IGN's 12 Days of DOA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

DrDogg, would it be possible to send those Lisa upgrade suggestions (and ones for other doomed characters, like Brad, and potentially Helena) to TN? As the writer of the Prima strategy guide, you're clearly more than qualified, and your suggestions sound great. At the last tourney, at Hot Import Nights, Rikuto classified Lisa (and Brad too, I assume) as "parlor trick characters" -- i.e. pretty much useless in legitimate play. He literally said they were "bad to use." I know there will always be high-middle-low tier, but that degree of worthlessness is pretty upsetting.

Sorry for singling you out. I just think you probably carry a bit more clout with TN than the rest of us schmucks. ^^"

Been there, done that. If I had more time I'd send in detailed frame data adjustments, but unfortunately I don't have enough available time to get that detailed. Maybe once the guide is done I can do that if there's still time to make changes before a potential patch.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Hmmmm is it like normal that the guests in a fighting game are God Tier ? I mean, isn't it like an "agreement" from Konami to Nintendo (SSBB/Snake) for example.

"You want our characters in your game ? Okay, well we want money.. and make them God Tier!"

It's possible, but I doubt it. Not all guest characters are good. Sonic sucks in Brawl, and Kratos is one of the worst in MK9.

As for Snake, I know that Hideo Kojima (MGS creator) actually came to Sakurai (SSB creator) asking that Snake be included in Brawl. In fact, he asked for Snake to be in Melee too, but it was too late in development.

Paulina

Been there, done that. If I had more time I'd send in detailed frame data adjustments, but unfortunately I don't have enough available time to get that detailed. Maybe once the guide is done I can do that if there's still time to make changes before a potential patch.
Okay. =) Thanks for being so proactive. It's reassuring to know the powers that be are looking out for the nerf tier (and those of us soon-to-be nerf tier...:helena: T_T)

DontForkWitMe

It's possible, but I doubt it. Not all guest characters are good. Sonic sucks in Brawl, and Kratos is one of the worst in MK9.

As for Snake, I know that Hideo Kojima (MGS creator) actually came to Sakurai (SSB creator) asking that Snake be included in Brawl. In fact, he asked for Snake to be in Melee too, but it was too late in development.

don't forget cole macgrath in sfxt. its like capcom did everything in their power to make him complete shit and worthless. on that note where does ezio stand in SCV as far as tiers go?

MaxwellMouse

You are making the VF chatacters sound kinda unbalanced honestly if they are that much better. Playing more like VF then DOA. I wish that they were more in line with the rest of the great characters. Surely Team Ninja foresaw this happening, they are the ones who made them that way.

Master_Thespian

No. In this case it's just that in order for the VF characters to play anything like their VF5FS counterparts, they walk all over the DOA characters. In VF a lot of attacks are safe and/or advantage, in DOA most attacks are unsafe. Two different games.
Hopefully SEGA's deal makes it so the DOA team can't nerf their characters and the team is instead forced to make the DOA characters better.

Doug Nguyen

I guess a ground throw makes sense since Lisa is a grappler. Doesn't the fact that she is a grappler now helps her in DOA5 ? She could have the ground throw from that tag move with Hitomi at 5:54.
To me Lisa is more of a technical/grappler character. I think they left the ground throws for characters that are exclusively grapplers.

DontForkWitMe

hearing how much better the vf characters are makes it even more of a shame that my vf main lion wasn't chosen as one of the guests. it would've been a massacre for me... i mean he has a fast low attack that launches on counter hit....you read that shit right.... a fast high crushing "LOW" attack that launches. he would easily rip the doa characters to shreds with this one move alone

Zeo

Sheesh I was going to main Hitomi but after hearing all this hoopla about the VF characters I might have to go back to Akira.

MaxwellMouse

hearing how much better the vf characters are makes it even more of a shame that my vf main lion wasn't chosen as one of the guests. it would've been a massacre for me... i mean he has a fast low attack that launches on counter hit....you read that shit right.... a fast high crushing "LOW" attack that launches. he would easily rip the doa characters to shreds with this one move alone
Which would be awful. Why play DOA if that is what you want. Just play Virtua Fighter. The DOA characters should not not play second fiddle in their own game.

TRI Mike

I'm not saying the VF guys are OP or anything as I obviously haven't played the game's post-alpha builds but if we get lucky and DOA5 starts to have a nice competitive scene both online and offline, people will start doing what I call "tier-whoring" which is ignoring all not-top tier characters and going for the best. If Sarah and Akira are the best, it's gonna be unfair.

I dunno, it bothers me a little that there's a big chance the DOA5 high-level play will be dominated by VF characters. I don't like that one bit. I really hope TN can buff the DOA guys to their level instead of nerfing the already-awesome Akira and Sarah.

Regarding Helena, I'm 99% sure Bryan was talking about her. It's gonna be really lame to get used to a character that probably won't have good-enough tools after seven years of maining her in DOA4 where she was a beast. I can't wait to try her out.

TRI Mike

I always get pissed off that no matter what, some characters end up being shit.

I'm still very mad about MvC3 Hsien-Ko.

Lexmark2

I always get pissed off that no matter what, some characters end up being shit.

I'm still very mad about MvC3 Hsien-Ko.
I'm still mad about that very thing as well, she complete garbarge in the vanilla game. Well at least morrigan was good in mvc3 so I made out ok.

Blazeincarnated

Stop crying like little bitches...Yall not making the situation no better.. All yall doing is making people as I speak, mad as fuck.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
At the end of the day, the community will need to play the game and see what characters are good, better or worse.

DrDogg

At the end of the day, the community will need to play the game and see what characters are good, better or worse.

It doesn't take much to determine if a character is good. In their current state, Akira and Sarah are good. Having more people play the game won't change that. The only thing that may change is that other characters may be better than what we originally assumed.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
How did my statement differ from what you just said? The game is in its last trimester, and yet to be born. Once it is in everyones hands will we know the true state of the games tier list.

DrDogg

How did my statement differ from what you just said? The game is in its last trimester, and yet to be born. Once it is in everyones hands will we know the true state of the games tier list.

The community doesn't need to play the game to determine that Akira and Sarah are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD