EVO 2013: DoA5 has a shot! But there's a catch...

evo.jpg

So the EVO 2013 lineup was announced just moments ago on Wakeup SRK, and it's the largest EVO roster in years. Dead or Alive 5, unfortunately, is not on the main roster. This is due in no small part to a lack of consistent offline support in comparison to other games. We've been on the upswing, especially after the solid showing at NEC, however we have a lot of building to do yet. This is something that we're still working hard on changing, but this is currently our reality.

Now, the title says we still have a shot, and we do, but that catch is really going to put us in a put up or shut up position like never before! The Player's Choice slot, EVO 2013's eighth title, goes to the community and game that donates the most money to a chosen charity. The other part was that the game had to receive more than 500 votes in the poll that ran on the EVO Facebook page, which we did pull off. As of this writing, the donation page (link at the top) states we have 21 days to donate as much as we can, or til the end of January.

This is a chance for the entire DoA community to back our game. Online players, offline players, stream monsters, EVERYONE has an equal opportunity to help out the community. If you can't travel, toss a few bucks at the donation. If you prefer online play for any reason, donate anyway. If you do travel, definitely donate. Everyone should be donating as much as they can so that we can get our game back on the EVO main stage. Even if that doesn't happen, your money still goes to charity.

So DoA community: FSD members and DoAWorld members, online and offline players, casuals and pros...the time to step up or stay off to the side is coming!

And at the end of the day, this doesn't do anything for the intended goal, which is getting the game into EVO.

More Emotional investment = More support = More Money.

Your average person isn't an altruist and most can't relate to a corporation, which is what most charities seem to be nowadays.

We find a person/family, tell his/her/their story, make the emtional connection - money rolls in from within AND from outside the community, we get to evo, a person(s) are immediately up lifted by you and me.

Thats how my idea works in the simplest terms possible.

You're dumb as shit if you think that EVO will allow one single game to donate under a different set of rules. Smashboards has already shot itself in the foot thinking that and bickering over it, don't let the same happen to DOA5.

Y'all just have to accept the fact that this is basically, "pay to get your game in." The fact that it's going to a charity is just a happy result. You need to apply good fighting game mentality to this - do whatever it takes to win.
If this is how we're going to win... I really gotta support the other guy.

Seriously, I don't want to have to be the enemy here. I have no problems with the charity, personally; I have no problem saying that insisting on how we use the money is unreasonable (as has been rightly said above).

I take serious offense at the tone used, the lack of grace towards criticism, and the sense of entitlement. DOA5 is not so important to me that I need to maintain my support, no strings attached. And if this is supposed to be something of a democratic process, realize that others who might be inclined to support the game will turn on a directive that shows less in the way of leadership and more in the way of domineering.

(Were this isolated, I'd handwave... but it's in the regular character of what I've seen)

Play to win? Sell the game on its own merits, sell the process on its own merits, sell this community on its own merits. And maybe you might pick up the donations you'll need.

But, right now? It's hard to think i want to reward this with money. There are, indeed, far more worthy causes out there.

If this is how we're going to win... I really gotta support the other guy.

Seriously, I don't want to have to be the enemy here. I have no problems with the charity, personally; I have no problem saying that insisting on how we use the money is unreasonable (as has been rightly said above).

I take serious offense at the tone used, the lack of grace towards criticism, and the sense of entitlement. DOA5 is not so important to me that I need to maintain my support, no strings attached. And if this is supposed to be something of a democratic process, realize that others who might be inclined to support the game will turn on a directive that shows less in the way of leadership and more in the way of domineering.

Play to win? Sell the game on its own merits, sell the process on its own merits, sell this community on its own merits. And maybe you might pick up the donations you'll need.

But, right now? It's hard to think i want to reward this with money. There are, indeed, far more worthy causes out there.
I'm going to be frank. The other communities are likely already doing whatever it takes to get their games at EVO. Bronies are most likely already abusing their parents credit cards and calling support from 4chan trolls to get the game in (just as a joke even). Meanwhile, I've heard some players actually thinking of asking Hevad Khan (former SC and MvC2 player turned poker pro), the same guy to bankrolled the $40,000 MvC2 money match between Toan and Fanatiq to help pad the numbers for their game.

Now I'm not asking people to do stuff like this (especially the credit card thing). However, if you do want DOA5 to be at EVO, then you have to realize that this is a pure numbers game, plain and simple.

I'm going to be frank. The other communities are likely already doing whatever it takes to get their games at EVO. Bronies are most likely already abusing their parents credit cards and calling support from 4chan trolls to get the game in (just as a joke even). Meanwhile, I've heard some players actually thinking of asking Hevad Khan (former SC and MvC2 player turned poker pro), the same guy to bankrolled the $40,000 MvC2 money match between Toan and Fanatiq to help pad the numbers for their game.

Now I'm not asking people to do stuff like this (especially the credit card thing). However, if you do want DOA5 to be at EVO, then you have to realize that this is a pure numbers game, plain and simple.

And what and who would it cost to treat dissent with decency? Who is going to not donate because you didn't toss enough ad hominems in a post?

It doesn't take much. You're losing me here, and I may not be alone, either.

I'm donating 500.

You can't afford $10?
I LOVE YOU MR.WAH....Seriously, though I would love to see DOA5 at Evo this year if the community can make it happen...Question, I don't remember Melty Blood having to donate to be part of Evo in 2010 but was through popular vote which is different than the way it's being handled this year. If anyone can explain how M.B. made it then I am all ears...And can we seriously stop with the argument/discussion about which side the money would benefit the most, I think we should just donate if we want to donate or don't....There is no reason for all this back and forth...I don't like fights -_______-

And what and who would it cost to treat dissent with decency? Who is going to not donate because you didn't toss enough ad hominems in a post?

It doesn't take much. You're losing me here, and I may not be alone, either.
The point is this - do whatever it is that you legally can do to get the game in. Got some money? Donate it. Know someone who has money that they'ld like to give to charity? Then point them towards this. Think that TN might be interested in pumping money into this? Then go ahead and tell them to do so (because I'm pretty sure that certain PR suits at WB and Sony are likely thinking about this already).
More Emotional investment = More support = More Money.

Your average person isn't an altruist and most can't relate to a corporation, which is what most charities seem to be nowadays.

We find a person/family, tell his/her/their story, make the emtional connection - money rolls in from within AND from outside the community, we get to evo, a person(s) are immediately up lifted by you and me.

Thats how my idea works in the simplest terms possible.
Except there's most likely some reason for why they chose this particular charity. This means that they likely wont be open to having the DOA community donate elsewhere. Especially since, in the spirit of fairness, this would mean that the other communities would need to be given the same option as well. This would work against whatever initial reason it is that they chose to work with the BCRF in the first place.

The point is this - do whatever it is that you legally can do to get the game in. Got some money? Donate it. Know someone who has money that they'ld like to give to charity? Then point them towards this. Think that TN might be interested in pumping money into this? Then go ahead and tell them to do so (because I'm pretty sure that certain PR suits at WB and Sony are likely thinking about this already).

I don't have a problem with this per se, I really do not. But not without boundaries. I'd love to watch a lot of these fighting games; further, I have many to whom I'd like to give. (I can be a bit of a sucker, TBH)

But I read posts from those you'd think would be marshaling the troops, and I see them calling other people things like "dumb as shit", gratuitously and needlessly. And then I remember all of those other causes I could donate to. And I donate to them.

I want to support this game. I really do. But I have to do it in good faith, and I can't be the only one whose faith gets shaken by behavior that is unworthy of the honor and glory.

Let's try to stay focused. Donations if you can, respectful silence if you disagree with the process or cause, and civil discussion for the rest of us. I really shouldn't have to say this stuff in this kind of a thread. No matter which way you slice it, this is a good opportunity for this community. Stop bickering please. Posts that are unrelated to the topic will be deleted without warning.

Looking at the list, you can kinda tell people voted for some of those games because they thought it would be cool/funny to see them at EVO and are probably not serious enough to the point of donating money.

Is there a way to see how the donations are doing (what game is ahead)?

I might donate. And I'm not even in the USA. But I want DOA5 on EVO. Right now it's all 2D games + TTT2. I'm not interested in any of those games. Sad VF5FS is not in either. (I'll probably donate a little for DOA5 and a little for VF5FS too as either of them would be great at EVO)

really after taking the time to read some of the other FGC boards. Im really getting the feeling DOA has a good shot. I was scared of the melee group but its seem 50/50 with them all. Its also fairly easy to see we have the older mature FGC with money lol. Now so long as no studios jump in. Ive put what lil I had in and when I get paid again I want to put at least $100. Keep it up guys I have faith!!

Except there's most likely some reason for why they chose this particular charity. This means that they likely wont be open to having the DOA community donate elsewhere. Especially since, in the spirit of fairness, this would mean that the other communities would need to be given the same option as well. This would work against whatever initial reason it is that they chose to work with the BCRF in the first place.

Did we ask if we could? No.

Will every community be on board with the idea? No.

So ours would be unique because we all agreed on it? Ok.

But its all moot right now - lets just take our chances with this stupid plan and lets buy a bunch of pink ribbons instead of buying a single woman a reprieve from the bill collectors.

Its not fair, I wanted to see Injustice at Evo :c Remove one of those capcom games dammit.
But I donated $2.07 cause its all I had, hope we get it.

Ill donate $100 if 4 other guys do it with me, whos with me, sorwah donated $500
Ill donate $100 on my birthday

Tom Cannon's post from the SRK thread.
  • We chose the donation poll for two reasons: It's unscammable in a way that a facebook poll is not, and Evo strongly believes in giving and paying-it-forward.
  • Results are hidden (for now) because we want to get a measure of how much each community really supports their game. This is an opportunity for the communities to put their money where their mouth is. If you can't be bothered to give $5 to CHARITY in the name of your game, how much do you really support it?
  • We're unquestionably losing money by doing this. The additional cost in manpower, space, equipment, etc. far exceeds any benefit we will reap in terms of additional sponsors, new attendees, etc. The difference between a 7 and 8 game lineup just isn't significant from an attendance or sponsorship perspective. We're doing this as a thank you to the game scenes who have supported Evo through the years and because we think it's a cool idea. So...
  • I understand if you're not excited by this because your favorite game probably won't win, but please don't play the victim and pretend we're somehow ripping you off. :) This whole shenanigan is a bonus gift. Just because you didn't win doesn't mean you lost.

I'm in the middle of finalizing a move, but I plan to make a relatively sizable contribution once I'm sure I'm done bleeding money into that. Once I've actually done it, I'll post up. Please toss whatever you can manage in. If you have reservations about contributing simply because DoA might not win...you might want to reconsider being here, to put it bluntly.

EDIT: Just so assumptions are not made later, I will contribute at bare-minimum $100. My intention is to at least match Mr. Wah's contribution, but as anybody who has ever tried moving apartments outside of a lease cycle knows, it gets expensive when one party doesn't want to play ball with a minor extension on a lease.

But I read posts from those you'd think would be marshaling the troops, and I see them calling other people things like "dumb as shit", gratuitously and needlessly. And then I remember all of those other causes I could donate to. And I donate to them.

I want to support this game. I really do. But I have to do it in good faith, and I can't be the only one whose faith gets shaken by behavior that is unworthy of the honor and glory.

It sounds like you're just throwing out pathetic excuses to not help out. The only reason people are making a fuss is because Julius Rage is being ridiculous. Don't let some bad words or small name calling scare you.

Just so assumptions aren't made later I'm going to get this shit into evo myself.

And just so assumptions aren't made later you all need to have the same fucking attitude.

P.S Just so assumptions are not made later is my new catch phrase.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD