DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Aspect

I don't mind the sexualization as it is part of the game but I am concerned with the type costumes used (bikinis, bunnysuits, nurses, maids, cops, leis covering tits, etc.) Those types of costumes are too bland and derail the sense of an awesome 3d fighter out of it.

If they want to maintain the hawt, badass women factor in it, TN ought to focus on giving them costumes like these.

latest

latest

latest
vg4qOqy.png

Exactly, it would be win-win for people who hate copy paste, bikini-haters, etc etc. Although, I assume part of that crowd would still be highly against it for said sexualization reasons

Zeo

People actually never seem to assume that I play the game for the sexualization. But that's because after 2 seconds of meeting me, you'll fucking know better.
I definitely wouldn't assume that, I never did really.

But I imagine most of the people that started with DOA2 or 1 didn't either. When you're a kid you aren't playing to look at the big girl's chest, you're just playing because you enjoy the game. For those that do, that interest transcends it, otherwise you wouldn't keep buying the new installments.

Argentus

Me: *Tells people I love DOA because of the fighting and not because of the boobs*

Them:
2rfBXhQ.gif

Me: *tries to prove it to them*

Them:
otwy3Hr.gif
lol same..
then i am like wtf idc to explain it to them anymore...

I actually had some success explaining it to my cousin. I was playin DOA, then her boyfriend and I were watching some anime on Crunchyroll, and she started going off about how stupid it was for all the girls to be supermodels with giant boobs and pantyshots and thats all we watch it for, and me and him looked at her all confused. She started trying to accuse us of just watching it for the fanservice.

But I pointed out to her that the hypersexuality is so common across games and shows, that honestly...we don't even see it anymore. Its just "there", its a non factor. Like I don't notice that she has "giant tits" I just go "oh hey thats a she with boobs because shes have boobs, moving on." I've gotten numb to the sexuality due to being overexposed to it.

And she....understood that, and why nobody who actually watches/plays this stuff even COMMENTS on or notices the fanservice anymore, so long as its just "there". Its only when its actually brought up (By say, Ivy or Rachel, clear dominatrix characters with fetish attacks) that we even notice it.

Thats why I don't get the "DOA is all fanservice"...aren't all fighters? Whats it matter?

Princess Kasumi

I would be happy if team ninja worked on the ground game, on the frames. Make the game in balance please.

It's okay to put the girls in cute costumes but giving the girls breast motion and skimpy costumes is TOO much.
I suggest Team Ninja make a pull each time they've released a new costume DLC pack. Make us vote what we want our characters to wear next time/month. It does not always have to be themed costume pack every month.

How ever I want more stages than costumes honestly. It would make the game more amazing.

werewolfgold

I believe that to the contrary, TK and TN KNOWS of the issues with the Western countries and this game and is apparently toning it down some when it comes to stuff like that, to be my french.
I am not familiar with the phrase "to be my french". Could you elaborate?

Erm...please don't get the wrong idea...but is there a recording of the Famitsu stream, just for the sake of completion, I mean (I watched all streams so far)? >.>

Also, Koei Tecmo is clearly advertising the game differently in Japan and here in the West. The Western trailers had no beach gravures and no Marie Rose bikinis, but other stuff and these little teaser trailers for the first contest costumes are exclusively promoted at Koei Tecmo's and Team Ninja's Western websites. So, I'm fine with the Japanese having all the ecchi stuff, if we get something else. To each their own. :)
You can only rewatch Nico streams if you have a premium account. And I don't know if anyone mirrored it. Sorry.

I only really posted the anecdote because of Hayashi forgetting that the non-bikinis outfits existed. I mean, come on, now. lol

31gma

Imagine if TN gave this costume to Zack

-redacted-

Last edited by a moderator:

Xhominid The Demon Within

I am not familiar with the phrase "to be my french". Could you elaborate?
You know I meant excuse my french just couldn't remember it then.

-redacted-

But you already got males dressed like that...

You never heard of Lioncloths or basically being shirtless all the time?
That's like topless for females.

P.S. Using images like those to try and prove a point prove nothing more than only MEN look stupid in those types of outfits and not women. There's still a thing called context.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Standard Donor

-redacted-
See, this is the kind of thing that objectively should be tolerated since it's perfectly commonplace for females. But double-standards and public idiocy make people all bothered and so I'm left in the middle of the warzone, and no matter which side I stand on, I've gotta be the bad guy.

I've removed it for now due to some concerns voiced by other members. I get why you felt it should be allowed, though. I really do.

See, this is the kind of thing that objectively should be tolerated since it's perfectly commonplace for females. But double-standards and public idiocy make people all bothered and so I'm left in the middle of the warzone, and no matter which side I stand on, I've gotta be the bad guy.

I've removed it for now due to some concerns voiced by other members. I get why you felt it should be allowed, though. I really do.

I agree with you on that. I know why he posted it but from my eyes, it's the exact same principle of The Hawkeye Initiative...which means it falls under the same issue as The Hawkeye Initiative as a whole(For those not in the know, THI is supposed to be showing how stupid the female poses in comics are by having a man do the same pose to try and show how bad it is for females... which falls under the issue that men and women are sexy in completely different ways and styles. A Man is NOT sexy having his member wrapped up like that to ANYONE, but a female can because it's virtually provocative, but a female can't pull off some of the male styles as men can in return.)

TL;DR The idea only works on paper, but sadly burns in practice.

Brute

Standard Donor
I agree with you on that. I know why he posted it but from my eyes, it's the exact same principle of The Hawkeye Initiative...which means it falls under the same issue as The Hawkeye Initiative as a whole(For those not in the know, THI is supposed to be showing how stupid the female poses in comics are by having a man do the same pose to try and show how bad it is for females... which falls under the issue that men and women are sexy in completely different ways and styles. A Man is NOT sexy having his member wrapped up like that to ANYONE, but a female can because it's virtually provocative, but a female can't pull off some of the male styles as men can in return.)

To be fair, I don't find that bullshit any more attractive when it's done with females, and thus support the idea of it being done to males for the sole reason of smiting humanity with ironic justice.

To be fair, I don't find that bullshit any more attractive when it's done with females, and thus support the idea of it being done to males for the sole reason of smiting humanity with ironic justice.

I don't really give a shit either. Human impulses take over if I find it hot if not, I simply will see it as being extremely stupid.
I'm not gonna act like I want all females wearing stuff like that but I'm not really a fan of showing off "A man looks stupid in this girl costume so it must be stupid on girls" nonsense is all. Men have plenty of opportunities to play stripper and have more choices than females that won't make them look like sluts on sight, so whatever.

werewolfgold

You're playing off your own feelings on the matter as how everyone feels. You may not find it appealing, obviously somebody thought that outfit posted was sexy because they made it and someone wore it. And it could be said that the only reason some people would find it "off-putting" to look at is because it's so outlandish and uncommon.

The same would go for your problems with the Hawkeye initiative. While I suppose you could say that there are areas where men and women are sexy (or look completely ridiculous) for different reasons (biology maybe but socialization probably more), you seem to be claiming that there can be no overlap when that's not objectively true.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD