DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
How does the fact that you claim it was a strong generalization negate what I said?

Let's face it, while DOA has become more focused on mechanics as of late, this was hardly ever the case in the past. The need for TK to cater to the pervs is what created the disaster that was DOA4. No one took that game as a serious fighter and deservedly so. So yes, it has a reputation for being shallow. And it's not because of gamer's immaturity.

Which other mainstream fighters have nearly as much T&A does?
Because a generalization, dear sir, means that I know what I said does no apply to everyone. In the past DOA1 did use the T&A to separate itself from other fighters, but with DOA2U and DOA3.1, the game became more competitive while still having fan service. And also, Itagaki put the stigma on DOA when he made the Xtreme series, and his reasoning for doing so was ridiculous. It can be part of the gamer's immaturity because most fighting gamers act like they cannot communicate with females or are completely fine drooling over virtual females.

And mainstream fighters have always had fan service. In SF, Cammy's leotard shows her ass; in Fatal Fury/KOF, Mai's outfit shows off her breasts; in Tekken and VF, especially with Tag 2 and 5FS, everyone can be customized to be sexualized.

People act like fan service is bad. People act like breasts are evil and that bikinis should be burned. We have to remember that this is a game and the females in this game are selling a fantasy. That's why they have the fantastical costumes that they do, because in reality, nobody would wear a bikini or some of the outfits the females do in a real fight.

Corvo792

Because a generalization, dear sir, means that I know what I said does no apply to everyone. In the past DOA1 did use the T&A to separate itself from other fighters, but with DOA2U and DOA3.1, the game became more competitive while still having fan service. And also, Itagaki put the stigma on DOA when he made the Xtreme series, and his reasoning for doing so was ridiculous. It can be part of the gamer's immaturity because most fighting gamers act like they cannot communicate with females or are completely fine drooling over virtual females.

This is such a stupid, insipid, dated stereotype that I cannot believe you're using to bolster your argument.

And mainstream fighters have always had fan service. In SF, Cammy's leotard shows her ass; in Fatal Fury/KOF, Mai's outfit shows off her breasts; in Tekken and VF, especially with Tag 2 and 5FS, everyone can be customized to be sexualized.

You didn't answer my question. Which ones have nearly as much T&A as DOA? None of those games do.

People act like fan service is bad. People act like breasts are evil and that bikinis should be burned. We have to remember that this is a game and the females in this game are selling a fantasy. That's why they have the fantastical costumes that they do, because in reality, nobody would wear a bikini or some of the outfits the females do in a real fight.

Of course fan service can be bad. Here is where you don't get it. It's not unreasonable to understand that the depiction of females in the games can be sexist; especially when in previous incarnations, it got in the way of the depth of the game itself. Personally, I would love less skin. I was drawn to DOA5 because of how smooth and fun the gameplay became. Forget the endless eyeroll-worthy costume threads and hairstyle threads.They could nary wear a bikini and I wouldn't blink. If less skin meant more players would take the game seriously, then I'm all for it. But I suppose I'm immature.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Sigh...guys, my fellow community members, please stop the nonsense. Doa is perfectly fine. If I must go over my history again, I was the very first Doa player who actually wanted a Competitive scene in the like of my first love VF! Maybe its due to to me being gay, but not once had i ever had a problem with Doa's sexualization. Its actually a breath of fresh air. I actually enjoy having a plethora of different costumes to choose from. Especially in comparison to most other 3D fighters with a gimped list. If you ask Mr. Wah, using Tina I would come up with fun different personas for her depending on the costume worn. lmao...In Doa2U I often times had Tina in the blue pants and scarf....naming her Lesbian Tina. I think u guys should simply enjoy the fact we have so many options. At the end of the day, the game is very deep and competitive. Trust, we can end up with something like VF!

Argentus

How does the fact that you claim it was a strong generalization negate what I said?

Let's face it, while DOA has become more focused on mechanics as of late, this was hardly ever the case in the past. The need for TK to cater to the pervs is what created the disaster that was DOA4. No one took that game as a serious fighter and deservedly so. So yes, it has a reputation for being shallow. And it's not because of gamer's immaturity.

Which other mainstream fighters have nearly as much T&A does?
*cough*Soul Calibur*cough

But seriously, the issue is that with DOA, they actively promote nothing BUT The fanservice. Most people aren't even aware it IS a real fighting game. All they see is boob jiggles and fetish outfits everywhere. Its hurting DOA's image BAD. At least with Extreme we could go "oh thats just the spinoff beach game".

Aerospark

Standard Donor
upload_2015-2-12_20-13-20.png

"oh this looks like a cool fighting game with some badass looking ninja"

upload_2015-2-12_20-13-28.png

"is that a halo character? wow this game looks really interesting, i think i might buy it"

upload_2015-2-12_20-13-35.png

"i swear this is a really good fighting game trust me don't mind the bikini just look past that pls i promise you wont be disappointed it's still a fighting game i swear no this isn't dead or alive xtreme it's the latest sequel pleaSE"

Aerospark

Standard Donor
I know, I only included some of the main Dead or Alive titles. I didn't feel like adding the re-releases/spin-offs.

Corvo792

*cough*Soul Calibur*cough

But seriously, the issue is that with DOA, they actively promote nothing BUT The fanservice. Most people aren't even aware it IS a real fighting game. All they see is boob jiggles and fetish outfits everywhere. Its hurting DOA's image BAD. At least with Extreme we could go "oh thats just the spinoff beach game".

Agreed 100%.

Rapham0n

I think fans are just overall sick of the DLC - regardless of what is released
THIS^ So much this^

How many pieces of DLC has been released for DOA5 and it's many iterations? Over 200? There comes a point where you just have to say: "Dude, no. 50 DLC pieces for any game is more than enough. Just stop now."

TN went completely bonkers with DLC for this game. And (most of it) is not even good DLC. It's mostly just costumes that look like they were designed within 2 minutes. And now they say they are planning to make more DLC for DOA5LR? Just stop already, TN.

This is one developer that totally overdid it with the DLC.

Anyway, back on topic: I think it's weird that people are OK with seeing someone get decapitated onscreen, but the moment you show a naked or semi-naked woman then everybody is up in arms. What's up with that?

werewolfgold

Anyway, back on topic: I think it's weird that people are OK with seeing someone get decapitated onscreen, but the moment you show a naked or semi-naked woman then everybody is up in arms. What's up with that?
I see people use this a lot. But, my question is is it the same group of people making the complaints? I know several people who are not cool at all with games like MK.

But, speaking generally, I think that a lot of the time it comes down to how how "forced" it is. Take Quiet from MGS5. Obviously MGS is known for doing all sorts of stupid stuff sexually, sometimes even for the men. And it also has its fair share of violence. But, her outfit comes off as so jarring and so unfitting for the setting, especially given how all of the other characters (I don't think there's anyone else but men at this point, which makes it worse) are designed/dressed, that people see it as completely dumb.

"But, it's a game and a fantasy." Suspension of disbelief doesn't work that way. Like I said, no one cares if a woman is wearing a bikini poolside or something. But, there is a growing number of people that are kind of sick of the most important part of women in video games (and other media) being T and A. And sometimes, it's to the point where nothing will get in the way of that portrayal. Setting, story, any of that? Nah. MUST SHOW BOOBS!!! Now, there's nothing wrong with sex and sexuality. But, you shouldn't be sacrificing a bunch of other facets like characterization for it, even within a game.

People say things like "but the dudes are shirtless" and that is true. Many times, even attractive. But, you're not twisting a bunch of mental logic into a pretzel to arrive at a Bruce Lee-inspired fighter (etc.) going topless. However, you're kind of pushing it for a ninja assassin dressing up as a playboy bunny. I don't think anyone is complaining about Mila wearing a sports bra. She's an MMA fighter. Makes sense. Everyone is going to battle in towels and/or using a giant lei to cover up their nipples? Well...

It's like if all the guys were dressed like Brera from Macross Frontier.
5688-472967652.jpg

Technically more clothed than Zack. But, still. WTF? Like, seriously, what's with that torso opening? How is his junk not falling out right now?

Now, some people do just want to throw everything out the window for their fantasies, and I guess that's fine. But, people may consider some fantasies to be "crazier" than others.

Last edited:

31gma

Cultural differences, Japanese people are more likely to be offended by violence shown in GTA than the jiggles in DOA. It's inverted in the US, although I strongly agree with the Japanese point of view for Violence > Sexual themes being more offensive.

But as werewolfgold said, the problem with DOA isn't the sexualization itself, it's the type and emphasis presented in the game and the way it hinders the development of the serious aspects. Hayashi's interview in Famitsu would ruin public perception to the game towards the general Western audience if it made it through major Western gaming news outlets. Even Shacknews unintentionally gave the franchise's image a black eye by tinkering with those breast physics until Mr. Wah came over.

Blash

I honestly don't think its a big deal at all.

Society has this mental "glass jaw" when it comes to political correctness and whats acceptable or not. I think people need to toughen up and learn how to look passed things. Sex sells. Its a tired cliche, but its true. DOA is a GREAT fighting game and if the outfit and google searches sell a few more copies, more power to them. If anyone is offend by its playful nature, then they are someone who wouldn't get ANY of my time.

Its a game with attractive characters male or female, and if you can't appreciate it, well... you need to unwind in my eyes! There are way more concerning things then some polygon boobs in polygon bikinis

:)

Woozy

Because it's lazy and they charge 2 dollars for it. Palette swaps, copy paste jobs, the christmas "costumes" were just fucking ribbons, swimsuits, Nurse outfits, swimsuits , schoolgirl outfits, swimsuits, Sports wear, swimsuits , did I mention swimsuits? Fucking swimsuits! You want one? THAT'LL BE TWO SHEKELS, GOY! See where I'm going with this?

Blash

Because it's lazy and they charge 2 dollars for it. Palette swaps, copy paste jobs, the christmas "costumes" were just fucking ribbons, swimsuits, Nurse outfits, swimsuits , schoolgirl outfits, swimsuits, Sports wear, swimsuits , did I mention swimsuits? Fucking swimsuits! You want one? THAT'LL BE TWO SHEKELS, GOY! See where I'm going with this?
Not really!
What I don't get is how NO ONE claims to like the swimsuits yet they seem to be the biggest seller. TN (or nay business for that matter) wouldn't put 1 minute behind something what wasnt going to make money. The swimsuit sell!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD