picture mode kind of thing. Story mode? still puts the characters fighting each other etc etc.

But again, the fanservice and elements of identity will still be there. It has never left.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
upload_2018-7-11_19-42-24.gif

shiki91

Well he's pretty much gone. He is one of the reasons why DOA went nowhere and the series became a circle of infinite loop of accumulated issues. A creator who wasn't a fighting game player himself. If anything, DOA are on a positive path without him.

I prefer the route of equal, which is my answer for my general approach with DOA. If the game is too hardcore on the action or far too competitive people would lose interest from a casual perspective. But if the game is thriving only off fanservice, anime tropes, or tones just to get people to play the game on life support then it becomes shallow and tasteless. There has to be a balance to this sort of thing. DOA's fanservice and identity approach (least for me) I always considered it as part of it's charm or as a bonus for playing the game, but yet I've always considered it as a fighter first because majority of the game's portion will put you on the screen versus an opponent if even it's a picture mode kind of thing. Story mode? still puts the characters fighting each other etc etc.

But again, the fanservice and elements of identity will still be there. It has never left.

He's also the one who created the series and made it what it is. So I see little point in attacking him when without him, you would have no such game to even play in the first place. Seems stupid to me.

DOA as it sits is on a very risky path. But we'll see, won't we?

It IS a fighting game first. Only a complete moron would say otherwise You'll be hard-pressed to find me saying it's not.

As far as the "fan service" as you refer to it, that remains to be seen. So far, the interviews have stated it is largely gone and the videos have shown the same. You are hearing what you want to, it seems. I do not share your unbridled faith in Shimbori. Shimbori stated they made the boobs smaller since it makes them "more human." The physics were axed and classic, normal costumes are gone. All in the name of becoming more appropriate for "esports."

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
He's also the one who created the series and made it what it is. So I see little point in attacking him when without him, you would have no such game to even play in the first place. Seems stupid to me.

DOA as it sits is on a very risky path. But we'll see, won't we?

It IS a fighting game first. Only a complete moron would say otherwise You'll be hard-pressed to find me saying it's not.

As far as the "fan service" as you refer to it, that remains to be seen. So far, the interviews have stated it is largely gone and the videos have shown the same. You are hearing what you want to, it seems. I do not share your unbridled faith in Shimbori. Shimbori stated they made the boobs smaller since it makes them "more human." The physics were axed and classic, normal costumes are gone. All in the name of becoming more appropriate for "esports."

Dead or Alive used to stand for many things. Fluid combat, vibrant colours and boobs, boobs and even more boobs. But times have moved on now, perspectives have changed and the series has matured with the coming of Dead or Alive 5.

Breaking the rules of confined arenas, Dead or Alive 5 blends its trademark free-flowing combat system with stage littered with peril, making ring-outs and knocking opponents into hazards more crucial than before.

To learn more about this new outlook on the Dead or Alive series, and how the franchise has fared without the input of Tomonobu Itagaki, we spoke with Team Ninja director Yohei Shimbori.

We’ve noticed that there is less emphasis on the female component of Dead or Alive 5. Would you say that the series has now matured in this respect, and to what extent did you feel that the sexual overtones of previous instalments directed attention away from the actual fighting?

Up to now, the presence of the characters has stood out from the overall atmosphere of the game such as the backgrounds and the fight itself.

In Dead or Alive 5 we are not only focusing on making the characters stand out, but we are adding more presence to the backgrounds and sound, etc, to add to the overall experience.

In the previous games the more sexual aspects may have been a distraction to the fight and those were the only elements that made characters stand out.

However, in Dead or Alive 5 we are making sure that characters themselves have actual presence and not the sexual bits. The game is still in alpha stage so we are playing around with different parts here and there, but the overall concept will not change. - Direct interview from April 27, 2012

shiki91

Dead or Alive used to stand for many things. Fluid combat, vibrant colours and boobs, boobs and even more boobs. But times have moved on now, perspectives have changed and the series has matured with the coming of Dead or Alive 5.

Breaking the rules of confined arenas, Dead or Alive 5 blends its trademark free-flowing combat system with stage littered with peril, making ring-outs and knocking opponents into hazards more crucial than before.

To learn more about this new outlook on the Dead or Alive series, and how the franchise has fared without the input of Tomonobu Itagaki, we spoke with Team Ninja director Yohei Shimbori.

We’ve noticed that there is less emphasis on the female component of Dead or Alive 5. Would you say that the series has now matured in this respect, and to what extent did you feel that the sexual overtones of previous instalments directed attention away from the actual fighting?

Up to now, the presence of the characters has stood out from the overall atmosphere of the game such as the backgrounds and the fight itself.

In Dead or Alive 5 we are not only focusing on making the characters stand out, but we are adding more presence to the backgrounds and sound, etc, to add to the overall experience.

In the previous games the more sexual aspects may have been a distraction to the fight and those were the only elements that made characters stand out.

However, in Dead or Alive 5 we are making sure that characters themselves have actual presence and not the sexual bits. The game is still in alpha stage so we are playing around with different parts here and there, but the overall concept will not change. - Direct interview from April 27, 2012

You folks must be thrilled to the gills that they actually seem to be making good on their 6 year old promise, no doubt.

Hmmm me parece que también es prudente que la gente de habla hispana comprenda esto. Para todos los fans de DOA6 de habla hispana me dirijo a ustedes. Las criticas de los Guerreros de la Justicia Social, están jodiendo la industria de los videojuegos. Ellos ya han arruinado otras sagas, por el tema del feminismo y lo "políticamente correcto". Por esa razón he lanzado una petición:
https://www.change.org/p/dead-or-al...dead-or-alive-6-debe-escuchar-a-sus-fanáticos

Sinceramente espero que la lean, comprendan, apoyen y difundan.

Gracias a toda la comunidad hispana de DOA.

Ninoasker

Hmmm me parece que también es prudente que la gente de habla hispana comprenda esto. Para todos los fans de DOA6 de habla hispana me dirijo a ustedes. Las criticas de los Guerreros de la Justicia Social, están jodiendo la industria de los videojuegos. Ellos ya han arruinado otras sagas, por el tema del feminismo y lo "políticamente correcto". Por esa razón he lanzado una petición:
https://www.change.org/p/dead-or-alive-6-must-listen-to-their-fans-dead-or-alive-6-debe-escuchar-a-sus-fanáticos

Sinceramente espero que la lean, comprendan, apoyen y difundan.

Gracias a toda la comunidad hispana de DOA.
Y'all must be really faithful if you think a Change petition with a 500 signature goal will change anything lol.

Last edited:

crapoZK

Standard Donor
No, unfortunately I foolishly wasted my money on all 3 versions of that game. So keep trolling.
How is it trolling when the game has been a ghost town for close to 3 years though. I paid for all 3 versions of DOA5 and it became fetish simulator in the later stages via DLC. All that DLC that made TN bags of money, and nobody plays. Just watch when DOA6 does the same thing. They presented DOA5 as a serious fighter in 2012, and by 2016 it was the fighting version of DOAX3. People can want what they want but nobody can look me in the eye and say that these Team Ninja guys don't go back on their word. Shit, it's what makes them money.

EDIT:
Whoever wants the fanservice and boob physics will get it (hopefully in due time). They'll just make it an unlockable feature or DLC to begin with, if they don't release another rehash lmao. Personally idgaf if the cosmetic elements that the vocal community wants are in the game or not because I know what I'm playing for. I'm not on a crusade to get it removed nor am I angry that it's not there. But really. SURELY the vocal community doesn't expect to be "taken seriously" if this is the way they're acting over the matter. Idgaf about the e-sports people are saying they're catering to, idgaf about the SJWs. I'm not a DOA "fanboy" as recently my main game isn't even this one. I can't blame Shimbori for what he's trying to do with DOA6 as before now, the vocal community were people who wanted less fanservice and boobs. There were tooooo many complaints about the way they handled DOA5 and their DLCs. The competitive community kinda didn't want it in full swing either (But I can't speak on their behalf tbh). As soon as their opinions were taken into account, all of these once-silent casual players appeared throwing shit at the TN logo for acting on what they were being flooded with before. It's hard out here man.

It's not like they're too late in development to implement what the now vocal community wants.

shiki91

How is it trolling when the game has been a ghost town for close to 3 years though. I paid for all 3 versions of DOA5 and it became fetish simulator in the later stages via DLC. All that DLC that made TN bags of money, and nobody plays. Just watch when DOA6 does the same thing. They presented DOA5 as a serious fighter in 2012, and by 2016 it was the fighting version of DOAX3. People can want what they want but nobody can look me in the eye and say that these Team Ninja guys don't go back on their word. Shit, it's what makes them money.

EDIT:
Whoever wants the fanservice and boob physics will get it (hopefully in due time). They'll just make it an unlockable feature or DLC to begin with, if they don't release another rehash lmao. Personally idgaf if the cosmetic elements that the vocal community wants are in the game or not because I know what I'm playing for. I'm not on a crusade to get it removed nor am I angry that it's not there. But really. SURELY the vocal community doesn't expect to be "taken seriously" if this is the way they're acting over the matter. Idgaf about the e-sports people are saying they're catering to, idgaf about the SJWs. I'm not a DOA "fanboy" as recently my main game isn't even this one. I can't blame Shimbori for what he's trying to do with DOA6 as before now, the vocal community were people who wanted less fanservice and boobs. There were tooooo many complaints about the way they handled DOA5 and their DLCs. The competitive community kinda didn't want it in full swing either (But I can't speak on their behalf tbh). As soon as their opinions were taken into account, all of these once-silent casual players appeared throwing shit at the TN logo for acting on what they were being flooded with before. It's hard out here man.

Then maybe they should have spent more time and money on making the netcode playable. I didn't buy the 8 million bath towels, bikini sets them spewed out and I pity anyone that did for being that stupid. It's Team Ninja's own fault their last game as a ghost town. Good netcode is the lifeblood of any online fighting game. KI got that part right at least.

Team Ninja went back on their word because they knew what signed their paychecks. Unfortunately, it seems they never truly learn and will likely suffer more NG3 experiences from their fans as a result.

I doubt most people who boycotted the game will suddenly buy it because they decided to charge people for basic features that should be in the game from the start, like Kasumi's default, non-granite like boobs and the like.

I honestly do get why people would complain over all the crazy levels of DLC fanservice costumes. It was too much, too gaudy and too expensive. But Japan liked it, apparently so they got it. Hence Honoka and Marie Rose's existence. : /

But now they've done the exact opposite and pulled a 180. They know nothing of "balance" lol - either competitively or in this sense, as they are just defaulting to the opposite spectrum now. Why can't they just do what they did in vanilla 5? I doubt most would complain had they simply went that route. But no, they had to virtue signal up to high heaven how fucking "progressive" and "cool/mature" they are now that Kasumi is suddenly "human" (i.e. has small to medium sized breasts).

The competitive community here is largely responsible for this mess, I agree. They decided to ban costumes at tournaments and even told Shimbori how "embarrassed" the boobs made them feel. Pitiful.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Wait until the game launches and you get to listen to all the complaints nonstop from fans all over the internet.
Oh my g, I'm probably going to have their key words muted by then lol. Hell I'll even keep the word DOA muted on my twitter like it is already xD

shiki91

Oh my g, I'm probably going to have their key words muted by then lol. Hell I'll even keep the word DOA muted on my twitter like it is already xD

Well, they might come here...

The first red flag is going to be all the glowing praise from hated journalism sites like Polygon and Kotaku upon release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD