IGN's 12 Days of DOA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinigamimatt

I don't mind the tiers as long as they're close together. DOA4 Bass to a DOA3 Hayate comparison would be awful.

I'm gonna play Kasumi no matter what, but I'd like to have a character that could compete with most of the cast.

Everyone else is gonna put in the effort and time practicing their character, so I want mine to mean something. Likewise, telling a Helena player to play someone else isn't good enough. A Helena player doesn't want that. They want Helena to not suck.

Codemaster92163

I don't want Helena to suck, but hey, whether she's good or bad is good for me. If she's good, then all the more reason to play her. If she's bad, then there won't be swarms of people gathering on top of her (something I dislike). So, in any case, Helena will be my main through thick and thin (: I'll find a way to make her work.

Blazeincarnated

l_5034519d24385.jpg
l_5034519d655e2.jpg

Close Up.

Paulina

I don't want Helena to suck, but hey, whether she's good or bad is good for me. If she's good, then all the more reason to play her. If she's bad, then there won't be swarms of people gathering on top of her (something I dislike). So, in any case, Helena will be my main through thick and thin (: I'll find a way to make her work.
Preach, brother. =)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
OK guys the 12 days has ended. New screens and info are their own topic. This thread is for discussion of the IPL event and Bryan's articles.

DrDogg

That makes sense is regards to La Maraposa. Still unfortunate she don't have great tools for competitive play. What do you think they could do to make her more viable while keeping her mix up style?

- Allow her to CB in 3 hits.
- Give her a BT Critical Burst in addition to her normal one.
- Make it so that she's safer transitioning into BT.
- Give her a low throw from BT (preferably an offensive hold).
- Make her 1K grant frame advantage instead of a knock down. Something along the lines of Hitomi's 2H+K. It's advantage, but not a traditional critical stun.
- Either speed up her run stance attacks so they can't be easily interrupted, or give her more advantage going into run stance and better options from the stance.

Are none of the DOA characters as powerful as the VF characters?

Not even close. I'd say the VF characters are SS-tier. The closest DOA character is A-tier. The top tier DOA characters can compete, but it's an uphill battle. Bass vs. Akira or Sarah is just a nightmare... such a hard fight for Bass.

Even if they end up top tier I doubt those two will be at the VERY top. I'll be a monkey's uncle if they end up as the literal #1 and #2 of the game.

They're faster and have more frame advantage than any DOA character. Their only weakness is the damage output, and that really doesn't matter in this case. The only chance a DOA character has against the VF characters (played at a high level) is if they can counter well. And that has nothing to do with the abilities of the characters.

Shut up about OP andd tiers before the game comes out, and Akiras guard frame is Sidesteppable... in VF, if you just block vs Akira, you get raped, if TN was to stay true to the character traits from VF, he needs to stay the same.

How are you going to step his safe/advantage tracking moves? o_0

I'm not saying Akira is OP. He's beatable, but he's far better than any DOA character. No amount of stepping is going to change that. You can step every character in the game.

What information can you give about her Dogg ?

She was featured in the story mode trailer, has a French accent and there are pictures of her in the new Famitsu (supposedly).

Yes, I'm a wealth of knowledge.

Tier is irrelevant.

That's my humble opinion.

Most people misunderstand the point of tiers. It's not meant to determine who can win and who can't. It's just a power ranking that essentially tells you who has the best tools to win. The fact that you won a tournament with Brad Wong does not make him anything other than low tier.

im just going to say this unblockable Akira combo isnt going to be as powerful in DOA5 cause everyone can just counter the dam thing.its like that article said crossing over to a different franchise opens up more options and for DOA that happens to be the counters.i think a few have them in VF and from my limited play with Goh they arnt nearly as powerful or easy to use as DOA's

Actually, it will be more powerful. He's one of the few (only?) characters who gets an unholdable combo if you block a fast, high attack. Sure, you can counter it or step it... doesn't reduce the threat of the attack though. And that's just one of many options in his tool set.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Thanks for the info, Dogg. I guess we can expect to see VF characters dominating the DOA scene, as strange as that will be.

DrDogg

Thanks for the info, Dogg. I guess we can expect to see VF characters dominating the DOA scene, as strange as that will be.

No one outside of Tecmo has played a final build yet, and the team is constantly making changes. I wouldn't say anything is set in stone yet.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Plus, in this day and age, a patch can be done. But personally I'd prefer the launch dust to settle before a patch is released unless something is SEVERELY broken (and only that gets fixed).

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
personally I'd prefer the launch dust to settle before a patch is released unless something is SEVERELY broken (and only that gets fixed).

Yeah, but developers tend to want to randomly make extra changes to various things in addition to the actual solutions that the patch was intended for. Hopefully they don't fuck anything up if they do that with DOA5.

Arnell Long

Still unfortunate she don't have great tools for competitive play. What do you think they could do to make her more viable while keeping her mix up style?

I said this August 16th on Facebook:

It's obvious that most of Lisa's best moves can be interrupted on reaction. If she had.......

More guard breaks and guaranteed followups like Tina, Bass, Christie, Bayman, etc.

Better attack speed and lessen the recovery of some of her more useful attacks.

Make the last punch to P, P, P a guard break so the back flip at the end can be a guaranteed hit if they don't duck or interrupt the last high punch.

Counters that leave her at an advantage for a followed up attack.

Being able to grab grounded opponents like Bayman, Bass, Leon, and Tina aka the other grapplers like her.

Give her a low grab from her back turned stance.

A solid mid kick launcher, basically give her a least 2 more reliable launchers.

Her "windmill into mid kick" aka 1+K into K should knock the opponent to a sit down stun down on normal hit so you can follow up with the Kick afterwards or the grab since that setups was way to easy for most people to read in DOA4.

These small list of changes would benefit her greatly.

KwonJigglypuff

Hmmmm is it like normal that the guests in a fighting game are God Tier ? I mean, isn't it like an "agreement" from Konami to Nintendo (SSBB/Snake) for example.

"You want our characters in your game ? Okay, well we want money.. and make them God Tier!"

Paulina

No one outside of Tecmo has played a final build yet, and the team is constantly making changes. I wouldn't say anything is set in stone yet.
DrDogg, would it be possible to send those Lisa upgrade suggestions (and ones for other doomed characters, like Brad, and potentially Helena) to TN? As the writer of the Prima strategy guide, you're clearly more than qualified, and your suggestions sound great. At the last tourney, at Hot Import Nights, Rikuto classified Lisa (and Brad too, I assume) as "parlor trick characters" -- i.e. pretty much useless in legitimate play. He literally said they were "bad to use." I know there will always be high-middle-low tier, but that degree of worthlessness is pretty upsetting.

Sorry for singling you out. I just think you probably carry a bit more clout with TN than the rest of us schmucks. ^^"

DrDogg

Hmmmm is it like normal that the guests in a fighting game are God Tier ? I mean, isn't it like an "agreement" from Konami to Nintendo (SSBB/Snake) for example.

"You want our characters in your game ? Okay, well we want money.. and make them God Tier!"

No. In this case it's just that in order for the VF characters to play anything like their VF5FS counterparts, they walk all over the DOA characters. In VF a lot of attacks are safe and/or advantage, in DOA most attacks are unsafe. Two different games.

Doug Nguyen

Thats kinda too bad that the VF characters are better than DOA. But its ok, as long as your a good player you will be able to beat any character regardless of tier, its just gonna be harder probably.

KwonJigglypuff

I guess a ground throw makes sense since Lisa is a grappler. Doesn't the fact that she is a grappler now helps her in DOA5 ? She could have the ground throw from that tag move with Hitomi at 5:54.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD