"I'm no pushover sweetie." - The DOA5 Sarah General Discussion Thread

Dave

I'm in the same boat as you. I found this link really helpful though, for DOA basics.
http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...training-suggestion-for-aspiring-players.166/

As for learning Sarah, it's really awkward for me, I know that. Seems like coming from maining VF5:FS Sarah to playing DOA5 Sarah is like going from VF3 Sarah to VF5 Sarah -- the playstyles are totally different, and its like starting all over again

Isn't it though? Feels like I'm starting over completely.

Ri0xMcFly

honestly i loved the virtua fighter series but i never was any good at it! This game i actually picked her up and im not that bad! the first 3 days tho i felt soooooo lost and dropping combos.

Dave

honestly i loved the virtua fighter series but i never was any good at it! This game i actually picked her up and im not that bad! the first 3 days tho i felt soooooo lost and dropping combos.

See, I've played more Virtua Figher only because that series was around longer. I've always played as Sarah and her brother. I've gotten good at doing a lot of the combos in the games (VF5FS) and in this game they have tweaked a few of the moves around. I have to get used to that. But other than that they transitioned her along with the rest of the VF players smoothly. I love the new Sarah model. So crazy how it looks more like her than SEGA's models do. But that's to do with the engines and such.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
I barely touched Virtua Fighter, and when I did, I didn't play Sarah. All I know is, I got done with her training mode, and as a DOA player I'm pretty shocked about her moves. She has a crazy amount of stuff and she appears super advanced. to me as a doa4 player.

Arklight

I'm having a hard time executing Sarah's Tail Sweep. I might be an idiot but the booklet doesnt explain what the little triangles on the move symbols mean. Tail Sweep is Left, PKH+K, the punch has an triangle pointing to the top right, what does that mean?

I cant view the demo cus my Madcatz SE doesnt have an R3 button on it :S

BLACKSTAR

The triangle shaped 'arrow' over the :P: really only means that it is a high move

If the triangle arrow....

....points diagonal up-right = high-hitting move
....points right = mid-hitting move
....points diagonal down-right = low-hitting move

P.S. Now the :K: of the Tail Sweep has both a high-move AND a mid-move arrow. Why is that? While doing :4::P::K:, if you press :K: a second time during the 2nd (mid-hitting) standing sidekick of the move, you will execute a third (high hitting) kick.

Arklight

Hey thanks for explaining Blackstar :) I've managed to get her Tail Sweep done after watching a youtube vid of all her moves in training mode. Might be useful for others too so here's the link:

Raze

Quit a few things I don't like about the changes to her in DOA5, like her :P: :+: :K: Sabaki was nerfed down too much imo. Wish they would have left some of her standard combos alone, that being said she's probably my best character atm in DOA5. She just feels too different and awkward from FS to DOA5, so she may not be my main, changing up that many her move properties is less than exciting. Executing her just frame kicks in DOA is pretty terrible in comparison to FS, but her hit throws aren't bad, and were handled really well. Not being able to customize her like in FS hurts, I have no idea why DOA is so behind the curve on that. I did play DOAU a lot (and really liked it) so i'm familiar with the franchise and folks like dogg who popped in our rooms and used Helena back then..

The positives for Sarah here are that she gets good stuns on most hits it seems, so she doesn't really need flamingo as much, which is good. Her slide and step are better in DOA5 then FS, as they are almost completely useless in FS, and are 100% unsafe there. SEGA nerfed almost everyone down outside of the top 5 which got incredibly powered up. So nerfs aren't something everyone isn't use to, except for Akira players! Overall she seems like a solid character in DOA and as far as tiers go is probably stronger in DOA then in FS (which is rather tier heavy if people are gonna be honest). Another plus is her combo damage is pretty good and she still has her varied launchers intact. If you new Sarah players aren't familiar Sarah's :3: :P: :+: :K: you should start trying to work it into your game.

DR2K

Her stance transitions take a lot of adjusting, and a few of her combos have been changed signifigantly, but overall she's starting to feel like her VF5FS self the more I play as her.

GLoRToR

Noobish question here, but "While stepping forwards" with a portion of her moves means 66 from Flamingo or 4P+K ?

MagnusCore

Hey all! I'm running IGN's DOA5 wiki and I just finished getting our Sarah page up. She's obviously a super technical character, so there will always be more to write, but here is what I've started with:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dead-or-alive-5/Sarah

Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything you guys want to add, you're more than welcome to!

splslick

How much different is the gamescon's build compared to the retail version of the game? I sort of forgot that Emperorcow released a combo vid so I was wondering if all of those combos still work. Also, does weight affect combos in this game like they do in VF5FS? I am away from my ps3 to try it out D:

MagnusCore

How much different is the gamescon's build compared to the retail version of the game? I sort of forgot that Emperorcow released a combo vid so I was wondering if all of those combos still work. Also, does weight affect combos in this game like they do in VF5FS? I am away from my ps3 to try it out D:

Weight definitely affects combos. Characters are classed as light, medium and heavy weights. Also like VF, some combos will only work from an open or closed stance.

I haven't tested the combos from Emperor Cow's vid, but watching it again, most of them look easible. I have to try them out myself though.

splslick

Weight definitely affects combos. Characters are classed as light, medium and heavy weights. Also like VF, some combos will only work from an open or closed stance.

I haven't tested the combos from Emperor Cow's vid, but watching it again, most of them look easible. I have to try them out myself though.

thanks for the quick reply....Definitely going to have to test to make sure the combos that I use work on all of the characters :D

splslick

How do you tell the difference between open and close stance? I tend to confuse the two a lot =[

MasterHavik

Uh...I'm trying to get through her commands guys. Is there a way to get her back turn? I'm really liking her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD