DOA5 Demo: Consolidated Feedback

R4712-VR88

One thing that keeps getting on my nerves, and is something that was prevalent as far back as DOA3 (not sure about DOA2), but if you press :h: while holding :4_: it will perform a hold. I mean this as an exaggerated holding period. You can literally be holding :4_: for a minute, press :h: and it performs a mid hold. This drives me insane, especially in DOA3 where holds are so easily punishable: Backstepping and spacing to guard an oncoming attack and you hold instead...

It should require a user to return to neutral and initiate :4: and :h:.

I've been trying to get around this by just using :4_: to guard. But there's an initial backstep before it triggers the guard, meaning i can't guard instantly from this method.

Welp, time to inform Team NINJA of this. :p

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That's what the online survey is for, and the purpose of this thread is to consolidate said feedback.

x Sypher x

One thing that keeps getting on my nerves, and is something that was prevalent as far back as DOA3 (not sure about DOA2), but if you press :h: while holding :4_: it will perform a hold. I mean this as an exaggerated holding period. You can literally be holding :4_: for a minute, press :h: and it performs a mid hold. This drives me insane, especially in DOA3 where holds are so easily punishable: Backstepping and spacing to guard an oncoming attack and you hold instead...

It should require a user to return to neutral and initiate :4: and :h:.

I've been trying to get around this by just using :4_: to guard. But there's an initial backstep before it triggers the guard, meaning i can't guard instantly from this method.

Yeah DOAD had that problem too lol. Another thing I would like for them to fix is the input delay of a hold after guard break. What I mean by this is when you anticipate an incoming attack (Kasumi's :4::P+K: for example) and you attempt to hold just a tad late and after the guard break animation ends the game still registers the input, forcing your character to hold afterwards even though you didn't intend to. This has ticked me off quite a few times. I'm not sure if this problem exists in other games but I've only experienced this in DOAD.

PhoenixVFIRE

Yeah DOAD had that problem too lol. Another thing I would like for them to fix is the input delay of a hold after guard break. What I mean by this is when you anticipate an incoming attack (Kasumi's :4::P+K: for example) and you attempt to hold just a tad late and after the guard break animation ends the game still registers the input, forcing your character to hold afterwards even though you didn't intend to. This has ticked me off quite a few times. I'm not sure if this problem exists in other games but I've only experienced this in DOAD.

That was in DoA4 as well, I'm sure it can happen with any type of Guard Break, but I mostly experienced doing and having that happened to me by Kasumi's charge. It's almost a strategy for a free grab at this point :p

Allan Paris

I have not known of that to happen offline they usually get held on reaction, not saying that it can't happen offline. But why would you attempt to hold, "Just a tad late?" That is a very common problem online because of connections between players. Most of that "problem" may be you and getting your timing down better.

x Sypher x

I have not known of that to happen offline they usually get held on reaction, not saying that it can't happen offline. But why would you attempt to hold, "Just a tad late?" That is a very common problem online because of connections between players. Most of that "problem" may be you and getting your timing down better.

Yes I will admit that my timing is a little off sometimes, especially when I'm aiming for a well-timed (HI COUNTER) hold. But it still bothers me that it happens. It doesn't make sense.

Berzerk!

Tried to shorten MrWah's feedback as follows, and placed it on front page. I agree, this is a very important little tweak I wish I included earlier!

Hold while walking backwards should require a user to return to neutral and initiate Back + Hold
Currently if you press Hold while holding Back it will perform a hold, even after a minute of pushing back. This hurts the ability to use Backstepping and spacing, because when you guard an oncoming attack and you hold instead.

Jefffcore

If you react too late to a hold, you kinda react too late. The point is if you miss your hold it comes out after the guard break. It happens all the time online because holds are always late.

x Sypher x

If you react too late to a hold, you kinda react too late. The point is if you miss your hold it comes out after the guard break. It happens all the time online because holds are always late.

Yeah I understand that but I think the hold shouldn't come out after the guard break unless I actually want to, it's stupid IMO. If I miss the hold, fine, but don't force me to hold after my failed attempt.

Raansu

It happens due to the buffering system in the game.

Jefffcore

Yeah I understand that but I think the hold shouldn't come out after the guard break unless I actually want to, it's stupid IMO. If I miss the hold, fine, but don't force me to hold after my failed attempt.
I was agreeing with you, I didn't understand why people were arguing with you.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
i dont know if this has been addressed yet ...
but I want jumps back ...
the game feels akward without them (as little use as those moves had )

Gill Hustle

Yeah if they could work sorta like SC (Hold Guard) maybe they could bring them back. I wonder if they were removed if they messed with the Free Step, idk.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Yeah if they could work sorta like SC (Hold Guard) maybe they could bring them back. I wonder if they were removed if they messed with the Free Step, idk.

free step was always there ... theyve been fine together for ages ... i dont understand why they took them out .. it wouldnt even interfere with the inputs ...

Allan Paris

At first I was like, "what the hell is a jump back?" Then I realized you were saying you want the characters to be able to jump again in DOA. No, they did good taking that out. It caused more problems than anything, at least in doa4. I also think the 360 pad had something to do with the jump being annoying as well.

Keylay

They should have initial frames for critical stuns where the opponent can't perform a specific hold or any holds. You shouldn't be able to slow escape stuns where the opponent can't perform any hold and they should add more recovery frames to holds (specifically low holds).

For example (using DOAD), Kasumi's cartwheel kick :6::K: causes the opponent to bend over and grab their stomach. The opponent should only be able to perform a mid/low hold. Kasumi could do :8::K: and get a guaranteed launcher if the opponent does nothing, tries to slow escape, or performs a mid hold. If the opponent does a low hold, the attack will miss but Kasumi should still have the advantage because of the recovery frames of the low hold. Another option for her could be to do :4::K::K:. The first kick hits high and the second hits mid so the second attack should launch the opponent. If the opponent didn't do a low hold, then the first hit will be guaranteed and then the opponent be put into another stun which may or may not allow the opponent to perform a specific hold.

We know Ryu has an attack that prevents the opponent from performing a hold for a certain amount of frames and he should get a guaranteed attack so I think they should remove slow escape from that stun.

Looking at the trip stun, the opponent is on the ground and should only be able to perform a low hold and not a high/mid hold. Although most of the time, you're still recovering from doing the low attack and the opponent recovers from the stun before you can attack. But it could be interesting for Tag Mode if you switch in your partner after tripping your opponent.

I think this would add some variety to stuns and you could get some guaranteed damage. There should still be some stuns where the opponent can hold any attack.

Gill Hustle

At first I was like, "what the hell is a jump back?" Then I realized you were saying you want the characters to be able to jump again in DOA. No, they did good taking that out. It caused more problems than anything, at least in doa4. I also think the 360 pad had something to do with the jump being annoying as well.

That's kinda what I what I meant with my earlier post.

Don't know how useful they would be (lord knows I try to make anything useful), but if they did it like SC, then we could start corpse hopping. :cool:

That's my take on it.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor

i dunno ... ive always played on stick ... never had a promblem ... :s
(no im not turning into a debate that stick is better than pad ... i acctually am a strong believer that you can be good with whatever as long as what you're using can give you the results you're looking for)

i just find it weird that people had trouble with it .. i dunno ... its just so weird to have the game let you go in every fricken direction except .. up ... lol ...

but i do understand if its not something thats gonna be missed .. its not like it had a major role in a sense ... but .. a random jump over a low attack is fun from time to time .. always catches people off guard .. :p

Allan Paris

The jumping had 2 good things about them. A jumping punch RD1 fight would beat out any characters 6:P: and like you mentioned you could hop over low wake-up kicks or low kicks and counter hit with a jumping kick or punch. Still the jumping being removed was ok. With stick it may be fine but with this dumb pad (xbox 360) it's another story. They are bound to happen involuntarily sooner or later.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
hey guys I dont know if anyone else noticed this ...

on NEUTRAL crouching (IE when just holding :2: not :1: or :3:) if you hit the opponent with a low attack they AUTO BLOCK !!!

I dont like that .. its never been there before ... I think its stupid... and I want it removed ...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD