We are Fighters

DOA6 Sexualization Discussion

Discussion in 'Dead or Alive 6 General Discussion' started by Kasumi, Jun 8, 2018.

1. King Anubis

King Anubis Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi
    PSN ID:
    Xx_Onryoh_xX
    You perverts really need to shut the fuck up.
    TN announces that 6 won’t have their titty jiggle and over the top revealing costumes and every pervert is losing their shit. Seriously, people see Kasumi in the trailer in not her original C1 and everybody suddenly says “she’s censored”. No bitch, she isn’t censored she just wears a new costume that isn’t revealing. Helena wears a dress where she has cleavage and you can see her panties so where’s the censorship? Just because TN decides to tone down the slutty costumes doesn’t mean it’s suddenly censored. You perverts need to grow up and

YEH, CounterTerrorist, Truth and 2 others like this.
  2. Cadaveri

Cadaveri Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Ein
    Gamertag:
    Cadav3ri
    PSN ID:
    Cadaveri
    From a person who knows DOA and It's history etc point of view, you can clearly see their going for this serious route for esports acceptance in the FGC plain and simple. Though from general consumer/casual fan point of view, It's clear as day censorship/SJW name your pick. (and let's face it, there has been a lot of censorship in games lately)

I can easily see why many people are very angry about these changes. I hope Team ninja finds a middle path with this whole ordeal, pleasing the competitive FGC crowds(esports) & the casual fans(let's face it, the larger consumer base)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. werewolfgold

werewolfgold Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Ayane
    PSN ID:
    werewolfgold
    Well, that's the thing. If their goal was to break more into the esports scene, then yeah. They're going to go talk to the esports people.

DLC incoming. lol

There is some kind of "middle ground" somewhere. After all, there are plenty of esports games that get away with a hell of a lot. But, it will have to be in the middle, meaning that something will have to give. I think being "all or nothing" about it is unreasonable, given that one, we don't know everything they have planned, and two, it's not like everything that was in DOA4 was in DOA5 and some things in DOA5 went beyond what was in DOA4. And all the way down the line. No one was getting the exact same amount of "sexualization" in each game. Hell, I don't remember swimsuits being in DOA4 even, when they were in DOA2U. Did people freak out then? They were fine with "less" before but won't be now?

I know it's not the best comparison. But, the amount of "sexualization" has been going up and down all along and people who think themselves fans should at least realize that before trying to burn the house down.

Hayabusiness likes this.
  4. Tina2040_

Tina2040_ Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!! I agree!!!

Like I said, Tina will wear something sexy, because that's her character. Kasumi is covered up because they're trying to push her character in a different direction like they tried with Ayane's C1 in DOA3. She's a true ninja now. It's NOT censorship!!
    Yes her original C1 is iconic, but that is so 2000! Kasumi is different now.
    You'll see the perverts come to their senses when Honoka or Marie comes out. There'll be fanservice.

Everyone needs to relax. You will get some revealing outfits.

King Anubis likes this.
  5. just_me

just_me Well-Known Member

I'll continue this here since this is the proper thread…

“Amekomi” lol I completely glanced over this and just read American. The Japanese are really lazy when it comes to foreign words, eh? Animation… too long Anime. Political correctness… omg plz no “Polikorre”

Anyway… this just concerns the redesigns and not the use of the Soft Engine… I'd still disagree that Cpt. Marvels redesign is the main inspiration for dropping the Soft Engine (and again… there were no explicit statements, that there won't be any bounce in later builds) is something you can reasonably infer from the interview.

And I guess you also have to look at this from the perspective of someone not involved in the “culture war”. He can like the fact that the suits are no longer just body paint (applies to the man as well) and still be in favor of some curves… and I think Kasumi's design reflects that. Her boobs didn't shrink, the gave the whole suit an “underwear on top” vibe and she wears heels. Her feminity seems pretty much still intact… and then there is Helena. It's obviously not as on the nose as an apron and underwear combo… but does it have to be?

Imo people put too much emphasis on these statements, instead of looking at the actual designs. They don't seem to imply any female will look like Cpt. Marvel anytime soon.

Also:

As a rule of thumb something like “the higher the amount of costumes per female, the higher the proportion of skimpy outfits per female” holds up rather well XD DoA3 had the fewest costumes in general and hardly anything skimpy, DoA2U had a lot more and also a lot more Bikini and Fetish stuff… and DoA5LR has up to 60(70?) outfits per char and we all know how the catalog looks :p

6. Truth

Truth New Member

You can't conflate the two. Censorship in gaming is rooted in conservatism. Which political party always has something negative to say about games when there is a mass shooting? And SJWs (if by that you mean leftists?), never even acknowledge perversion in Japanese entertainment, much less criticise it. You might want to take a second look, because this point of view is pretty delusional.

[​IMG]

King Anubis likes this.
  7. KwonJigglypuff

KwonJigglypuff Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Helena Douglas
    PSN ID:
    KwonJiggypuff
    Desexualisation of the game is a good thing, as it could mean some girls might have muscle definition maybe ?
    Just imagine a trailer titled "The Strong Queens" revealing Tina, Lisa and Mila with abs/muscles definitions ? (and Bass of course)

And the comeback of this costume.

[​IMG]

I'm all for TN's new direction. If only they could hire good costumes artists to make dark and mature arts.

Blash, Hailo_Hwm, YEH and 3 others like this.
  8. Cadaveri

Main Character:
    Ein
    Gamertag:
    Cadav3ri
    PSN ID:
    Cadaveri
    We're not talking about Japanese entertainment, we're talking about a game that is made for western audience (as well as Asia ofc).

I don't know who exactly is being delusional here.

9. Project Bokuho

Project Bokuho Lady Helena's Pet
    Premium Donor Standard Donor

Main Character:
    Helena Douglas
    Gamertag:
    Project Bokuho
    PSN ID:
    HelloMrBokiHoki
    I never understood why they got rid of this costume. Hopefully it comes back for DOA6.

10. otnesse

otnesse Active Member

Gamertag:
    Eric
    3DS Friend Code:
    4081-6747-1999
    PSN ID:
    ejo123
    Steam:
    otness_e
    Apparently, you haven't looked around much if you think us Conservatives want censorship in video games. Do I really have to remind you of Anita Sarkeesian or who ever that feminist nut was who complains about women in video games? Last I checked, she's no conservative, but a flaming leftist. And let's not forget about GamerGate, which dealt with gamers having had enough of left-wing journalists trying to influence games to make them more left-wing SJW stuff and censor anything not of the left in them. Heck, if anything, Conservatives are the ones who would fight AGAINST censorship in video games right now. And believe me, I can name a few games that actually have quite a bit of conservative values right now like patriotism and promotion of family and even condemning the occult. Dead or Alive is one of them. I can also name the Contra series, the Metal Slug series, the Metroid series, the Zelda series, just to name a few.

Also, regarding perversion, let me make clear that I'm not necessarily against getting rid of tittilation. For one thing, I do think some of the costumes in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate and Last Round seemed too sexualized even by DOA standards, being more fit for something like Penthouse magazine (I don't recall even DOA2U having outfits literally composed of the girls wearing nothing but bandages/ribbons, heck, even DOAX even.). The ribbons could go. But I do think the degree that they're going about it right now is way too far, especially if they're going as far as to outright reduce the bust size of several characters. I'm sorry, but that's pretty much their trademark whether you like it or not. To put it in perspective, it's like turning Iron Man into a girl, or turning Thor into a woman. No one would want that (and in fact, when Marvel DID do those things, comic sales tanked). And that example is indeed relevant since, as just_me said when quoting me, the guy who revealed he removed the Soft Engine thing specifically stated he had been inspired by the direction American Comics went with female characters, which involved stuff like Captain Marvel's redesign.

And BTW, my main reason for being a fan of the DOA series has very little to do with the fanservice, it has to do with the story and the messages it brings about (and yes, it actually DOES have messages it brings about. Just look at Kasumi's overall character arc, where she is trying to get back to her family. Last I checked, that pushed pro-family values).

Cadaveri likes this.
  11. Tina2040_

Tina2040_ Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I've always thought this was based off WWF Diva Terri, which I thought was cool.

Speaking of: I would LOVE if Tina rocked an outfit like this in DOA6. #bringbackcowgirltina
    [​IMG]

Hayabusiness and Blash like this.
  12. KwonJigglypuff

KwonJigglypuff Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Helena Douglas
    PSN ID:
    KwonJiggypuff
    Not only it is cool, but it also tells strong independant female fighter.

13. NewWestFan

NewWestFan Active Member

Main Character:
    Lisa
    PSN ID:
    NewWestFan
    I don't know about outfits, but they definitely need to step up Tina's definition if they're going for the "Cool" look. Girl is suplexing her own daddy. Let's see some representation through at the very least specular mapping.

Not asking for like, Rainbow Mika levels of savagery. Girl should definitely look like you don't want to take a hit to the jaw from her elbow or knee though.

14. just_me

just_me Well-Known Member

I was also wondering if they will go for different body shapes this time…
    Athletic/(reasonably) muscular for Mila and Tina and I guess making Honoka a bit chubbier (think Super Pochaco) could be a good way to “justify” her huge boobs. This also fits the tiny bit of character she has… her hobbies are pretty much “Netflix and chill” and her food preference in X3 is sweet stuff and all kinds of junk food lol

Just try to avoid any fat girl jokes if you don't want to substitute the objectification articles with fat-shaming think pieces (I'm waiting for the first violence against women article tbh “DoA took a tiny step forward and a giant leap back - How the series finally manages to show their women as people but still fails to treat them as such” … or something like that)

15. NewWestFan

NewWestFan Active Member

Main Character:
    Lisa
    PSN ID:
    NewWestFan
    Ahhh the current state of affairs in this country. The sad thing is you're right that article is coming as soon as journalists who don't even play fighting games get their hands on the images of Kasumi getting clocked. Pretending like we live in the dark ages where Women's Division isn't a thing in UFC and MMA in general. Ronda Rousey famously caught a roundhouse to the jaw flat footed and nearly lost all her teeth and videos of it in slow-mo montages with comedic music were up on YouTube the next day. Watch them try and chastise DOA for giving the girls just as much punishment as the guys.

Also: Still don't see what everyone loves Honoka for unless it's the bust, but if Tina were that tiny she would look absolutely ridiculous so. No love for the OG big buster I guess. :oops:

16. Truth

Truth New Member

It is Japanese entertainment, its made in Japan, by Japanese people and pulls mostly from Japanese culture. DOA has never been a cultural staple in the western world. The game is made primarily for Asians, and has had minimal cross over potential so far. There are AMPLE Japanese games that indulge in upskirt photography, sexualising highschoolers, objectifying images of women that do get any notable backlash from liberal media. So yeh, to think that this factors into how DOA navigates the industry is pretty delusional.

[​IMG]

King Anubis and Tina2040_ like this.
  17. Truth

Truth New Member

For anyone upset about these changes, look on the bright side. You can always play rumble roses.

[​IMG]

King Anubis likes this.
  18. NewWestFan

NewWestFan Active Member

Main Character:
    Lisa
    PSN ID:
    NewWestFan
    Actually if you look at the numbers 5 sold more units in NA than it did in JP, and LR sold even. They can't ignore one half of their market even if it is a Japanese developed game. Money talks a lot louder than you think. I'm not calling anyone delusional or arguing for or against the loodz, I'm just saying. NA is a large factor in DOA sales and success.

19. Cadaveri

Main Character:
    Ein
    Gamertag:
    Cadav3ri
    PSN ID:
    Cadaveri
    You do realize that past DOA games have sold way more in the US & EU than Asia? Saying It's made primarily for Asian audiences is false

20. Truth

Truth New Member

You're missing the point. I never said anything about who is buying Dead or Alive. That is neither here nor there. The bottom line is Dead or Alive is an extension of Japanese culture and is seen as such. The last Naruto game sold more copies in North America than all of the rest of the world's sales combined. That doesn't mean to say Japan isn't their primary market, and who the experience is tailored around. Just because it sold more in NA, doesn't make it more Hollywood than Japanese. It is still at it's essence Japanese entertainment.
    So again, there are AMPLE Japanese games that indulge in upskirt photography, sexualising highschoolers, objectifying images of women that do get any notable backlash from liberal media. So yeh, to think that this factors into how DOA navigates the industry is pretty delusional.

[​IMG]